Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2022, 00:01   #1276
sbm
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatt View Post
Agreed with your general feeling - Harrier XT seems to be BAD value compared to XUV 7oo AX5 if features are compared head to head. However, I would compare the 2 as below (to clarify, I am a Harrier owner) -

Getting a car delivered when required vs 1 - 1.5 years later - Intangible value

Looks a million bucks(read #Dark edition) vs above average - again intangible value

Better dynamics owing to LR Platform - again reasonably intangible value over lots of blingy features one may not use after the first few months

Also, Tata does offer strong discounts on the Harrier. Depends on the dealer too. Hope this helps with your predicament a bit
These are indeed the things I personally feel are better in the Harrier. It looks a lot better than any other SUV below 25l and waiting period on XUV is literally in years In my opinion getting a GNCAP rating for the Harrier would be a great tangible advantage that would compensate for its other shortcomings. By the way, can you share the discount you got on your Harrier?

Last edited by sbm : 14th March 2022 at 00:09.
Old 14th March 2022, 11:23   #1277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post
Hello guys. I am comparing the Harrier XT and XUV700 AX5 diesel manual variants and I am unable to comprehend how TATA is still asking 17.21L ex showroom as compared to 16.67L of the XUV.
For a moment leave the price part. How did the models fare in your test drive? Did you compare handling, braking, pick up, cornering etc? Coz the features inside would support the driving pleasure you will have when behind the wheels. If you havent taken a Test drive, do so preferably back to back to short list based on VFM.

Disclaimer: I am a Harrier owner and had taken TD's of both car models (different variants though)
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 12:16   #1278
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
For a moment leave the price part. How did the models fare in your test drive? Did you compare handling, braking, pick up, cornering etc? Coz the features inside would support the driving pleasure you will have when behind the wheels. If you haven't taken a Test drive, do so preferably back to back to short list based on VFM.

Disclaimer: I am a Harrier owner and had taken TD's of both car models (different variants though)
I did test drive the Harrier but unfortunately, XUV700 diesel was not available for td here. The Harrier did feel good, the engine was quite silent going by 2L standards and turbo lag was well contained. Overall I liked the particular model of Harrier but I would be able to compare it with XUV only after test drive.
Old 15th March 2022, 09:59   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
For a moment leave the price part. How did the models fare in your test drive? Did you compare handling, braking, pick up, cornering etc? Coz the features inside would support the driving pleasure you will have when behind the wheels. If you havent taken a Test drive, do so preferably back to back to short list based on VFM.

Quote:
I did test drive the Harrier but unfortunately, XUV700 diesel was not available for td here. The Harrier did feel good, the engine was quite silent going by 2L standards and turbo lag was well contained. Overall I liked the particular model of Harrier but I would be able to compare it with XUV only after test drive.
As someone in the same boat, let me put my 2 paise worth:

I am in the market for a comfortable 5 seater SUV and did back-to-back TDs of both Harrier and XUV700. While XUV 700 trumps Harrier on the features front, I felt that Harrier is well put together, and felt more tight (not sure how to express the feeling in words ) ). XUV700 does not have a top-end 5 seater trim - the AX5 trim missed many essential features. To get all the features I liked in XUV, I have to get AX7L pack, which costs more than Harrier and I have to keep the rear seats folded down always to get the boot space required - which was not a really enticing option for me.

On the drive front, I felt that XUV700 soaks the potholes and bumps in city speeds better than Harrier, but felt harrier has a decent edge on highway speeds. Steering feedback of XUV700 was not to my liking and I enjoyed the steering feedback of Harrier better (but that horn pad is an eyesore - probably the cheapest piece of plastic in the whole cabin, staring at your face always- why TATA, WHY )

While on most parameters XUV and Harrier are evenly matched or XUV is having a small edge, there are 3 parameters where Harrier trumped XUV for me:
1. Sound system - the Sony system in XUV 700 AX7L pack can't even hold a candle to the Harman system in Harrier.

2. Looks - Harrier in Dark Edition guise is proper gangsta, while XUV700 looks like someone trying to impress too hard. Purely personal views and I know there are a whole lot of people who love the looks of XUV700, but it is just not for me.

3. Drive comfort - While XUV700 is not bad by any stretch of the imagination, I was more impressed by the on-road manners of Harrier.

4. Last but the most important factor - Park your car and walk away, and while I did not even turn back and looked at XUV after the TD, I was looking back at Harrier with a huge grin on my face - Harrier tugged the right strings in my heart and I knew that even if I ended up buying XUV700, every time I see a Harrier Dark Edition, I will feel a flutter in my heart.

So, end of the day, I booked a Harrier Dark Edition XZ+ and the car reached the yard yesterday. Did the PDI too and is eagerly waiting for the delivery.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 14:18   #1280
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
As someone in the same boat, let me put my 2 paise worth:.

On the drive front, I felt that XUV700 soaks the potholes and bumps in city speeds better than Harrier, but felt harrier has a decent edge on highway speeds. Steering feedback of XUV700 was not to my liking and I enjoyed the steering feedback of Harrier better (but that horn pad is an eyesore - probably the cheapest piece of plastic in the whole cabin, staring at your face always- why TATA, WHY )

--Anoop
When I test drove Harrier, I too felt that it was not absorbing the road undulations at city speeds. Same thing happens in my current car and I don't like it. But Harrier was very comfortable at high speeds over broken patches of road. I feel that a compromise has been made to enhance high speed stability over bad roads. About the looks, not once has it happened that my head didn't turn when I see a Harrier on the road. I guess TATA is playing on our emotions here why do we offer features at par with the competition when guys are already drooling over this one
sbm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 14:58   #1281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When I test drove Harrier, I too felt that it was not absorbing the road undulations at city speeds. Same thing happens in my current car and I don't like it. But Harrier was very comfortable at high speeds over broken patches of road.
Check the review of the Altroz by PrasannaDhana. He says that he reduces the tyre pressure to below recommended levels in city, and has found the ride to be much better. His thoughts - recommended pressure is higher than required to help give better FE as desired by most folks)... and the car can be driven just fine even with a lower pressure.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 20:44   #1282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Check the review of the Altroz by PrasannaDhana. He says that he reduces the tyre pressure to below recommended levels in city, and has found the ride to be much better. His thoughts - recommended pressure is higher than required to help give better FE as desired by most folks)... and the car can be driven just fine even with a lower pressure.
It may be ok in short term, but if we drive regularly with less than recommend pressure, the side walls will develop cracks early in the life cycle. Learned then lesson in the hard way

So, be very careful if someone is planning to drive regularly with less than recommend air pressure.

--Anoop
Old 16th March 2022, 21:32   #1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBorne View Post
Hey VK, was curious as to what kind of sound deadening did you do? While current NVH levels are good, they can definitely be better.

Also could you describe point 1 in detail. Being a new Harrier owner - I am more than usual paranoid for any sound that comes in car. Initially there were small kich kich sounds in my car while going over bumps. Those sounds have settled quite significantly with usage. I think it was probably a mix of plastic covers on sheet and the different panels adjusting to their own sweet positions.

Can totally relate to third point. Not dependable ever - it still shows the first drive I did after installing it as the latest drive.

I am able to solve 4 in my case (6'1''). I would have probably liked the steering reach travel to be a little more.
Sorry for very delayed response. I used Bluepaunk sheets for deadening. They were used in doors and boot. I wanted to put it under the hood also but did not do it as the sound deadening material existing there can not be removed. Effect is good. I think if we can get it done on the floor, then it can be more effective.
Old 18th March 2022, 14:35   #1284
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Hi,

If you are looking for a car like experience, as is expected from a monocoque crossover like the Creta, you will be disappointed with the Harrier. Especially the manual.

Truth be told, if I didn't know any better and was driving the Harrier for the first time without any prior knowledge, I would wager it was a BoF vehicle. The steering + notchy gearbox + clutch tuning + drivetrain clunks + average outside visibility doesn't help matters.

If your usage is only city, would advise to check out the automatic also or maybe other options in the market.

But if atleast 30% of your usage will be for long trips, please do go for a long highway TD. You will love the Harrier.

Edit: Just now saw the other replies.

Dunno...Maybe take a TD of the Compass. Overpriced it is, but guess you will find what you are looking in it.
Was going through the thread and found this discussion about hard clutch in Harrier. I recently test drove a Safari and I assume both Harrier and Safari will have same drive experience so here is my two cents so that a comparison can be made between new and old Harrier. Let me compare the clutch hardness with some other popular cars. If you've ever driven a 1.3diesel in Dzire, Scross or swift then you would know that they had a hard clutch. Compared to these cars, Harrier clutch felt like a petrol car's clutch. Now coming to Creta diesel, it has the lightest clutch in diesel cars today. Compared to Creta, Harrier's Clutch was around 15-20% harder. I currently drive a petrol Baleno and I would say that Harrier's clutch is light for a 2l diesel engine and the throw was not long but average. Coming to the steering, it was not hard. The normal weight of Hydraulic steering can be felt at parking speeds but it's nowhere tiring. The most irritating thing was the dashboard hitting my knee at certain sitting heights and that miniscule dead pedal. I am unable to comprehend how designers fail at this, I mean it's a big and wide car and they can provide all the knee room and deal pedal they want but they just won't. I guess the designers are not enthusiasts themselves. They don't observe these small things while driving their own cars or may be they don't ever drive and just relax in the rear seat.
Old 18th March 2022, 15:43   #1285
Distinguished - BHPian

@sbm - Your observations on the 1.3 MJD are not consistent with how they are, there is a lot of difference between 1.3 in Swft and the bigger Maruti vehicles. The issue with Harrier MT clutch is not just the weight of it there is more to it. The issue with steering as well is not just with the weight of it.

As BHPian Dicky has mentioned , MT version of Harrier and its twin are not an easy vehicle to drive in city traffic or crowded highways. It is surprising that a crossover feels that heavy when the whole point of that concept is to provide SUV like utility while being as friendly as a car to drive.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 17:26   #1286
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
@sbm - Your observations on the 1.3 MJD are not consistent with how they are, there is a lot of difference between 1.3 in Swft and the bigger Maruti vehicles. The issue with Harrier MT clutch is not just the weight of it there is more to it. The issue with steering as well is not just with the weight of it.

As BHPian Dicky has mentioned , MT version of Harrier and its twin are not an easy vehicle to drive in city traffic or crowded highways. It is surprising that a crossover feels that heavy when the whole point of that concept is to provide SUV like utility while being as friendly as a car to drive.
My daily driver is a 2015 petrol Baleno. It has a light clutch and a hard (&pathetic) steering.I agree that MT Harrier is heavier to drive as compared to Creta/Seltos but I felt that clutch on Harrier was not much harder than my car and Steering was lighter than first gen Baleno. Overally it didn't felt significantly heavier to drive than my current car. It is possible that my observation might not be consistent with others as a lot of subjectivness is involved here but I have extensively driven new gen diesel Dzire and Scross diesel first gen and significantly more clutch effort was required on these cars as compared to my Baleno. Can you please clarify the issues related to clutch and steering on Harrier? It would be very helpful.

Last edited by sbm : 18th March 2022 at 17:28.
sbm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 09:36   #1287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Was going through the thread and found this discussion about hard clutch in Harrier...... Creta diesel, it has the lightest clutch in diesel cars today. Compared to Creta, Harrier's Clutch was around 15-20% harder. I currently drive a petrol Baleno and I would say that Harrier's clutch is light for a 2l diesel engine and the throw was not long but average. Coming to the steering, it was not hard. The normal weight of Hydraulic steering can be felt at parking speeds but it's nowhere tiring.
I did mention the clutch tuning, not the hardness of the clutch. When I jump from something like a Fluence D into the Harrier, the Harrier clutch feels like an i20 diesel clutch. So smooth and easy. My Etios D has a way harder clutch than the Harrier, but the pedal travel is short and the actuation/biting point(?) is oh-so perfect. My problem with the Harrier clutch is the tuning bit. The travel is long, the biting point is way off and you can't drive the vehicle smoothly in slow moving traffic. It is a combination of engine tuning, clutch feel and the gearbox that makes it feel as if the vehicle is cumbersome. I don't find it comfortable even after raking up thousands of kilometres. Though on the open highway, it is another matter altogether. It is a mile muncher, as long as you are careful with steering inputs. Which brings us to the steering. It is easy for a hydraulic steering and is direct too. Though, a bit too direct. If I may adopt an old terminology, the steering feels over servoed. Maybe okay in a low slung sedan, but not in a high riding vehicle. Also a bit inconsistent in feeling.

I do enjoy driving similarly priced BoF vehicles, so nothing against the usual BoF driving characteristics. But at the end of the day, the Harrier is a FWD monocoque crossover, which I believe should give it a refined nature. Though, my friend who owns the Harrier is happy with it as he feels the driving nature gives it that rough SUV manly feel, and finds it tough to upgrade.

My views are from driving the '19 Harrier. The updated one maybe has improved and the automatic will surely be even better.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 13:47   #1288
sbm
BHPian

After streching my already stretched budget by a few more lakhs, ton of research on DPF issues, and ignoring the potential average after sales suplrt, I might be finally zeroing in on my next car (saying might be because I have been searching since a few months and still won't believe myself until I get the car finally home ) Need a few inputs from you guys which might be the final push for me.
1) Read about steering issues in earlier Harrier being too light at high speeds. Does 2022 Harrier have the same issue or is it resolved now?
2) I test drove the manual Safari and I am assuming the drive experience would be the same on Harrier. Is my assumption correct or are there any minor changes in clutch and steering which make the Safari easy to drive. I have posted previously about my experience and would like to clarify that I didn't find the clutch hard or hard to modulate ( did another td to check again, the SA was really cool). The steering not heavy at parking speed but it had a sort of light kickback when going through potholes at turns. What might be the reason for this?
3) My budget restricts me to XT variant and there are two color options I am considering, Daytona grey and Orcus white ( I like black but TATA seem to be forcing me to XT+ for that and it's very difficult for me push more). Which color would suit the Harrier better? Guys with Daytona grey Harrier pls share some pics of your ride. I have owned white Baleno and feel that it's evergreen color but I would like to change.

Harrier if finalised would be a heart over mind decision for me so I might be kind of obsessing on minor things but I believe many of us Bhpians share the same traits.

Last edited by sbm : 23rd March 2022 at 13:48.
sbm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 15:37   #1289
BHPian

Quote:
Guys with Daytona grey Harrier pls share some pics of your ride...
The 3rd image in this post (2021 Tata Safari Review) is closest to the colour in natural light.
Old 25th March 2022, 10:31   #1290
Senior - BHPian

I took the delivery of Harrier Dark Edition on March 18th. The booking was made on Feb 9th and delivery was promised within 4 to 6 weeks and KHT did manage to keep their promise, even though there was some delay to get the car shipped from the yard after allocation.

The experience with KHT was very good, right from the first interaction over the phone and it was only because of their proactiveness I decided to book from KHT Whitefiled (which is around 20KM from my home) instead of booking at Kropex which is hardly 2 KM from my home. They also gave a very good deal when I exchanged my Vista, so it was a cherry on the top.

They never pushed for any accessory packages or any extras to be bought and never even pushed for the insurance also. They assured me that they will match the quote I get from outside and then it is my discretion if I take it from them or from outside. The other thing I liked is the welcome e-mail which looped a couple of higher-ups in KHT and in Tata and they were always very prompt to reply to any e-mail or WhatsApp communication from me.

The delivery was a standard affair - both KHT Domlur and KHT Whitefield showrooms have delivery from KHT Yard near Phoneix Market City and I counted at least 15 deliveries in around 2 hours we spend there and I saw another 15-20 cars getting ready for delivery. The delivery bay can accommodate 3 cars at a time and even though the deliveries were accompanied by unveiling the car and key handover ceremony, it all felt very industrial. A small token of appreciation from Tata (some sweets\a small gift) and probably an individual delivery area could have made the experience better.

After delivery, we drove the car to the nearest Shell and did a tankful, and then went to Konark cars, Jayanagar to put 7D mats.

I got feedback calls from both Tata and KHT and I expressed my points about delivery to KHT - and to my surprise, the lady told me that they have got this same complaint from many and they started cake cutting ceremony for all deliveries from 19th

A note of thanks to Mr. Sainaveen (my SA) and Mr. Abhishek (his Team Lead) for the seamless experience.

Without further ado, let me introduce Strider, the black beast:

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 25th March 2022 at 10:33.
theexperthand is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks