Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2019, 19:46   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Review

A very negative feedback has come in for the DCT's !! Apparently there are heating issues with it, in bumper to bumper traffic !! Therefore totally negating the whole point of an automatic transmission ! The problem has also been reported in the KIA Seltos DCT

Hope they sort this out before the word gets out in the market, and they loose credibility !

I have driven the Audi A4, Q3, Freelander in bumper to bumper traffic in Gurgaon & Delhi. Never EVER had a problem. I'm given to understand, that the issue is because of a DRY Clutch setup in the DCT. No CVT's or TC units have had this overheating issue

Hope this is useful to prospective buyers

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 14th October 2019 at 19:49.
Ricky_63 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 01:04   #77
BHPian

I read about this issue last week while researching about Venue. After going back and forth, we went ahead and booked a Venue DCT for my parents because of the following reasons.
- They hardly use their vehicle (clocked 49,000 kms in their 9 year old Polo)
- There isnt a lot of stop and go traffic in their place.

I hope Hyundai looks into this issue before the outburst happens.

During my research, i also came across a technical paper about this transmission. Sharing the link for anyone who might be interested - https://www.atz-magazine.com/downloa...%20Hyundai.pdf.
vj123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 16:55   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
i think the Venue AT is available from revv in Bangalore. It's not showing up in other cities.
Yes, I had hired a Venue 1.0 Petrol Turbo DCT (No. KA03AH2885) with 6500 kms on the odo, from REVV earlier this month Ex Bangalore and drove it for about a thousand kms over 4 days in the hinterlands of Karnataka. Roads were a mix of open highways and some hilly roads. The route was BLR-Halebidu-Belur-Chikmangluru-Agumbe-Chikmangluru-Somvarpet-Madikeri-BLR. Overall, the car was trouble free, however two issues are noteworthy.

Firstly, when crawling slowly behind a truck going uphill on a single road, you spot a gap and want an immediate burst of power, the car lets you down pretty badly. You then realise how long a second is!
Secondly, in bumper to bumper traffic of BLR, while coming to a dead halt from D1, the car judders like you have stopped a manual car without pressing the clutch.
Overall trip mileage was 13.8.
Interestingly, a couple months ago I hag hired a Swift Petrol AMT with about 4000 kms on the odo from REVV. I drove it like a manual i.e. lifting off the A pedal, like you would in a manual, to let the car shift gears. worked like a charm! Icing on the cake was that I got a mileage of close to 20 over a similar route! Road holding and handling of the Swift was also wayyy better than the Venue.
windiesel is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 17:42   #79

Still not entirely convinced of the trend of manufacturers moving towards small capacity turbocharged petrol engines. Their reliability vs their N/A counterparts is still unproven and logic says that they need more meticulous maintenance owing to the many fold rise in boost pressures within the cylinder and need for continuous supply of good oil for turbo and intercooler. Moreover, in lag situations it's gonna be particularly difficult to expect power delivery because it is a very small capacity engine and without the turbo spooling yet, the power on tap is going to be insufficient. However, I still hope these engines are well tested and the potential issues are well taken into consideration while designing and hope the users have a long and reliable ownership.
SydNaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 21:35   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Secondly, in bumper to bumper traffic of BLR, while coming to a dead halt from D1, the car judders like you have stopped a manual car without pressing the clutch.

Interestingly, a couple months ago I hag hired a Swift Petrol AMT with about 4000 kms on the odo from REVV. I drove it like a manual i.e. lifting off the A pedal, like you would in a manual, to let the car shift gears. worked like a charm!
Strange, my experience of Venue Petrol DCT is polar opposite! On 15th of this month, I drove the SX AT Test Drive car for around 15 kms, half of which was on busy Gurgaon Golf course road but never felt any judder or jerk. As mentioned in the review, gear shifts were imperceptible. Frankly, I expected the TD vehicle to show some signs of abuse but nothing was there.

Had driven a Nexon petrol AMT (TD vehicle again) on the same route and same day. Venue felt much more smooth and peppier. I would say that it's the second best AT in Compact SUV segment, slightly lagging behind EcoSport (that 1.5L dragon is in a different league!).

Did you drive the Swift in bumper to bumper traffic? My Dzire AMT literally goes crazy in such conditions and co-passengers think I can't drive
DaptChatterjee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 12:44   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

There are 3 DCT SX Venue owner colleagues in my office so I see/hear these cars often. Typical to new Hyundais, the cars honk to acknowledge lock-unlock signals from fob. The horns on these cars are a bit too meek aren't they? Sounds like a single unit made to cost. The horn no the i20 for instance - sounds so much better. A proper dual tone unit. While I am totally against honking altogether, I'd prefer to have a good sounding unit for a car above 1 million rupees nonetheless. Any thoughts from owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydNaz View Post
Still not entirely convinced of the trend of manufacturers moving towards small capacity turbocharged petrol engines. Their reliability vs their N/A counterparts is still unproven and logic says that they need more meticulous maintenance owing to the many fold rise in boost pressures within the cylinder and need for continuous supply of good oil for turbo and intercooler.
Well - a decade back, people said similar things about the remarkably small SDE from Fiat. 1248CC turbo diesel. Rest is history. The engine literally ruled & continues to rule. As long as engines are freely revving, working with turbo lag is quite easy. A correctly sized turbo unit ensures the spool up it as lowest possible RPMs while maintaining a healthy spread of torque curve. Most engine makers have mastered this art now.

And small turbo GDI engines aren't new either. The technology has existed since a long while now, it just wasn't mainstream due to NA engines being cheaper and people preferring cheaper cars to own. Now people are ready to spend a lot more for quite small cars. So having costlier technology is possible & we are seeing these engines in mass market cars more and more.

What you are saying is right of course. An NA engine is always going to be simpler to build & easier to maintain. But then there are drawbacks too. You need a larger engine to get comparable power figures. That means less mileage, more pollution & more NVH. Cost of materiel is also high for large engines now a days & so are the components costly for a heavy engine. Quite a catch 22.

Realistically, smaller engines is the future for sustainability. As much as we like the sound of a sweet V10 from the McLarens and Ferraris of the Schumacher-Hakkinen era & those mean machines under the Cameros and Mustangs - we can not really drive them as daily commuter for too long. Even Formula one now uses V6 1.6 L turbo engines in fact. So small for almost a thousand bhp of power! And these are far more robust & reliable than what those good old V10s and V8s could ever be.
Reinhard is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 20:03   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
A very negative feedback has come in for the DCT's !! Apparently there are heating issues with it, in bumper to bumper traffic !! Therefore totally negating the whole point of an automatic transmission ! The problem has also been reported in the KIA Seltos DCT

Hope they sort this out before the word gets out in the market, and they loose credibility !

I have driven the Audi A4, Q3, Freelander in bumper to bumper traffic in Gurgaon & Delhi. Never EVER had a problem. I'm given to understand, that the issue is because of a DRY Clutch setup in the DCT. No CVT's or TC units have had this overheating issue

Hope this is useful to prospective buyers

Cheers
Not sure how Hyundai is going to address this. There should be no easy solution for them too.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Venue : Official Review-7182d1166a9d4a21b975e730b7a05e25.jpeg  

Hyundai Venue : Official Review-fe0ce6e7d5704a72ad9b4d801df606af.jpeg  

agbenny is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 21:43   #83
BHPian

Most of the VW DSG issues were in a time people did not have social media.
Now, a single case of Gearbox failure will spread like wildfire. Hyundai-Kia should be careful here. Unlike VW Skoda, they are selling DCT in mass market budget cars, and Hyundai Kia sells around 7000 of these DCTs monthly. Any DCT failure will surely alienate a large number of consumers from the brand and also damage the company reputation especially that of Kia's. Its better if they can sort out these issues immediately and further extend the DCT warranties to atleast 7 years.

I was shocked to know that these were dry clutches being sold. For Indian conditions, I guess a TC or CVT is the better option.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 11:39   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
Most of the VW DSG issues were in a time people did not have social media.
Now, a single case of Gearbox failure will spread like wildfire. Hyundai-Kia should be careful here. Unlike VW Skoda, they are selling DCT in mass market budget cars, and Hyundai Kia sells around 7000 of these DCTs monthly. Any DCT failure will surely alienate a large number of consumers from the brand and also damage the company reputation especially that of Kia's. Its better if they can sort out these issues immediately and further extend the DCT warranties to atleast 7 years.

I was shocked to know that these were dry clutches being sold. For Indian conditions, I guess a TC or CVT is the better option.
Every Venue DCT, that runs in bumper to bumper traffic for 20-25 mins will show this overheat warning, and yesterday faced nasty jerks that lead the entire family to panic mode.
By God’s grace we got a small area to park aside for 10 mins, and the warning message went off, but we do not want to face a situation again after spending 13.5 L.

I am taking this to A.S.S and Hyundai, will keep posted if proper response from them.

Last edited by agbenny : 20th October 2019 at 11:44.
agbenny is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 12:40   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
There are 3 DCT SX Venue owner colleagues in my office so I see/hear these cars often....A proper dual tone unit. While I am totally against honking altogether, I'd prefer to have a good sounding unit for a car above 1 million rupees nonetheless. Any thoughts from owners?
Venue is equipped with dual tone horns which are similar to the ones on i20. The difference is that while in the i20, the horns are connected to the lock/unlock function, the Venue utilises a seperate single tone horn for the lock/unlock. It does sound meek and many also note about the same and bring it to my notice. But it does have one advantage, that one can simply unplug it and viola no more nuisance especially during odd hours.
a_myth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 11:02   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Every Venue DCT, that runs in bumper to bumper traffic for 20-25 mins will show this overheat warning, and yesterday faced nasty jerks that lead the entire family to panic mode.

Do post the response you get from the dealership workshop. I'm pretty sure they're going to say it's "normal" in bumper to bumper traffic !! Negates the whole point of an automatic

That's what the Kia workshop said !!

I'm glad I read this report, as I was inches away from replacing the Ecosport TDCi with the Venue DCT. I now think the sensible choice would be to stay put with MT or go with a TC automatic

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd October 2019 at 09:56. Reason: quote tags fixed
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 13:35   #87
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Top-spec Hyundai Venue to get dual-tone option

Quote:
Ideally they should offer DCT in top spec. That should be a welcome news.

Missing basic feature like rear wash-wipe in a 13L(blr OTR) car is criminal
I have been noticing significantly more Venue 1.0 models on the road, which is easy to spot with the red 'Turbo' badge. What I did observe are 3 out of 5 such sightings have a Rear Wash/Wiper.

So are people just opting for the Manual variant of the Turbo petrol, or have Hyundai silently started offering DCT Petrol in a higher(SXO) variant?
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 13:45   #88
Senior - BHPian

In India, getting stuck in traffic is the norm. If a transmission can't cope up with that and starts to overheat, it's better to avoid such transmission options. Getting the overheat warning in the urban environment is okay compared to getting stuck in highway traffic with family in the dead of night in a godforsaken place. Even with my CVT if there are longish stops at lights or traffic, I slip to neutral and pull up the handbrake to prevent transmission strain and brake pad wear. Now that we have a lot of mass market cars: Venue, Seltos and Hector, we'll definitely come to know as to the durability of the DCT in the coming years.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 21st October 2019 at 13:48.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:46   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Not sure how Hyundai is going to address this. There should be no easy solution for them too.
Same issues on the Seltos DCT as well. Can you please give us the driving scenario on this car before this warning message appeared?
Was it B2B traffic? - and for how long?
And was the driver feathering the brake to crawl forward or using it as a binary switch (fully depressed and fully released - which is the best way to use DCT)?

Thanks
rutwij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:34   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
Venue is equipped with dual tone horns which are similar to the ones on i20. The difference is that while in the i20, the horns are connected to the lock/unlock function, the Venue utilises a seperate single tone horn for the lock/unlock. It does sound meek and many also note about the same and bring it to my notice. But it does have one advantage, that one can simply unplug it and viola no more nuisance especially during odd hours.
Ah yes. Now I feel stupid. So Hyundai has taken a step in the right direction as they often do. The lock acknowledgement is less louder & annoying at night in apartment blocks.

And most importantly now its a very simple fix for those who don't like it. Just unplug the couplers. No need of fancy BCM controls & button combinations to enable/disable it. (Presuming disconnecting the horn doesn't create a BCM error code for electrical malfunction on every lock/unlock action.)
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks