Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2020, 11:11   #241
BHPian

Re: MG Hector : Official Review

The BS6 petrol deliveries have started.
Saw some FB posts discussing some minor cosmetic changes in the new version like - size of Start button, seat texture, easy opening tailgate etc.
And possibly a software update to AVN with addition functionality and enhanced smoothness and changes to Mid.
Any pics /insights will be super helpful.

Last edited by DASKD24 : 9th February 2020 at 11:14. Reason: Added a point
Old 9th February 2020, 19:47   #242
Senior - BHPian

3500 Kms Update

Heard about the update to the iSmart Infotainment system - V05.07, and I decided to take my Hector in.

I called them up an hour in advance and they were happy to help.

The update was made after connecting it to a pen drive with the updated software.
MG Hector : Official Review-img_20200209_135807.jpg

The update for a lock button on the home screen. Now we can turn off the screen and the music continues to play, and it also keeps you from being distracted while on the road.
MG Hector : Official Review-img_20200209_173657.jpg

There is a new theme called iSmart Grey which is pretty nice. The overall UI is snappier.
MG Hector : Official Review-img_20200209_173704.jpg
The reversing camera is still a bit laggy. And so is TomTom. The advisor said that it'll get updated in April from Tomtom's end.
MG Hector : Official Review-img_20200209_173649.jpg

The entire process took 20 mins. They asked if I'd like a car was and I replied in the affirmative. They washed the car really well, vacuumed the interiors, polished the exterior as well. Took all of 1 hour. Loved it.
MG Hector : Official Review-img_20200209_162411.jpg

Bill came to Rs 0. Was offered refreshments and tea/coffee. Extremely courteous staff.

At the end, the car was shining and they did a small photo op. Handed me a box of Cadbury Celebrations.

Full marks to MG service. The experience continues to be fantastic.

Apologies that I can't post other pics of the workshop. Photography was not allowed.

Other points
:

- Very well equipped workshop. Best service experience I've had in a long time.

- There was a diesel which was having it's clutch replaced. The advisor was saying they get some cases on and off. People burning their clutch in bumper to bumper driving.

I've driven the Hector in Delhi traffic and I don't have any issue with the clutch. Probably has to do with the driving style. A lot of people ride the clutch / use half clutch in second gear in traffic. Could be the culprit.

MG is replacing the clutch sets for free.

- The fuel pump for the diesel variant is a bit loud. Not that it bothered me though. The advisor said some customers wanted a replacement and got one.

- They did a complete maintainence check up, even though it wasn't required at 3500 Kms. I'm doing a 1200 km road trip next weekend so it was good to get a report.

- The Fiat 2.0 diesel is a fantastic engine. I love what MG has done with it on the Hector. The power delivery is linear but it's no slouch. Easily provides the power for quick overtaking and is frugal as well.

- I'm getting an overall mileage of 15.7 Kmpl, mix of city and highway driving. Can't complain. Should go up further after the second service interval.

Last edited by coolkurt : 9th February 2020 at 19:48.
coolkurt is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 21:55   #243
Senior - BHPian

MG used Valentines day as a platform to spread a social message.

coolkurt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 12:14   #244
BHPian

Hey guys,

Conflicted between DCT Petrol and/or MT Diesel.
Usage is mostly around 50-60 kms per day, that too in Delhi city traffic and some in Noida.

Is there any change in the BS6 versions in terms of the gearbox shifting/mechanics or is it just an upgrade to accommodate the new fuel type.

I ask this as I previously drove the Petrol DCT sometime in October, 2019 and I did not like the gearbox much. It had a major lag issue when trying to accelerate after sudden braking and I found this to be an issue for myself, personally. Other thing was the average with the DCT, which was abysmally low.

At that time I also drove the MT Diesel and there was a huge difference. Much more powerful, much more smoother and overall a better experience. However now that most people (including myself) are preferring automatics for our daily use, cant seem to figure out which way to go.

Also, got a message from one of the dealers from MG recently which mentioned that they are offering an exclusive slot to previous owners who had booked the Hector, and then cancelled the same (I come under this as well). Now I am yet to get in touch with them, but I cant help but feel that they may be trying to offer me the BS4 versions as the recent Supreme Court ruling was that the date for BS6 will stay as on 31st March after which no BS4 car will be sold.
So if they are offering me a BS4 version, is it worth picking it up right now?

As always, would appreciate some feedback and thoughts from current owners of both the models, including future buyers as well.
TkyoPandaMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 20:19   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkyoPandaMan View Post
Hey guys,

Conflicted between DCT Petrol and/or MT Diesel.
Usage is mostly around 50-60 kms per day, that too in Delhi city traffic and some in Noida.

Is there any change in the BS6 versions in terms of the gearbox shifting/mechanics or is it just an upgrade to accommodate the new fuel type.
My daily running is 100 kms which is what prompted me to go for the diesel. The Fiat 2.0 is a fantastic engine and that gave me the assurance to go for a relatively unknown brand. My daily drive in Delhi traffic is around 40-50 kms and the balance is highway runs to gurgaon/greater Noida.

The diesel is a good performer and is frugal as well. I'm getting an overall mileage of 15.6 Kmpl after 4.5k kms.

The DCT had too much lag for my liking. And anything above 50 kms a day warrants a diesel. For your requirement, diesel fits the bill. It is the superior engine option as well.

There is no Diesel AT coming with BS6. MG has significant demand for DCT and Hybrid for it to get bothered. It remains to be seen how the 2020 Harrier affects it's sales.

If you need a Diesel AT, you'll have to look at other options like the Harrier.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 08:28   #246
Senior - BHPian

Small changes in the BS6 version:
  • New key fob design
  • Slightly different design of seat upholstery
  • Different start/stop button
  • If you stand beside the tailgate for 3 seconds, it will automatically open. The key fob needs to be present.

Source: FB Forum
Attached Thumbnails
MG Hector : Official Review-fb_img_1581994364664.jpg  

MG Hector : Official Review-fb_img_1581994360848.jpg  

MG Hector : Official Review-fb_img_1581994347187.jpg  

coolkurt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 13:47   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Small changes in the BS6 version:
  • New key fob design
  • Slightly different design of seat upholstery
  • Different start/stop button
  • If you stand beside the tailgate for 3 seconds, it will automatically open. The key fob needs to be present.

Source: FB Forum
In addition, I hear there are some changes to the MID as well. Hoping to get my car delivered by this weekend. Will figure out and share!!
DASKD24 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 13:05   #248
Senior - BHPian

MG Hector bookings cross 50,000 mark in 8 months

According to MG, it has received more than 50,000 bookings for the Hector in just 8 months since its launch.

MG Hector : Official Review-mg-hector.jpg

The Hector was launched in June 2019. MG claims to have sold nearly 20,000 units since then.

The MG Hector is powered by a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine that produces 141 BHP @ 5,000 rpm and 250 Nm of torque @ 1,600-3,600 rpm and a 2.0-litre diesel with 168 BHP @ 3,750 rpm and 350 Nm of torque @ 1,750-2,500 rpm. The petrol hybrid variant uses a 48-volt lithium-ion battery that offers an additional 20 Nm of torque assistance when required.

MG is planning to launch a 6-seater Hector called the Hector Plus in Q3 of 2020. This SUV was unveiled at the 2020 Auto Expo.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 13:57   #249
BHPian

Re: MG Hector bookings cross 50,000 mark in 8 months

The success of MG Hector is a milestone in view of the success of new players in a slowing market. The MG Hector's success and the subsequently Seltos success was the bright spot in Indian automotive industry during decline.

Also the MG Hector's success opens the doors for the Chinese players, which will increase the competition. For Chinese players also this is a good testing ground. Also, they are buying the plants vacated by American players.

Overall a good development for the market, players and consumers.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th February 2020 at 15:14. Reason: Please capitalize first letters of names, and use proper punctuation. Thanks.
bullock-Car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 15:15   #250
BHPian

Re: MG Hector bookings cross 50,000 mark in 8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to MG, it has received more than 50,000 bookings for the Hector in just 8 months since its launch.

Attachment 1971608

Link to Team-BHP News
Was the picture shot in Mettupalayam - Coonoor/Ooty route? As far as I know, The old bridge is closed. I would love a Shot there too.
gasinveins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 16:14   #251
Senior - BHPian

MG Hector has received 50,000 Bookings since it's launch

MG Hector : Official Review-fb_img_1582195252576.jpg

MG Motor made its domestic debut with the Hector towards the end of June 2019. It is hoping to build on the momentum created by the Hector by inaugurating new sales outlets in the tier-I and tier-II cities.

Also, I'm going to be making a highway run over the weekend. A road trip to Uttarakhand. Looking forward to the drive and sharing the experience later.

Last edited by coolkurt : 20th February 2020 at 16:16.
coolkurt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 11:56   #252
BHPian

Finally got the delivery of my Black DCT Sharp!!

Delivery experience was seamless and pleasant.

Driven extensively for last 4 days in city traffic, bad roads.

Never faced any challenges in moving through the traffic or negotiating anything. The steering makes it good to my liking for city drives. Yes there is a noticeable lag but not a dealbreaker at all.
Seating comfort, visibility outside, cushioning on bad roads all great!!
FE seems to be around 8ish, but didn’t do a rigorous testing yet.
Still getting used to Hello MG, but it works flawlessly.
Climate control is super strong
Audio setup and quality is Amazing.
Loving it so far!

Will share more detailed observations after a few weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Hector : Official Review-8fd54dc2fd404e8d8a46ae48f4064c04.jpeg  

DASKD24 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 19:53   #253
Senior - BHPian

MG Motor’s Feb 2020 Sales Drop By 56%

Quote:
MG Motor India has just announced the sale of 1,376 units in February 2020, down by 56 % from 3,130 Units sold in January due to the Coronavirus outbreak.

Speaking on the sales projection for March 2020, Rakesh Sidana, Director- Sales, MG Motor India, has expressed concern due to the unforeseen outbreak of Coronavirus that has affected the company’s Chinese and European suppliers quite hard. This has, in turn, led to hurdles in the production of the vehicles. However, the official hopes for the restoration of normalcy by the end of this month.
Source
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 06:15   #254
BHPian

Drove a cousin's Hector (Petrol + DCT).

1. The suspension setup is so well suited for our bad roads. Car glided through patched up roads and occasional small potholes.
2. NVH levels are good.
3. The sound quality and features is amazing! I loved the integration of the Gaana app which reduces the effort of people connecting their own phones.
4. That massive sunroof. It was my first experience with a panoramic sunroof and I am floored.

Dislikes

1. The petrol engine is supremely underpowered and slow to respond. It was like it was taking a couple of seconds to decide whether it should obey my acceleration command and then acted accordingly. Very disappointed on the engine front. I am used to the Octavia DSG so I failed to understand why this petrol+DCT combo took its own sweet time to respond. Was a deterrent in the city when I quickly wanted to accelerate and change lanes.
2. Chrome, chrome everywhere!
3. I felt the LED Headlights are underpowered. Luminosity shall reduce further as these age with use.
4. Did not like the rear bumper styling. Looked like an aftermarket replacement downloaded from NFS Underground days :P

Last edited by sharktale : 7th March 2020 at 06:16.
sharktale is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 17:29   #255
BHPian

I took delivery of my sharp dct on 26th feb, and went with MG to coorg on 29th. Oh, what an amazing drive and experience. Full marks to MG for the way they ran the show. Professional drivers were employed for the pilot and crew cars, walkie talkies provided to every car, professional RJ to give us company throught the journey, An ambulance for cover, great stays and activities, and a bit of steep climbs offloading. Made great friends along the way. Thank you MG.
PS. Not an employee of MG or its facilities and no financial benefits for this post :-)

Last edited by realactivex : 9th March 2020 at 17:30. Reason: Typo correct
realactivex is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks