Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2020, 12:07   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG Hector : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post

It seems the company is spending its resources and time in bullying people and trying to influence social media instead of fixing issues
Thats pretty horrific. Hope the driver got out safely. Edit: He apparently did. The car was a Petrol DCT. Apparently some wires caught fire. Needs to be assessed if any modification had been done by the owner.

Kindly don't generalize. Most of the buyers are pretty happy with their Hectors, including myself. The after sales experience has been top notch, the best I've experienced from a manufacturer till date. Every manufacturer has got considerable social media presence nowadays and employ influencers.

Last edited by coolkurt : 22nd January 2020 at 12:12.
coolkurt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 22:13   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post

One more catches fire. It seems the company is spending its resources and time in bullying people and trying to influence social media instead of fixing issues
This is from one of the FB groups on Hector.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Hector : Official Review-82988767_2830794630316925_145577740404260864_o.jpg  

DASKD24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 06:22   #228
Senior - BHPian

Videos on social media state that the fire went on for 15 minutes before fire tenders came in to put it out (also shown in the video).

Looking at the Vehicles on Fire thread and accidents thread, I wonder if auto manufacturers should include a fire extinguisher as standard.
In this case apparently noone died, but there have been several instances where people have been killed or burnt.
Also this letter stating that the fire may have been due to accessories has also been posted on Facebook. Is it a genuine letter?
MG Hector : Official Review-screenshot_202001230634132.png

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 23rd January 2020 at 06:36.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:11   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Is it a genuine letter?
Attachment 1959954
Apparently it is a genuine letter. It's being circulated along with an email reply of Mr Chaba regarding the same.

It does imply that the company cares for the safety of it's customers and will conduct an internal audit.

But it raises a lot of questions as well. How can third party accessories cause a fire so easily?

Where was the owner when the mishap happened?
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 16:54   #230
BHPian

Supposedly an official release from MG on the issue.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Hector : Official Review-b810c6c5869f4cd3bfd8399a46f71f6f.jpeg  

DASKD24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 17:11   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASKD24 View Post
Supposedly an official release from MG on the issue.
Such investigations generally takes few weeks to months. Looks fake. Not even the date and time of the incident under the consideration is mentioned. In officials statements a lot of factual details are provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Such investigations generally takes few weeks to months. Looks fake. Not even the date and time of the incident under the consideration is mentioned. In officials statements a lot of factual details are provided.
Update: Contrary to my speculation in the earlier post, the statement is not fake. It is even posted on the MG Motor's India's official twitter handle.

Last edited by ampere : 25th January 2020 at 18:23. Reason: back to back posts merged
beast_within is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 18:34   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
I would like to state otherwise. I'm no automobile expert but I know my cars. I've maintained my Punto and Civic over the last decade without support from the ASS.

When I looked under the hood of the Hector, I didn't see them skimping on any parts, neither is anything amiss quality wise as all branded parts are used. I had already posted about the parts in detail on the Hector thread.

Quote:

The engine block, the head of the 1.5-litre, four-cylinder turbocharged petrol - SGMW ( SAIC-GM-Wuling)

The oil filter and ignition coils - SGMW

The turbocharger unit - Honeywell Garrett ( manufactured in China for SGMW)

Intake manifold - Bosch ( manufactured in China for SGMW)

The intercooler and the 48V starter generator on the mild-hybrid - Valeo ( manufactured in China)

The Li-ion battery for the mild-hybrid - Bosch ( manufactured in China)

ORVMs - SMR (Samvardhana Motherson Reflectec), made in India

Glass - Saint Gobain India

Glass for the Sunroof - Imported from China

The airbag module, steering coil - Ningbo China

Seatbelts - Zhe Jiang SongYuan Automotive Safety Company, China
They even offer full wheel cladding on all wheels. A lot of other manufacturers don't offer that.

So I believe this statement and would give the benefit of the doubt to MG. They've done their investigation and they've come out with their findings. As long as no further incident occurs, this matter stands closed.

Last edited by coolkurt : 25th January 2020 at 18:35.
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 08:41   #233
Senior - BHPian

Update to the iSmart Infotainment System

As of now, there is no option to turn off the screen while driving. If you do a long press to turn off the screen, it will stop the music from playing as well. And the always on screen was a distraction on long drives.

MG has taken feedback for the same and the next update will feature a lock button on the homescreen which locks and turns off the display while keeping the music playing in the background.
MG Hector : Official Review-fb_img_1580094056338.jpg

Much is not known about the other changes but it'll soon roll out for all users. I'm hoping for the Chitchat function that Mr Chaba once talked about to be available on a future version as well. It allows you to make small talk with the iSmart Assistant like asking about the weather or exchange pleasantries, on the lines of other AI assistants on the market.

MG Hector Facebook Group
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 14:31   #234
BHPian

Got confirmation from dealer in Bangalore that BS6 Petrols will start being dispatched from plant early Feb. Possibly Week2 onwards.
Diesel BS6s tentatively scheduled for dispatch post mid March.
DASKD24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 16:03   #235
Senior - BHPian

MG Motor India plans to increase the production of the Hector by 30% after BS6 norms come into effect

MG Motor India plans to increase production of its SUV Hector by around 30 per cent after BS-VI emission norms come into effect from April 1.

"In case of Hector we are planning for another ramp up and hopefully that should happen in two-three months' time," MG Motor India President and MD Rajeev Chaba told PTI.

"Right now we are focusing on smooth transition to BS-VI from BS-IV in terms of dealer stock. Based on next two months we will decide but we are thinking that around 3,500 to 4,000 (units) per month of Hector we can do," he said.

The first quarter will take some beating because of the stock adjustment, Chaba said, adding "but from April-May onwards it can be increased to 3,500 to 4,000 per month".

Right now, the company is producing around 3,000 units of the Hector from its Halol plant.

Source
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 09:10   #236
BHPian

The Petrol BS6 prices are available in a brochure in the MG website.
Looks like Diesels aren’t updated yet.

https://www.mgmotor.co.in/tools/brochures
Attached Thumbnails
MG Hector : Official Review-f94e015d91654823ac4d064074c747d8.jpeg  

MG Hector : Official Review-290abe1837e14e5ca4c739ccbf598417.jpeg  

DASKD24 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 10:45   #237
BANNED

MG Motor India sold 3130 units in January 2020.

Link
wheelguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 22:28   #238
BHPian

I found the plastic's "Dash, Door, Etc" in Seltos superior than that of Hector what do you all think?
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 23:15   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
I found the plastic's "Dash, Door, Etc" in Seltos superior than that of Hector what do you all think?
Don't know about plastics and door of Seltos but dash is one of the 2 things I don't like about Seltos. That slab rectangular and in your face screen in continuation of the instrument housing looks very ugly. That screen should have little away from the instrument pod. Second thing not good about Seltos is the front logo on the bonnet instead of grill. Reminds me of first gen Tata safari. Other than these the Seltos looks better than Hector but is a lot smaller than Hector.
Old 2nd February 2020, 13:24   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Don't know about plastics and door of Seltos but dash is one of the 2 things I don't like about Seltos.
I meant qualitywise rather than placement wise. These days there is low chance of the sunlight spoiling the plastics anyhow but still touch/feel can tell a lot.
Brishti is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed