Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2020, 18:20   #316
BHPian

Re: MG Hector : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I dont think there's any reason to believe that Hectors will run into problems in a year or two of their ownership, certainly not the way it is being perceived in your post.

When I see our own desi-videshi collaborations (MSIL) dishing out cars with the same average level cabin product quality, not to mention shoddy levels of safety, I think we are getting ahead of ourselves.

Like any other car, the Hector has its merits and demerits. I believe it is a fair ask in terms of price for what it offers- a more than averagely spacious car with creature comforts and adequately capable performance and safety tech that is at par with the rest of the field.
Not getting into an argument with fans of the product, but a Maruti doesn't come with such fancy features, and has been proven over 30 years. Also, Hector or Baojun 530 is not a successful model even in China itself. It sold a out 1/6th of the highest selling SUV there- you can check this.

My only point is that I was not convinced of the quality- something felt iffy. I cannot explain it in words but my companion was quite old and didn't know about its China origin, and felt the same.

I'll be glad if it works out well for the owners, after all 20 lakhs is a lot of mo ey for most Indians and hopefully they will get good resale too. But personally, the mileage, potential spyware in the electronics and the boat like ride made me feel like this car has better alternatives. Delete if needed but that's my humble, inexperienced opinion from a short interface with the car.
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 18:37   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I dont think there's any reason to believe that Hectors will run into problems in a year or two of their ownership, certainly not the way it is being perceived in your post.

When I see our own desi-videshi collaborations (MSIL) dishing out cars with the same average level cabin product quality, not to mention shoddy levels of safety, I think we are getting ahead of ourselves.

Like any other car, the Hector has its merits and demerits. I believe it is a fair ask in terms of price for what it offers- a more than averagely spacious car with creature comforts and adequately capable performance and safety tech that is at par with the rest of the field.
But there's a problem, we have experienced enough with Japanese, Korean,Indian, European and American manufacturers but not much with the Chinese. We had few examples of Chinese/SAIC with Sail twins and Enjoy MPV, but their reliability/quality records aren't great either in long term .

Let's have a look after few more months.
TorqueIndia is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 19:24   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Personally, I'll buy a used fortuner, a new Harrier/Seltos/XUV type product that uses decent hardware from reliable manufacturers, and I am ready to compromise on the bling and the taint of supporting a product that is made by a company with ties to the Chinese Military that recently murdered many Indian soldiers.

This is not nationalism, it is just pragmatism. You don't buy a product from your enemy if you can get an alternative. There's no point supporting China with more Indian wealth when much better alternatives are available. No offense to the owners and lovers.
Maybe we should leave cars alone, I won't write off hector because it's Chinese, I do have a problem with the brand for other reasons.

Would you rather buy a product that is 75% made in India and 10% made in China (rest global) or 25% made in India and rest global?

The difference between being able to run a factory making denim trousers for export with chinese origin zippers or close down the factory for a while till zippers are available, globalization can't be switched off in a flick of a switch, we would only harm ourself in the process because wealth needs trade, raw materials etc.

Do you know what Japanese did to Indians? It's spine chilling stories around WW2. Now Japanese cars should be out of your purchase list.

Let's talk cars!

Hector is a trendsetter as much as many would hate to admit it , it forced everyone to offer automatic , panoramic sunroof, large touch screen, over the air updates, smartphone integration , voice commands etc. I once said that Harrier won't bat an eyelid with Hector launch, I was wrong in a way, sure Harrier is not a flop but Hector and the team behind it is very quick on their feet and did not let the product fail.

Will hector survive? Time will tell. It has definitely improved that segment.
Kosfactor is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 19:39   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

Will hector survive? Time will tell. It has definitely improved that segment.
Have you forgotten the massive success of XUV 500?
MG-SAIC is mimicking everything Mahindra did for the XUV launch back in 2011 . It's not bad but was saying the strategy, it's nothing new.

I have to admit MG brought many segment first features last year , and even forced Tata Motors to follow the same .The sales volume of MG Hector was never small too , they sold close to 27K Hectors in 1 year to a very odd kind of customer base with petrol models leading the sales 70:30, whom believed the car was made for the royal family 🇬🇧 !

Harrier was the best seller among Harrier/XUV/Hector diesel car sales in FY2020 .

Let's wait for XUV 2020 and tantrums of Mahindra 😁!
TorqueIndia is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 23:50   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post

I have to admit MG brought many segment first features last year , and even forced Tata Motors to follow the same .The sales volume of MG Hector was never small too , they sold close to 27K Hectors in 1 year to a very odd kind of customer base with petrol models leading the sales 70:30, whom believed the car was made for the royal family 🇬🇧 !
I am very very sure that if not for the Hector, Tata would have never introduced the 170bhp tune of MJD2.0 and neither the panoramic sunroof. They were infact, very confident of Harrier riding the Land Rover wave and the public not warming up to a Chinese product but they had to introduce all these. It sucks to be an initial customer of the Harrier knowing you had the budget to get all the new goodies but had to contend with the older version!

Although, much of the sales of the BS4 Harrier were also lost due to the poor test-drive vehicles they kept till the bs6 ones arrived.
Candy$Cars is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 05:43   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Not getting into an argument with fans of the product, but a Maruti doesn't come with such fancy features, and has been proven over 30 years. Also, Hector or Baojun 530 is not a successful model even in China itself.

My only point is that I was not convinced of the quality- something felt iffy.
But personally, the mileage, potential spyware in the electronics and the boat like ride made me feel like this car has better alternatives.
I am not a fan of the car per se( I actually like the Compass and also hate it for skimping on higher global safety standards for airbags). I like the product positioning of the Hector though. Perhaps thats the main reason it sells .
Long term quality is unknown, yes , but time till tell us. With regards to these other motherhood fears of sinister Chinese hardware/ spyware, lets face it. Google and. Facebook know more about you than the Chinese do. And may be manipulating the data in any which way. Why dont we create our own and stop using them? That would be true Atmanirbhar.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 18:12   #322
Senior - BHPian

70% of phones sold in India are Chinese. And there isn't a single laptop in the world which isn't manufactured in China. So it's pointless to debate about the Chinese origins.

I owned a Honda Civic for almost 13 years. And then I moved to the Hector. Simply because it fitted all my requirements. The enthusiast had to eventually give way to a sedate spacious family car, and on that front, the Hector doesn't disappoint.

It's been 7+ months of ownership and I'm pretty happy with the way it's performed. The car's ready for its 3rd free service ( 15k kms) and I've had zero issues till date. And the service experience is unlike any other I've experienced.

At the time of booking, it was a toss between the Harrier and the Hector. And the added tech and sunroof aside, the underpowered diesel on the Tata put it out of contention.

Things have changed now and the new Harrier is pretty well kitted so it'll be interesting to see how this battle goes.
coolkurt is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 18:56   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
70% of phones sold in India are Chinese. And there isn't a single laptop in the world which isn't manufactured in China. So it's pointless to debate about the Chinese origins.
That is hardly an argument. Because of the unchecked growth of the Chinese dragon we have no choice but to buy electronics that are assembled in China. This is all the more reason not to get entrenched with the Chinese where we can still make a choice.

Chinese origins aside there is no denying the fact that Hector has a unique value proposition in the Indian car market.
JediKnight is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 19:05   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
This is all the more reason not to get entrenched with the Chinese where we can still make a choice.
Chinese origins aside there is no denying the fact that Hector has a unique value proposition in the Indian car market.
The entire world is responsible for that. Every country stood by and let china become the manufacturing hub for the world. Simply because - economics.

Notwithstanding the chinese origins, there are a lot of things going for the Hector. A lot of bling but also a lot of firsts. And a lot more attention to detail, and stressing on the important things, which has helped it cement it's place.

For example, full cladding for both the front and rear wheel wells. I've seen better manufacturers skimp on this. Sound insulation is fantastic.
coolkurt is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 21:24   #325
BHPian

MG completes 12 months of retail sales in India with staggering figures for a new brand and origin .

Quote:
MG Hector is indeed the best SUV in its class, as the YoY sales figures clearly said that. The SUV recorded a sale of 26,242 units whereas, none of its rivals managed to get 10,000 units of sale.
MG Hector : Official Review-20200806_211804.jpg
MG PR

May be by rivals they didn't meant Seltos /Creta .
Meanwhile MG claimed they crossed 50K booking in FEB 2020.
MG Hector bookings cross 50,000
Attached Thumbnails
MG Hector : Official Review-20200806_205709.jpg  

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 6th August 2020 at 21:37.
TorqueIndia is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 17:20   #326
BHPian

I came across this video on Instagram about how we Indians are reacting to MG's Chinese connection. It's absolutely hilarious and i couldn't help but share it here.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDoBWxIh..._web_copy_link
omranga98 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 20:25   #327
BHPian

Query to owners with baby car seats.

Have any of you been able to fit car seat latch into the isofix car seat?

I've not been able to ever since the hook is very hard to find.
Old 9th August 2020, 21:08   #328
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to MG, it has received more than 50,000 bookings for the Hector in just 8 months since its launch.
I hate it when companies lie so blatantly. MG said in Feb that it has 50000 bookings. However, by Feb, it had sold only 20,000 cars. That means:

- It had 30000 waiting customers which is clearly not the case as the car has ready delivery available.

- Until Covid-19 disrupted the sector, MG was averaging 2,500 cars / month (July 19 - Feb 20). 50,000 bookings means 20 months of orders which is obviously not the case.

- In the 12 months till June, it sold 24219 cars. If we were to ignore the Covid-19 disruption, it would be 30,000 cars tops.

I don't know from where they magically picked out the "50000" number. Unless of course, that number was true and a whopping 50% of bookings were CANCELLED, which is then a bigger concern than lying about numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
May be by rivals they didn't meant Seltos /Creta .
Well said! Another fake claim. The Seltos + Creta are in the same segment.

I actually like the MG Hector and think it's a good + spacious + comfortable family cruiser. The company should accept it for what it is. Big deal if they don't have the numbers of Kia or Hyundai. Be proud of what you are doing. No need to lie about things.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 21:26   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Maybe we should leave cars alone, I won't write off hector because it's Chinese, I do have a problem with the brand for other reasons.
You do know that SAIC is not just any Chinese brand but its actually State Owned, yes? Let me repeat that in case the implications aren't clear. This is not a Chinese private firm tacitly backed by the CCP like ByteDance or Alibaba or Tencent.

Its actually state OWNED.

If that fact doesn't change our thinking, I don't know what will.

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 9th August 2020 at 21:29.
digitalnirvana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 22:51   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
This is not a Chinese private firm tacitly backed by the CCP like ByteDance or Alibaba or Tencent.

Its actually state OWNED.

If that fact doesn't change our thinking, I don't know what will.
We are a long way from breaking Coca Cola bottles on the road and attacking Pan America (some old stories).

Here is some reading material.

chinese-investments-deep-rooted-india
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks