Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2021, 15:25   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG Hector : Official Review

Two things that can interest Hector owners with the new launch:

1. Infotainment system has been updated. With WiFi etc. I'm pretty sure it'll be able to run wireless Android auto once android 11 hits smartphones, so that'll be a big plus.

I'm hoping that we get all the features of the new infotainment system since most of it just looks like software updates.

2. New 18 inch alloys. It'll be nice to upgrade to them so that the stance improves.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 13:21   #392
BHPian

Happy New year everyone.

Not sure if this has been covered already, so may be a repeat question.

Is there any good aftermarket screen guard available for the AVN. There a few in Amazon with bad reviews.
I guess there is a original MG accessory in pipeline or awaiting supply. I did not see any in the service centres.
Old 11th January 2021, 20:22   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASKD24 View Post
Happy New year everyone.
There are a few available online. Like this. Have decent reviews for other cars but it's still an unknown.

Also, there's a new update for the infotainment system. It just updates the T Box and MCU. I guess prepping up for the V6.03 update that's hitting soon which will bring Hector 2019/20 on par with 2021 variant software wise.
It makes sense to keep the software on par for all variants as the hardware is the same.

MG Hector : Official Review-img_20210111_193451.jpg
MG Hector : Official Review-img_20210111_193828.jpg
Old 13th January 2021, 18:35   #394

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Also, there's a new update for the infotainment system. It just updates the T Box and MCU. I guess prepping up for the V6.03 update that's hitting soon which will bring Hector 2019/20 on par with 2021 variant software wise.
It makes sense to keep the software on par for all variants as the hardware is the same.
That's interesting. Why did the system have to do a prep for the new one? Interesting to know that the T-Box and MCU can be updated using a soft switch.

Are you able to update the Hector'19 to the 18 inch wheels now?
Old 14th January 2021, 11:28   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
Interesting to know that the T-Box and MCU can be updated using a soft switch.

Are you able to update the Hector'19 to the 18 inch wheels now?
The 2021 update has started rolling out to older cars in batches. I've yet to get it on mine but quite a few owners have already got it. The WiFi is now enabled ( prepped up for wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay) and hindi commands work.

From what I've learnt, there's no new changes to the suspension setup for the 18 inchers on the 2021 model so theoretically it should be easy to upgrade. It remains to be seen if MG allows it. Best to contact the service center and get it done at their end to avoid warranty issues.
Old 17th January 2021, 03:56   #396
Senior - BHPian

Got the latest 6.02 update. WiFi option is now available. Will be pretty useful for Android Auto/ Apple car play. Yet to check the hinglish commands, will do check and revert.

MG Hector : Official Review-img_20210117_031658.jpg

MG Hector : Official Review-img_20210117_031713.jpg
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 09:11   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASKD24 View Post
Happy New year everyone.

Not sure if this has been covered already, so may be a repeat question.

Is there any good aftermarket screen guard available for the AVN. There a few in Amazon with bad reviews.
I guess there is a original MG accessory in pipeline or awaiting supply. I did not see any in the service centres.
Get it from the service center. They have a high quality official one for 500rs. I got it applied last time and am very happy with the product.
dhruvwali is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 20:36   #398
BHPian

How much can the 2nd row seats recline? Can anyone post some pics please?
Old 20th January 2021, 19:36   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnt View Post
How much can the 2nd row seats recline? Can anyone post some pics please?
The second row seats can recline by about 20-25 odd degrees. I'll post a pic in the morning.

The front seats can recline to the extent that a person sitting on the rear bench can get a flat bed using the front seat
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 15:32   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Test drove the Hector DCT this morning as part of my car hunt for my Vento replacement. (Yes, I had said I will boycott MG back in June - but one can always change one’s mind).

Observations:

1) The car is exceptionally spacious - we had my wife, son (who is now 5’8” but thin), and MIL in the back seat - and they were all extremely comfortable, even my wife who occupied the middle seat
2) The Hello MG feature works well. Could pick up different voices quite easily
3) Sound quality was very good
4) I prefer the all black interior theme to the black and beige - fortunately, it is still available.
5) Under-thigh support in the front seat is exceptional
6) Was shocked to find that the car has only one zone air conditioning. Clearly expected two zone for a product at this price point
7) Don’t know why they didn’t give sunshades in the rear. For me, that is an essential feature in the back
8) The engine gear box combination was shockingly slow. Yes, you get a little bit of the turbo kick when you push it, but the car just refuses to build speed. Got the 80 kmph speed chime only once through a 5 km test drive - and that was despite pushing the car hard.
9) Sport mode made a lot of noise but didn’t increase the acceleration adequately
10) Was shocked to find that there is no screen where you can see either instantaneous or trip wise fuel efficiency. Came back to this review, and thought the sales agent had been lying to me - and then saw a post indicating it had vanished after an OTA software update. Why would you do that, except to hide bad results?
11) The SA told me the car gives between 7-9 kmpl in Bombay traffic - would be good to get feedback from
Central Bombay car owners.

Overall, this car would have been eliminated post our test drive if I intended to drive it myself or take it on highway journeys. However, since it will be predominantly chauffeur driven, and used mainly to potter about town, it will likely stay in our list.
Hayek is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 18:48   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
11) The SA told me the car gives between 7-9 kmpl in Bombay traffic - would be good to get feedback from
I don't own this car, but have driven it/ drive it often enough for me to help you with this.
(Do keep in mind that the car is question is a BS4 car and I have no idea if the BS6 car has improved mileage)

The car gives between 5-7 kmpl in central Bombay traffic. Usually hovers between 6.2-6.7 kmpl around town. Slightly higher if you use open roads like Lalbagh Flyover and JJ flyover towards Kala Ghoda etc...

On expressway drives to Lonavala maintaining 80-100 from Parel and back, the car has given 8-9 kmpl. You can expect this mileage on Sunday morning drives around Mumbai too.

The low pick up of the car really kills the mileage unless one is a very patient driver as to gain speed, one really has to liberally use the A pedal!

Last edited by Pratyush2407 : 24th January 2021 at 19:00.
Pratyush2407 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 15:45   #402

Quote:
Observations:
8) The engine gear box combination was shockingly slow. Yes, you get a little bit of the turbo kick when you push it, but the car just refuses to build speed. Got the 80 kmph speed chime only once through a 5 km test drive - and that was despite pushing the car hard.
10) Was shocked to find that there is no screen where you can see either instantaneous or trip wise fuel efficiency. Came back to this review, and thought the sales agent had been lying to me - and then saw a post indicating it had vanished after an OTA software update. Why would you do that, except to hide bad results?
From my experience over the last 13 months of owning the car, i have got a tank to tank average of 9.6 kmpl (Fuelio). I have just had one outstation drive out of NCR.

I have a 2019 version, and i do have both instant as well as long term average indicators. That said, recording expenses and distance on fuelio has helped me more.

Yes, it does take time to get into the second gear. But post that generally find it ok. Have found the legs to switch it to 2nd faster (easing off the accelerator at a certain time) and get up to speed. But generally let it buzz on 7-10 kmph creep when in traffic.

With annual running of 6k kms, i favor space and comfort more than the speed and everything else. It has been absolutely no niggles, no rattles and great service support. Had to get front LED changes as brightness appeared lower, and it was changed no questions asked along with an extra sunroof service. Fingers crossed for a good long experience though.
Blackjack is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 20:31   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Test d

Overall, this car would have been eliminated post our test drive if I intended to drive it myself or take it on highway journeys. However, since it will be predominantly chauffeur driven, and used mainly to potter about town, it will likely stay in our list.
If its to be chauffeur driven, get the Hybrid Sharp manual. Fuel economy in city is between 10-12, depending on eagerness, or lack, of rapid throttle input. Worst I have managed in a baby level 2500 is 9.7.The best I have got is 15 kmpl. There is absolutely no jerkiness in shifts. Plus, I think, for the occasional self-drives, the petrol manual is the best. However, I have never felt the need to be enthusiastic when I take out the MG, even if the car was capable. Relaxed cruising is what this one is about. On the highways, triple digits where permitted, you hardly feel a thing. Nice place to be for long drives.
I have aftermarket sunshades, magnetic ones, and they work well enough. Plus, blackening out the greenhouse somehow makes it look better for a black car.
mayankk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 11:32   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
Get it from the service center. They have a high quality official one for 500rs. I got it applied last time and am very happy with the product.

Thank you!! It wasn't available with my local dealer/service center yet. had to cover the AVN anyhow as the plastic was peeling out.
I went ahead and tried the one suggested by @coolkurt. It's a bit smaller than the outer edges, but was a bubble free smooth installation. No worries so far.
May be once I get to the next service, I'll try out the MG one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
If its to be chauffeur driven, get the Hybrid Sharp manual. Fuel economy in city is between 10-12, depending on eagerness, or lack, of rapid throttle input. Worst I have managed in a baby level 2500 is 9.7.The best I have got is 15 kmpl. There is absolutely no jerkiness in shifts. Plus, I think, for the occasional self-drives, the petrol manual is the best. However, I have never felt the need to be enthusiastic when I take out the MG, even if the car was capable. Relaxed cruising is what this one is about. On the highways, triple digits where permitted, you hardly feel a thing. Nice place to be for long drives.
It is really a nice place to be for relaxed long drives with the folks. I've done quite a few in the last months in different conditions and enjoyed every one of them. Absolutely no fatigue at the end of day. (I have a DCT).
If I had to race on highways, I'd have chosen some other car
Yes there is a bit of lag at times, but nothing that bothers me, and to overtake I move to the sport mode temporarily.
Have heard a lot being said about the FE etc, IMHO, driving style is a big contributor. I've usually got around 15-17 on highways and around 10-12 in city.It improves with each service.
So bottomline, I made an informed decision, and didn't have any worries in the first year at all.
And when family is super happy in the cabin, long drives are more joyous. Nothing else counts

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd February 2021 at 20:59.
DASKD24 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 07:39   #405
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
MG Hector prices increased yet again in February

Following a January 2021 price hike, there’s a price revision on some MG Hector variants again in February 2021

MG Hector : Official Review-img_20210204_073623.jpg

MG Hector : Official Review-img_20210204_073702.jpg

Source

Last edited by wheelguy : 4th February 2021 at 08:04.
wheelguy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks