Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2022, 15:48   #586
BHPian

Re: MG Hector : Official Review

The Shine CVT variant was priced under ₹20 lacs on road Hyderabad. This variant had all necessary features one would want in a car including Auto Hold, Electric Parking, Hill Hold Control, Hill Descent Control, Break Assist, ESP, TC, the huge 10" touchscreen and even a normal Sunroof. It was total VFM product from MG and kudos to MG to have all these features in Hector at such excellent pricing.

The top variant Sharp has additional 6 airbags instead of 2 in Shine, 6+ Infinity Speaker system which sound awesome, Panoramic Sunroof, 360 deg camera, Leather Seats, Ventilated Front Seats, 18" tyres with diamond cut alloy wheels and auto folding ORVMs among other things. I felt for this big a car 360 deg camera is a very essential feature. Also for summers of Hyderabad, Ventilated Seats would also be nice to have feature.

The difference between Shine and Sharp variant was a whopping ₹3.7 lacs. Unfortunately, the mid variant has more or less discontinued and dealers are not taking booking of the same. I was quite confused whether to get the VFM Shine variant or splurge to go for the top end Sharp variant. Huge battle between the Mind and the Heart.

My choice of color was Burgundy Red but came to know Burgundy Red was not available in Shine variant. Only White, Silver, Grey and Black was available for Shine variant. While Silver and Black were also good, the Burgundy Red colour with the 18" diamond cut alloy wheels was looking very nice.

I gave it a lot of thought and eventually Heart won the battle. Booked the MG Hector Sharp in Burgundy Red color. It is costing me now close to ₹23.5 lacs on road Hyderabad.

My heart is so happy with me but my mind is totally upset with my decision.
souvikjana83 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 09:55   #587
BHPian

I own a Oct 2019 petrol DCT Hector. It’s run 20k kms due to pandemic and work from home, it has very low running, but no problems at all.

No major niggles or rattles, still runs rock solid as on day 1.

Answers to your queries inline -

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunkassana View Post
MG Hector DCT Petrol Automatic 2019

Hi Guys ,

I am looking for an automatic SUV and since my running is low , I am open to considering Petrol guzzlers despite low mileage. Came across quiet a few Hectors on all online portals.

Had below questions and would be really thankful if senior members could throw some light:-
1) Any specific reasons for a large number of used hectors with very low running to be listed? I would guess mileage would be a major factor. Any other reasons. - pandemic and low mileage should be reason for less odo.

2) What should I look out for while evaluating and test driving used Auto DCT hectors. Any known issues with DCT in hectors? - Haven’t heard of a single case with transmission issues in hector, unlike several issues in Kia/hyundai DCT. MG has a wet clutch DCT and works very well in Indian traffic conditions. However it is not meant for spirited driving - it’s more for sedate and relaxed driving.

3) What should be the approximate price for an under 20k run , late 2019 Hector DCT. - New one costed 19L on road when launched so should be around 15-16L now max. However considering new one now costs 23L could be going for 18L too.

4) Did the first lot of hectors have any issues? Should I specifically look for 2020 hectors, most good deals are on 2019 ones. - No such issues, 2020 one had ventilated seats I believe, beige interiors, option for CVT and a revised look. - if it were me I’d get the CVT with ventilated seats - in the long run CVT is a more reliable transmission. Performance wise both are similar in terms of 0-100.

Thanks,
TK

Last edited by dhruvwali : 12th June 2022 at 09:56.
dhruvwali is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 10:33   #588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
I own a Oct 2019 petrol DCT Hector. It’s run 20k kms due to pandemic and work from home, it has very low running, but no problems at all.

Answers to your queries inline -
Just one rejoinder.
Mine is a sharp 2020 hybrid manual, and it doesn't have ventilated seats.
Old 12th June 2022, 11:02   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Just one rejoinder.
Mine is a sharp 2020 hybrid manual, and it doesn't have ventilated seats.
Ah that may be the 2021 version then.

In that case get the 2019 version without any issues. No major issue that was corrected in 2020 model.
dhruvwali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 13:35   #590

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post

Thanks Dhruvwali for your helpful inputs. I am getting low run DCTs for around 15.5/16 range. The CVTs seem to be mostly around 2021 vintage and asking 19, maybe settle for 18ish. Let me try to find a good CVT one if possible!
tarunkassana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 15:33   #591
BHPian

Hi All,

I have a DCT 2019 model - running butter smooth and very happy with it.

Just curious who is the manufacturer of this DCT BOX IN THE HECTOR?

Also - MG reached out to my Wife and I for a customer review : here you can watch it. The level at which this company takes care of its customers is impeccable 😄.

[[/u]
don_carmaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 23:15   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvikjana83 View Post

My heart is so happy with me but my mind is totally upset with my decision.
Many congratulations, Souvik! I so identify with your predicament! But as a proud owner of the Hector Plus Burgundy Red Sharp variant myself, I can assure you you have made the right choice!

The feature list seems small but each one of them makes some difference, even more so if you have kids at home.

Take, for example, the panoramic sunroof (dual pane- which means you have a window on the ceiling). For a rear seat passenger, the experience of it is unbeatable. The fact that it can be opened with a voice command is an icing on the cake.

A whole set of connected car features- pretty handy to have.

6 airbags- ensures much better safety. Hector is a heavy car and thus quite safe but no vehicle on the road is completely safe. The more the safety features, the better.

Music system- of the sharp variant is fantastic. A good sound system is an underrated feature of a car.

Auto dimming IRVM is a safety feature. You wont have to adjust it during the night drives due to high beams of light from vehicles behind you.

360 camera- As you rightly said, a vehicle of this size needs such a system. Makes life much more easier and the car much more nimbler in day to day life.

Ventilated seats- This feature is missing even in XUV7OO. It can mean a difference between an irate spouse and a calmed one! ;-)

Ambient lighting and leather seats- Looks and feels good, even if not essential

Powered co driver seat- I think the only car in this segment

Automatic headlights and wipers- I love it when, upon entering my car parking area, the headlamp lights up on its own!

Powered tailgate opening- makes it look like it belongs to a segment above!

In short, a crossover like Hector is best enjoyed in the top variant. Sure, it cost you some more, but the incremental better experience will ensure a breakeven soon enough!
RiverRanger is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 00:34   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRanger View Post
Many congratulations, Souvik! I so identify with your predicament! But as a proud owner of the Hector Plus Burgundy Red Sharp variant myself, I can assure you you have made the right choice!

The feature list seems small but each one of them makes some difference, even more so if you have kids at home.

Take, for example, the panoramic sunroof (dual pane- which means you have a window on the ceiling). For a rear seat passenger, the experience of it is unbeatable. The fact that it can be opened with a voice command is an icing on the cake.

A whole set of connected car features- pretty handy to have.

6 airbags- ensures much better safety. Hector is a heavy car and thus quite safe but no vehicle on the road is completely safe. The more the safety features, the better.

Music system- of the sharp variant is fantastic. A good sound system is an underrated feature of a car.

Auto dimming IRVM is a safety feature. You wont have to adjust it during the night drives due to high beams of light from vehicles behind you.

360 camera- As you rightly said, a vehicle of this size needs such a system. Makes life much more easier and the car much more nimbler in day to day life.

Ventilated seats- This feature is missing even in XUV7OO. It can mean a difference between an irate spouse and a calmed one! ;-)

Ambient lighting and leather seats- Looks and feels good, even if not essential

Powered co driver seat- I think the only car in this segment

Automatic headlights and wipers- I love it when, upon entering my car parking area, the headlamp lights up on its own!

Powered tailgate opening- makes it look like it belongs to a segment above!

In short, a crossover like Hector is best enjoyed in the top variant. Sure, it cost you some more, but the incremental better experience will ensure a breakeven soon enough!
Thank you for explaining in detail and I totally agree with you on each point. The additional features in Sharp are actually quite good. My running is on the lower side so I was looking out for a 5 STR petrol automatic with good features and the only 2 cars in this segment I considered were Hector and XUV700 5 STR for their build quality. Didn't consider Harrier since it doesn't come in Petrol.

Now when I compared Hector and XUV700 5 STR Petrol Automatics, I did Shine vs AX3 and Sharp vs AX5 (since AX7 does not come in 5 STR). In both these comparisons Hector provide much more features than XUV700 at a lower price point. The only place where Hector would lose out will be on low speed pick up where XUV700 P AT is really good but I am fine with it. I will enjoy the Ventilated seats during summer of Hyderabad instead.

After reading your post my mind is also feeling happy now.

Last edited by souvikjana83 : 17th June 2022 at 00:35.
souvikjana83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 13:56   #594
BHPian

Just sharing my observations.

Have been observing in the last few trips both higway and city, if I set the AC temperature to 26degrees there is a marginal improvement in mileage (assuming one is anyways driving with a light foot).

The Hectors (Petrol DCT) real USP is comfort.

Its not any where near a fun to drive car (on the highway) and is not entirely efficient.

Driven sedately and smoothly is the best place to be in.

However, I have noticed that when I do use the SPORTS MODE and floor the pedal, I do get a little move on when the situation demands. Not to be done too often though.

I am trying to disable the TCS and drive in the city at low speeds. Would that reduce any impact on mileage or breaking? Can any tech person answer that?
Old 18th June 2022, 20:20   #595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyanu28 View Post

I am trying to disable the TCS and drive in the city at low speeds. Would that reduce any impact on mileage or breaking? Can any tech person answer that?
Just wanted to ask why you thought the TCS, if disabled, would have any effect on the mileage. In a reasonable scenario, it would only come into play when you're being brisk/brusque with the accelerator. In that case, your mileage is already shot.

Secondly, 26 on the aircon, is that really sufficient in Chennai? I know that in Delhi, I just set it to 17, and let the fan run on 1-2 most of the time.

As with any big car, with a small engine, if its mileage you're after, you need long sustained runs at 80-90, i.e., keep the motor turning over at comfortable revs. In the case of the Hector, that would be in the range of 2k. Once you're over 2k, even if you cruise the whole day at a 100, you will not get more than 13-14 kmpl. Go to 110-120, you'll be right down to 10-11.

Do not stress yourself trying to get more than 10-11, or lesser, in city driving/short hauls/stop and go driving. What the car WILL do very well is keep you extremely comfortable and happy in such situations. Its an effortless place to be in, so enjoy that aspect.
mayankk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 14:17   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Just wanted to ask why you thought the TCS, if disabled, would have any effect on the mileage. In a reasonable scenario, it would only come into play when you're being brisk/brusque with the accelerator. In that case, your mileage is already shot.

Secondly, 26 on the aircon, is that really sufficient in Chennai? I know that in Delhi, I just set it to 17, and let the fan run on 1-2 most of the time.

As with any big car, with a small engine, if its mileage you're after, you need long sustained runs at 80-90, i.e., keep the motor turning over at comfortable revs. In the case of the Hector, that would be in the range of 2k. Once you're over 2k, even if you cruise the whole day at a 100, you will not get more than 13-14 kmpl. Go to 110-120, you'll be right down to 10-11.

Do not stress yourself trying to get more than 10-11, or lesser, in city driving/short hauls/stop and go driving. What the car WILL do very well is keep you extremely comfortable and happy in such situations. Its an effortless place to be in, so enjoy that aspect.
THanks...
I just felt anything waiting to act is a potential energy consumer.
Yes, at 26 and fan at 4 it does keep us comfortable. We are not AC freeze people so it works. I do drive twice a week to Auroville from my house in the outskirts, twice a week. I make one, day trip too. So, as you said its a really good place to be in driven smoothly. I was hoping to address those who could be potentially paranoid about the reviews they hear on the low mileage of the HECTOR. Its been great value on the comfort front. I think the cars "space" is unique.Definitely enjoyable and super comfortable.
satyanu28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 17:24   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnt View Post
MG dealer in Chennai says that production of all MG cars have been affected due to lockdowns in China as they depend upon the SCs to be sent from there. He says delivery will take around 4 months. Is that the waiting period for Hector now?
I guess that is the standard waiting period quoted while booking by most of the car manufacturers. I have personally booked the MG Hector Sharp CVT and SA has quoted 16-18 weeks which is maximum.

Unlike the Mahindra XUV700 (~ 21 months), Kia Carens (~ 18 months), Hyundai Creta (~ 6 months) the other SUVs and MUVs are being delivered under 3-4 months which is pretty reasonable.

Currently all showrooms are being flocked by customers who are planning for a potential Dusshera/Diwali deliveries.
joeva1706 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 09:41   #598
BHPian

Greetings to all respected members of forum.
This being my first post on team-bhp, please excuse me for any errors in post.
I take this opportunity to share my personal experience with Hector (Petrol,MT) which we have owned for past 1.5 year but with just 10k kms down because due to COVID out station trips have become distant reality (Though the amount of time I spent in stationary car is much greater than kms run as I got my license 2 months back).

Ownership Update after 1.5 year and 10k kms down

Prelude
We as a family have owned a fair number of cars starting from Maroon Maruti Omni now to Hector being the 15th car of my family.
It was the replacement for our 8 yr old XUV5OO which again was a great car and had set a good benchmark. But XUV had started to show its age thanks very proficient Mahindra service centres. And in general itch to upgrade had taken its roots in our minds.
So we had following requirement for the new car:-
1. PETROL- (Due to low running and NGT law) This was a non negotiable criteria.
2. SUV with size comparable to XUV
3. Premium cabin
4. Feature loaded
5. Budget of maximum 20 lakhs
6. Reliable
7. Both MT AT transmission were accepted

There were very few options for Big Petrol SUV at that time.
So Cars considered were:-
1. Toyota Innova Crysta
We briefly considered this car due to space it offered and that Toyota badge.
But parents rejected it due to its taxi image and literally no features offered by it at such a high price tag.
Also a so-so experience at Toyota dealership where no test drive was offered even after repeated requests further strengthen our decision.
2. Honda CR-V
Just thought to look at it but got rejected due to no justification of increasing our budget for the car.
3. MG Hector
Really knew from the start that this would be the car which we would end up with. Awesome fit and finish and the amazing Infinity music system were the most appalling reasons.

Delivery Experience
We got the car just 1 week after booking from MG Delhi West (Kirti Nagar) as they had it in stock.
We got the Burgundy Red colour.
Considering now a minimum wait of 1-2 months we are really happy with whole experience.
There was a cake cutting ceremony and they shot a video too.

Also a very funny incident happened during the delivery-
So BMW showroom is present just below MG one in Kirti Nagar and they share a same parking compound. A X1 owner was waiting for his car to get serviced (near our car) as our was being prepared for delivery. Soon our MG personnel came and started to demonstrate all the features of car(music system too). The X1 guy too started to take interest in it and went through with whole demonstration.
After the demonstration there was a look of despair on his face and he said he regretted buying X1 and went for a test drive of Hector Diesel MT.

Pros have been already been discussed in great detail in the thread so I will move to Key Observations

Key Observations:-
1. No rattles in the car till now
The fit and finish is much better than the first few initial batch(MY 2019) Hector.
2. The suspension is very soft and absorbs bumps at city speed up to 50kmph. But this behaviour irritates when road surface becomes wavy and at expansion joints.
3.Paint quality is amazing. The pearl lit up under sunlight under close observation.
4. All black interior is very easy to maintain
5. No niggles till now. Car has visited service centre only for routine service and insurance work.
6. Pick up and drop facility is amazing
U. Complaints are heard and we receive call back regarding complaints through MY MG app until it is resolved.

Cons:-
1. Missing features like Ventilated Seats(now rectified with facelift), Auto Dimming IRVM
2. Digital MID doesn’t show mileage and current speed of car
3. Very less (read NO) power below 2000rpm.
4. No lumbar support (our XUV’s base variant had this). So on longer journeys we have to constantly change our position for relaxed driving.
5. Ambient is at very less places. From rear seats it looks non existent (Again XUV had much better). Also it can be switched on only headlights are on again unlike XUV
6. Rear underthigh support is very short (XUV had these better)
7. No idea about costs of Internet services after free 3 year period has ended.
8. The 3D mats from MG become dirty very easily and become very tough to clean.
Tanmay_868 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 14:47   #599

Hi guys,

I own Hector 2019 petrol DCT, one of the first lots. It will complete 3 years and with just 12k on the ODO, i have never managed to get more then 10 on highway and 6 in City.

Most recently on a trip i noted that car just gave me 4.9 kmpl. I am a very relaxed driver and have 2 kids and i never push the revs very hard.

The car has 12km journey everyday and fairly open roads in morning and congested in evening. Now i dont know if it's only my car but if someone else like me can share experience regarding the same, I may be able to get what is wrong here.

I have spoken to MG thrice about this but neither they agree or disagree with this issue.

They are saying DCT flushing will solve this issue, but it's unlikely in my opinion.

Please assist.
Ayush_atish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 07:55   #600

Welcome fellow BHPians

I purchased MG HECTOR sharp CVT in July 2021(driven 20000 km since purchase) as a replacemeny for my mg hector sharp hybrid that I was owning since 2020. In this review , I'll mainly focus on long term ownership experience of the car.

So starting with the Exteriors
1) the build quality of the exterior sheets is good , no paint fading , no rusting so far.
2)The goodyear tires are also good , and offer a nice grip .

Interiors
1)The white interiors are difficult to maintain , stains are not easily removed .
2)Plastics make a bit of a rattling noise , when the car is started or when the car is driven over rough patches , it settles quickly .
3) AC is decent , not the best , wireless charging is just a gimmick , it works only 50% of the times .
4) Engine is silent , but tire noise penetrates the interiors.

Entertainment and convenience
1)Infotainment screen went completely blank within 2 weeks of purchase , it was replaced for free under warranty by MG .
Please note the cost of Infotainment system + wiring is Rs80000
2) Electric seats are good
3)Electric tailgate also functions well , no problem there.
4) The speakers are by far the best ones as per my experience
5) 360° camera could have been better ,it is pixelated and laggy , one can just take an idea of what is around , but can't rely and judge the distance.
6) Ambient lights give a premium feeling.
7) Voice commands work 70% of the times.
8)Wireless charging works only 50% of the times
9)Ventilated seats is just a gimmick I haven't used it much

Driving experience

I would like to tell you that this car has great handling.
I just had a near miss from a fatal accident , all thanks to its handling. A car just stopped suddenly in front of my car , at that point the speed of my car was 80km/hr , I reflexly turned the steering wheel immediately to the left to avoid the collision , tat this moment he car skidded a bit , came to the adjacent lane after which I was immediately able to take back control of the vehicle . Superb E.S.P

1) The steering is very light yet providing a good feedback at the same time . The play in the steering is minimal which is a really very good thing.
2)The suspension setup is soft , i.e ,most of the bumps are absorbed by the suspension . I like the setup as its really comfortable
3)The power feels just adequate to pull the car , not made for pushing pedal to the metal.Overtakes are easy
4) The CVT transmission is not the best , but it does the job fine.Sports mode definitely gives a kick in the pants feel.
5) Information like Avg fuel economy , digital speed are not shown on the MID , which is a major miss.
6) The EPB and autohold feature work flawlessly and are a boon to have in traffic.
7)The headlights are shiny and bright on looking from outside but the throw on ground is average.

👉Mileage
My daily driving is of about 100 km , 65km in city , 35 on highway .I drive in ECO mode with the blower speed set at 4 , temp 20°C , throttle input medium to hard , without using cruise control
I drive between 90 to 110km/hr and the car returns about 11-12 kmpl.
In winters with the ac switched off , it returns about 13-14kmpl .
If driven gently upto 80 km/hr can return 15-16 kmpl
In purely city driving , with max speed 60 km/hr and moderate to heavy traffic expect 9-10 kmpl.

Service(own AMC package)
The service is average , though the support team is good.
First 3 services didn't cost anything.
The 4th service/20000km service costed me around Rs7241 including the voluntary optional drycleaning that I chose -Rs 2200 .

Final opinion
I think Mg hector is a good car , combining great features with superior ride quality , great handling, easy to use and easy to maintain.
It is the most V.F.M option in its segment .
It is well suited for those who have to travel long distances , or those who like to showoff party featues.
Sm00 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks