Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2023, 12:06   #526

Re: Tata Altroz : Official Review

Hello folks,

Is it a good option to get Altroz diesel at this point of time.

My running is around 100 kms per day with 40% city, 30% Highway and 30% rural B-roads. So fixated on diesel.

With a budget of 12 - 13 Lakhs on road, My only options are

1.Altroz XZ+
2. Kia Sonet HTK/HTX 1.5 iMT.

- Kia Sonet gives the advantage of High ground clearance and Clutchless iMT and a more powerful engine. However the mid variants are neither here not there, and any variant above HTX feels IMHO overpriced for me.

- Altroz XZ+ has almost everything, only disadvantage i felt was the detuned engine and the ancient 5 speed manual and no AT/AMT. However my guess is it will return a better mileage.

My current ride is a POLO 1.0 TSI MT, purchased in March, 2022 which now has 53k kms on odometer.

Other options considered
Hybrids - Ideal choice, the current hybrid twins in the market are too expensive.
EV - Ruled out due to lack of charging space.
CNG - Test drove altroz CNG, was a dud to drive, so ruled out.

Any advice is highly appreciated. Thank you.
Praneeth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 13:28   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praneeth View Post
Hello folks,

- Altroz XZ+ has almost everything, only disadvantage i felt was the detuned engine and the ancient 5 speed manual and no AT/AMT. However my guess is it will return a better mileage.

My current ride is a POLO 1.0 TSI MT, purchased in March, 2022 which now has 53k kms on odometer.

If it's Altroz, then it should be either DCA or Diesel.
Sonet and Altroz aren't same league to be compared. If CSUV means, then you can try mid variants of Nexon which has AMT and not the "ancient" 5 speed manual.
Altroz didn't have any detuned Engine, it's same from Day. 1 of launch and has best road manners mated on a 5 star body.

In our forum, there is one Altroz D ownership review and you can read to see what a car is this.

Sonet has nice driving view, a bit more powerful engine but downs on driving manners or safety ratings.

Your Polo TSI is wonderful machine, any specific reasons to sell apart from being a petrol avatar?

And which GB in manual is modern avatar?
Just asking as I didn't hear any modern manual GB and want to update my knowledge.
Altrozed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 14:24   #528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
If it's Altroz, then it should be either DCA or Diesel.
Sonet and Altroz aren't same league to be compared. If CSUV means, then you can try mid variants of Nexon which has AMT and not the "ancient" 5 speed manual.
Altroz didn't have any detuned Engine, it's same from Day. 1 of launch and has best road manners mated on a 5 star body.

In our forum, there is one Altroz D ownership review and you can read to see what a car is this.

Sonet has nice driving view, a bit more powerful engine but downs on driving manners or safety ratings.
I appreciate your input.

I didn't mean ancient in a bad way, After driving swift and micra diesel for a good part of last decade, when i test drove the altroz, the interior and build quality felt like a generation ahead. However, the engine and gear box in the diesel variant felt like an older generation.
Altroz is such a wonderful product, it deserves the 1.5 Diesel mill in Nexon's state of tune, with either a 6 speed MT or atleast an AMT. I understand there are price and technical constraints for not having these.

Quote:
Your Polo TSI is wonderful machine, any specific reasons to sell apart from being a petrol avatar?
It is indeed a wonderful machine, and i intend to keep it for as long as possible.
But there is a requirement for a second car and both the cars will be doing 80-100 kilometers per day, therefore savings on fuel is a priority.

Quote:
And which GB in manual is modern avatar?
Just asking as I didn't hear any modern manual GB and want to update my knowledge.
I don't have the technical knowhow to discuss about modern gearboxes. I simple felt that a 6 speed gear box would have been ideal when i drove the car.
Praneeth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 18:37   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Hello folks,

My running is around 100 kms per day with 40% city, 30% Highway and 30% rural B-roads. So fixated on diesel.

With a budget of 12 - 13 Lakhs on road, My only options are

1.Altroz XZ+
2. Kia Sonet HTK/HTX 1.5 iMT.

- Kia Sonet gives the advantage of High ground clearance and Clutchless iMT and a more powerful engine. However the mid variants are neither here not there, and any variant above HTX feels IMHO overpriced for me.

I understand that the high running has made you rethink the need for a better and fuel efficient vehicle than your current steed. Altroz Diesel will be wise choice over Sonet. However just rethink investment into Diesels, especially after the recent announcements/ rumours / press conference given by the Govt. Prasanna's thread on Altroz Diesel is a beautiful guideline. If nothing is going to deter your will, you will have no regrets with your purchase of a diesel Altroz. With your running, you will be having your RoI very early.

Quote:
Other options considered
Hybrids - Ideal choice, the current hybrid twins in the market are too expensive.
EV - Ruled out due to lack of charging space.
CNG - Test drove altroz CNG, was a dud to drive, so ruled out.

Any advice is highly appreciated. Thank you.
I agree the point on Hybrids. The truly useful ones leave out us cold when it comes to cost. But have a look at the Honda City eHV especially. I know that will be miles beyond your current estimated budget. But it will be worth the money spent on a long term. Once charging infrastructure gains traction, the EV can be considered.
ssathiyanarayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 07:33   #530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello folks,

Hi Praneeth,

Altroz diesel is a wonderful car at 12L. It's as fast as a 1.5 TDI and as efficient too. You will be surprised by the excellent highspeed dynamics too.

I have the same usage as yours. I am happy with the altroz diesel (56,000 km in about 22 months), but I am also contemplating about going Electric, altroz diesel will stay + Tiago ev is in the plan.

Tiago LR EV at 11 lakhs on road is a compelling package. Claimed range is 315 km but in real world you get anywhere between 150-200 km per full charge. You had informed you don't have charging infra at your home. If there is a way, do check. Running cost of about 1 rs per km vs 5rs per km of altroz diesel. Plus it's super quiet and effortless to drive in traffic too.

But as a primary car/ only car, it won't work.

Altroz diesel is a great package with a few niggles (minor AC issues with damper flap), little higher nvh(specially compared to that refined 1.0 tsi you have) and a gearbox that won't be as smooth as the Polo tsi's.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 29th September 2023 at 07:40.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 21:43   #531
BHPian

I saw a camouflaged hatchback (altroz most likely) from tata being tested today near bangalore. It was located near harman whitefield office. Any chance a facelift for altroz is on the horizon?

Note - have observed camouflaged safari, harrier, and nexon few weeks before launch mutiple times and hence I am sure this was a tata car.
Old 27th December 2023, 16:37   #532

My 1st year ownership review of Tata Altroz XZ NA Petrol

Hello BHPians,

This is my first post and here I’m going to share my experience of 1 year with my Altroz 1.2 N.A petrol XZ. We’re a family of Tata fans with my father’s Tiago XZ Plus and brothers’ Nexon XZ Plus, so I may sound a bit biased.

I was looking for a spacious car within 10 lacs OTR. Body types were not an issue but both me and my wife wanted a petrol car with manual gearbox. Since my father in law had an Alto (now replaced with a Celerio) and my father has a facelift Tiago, we wanted a slightly bigger car, with a focus on rear seat comfort.

The cars we considered were:
1. Tigor
2. Punch
3. Nexon
4. Altroz
5. XUV 300
6. I 20
7. Amaze
8. Baleno/Glanza
9. Brezza
10. Kushaq/Taigun
11. Magnite/Kiger

Among these,
- Tigor was ruled out as soon as we test drove the car. It’s all the same like Tiago
- Punch was also ruled out because of narrowed rear seats. However I liked the reclining of Punch
- Nexon was opted out mainly because of smaller parking space in my apartment as I’ve to accommodate my Suzuki Access 125 as well. However I really loved Nexon as I test drove
- XUV 300 (W6) was out of our budget and the boot space was also smaller
- i20, Baleno/Glanza and Brezza were omitted due to lack of a good GNCAP rating
- Honda Amaze, Renault Kiger and Nissan Magnite were also omitted because at that time (September -October 2022), there were adverse media speculations regarding their India operations
- Kushaq/Taigun duo were rejected because of budget and the notorious service costs of Skoda/Volkswagen.

Finally, it was all about Altroz N.A Petrol vs Turbo Petrol. The GNCAP rating, features, riding comfort and looks (although subjective) were key deciding factors.

We took test drive of both the cars and immediately liked it’s driving comfort. In fact, the first thing I liked was it’s steering response, both in n.a and turbo powertrains. Sure, the turbo engine is more fun to drive, but the naturally aspirated engine is not bad either, for a sedate driver like me, as most of the driving is in city (my office, wife’s school, occasional visit to malls/movies on weekends, occasional outstation trips etc.).

So after a lot of discussion with my wife, my father and my brother I finally decided to go with the Altroz XZ naturally aspirated petrol. As a Union Govt. Officer currently based in Kolkata, BH number series seemed prudent to opt for and my final OTR price came out as ₹.8.78 lacs (including accessories).

So, we booked our Altroz from Dulichand Motors, Anandapur, Kolkata on November 25, 2022. Initial colour option Opera Blue was replaced by Downtown Red, although I personally liked the Avenue White most. We took delivery on December 22, 2022 and as on today (27.12.2023) I’ve driven 11650 km, (anniversary odometer – 11317 km) which includes a Kolkata – Puri roadtrip during Durga Puja, 2023 and a few trips to my native place in Bankura district, West Bengal. 11000 km in a year is not bad for a new driver.

Except the engine refinement and initial acceleration, I’ve faced no issue so far. Yes the gearbox was a bit stiff, but after 10000 km, it’s become smoother.

Regarding mileage, I’m getting between 15-17 kmpl in city traffic in Kolkata and 22-24 kmpl on highway (with AC being switched off most of the time). During my Puri road trip, I’ve had managed to get 25.5 kmpl as the best mileage figure, with AC being turned on occasionally.

What adds more pleasure to the highway drives is the punchy Harman 4 speakers + 2 twitters sound system. It’s so beautiful and better than Glanza, I 20. But yes, additional 2 twitters (as with XZ Plus) generates a more balanced output, as in my car, higher volume translates into slight distortion.

One more thing, despite having a low ground clearance, the body roll problem is very much there in Altroz. So cornering is not always a cakewalk.

I’ve rotated the tyres while checking the wheel balance and alignment post 8500 km completion and had to change the brake pad as it was heavily damaged. I’m also thinking to replace the OEM MRF ZVTV tyres (195/55 R16) post completion of 20000 km, with either of the following ones: MRF Perfinza, Continental UC6 and Yokohama Blue Earth GT; as the ZVTV tyres produce a lot of cabin noise, and the braking is not that great.

Overall, the Altroz n.a petrol is a very good family car. But a slightly more powerful and refined engine would have been great. Heard that the BS6-II engine has reduced the NVH to a great extent, and delivers slightly more power, but I’m yet to test drove that updated engine. Regarding the initial pick up issue, I’ve talked with tuners in Kolkata for a ECU stage 1 remapping, but have not decided yet whether I should go with it.

One thing I would like to see improved is the service centre experience. Tata Motors needs to seriously look into it. In fact, if showroom/service centre experience is concerned, I’ve the best experience with Toyota (I visited Topsel Toyota, Anandapur, Kolkata, just beside Dulichand and their service centre is conveniently located on the same premises). Toyota guys are so professional and knowledgeable. If Toyota rolls out a good car with a good BNCAP rating, who knows my next car will be from Toyota.

Regards!

Tata Altroz : Official Review-pxl_20230912_120155147.night01.jpeg

Tata Altroz : Official Review-pxl_20231118_091243482.night01.jpeg

Last edited by libranof1987 : 14th March 2024 at 16:50. Reason: Spacing, removing non-forum smileys.
Stupaq25 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 21:13   #533
BHPian

Is there any difference in the performance of Altroz Diesel BS6 Vs BS6.2?
Old 6th March 2024, 22:55   #534

Hello,

I purchased a pre-owned Altroz 2021 XE BS6 Petrol from Spinny in September 2023 with ~15k KM on the odometer. After the purchase, I opted for 3 years extended warranty from TATA.

Recently I had got 1st major service done at ~20k KM on odometer (All 3 free services were done by previous owner). I have some queries related to this service:

1. Total cost for this service was 12000/- which is much higher than what I expected. Is it normally around this for 1st major service & what should be expected future service costs (Attached invoice)
Tata Altroz : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240306-22.10.27.jpeg
Tata Altroz : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240306-22.10.26-1.jpeg
Tata Altroz : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240306-22.10.26.jpeg

2. There was a problem with AC recirculation unit & actuator was replaced to fix this. However, it was not covered under warranty. But later on I read in another post that someone got actuator replaced under warranty - https://www.team-bhp.com/news/37500-...under-warranty

Is there any place where I can check parts covered under extended warranty & what are my options if I was wrongly charged for actuator

3. There is a leakage in AC suction pipe which needs replacement & price quoted is 5500/-. I refused to get it done for now as price seemed very high to me & as per SA this was also not covered under warranty.
Anyone has idea how much this part should cost & if it should be under warranty.
Tata Altroz : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240224-18.03.03.jpeg
akshaybndlsh3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 16:08   #535
BHPian

Re: My 1st year ownership review of Tata Altroz XZ NA Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupaq25 View Post
Hello BHPians,
This is my first post and here I’m going to share my experience of 1 year with my Altroz 1.2 N.A petrol XZ.
Even I'm looking forward for a TD of Altroz 1.2 NA petrol with BS6.2 engine. Contacted Adishakti Cars near Hebbal, Bengaluru and they said TD with that engine will be available only at the end of March. Expecting a much fine tuned engine plus much lower cabin NVH.
Hope there will be no price hike with this version of the engine

Fingers crossed!!
Old 13th March 2024, 18:10   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hot_punto View Post
Hope there will be no price hike with this version of the engine

Fingers crossed!!
Quite the contrary!

Tata is offering upto 75000 offers on Altroz this month. This is the pic shared by Trichy Kaveri Tata. I don't think individual dealers would give such huge discounts. Tata must have sent a circular regarding March offers (given the end of financial year by 31st March).

Tata Altroz : Official Review-screenshot_20240313181805_whatsapp.jpg

Also, BS6.2 engine is very noticeably refined.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 13th March 2024 at 18:13.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 14:38   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Quite the contrary!

Tata is offering upto 75000 offers on Altroz this month. This is the pic shared by Trichy Kaveri Tata. I don't think individual dealers would give such huge discounts. Tata must have sent a circular regarding March offers (given the end of financial year by 31st March).
It's most likely that this offer doesn't apply to the new BS6.2 models. Probably TATA want to clearup the existing stock engines before 6.2 hits the market. Otherwise it'll become difficult for them to push older engines in the presence of newer and more refined ones!
Old 14th March 2024, 16:34   #538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's most likely that this offer doesn't apply to the new BS6.2 models. Probably TATA want to clearup the existing stock engines before 6.2 hits the market. Otherwise it'll become difficult for them to push older engines in the presence of newer and more refined ones!
BS6.2 has been selling for about 6 months now IIRC.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 02:38   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Tata has upgraded their 1.2L revotron engine to BS6.2 way back in March 2023. We bought a Tigor in May that came with a BS6.2 engine.
Shanksta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 12:16   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Tata has upgraded their 1.2L revotron engine to BS6.2 way back in March 2023. We bought a Tigor in May that came with a BS6.2 engine.
Got a call from another Tata Motors dealer from Kundanahalli, Whitefield area. Even they claimed they are getting BS6.2 engines from last Nov itself.

How's your experience with BS6.2 w.r.t NVH levels compared to earlier lower versioned engines of TATAs if in case you have driven them? And about overall engine performance?
red_hot_punto is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks