Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2022, 19:09   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Tata Motors has teased the Altroz Automatic, launch soon.
Tata Altroz DCT petrol automatic to come with 1.2 NA engine only. Expected to be offered in the top-spec XZ+ trim.

Quote:
While Tata Motors had tested the Altroz DCT with 1.2-litre turbo-petrol engine earlier, this engine-gearbox combination is proving to be too expensive for our market, which would make the car priced much higher than its direct rival, the Hyundai i20 DCT. This is what has led Tata Motors to introduce the DCT automatic gearbox with the 1.2-litre naturally aspirated engine instead. The DCT equipped Altroz is expected to be around 20kgs heavier than its manual counterpart.
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 19:49   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

A rare combination of a naturally aspirated motor with a DCT.

Let’s hope Tata has tested it well considering the lack of torque in a naturally aspirated motor + DCTs inherent heating issues.

A common question many will have in mind;

1.2L NA - Tortoise
DCT - Rabbit

What will be the outcome?

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 28th February 2022 at 19:50.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 22:11   #408
Distinguished - BHPian

Confirmation from my birdie at the plant - the Altroz DCT will come with a 6-speed DCT and more importantly, it will be paired to the 1.2L Naturally Aspirated petrol engine only.

No Altroz i-Turbo DCT on the cards for a future launch, as of now.

I had given a big hint about the engine type in the Altroz iTurbo official review thread earlier on 07th January 2022, but nobody paid attention to it.

I was in the know about this for the past two months, but was asked to hold the info till the time was right to release it.

Expect the NA engine to be a strict commuter only and people should not compare it with Polo GT or other turbo AT engine-gearbox combos. This will be for pure drive comfort only. Period.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 28th February 2022 at 22:14.
RavenAvi is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 00:44   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Indeed a bad move.

The 1.2 N/A is an already poor engine and the DCT is going to be one very dull car to drive.

iturbo or diesel with the DCT combination would have made a lot more sense. Perhaps Tata doesn't want to bite into the Nexon's sales pie I guess.

Nexon's 6 speed MT with the same tune in both diesel and turbo petrol Altroz, as well as DCT with both those engines in Nexon's tune would have made the altroz truly gold standard. Now it just is a potentially good car plagued by sub-standard product planning decisions.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 1st March 2022 at 00:47.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 07:04   #410
Senior - BHPian

Well, this is not a surprise. It is in line with Tata's strategy of never launching a complete car model. If they give AT to all variants they will chose an AMT. In cars with proper automatics, there will be no safety rating . For cars with perfomance oriented AT box, they will choose the least powerful engine to mate it. The product team must be applauded for finding novel ways to adhere to this legacy at all costs.
padmrajravi is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 10:04   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Confirmation from my birdie at the plant - the Altroz DCT will come with a 6-speed DCT and more importantly, it will be paired to the 1.2L Naturally Aspirated petrol engine only.

Aboslutely baffled at this approach! 1.2 NA is a commuter, noisy, low powered, truly agricultural engine - I know it because I've been using it for the past approximately 6 years in my 2016 Tata Tiago which was to be the main car for my mother going forward while the new i-Turbo with a DCT joins the family. Now, Altroz is off the consideration list and it break my heart as I truly liked the car! Tata management team - you numb nuts

Quote:
I had given a big hint about the engine type in the Altroz iTurbo official review thread earlier on 07th January 2022, but nobody paid attention to it.
Hawt damn...although had read your post a couple of times, just didn't fathom that Tata would pull such an atrocious and ill-thought out stunt! After reading this comment, I again re-read your old post and now - with quinty eyes there is indeed, a paltry resemblance of the 'leaf' motif barely visible in the grainy shot.
Old 2nd March 2022, 15:42   #412
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors has opened bookings for the Altroz DCA (Dual Clutch Automatic).

Booking amount Rs 21,000 and deliveries to start from mid-March 2022.

New Blue Colour

Tata Altroz : Official Review-20220302_153937.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 2nd March 2022 at 15:59.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 16:06   #413
BHPian

I think we ought to look at this from a business POV. Do we know which engine sells the most? The NA or the Turbo? If the NA sells more, then it probably makes more sense to have the auto paired to it. Could probably bring more sales than if the iTurbo had the auto. While all us enthusiasts would have appreciated the iTurbo and auto together, perhaps the business believed, based on whatever market data they have, that the NA and auto pairing would make more sense.

One of the comments also mentions that the pricing would have become outrageous. Even if the iTurbo and auto combo came through, would anyone have paid that much more? We'd have probably seen comments like "Oh it's priced this much? Forget it, I'm buying an i20."

My 2 cents anyway.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 15:09   #414

A general info to all BHPians owning an Altroz XZ, especially the ones with dual port headlamp configuration. As per Tata user manual (attached pic), high beam is supposed to have normal reflector with H1, 55W halogen bulb, while low beam is projector type with H7, again 55W halogen. This, according to my understanding until now, is the normal convention for bulb placement due to beam forming nature of the H1 & H7 bulbs, and accordingly I bought a pair of Phillips X-tremeVision G-force (55W) H7 bulbs as well as Osram Nightbreaker Laser (55W) H1 bulbs. Today morning I opened the lamp housing of the car and to my utter surprise, both the stock bulbs are H7 and of course, the bulb holders as well. Now I've a pair of non-returnable H1 bulbs bought for ₹1400 and I can do nothing about it. So much for believing the user manual! Yeah, I know I should have consulted the service guys prior to the purchase but in my defence, I can say that I did my research online for Altroz bulb replacement but there was not much about the high beam issue. Nevertheless, I think this sort of careless treatment of material in a user manual from reputed companies like Tata is completely unacceptable. I'm intending to write a mail to them, and even though I don't expect any personal benefit out of this to mitigate my lost money, at least someone else who refers their user manuals for replacement parts benefit from the cause.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz : Official Review-screenshot_20220305142331__01.jpg  

MasterFoxD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 13:41   #415
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
What you won't:

• Under-powered, lame & noisy 3-cylinder 1.2L petrol engine

Great review.
Just wanted to ask, how will you rate this engine as compared to the Polo 1.0 MPi (non-turbo)
Old 21st March 2022, 12:29   #416
BHPian

2022 Tata Altroz DCA launched in India, prices start from Rs 8.10 lakh

Tata Motors has launched the Tata Altroz DCA, the dual-clutch automatic version of the hatchback, in India with prices starting from Rs 8.10 lakh for the XMA Plus variant. Bookings for the Atroz DCT have already begun with deliveries set to commence soon.

Tata Altroz : Official Review-2022tataaltrozdca01900x506.jpg

2022 Tata Altroz DCT Specifications

Unlike previously rumoured, the Tata Altroz DCT with its six-speed gearbox is being offered with the base 1.2-litre Revotron three-cylinder petrol engine only. This motor makes 86PS and 113Nm. The wet-clutch DCT used in the Altroz uses switch-by-wire technology and uses a planetary gearset that uses fewer components to improve reliability. The gearbox also has a India-specific cooling system while the shift program has been specifically developed by Tata Motors for this gearbox. The DCT also incorporates a self-healing technology that will flush the system with oil and reset valves to increase transmission life.

Other engine options on offer are the 1.2-litre turbo-petrol with 110PS and 140 Nm. A diesel version is also available with a 1.5-litre motor that makes 90PS and 200 Nm. All engines can be paired with a five-speed manual.

Tata Altroz : Official Review-2022tataaltrozdcainteriors900x506.jpg

2022 Tata Altroz DCT Features, Variants
The Tata Altroz DCT is being offered with the higher XMA Plus, XTA, XZA and XZA Plus variants, along with two Dark variants. Notable features include projector headlamps, 16-inch alloy wheels, climate control, semi-digital instrument cluster, cruise control, 7-inch touchscreen infotainment, eight-speaker Harman sound system and keyless entry with push start.The Altroz DCT will get a new Opera Blue paint shade and will also be available in the Dark styling package.

The Altroz has a 5-star GlobalNCAP safety rating with safety features including dual airbags, ABS with EBD, rear parking sensors, and a parking camera.

Tata Altroz : Official Review-2022tataaltrozdcaprices900x506.jpg

2022 Tata Altroz DCT Prices, Rivals
The top-spec Tata Altroz DCA XZA Plus Dark is priced at Rs 9.89 lakh while the mid-spec Altroz DCA XZA costs Rs 9.10 lakh. The Tata hatchback competes with the likes of the Hyundai i20 1.2-litre CVT, the Honda Jazz CVT as well as the Maruti Suzuki Baleno and Toyota Glanza AMT twins.

Tata Altroz : Official Review-tata_altroz3.jfif.png

Tata Altroz : Official Review-tata_altroz.jpg

Tata Altroz : Official Review-tata_altroz1.jpg

Tata Altroz : Official Review-tata_altroz2.jpg

Source: Overdrive

Last edited by ManneAtWheelz : 21st March 2022 at 12:36.
ManneAtWheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 17:52   #417
BHPian

Update on my Brothers Altroz Diesel :
The car was around 6 months old and, and went in for the 15k km service. Brother has a bit high running because of his work. Apart from the slow, buggy and occasionally crashing head unit, everything else was apparently normal to us, the SVC called by evening (Focuz Kottayam), and informed that they have identified a serious issue with the car and they have already communicated the same to Tata Motors, and have ordered the replacement parts (Under warranty). Kudos to the service team for this, and the prompt response. I am pretty sure any other SVC around here would not have even identified the issue. (Personal experience with other SVCs around the area)

So, the issue was they saw oil leaking from the clutch housing, which upon inspection turned out to be the input shaft seal of the gearbox being damaged (They did not give more details, or an explanation for how this happened). Oil was leaking from the gear box, and was dripping on to the clutch, and was leaking out through the bell housing. They communicated that they would not be replacing the gearbox as a whole, but would be replacing the clutch disc, pressure plate, input shaft seal of the gearbox, and would drain out and fill new oil in the gearbox.

The parts took around 2 weeks to arrive, and then the work was completed in 2 days. Brother was happy that the issue was identified on time, and more than happy to have a new clutch at 15k km. Cannot stress this anymore, please have the extended warranty on your cars. Overall this was a pleasant experience for us. We were charged around 1000 rs for the consumables for this work including the gear box oil and few other plugs/nuts/washers etc, which we were more than happy to pay for. We got a separate bill for the 15k service. About the issue, not sure if this is a common issue or just a one off case. Post the job, SVC had asked us to keep an eye out for any dripped oil marks on the parking area for a few weeks. It has been almost a month post this, and thankfully we have not noticed any oil leaks so far.
ps_abhijith is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 18:11   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps_abhijith View Post
Update on my Brothers Altroz Diesel :

So, the issue was they saw oil leaking from the clutch housing, which upon inspection turned out to be the input shaft seal of the gearbox being damaged (They did not give more details, or an explanation for how this happened). Oil was leaking from the gear box, and was dripping on to the clutch, and was leaking out through the bell housing.
Did the car hit a hump or a rock or anything that is high enough to cause a damage? The low ground clearance is risky and I have seen few owner videos where they had to to replace parts damaged due to car bottoming out.

This is one reason which made us choose the i20 over Altroz. The 5mm difference and stiff suspension makes i20 a bit more safer, in comparison.
Old 10th May 2022, 15:04   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Did the car hit a hump or a rock or anything that is high enough to cause a damage?
There was no external physical damage, this seemed like a bad seal from factory. Thankfully this is identified on time before there were any damages.
Old 10th May 2022, 15:59   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps_abhijith View Post
There was no external physical damage, this seemed like a bad seal from factory. Thankfully this is identified on time before there were any damages.
Its a known issue. Was changed on my car at 9500kms when I found the leak during my routine inspection. Also ask your brother to observe any increase in oil level. There are few cases of diesel getting mixed with oil.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks