Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2020, 16:33   #31
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The 80kmph and 120kmph speed warning is Govt. mandated and no ways to remove or disable it at all. It's for all cars sold in India for last 1 year.
Vid - I know this. Apart from this my GT and the older polo's came with a speed limit that could be set. Above that the true speed would get stuck to the set speed limit. I don't know whether this functionality is still there/removed/modified in the current ones.
Old 5th August 2020, 16:56   #32
BHPian

I don't know if I have missed it, but I don't find any mention of actual KMPL figures?
Any owners could please help with City and Highway figures?
DriveOnceMore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 17:30   #33
BHPian

GTO where was this shot taken? The road looks like something out of a European highway.

On topic though, am sorry but a gem of an engine on an ancient form is just not on Skoda (and VAG). Sure, one doesn't need 'face lifted' versions like the nonsense Maruti pushes out but you can't flog a decade + old design (both interior and exterior) with cosmetic touches.

Well, you can, but then you will be rewarded with the anaemic sales one sees for VAG models, even the entry level ones.

If a Kia can consistently sell 7-10K / month of the 12 Lakh + Seltos or MG with its Hector, an updated Rapid can definitely sell bigger volumes. Right now though it is restricted to the 'enthusiast' market.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 21:11   #34
Senior - BHPian

Skoda is busy trying to cash in on the ckd models while the Russia spec new gen Rapid should have been the one to introduce the 1.0 Tsi here. That thing is a looker!
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 21:42   #35
BHPian

This is the right thread for my query as it's about a "faaaast" turbo-petrol. How does it stack up against linea t-jet 2014 model. I have one and have been enjoying it.

Am in 2 minds whether to keep it or have a look at this Rapid. Pricing too seems to be reasonable. Since lockdown I had almost decided to keep t-jet for few years more but then this thread arrived on the scene
Old 5th August 2020, 22:18   #36
BHPian

So many references to the ‘Regular Deepak’ but the guy probably wont even buy a Rapid. The car will surely appeal to the enthusiasts for the driving pleasure but any regular guy will rather turn towards a Verna or the New city as he would focus less on engine & driving dynamics but more on the modern day features.

Features like push start/ stop button, a good OEM ICE unit (even an average one would do but this is just below average as per modern standards), a sunroof which is becoming a standard feature now in C segment & above, and many more. Even the premium hatchbacks offer these features these days and Skoda should have done a better homework regarding this.

All this apart, Rapid maintains my personal favourite in the segment just for the driving pleasure it offers, took 1 test drive and was thoroughly impressed. The boring and aged interiors didnt matter much to me. Rapid/ Rapid plus variant, I believe, is perfect if one wants to build the car as per his own specifications/ feature set.
ShivWason17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 23:23   #37
BHPian

Nice and crisp review. Anyone who has driven the rapid 1.0 tsi and the Aspire 1.5 tdci?? These 2 are the most oriented towards driving enthusiasts. Would like to know how it stacks up against one another.
Old 6th August 2020, 00:39   #38
BHPian

I want ask my fellow Bhpians which car do they prefer as the ultimate drivers hatchback -

1. Polo/rapid 1.0 tsi
2. Baleno Rs
3. Figo S / blu
4. Abarth punto
5. Tata jtp twins
Old 6th August 2020, 00:55   #39
BHPian

A friend is considering Rapid Ambition or Onyx. We have done a test drive and liked it. Skoda dealership is offering a good deal too.

Just wanted to ask, realistically what mileage figure can we expect from this TSi within city traffic (like Kolkata)? Considering strictly light footed driving within city (60kmph limits)

Secondly, dealership is claiming Onyx edition white colour isn't in production anymore so pushing the blue colour or downgrading to Ambient for white colour.

How can we figure this out? Frustratingly Skoda call center forwarded our question to that same dealership. Who are eager to clear their available stock rather ordering from Skoda !!
Old 6th August 2020, 01:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
Secondly, dealership is claiming Onyx edition white colour isn't in production anymore so pushing the blue colour or downgrading to Ambient for white colour.

How can we figure this out? Frustratingly Skoda call center forwarded our question to that same dealership. Who are eager to clear their available stock rather ordering from Skoda !!
I think you are dealing with Global Skoda, Kolkata right? Would suggest you speak to Azad Singh (+91 9073962558). A very senior and trusted person, heading the sales team there since a decade. Infact over two dozen Skodas have been bought by us via him. Do take my reference, he will help sort things out and be able to arrange things to his possibility as per your choice.

Best Regards,
Rohin Raj Sureka
cityvic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 03:00   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Driving the 1.0L TSI MT

On the open road, you'll enjoy the revv-happiness of this triple-cylinder engine with a permanent plastered on your face. There might be a puny 1.0L unit under the hood, but thanks to turbocharging and all that technology, you will easily be able to keep up with sedans from a segment above! This is the most fun-to-drive C2 segment sedan on sale today, with the turbo-petrol begging you to drive it hard. Outright performance is impressive and it makes the Rapid a fast sleeper.
Hello,

This was a great review, as always. I was saving it for the weekend reading list, but here I am at 02:43 hrs typing a thank you post after thoroughly enjoying the review. Thank you so much Aditya & team.

This is arguably the best part of Team BHP, the reviews. They are just immaculate. I realize how much hard work goes behind compiling such a review. Converting thoughts & feelings into words is one tough job. Kudos to the team.

Coming to the car, I have a question to the members of Team BHP in Hyderabad, who own a Skoda. How is the after-sale service like in the city? I have read several Skoda horror-stories, only skeptical because of them, otherwise I am in love with the performance of the car.

Neo
neo_narender is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 08:06   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
Quick questions for those who have already driven the car. How does the experience compare with 1.6 Tdi? I'm loathe to let go of my Vento since I just can't find anything that comes remotely close to the experience (combined effect of ride quality, engine performance and torque delivery).
I love the 1.6 TDI too and it is easily an equal match. Better driveability & stupendous performance, especially with one of the ready remaps. I remember my drives in the Polo 1.6 TDI as one of the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Even though roads are empty like this, I drive around 100 only. I enjoy my drive at that speed where i can enjoy my music and surroundings as well.
You can do 6,500 rpm in 1st & 2nd gears .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
GTO where was this shot taken? The road looks like something out of a European highway.
Mumbai-Pune Expressway, early in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
This is the right thread for my query as it's about a "faaaast" turbo-petrol. How does it stack up against linea t-jet 2014 model. I have one and have been enjoying it.
Both have wonderful engines with their own pros & cons.

Linea T-Jet is more stable at high speeds. An absolute tank. Linea also had a pure hydraulic steering, among the best ever offered in India.

Rapid is more agile & chuckable. A crucial advantage is that its sorted ergonomically. I could never live with the Linea as I couldn't ever find a comfortable driving position in the Punto / Linea, despite driving so many of them. Rapid also has a slick gearshift, unlike the clunky one in the Linea.

I'm just happy that we've seen fun-to-drive sedans like these in the affordable categories of India. Am not one of those who believes you need to spend money to have fun. I can have as much fun in a Linea T-Jet / Rapid TSI as I would in a BMW 330i.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 08:41   #43
BHPian

Test drove the New Polo 1.0 TSI and I must say the engine felt very rev-happy and the pull towards higher rpm was strong. Although I felt some pedal vibrations while idling, that is something the 3-cylinder engine to be blamed for.
Yet to drive the Rapid 1.0 TSI. I really want to know how the add-on weight is behaving.

Does anyone know is the air filter same as of the old 1.6 MPI engines ? Looks the same.
Vishnu Shaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 08:45   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Both have wonderful engines with their own pros & cons.

Linea T-Jet is more stable at high speeds. An absolute tank. Linea also had a pure hydraulic steering, among the best ever offered in India.

Rapid is more agile & chuckable. A crucial advantage is that its sorted ergonomically. I could never live with the Linea as I couldn't ever find a comfortable driving position in the Punto / Linea, despite driving so many of them. Rapid also has a slick gearshift, unlike the clunky one in the Linea.

I'm just happy that we've seen fun-to-drive sedans like these in the affordable categories of India. Am not one of those who believes you need to spend money to have fun. I can have as much fun in a Linea T-Jet / Rapid TSI as I would in a BMW 330i.
Absolutely! Difficult seating position, long clutch travel, a bit of turbo lag at lower rpms were some of the cons.

However the hydraulic steering, build quality and excellent braking ability with that sweet turbo ensured that I forget everything else!.

Thanks for the detailed note, tjet stays on...
SSD2122 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 09:13   #45
Senior - BHPian

To those who say that the Rapid is an old platform, do note the new platforms of VW that come as a replacement are nowhere near as solid or stable as the old ones.

The Rapid rides on the PQ25 Platform and its replacement when it comes will be the MQB. The current Rapid represents the last of the solid platforms.

The P series of platforms had varying platforms for different segments. This gave VW the leeway to properly engineer the platforms to accommodate the varying requirements of different segments. (read that as better high speed stability and no cost cutting)

In the MQB, there is cost cutting and the same platform is used across all models and VW haven't been able to build in as much perfection as the earlier ones resulting in loss of solid feel and high speed stability.

The MQB appears to be built for the D segment size - the Superb is stable but again nowhere near as rock solid as the earlier one.

However when VW exercised the modular function (M in MQB is for Modular) for the lower segments such as the Octavia, there is a clear lack of high speed stability. Compare the Laura and the new Octavia for the planted feel at speed and you'll know where VW did the cost cutting.

The Laura came with the PQ34 platform and the earlier Superb came with the PL45+ platform. Those cars were ultra stable at any speed and the Rapid stood at its rightful position as number 3 in the pecking order of solid feel and high speed stability.

But now, when compared to the the MQB platformed Octavia, the Rapid has far better feel and high speed stability. So, if you're in the market for a Rapid, the current platform is an advantage.

Last edited by AMG Power : 6th August 2020 at 09:42.
AMG Power is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks