Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2020, 18:26   #121
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review

What are the best FE figures on highway that the 1.0L TSI MT has achieved so far here, either on Rapid and/or on Polo? Any ideas?
Vipin Kumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 18:29   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Yes, I got an Onyx AT in Noida 3 weeks back for 11.9L OTR including Insurance with zero Dep, RTI, EP, etc and rear camera from Style variant , plus other accessories like carpet mats, rear blinds for windshield and door and others. That's a whopping 1.6L off from the sticker price. Compared to 10.9 for the Rider Plus AT or Polo AT this was a no brainer.

Haven't taken the EW yet, will do so in a couple of months.
Congrats for buying Rapid Onyx AT.

Rs.11.9L OTR on Onyx AT seems to be a sweet deal that too along with insurance with zero dep.RTI,EP etc.

Can you please add some pics of your Rapid Onyx?
car_guy1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 21:58   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Congrats for buying Rapid Onyx AT.

Rs.11.9L OTR on Onyx AT seems to be a sweet deal that too along with insurance with zero dep.RTI,EP etc.

Can you please add some pics of your Rapid Onyx?
Here you go !

Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20201117-9.44.27-pm.jpeg

Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20201117-9.44.27-pm-1.jpeg
Altocumulus is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 00:50   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here you go !
Hi Altocumulus, Beautiful pictures there. What’s the initial impression of your car? Anything to say about the AT compared to the manual ? I know you drove your Duster to Calcutta otherwise would have got your long drive feedback for the Onyx too !!

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 18th November 2020 at 01:02.
Old 18th November 2020, 01:44   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Hi Altocumulus, Beautiful pictures there. What’s the initial impression of your car? Anything to say about the AT compared to the manual ? I know you drove your Duster to Calcutta otherwise would have got your long drive feedback for the Onyx too !!
Thanks Abhi. I did do a Delhi Jaipur Delhi in the Rapid just before coming to Kolkata in the Duster. Going back this weekend and then Shimla next week Not yet decided which one to take. Inclined to see how the Rapid does in the hills and give the Duster a well deserved rest.

But in the Jaipur trip, the Rapid was fantastic. It did not feel like a 1L engine at all, something much bigger. Mid range is fantastic. The AT in D mode is seamless and 95% of the time you wont understand the shifts, up or down. Always in the turbo zone, so enough power for sudden overtakes. Aggressive kickdowns can be felt though, and it takes a second before it downshifts. In S mode, though I used it for a very short while, the kickdowns are faster than D but very aggressive and pronounced . It's like in a manual car when you downshift without revv matching but fun nonetheless. Shift timings in manual mode are seamless. There is absolutely no lag and even you can drive aggressively. I am still in run-in so kept the revvs low and didn't push much. However after I crossed 1000 kms, I did for once put it in Manual and took it upto 6500 rpm gradually, and it maxed out at a little below 100 in 2nd before shifting to 3rd. The digital MID gets locked with the 80kmph warning post 80, which is irritating so was relying on the analogue speedo. Till now I think its a great buy, and touchwood hope it remains that way. One thing I missed a lot, is Cruise Control since Onyx doesn't have that.

The MT has a lot of turbo lag lower down, which is a bit irritating and kind off a deal breaker for me. I get pukish with the sudden surges. That is masked very well in the AT. MT allows you to wheel spin, AT even with Traction Control off wont allow that. The MT should be more fun, but the AT is no slouch at all. If you are not used to the DSG, you will not miss it for sure. For a TC it is very fast.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 18th November 2020 at 02:02.
Altocumulus is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 09:32   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Your car looks beautiful.

But,I suggest you to remove the door side beadings ASAP as it spoils the clean and understated looks of Skoda Rapid.

And,in the second picture,you got the TSI badging for your car as well right?Where did you get that badging BTW?
car_guy1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 21:52   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post

Last month, I went for a friend looking for Rider Plus but switched to Onyx as I was offered 10.5L (on road Kolkata with Zero Dep insurance & 2 years EW) + some good accesories (like rear camera & such) on Rapid Onyx Blue edition.
Was this for the automatic or the manual version? I'm looking for a new car in Kolkata. I had raised a query with the Skoda kolkata dealership and getting about 65k off the exshowroom on the automatic Style and Onyx versions. Do you have any info on the discounts on offer on the automatic?
Thanks!

Last edited by 7000plusrpm : 18th November 2020 at 21:53.
7000plusrpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 22:55   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
Was this for the automatic or the manual version? I'm looking for a new car in Kolkata. I had raised a query with the Skoda kolkata dealership and getting about 65k off the exshowroom on the automatic Style and Onyx versions. Do you have any info on the discounts on offer on the automatic?
Thanks!
It was manual.

We went there before the AT was launched. So I don't have any information about recent offers.

Bargain on insurance, their handling charges & push for some good accessories like Rear View Camera & such.

Little nagging on these points did get us a good deal as mentioned above.

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 22:08   #129
BANNED

Nice official review. One thing is very concerning: Most cars are not coming with any kind of underbody protection and this engine is complex and sophisticated. Is there any retrofit that Skoda offers to shield the engine from the road - pebbles and stones can cause enormous damage and the condition of Indian roads warrants underbody protection. Does any Rapid owner know of this kind of protection? I am not sure what the rough road package is - but does that come with protection against pebbles and stones hitting the bottom of the engine?
paperweight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 12:35   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Your car looks beautiful.

But,I suggest you to remove the door side beadings ASAP as it spoils the clean and understated looks of Skoda Rapid.

And,in the second picture,you got the TSI badging for your car as well right?Where did you get that badging BTW?
Thanks car_guy1998, I actually like the side beading, as I think it goes well with the black alloys. Got the TSI badge from Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
Thanks!
I got nearly more than double of that as discount for my Onyx AT in Delhi. If you are taking a loan, let the bank negotiate. They have a different deal with them. I also got the insurance from my bank which cost be nearly half of what the showroom was quoting including 0Dep, RTI, Engine and Gearbox Protection, consumables, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperweight View Post
Nice official review. One thing is very concerning: Most cars are not coming with any kind of underbody protection and this engine is complex and sophisticated. Is there any retrofit that Skoda offers to shield the engine from the road - pebbles and stones can cause enormous damage and the condition of Indian roads warrants underbody protection. Does any Rapid owner know of this kind of protection? I am not sure what the rough road package is - but does that come with protection against pebbles and stones hitting the bottom of the engine?
There is no engine protection. The Tsi engine generates a lot of heat, maybe that's the reason they didn't give it. We had reached out to Zac Hollis directly with regards to what comprises of the Rough Road Package. He was kind enough to personally reply with the below images that it consists of 3 panels. One being a V Belt protection, and 2 underbody protection panels, one on each side.

Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-image001.jpg

Name:  image002.png
Views: 5242
Size:  37.1 KB

Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-image003.jpg

Last edited by Altocumulus : 24th November 2020 at 12:39.
Altocumulus is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 09:41   #131
BHPian

Was reading some news articles recently that Skoda has stopped accepting bookings for the rapid as they have hit the production capacity. From the sales data for October, Skoda sold a little over 1000 units of Rapid.

Is that the production capacity they have got? 1000 units/month? I'm surprised by this as many models from Suzuki and Hyundai do 10,000+ monthly sales.
Horizon85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 17:23   #132
e46
BHPian

Hello All,

This is how manufacturers should price and spec their base trim cars.
I got a sense in the last few pages that the base variant has been shelved. However, the official portal of Skoda India clearly states the Rider variant is available & starts at 7.49L and also provides an overview of features available in it.
So, is it a dealer level tactic to push prospective customers to Rider+/ Ambition/ upper levels?

- Abhishek
e46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 22:59   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperweight View Post
Does any Rapid owner know of this kind of protection? I am not sure what the rough road package is - but does that come with protection against pebbles and stones hitting the bottom of the engine?
Hi there, I guess I am eligible to answer your query, I own a 2019 DSG TDi and even my car lacked an underbody protection, which I realised in a month of my ownership. I googled it and found out that VW sells it in the spare parts counter and should cost between 5-8k. So, I immediately called & mentioned this to the sales manager of Skoda Raipur- Mr. Praveen, call it his generosity and that gentleman acknowledged my concern and decided to throw in an underbody cover for free and I just had to pay for the labour charges, fair enough. Please find the pictures below of the same (although bit dirty)-

Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-5769ae7df85f488eada95134ce4b204f.jpeg

Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-67913e7fc8334e968411a495964205b5.jpeg

I must agree that it does wonders, first- you get a peace of mind that your expensive ride is safe from underbody hits and second it helps to keep the engine bay spick-and-span.

I hope it was helpful.
Cheers!
sachin_cs is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 20:38   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
Hi there, I guess I am eligible to answer your query, I own a 2019 DSG TDi and even my car lacked an underbody protection, which I realised in a month of my ownership. I googled it and found out that VW sells it in the spare parts counter and should cost between 5-8k. So, I immediately called & mentioned this to the sales manager of Skoda Raipur- Mr. Praveen, call it his generosity and that gentleman acknowledged my concern and decided to throw in an underbody cover for free and I just had to pay for the labour charges, fair enough. Please find the pictures below of the same (although bit dirty)-
This is awesome. Do you by chance have the part number. I would like to order one for my TSI for peace of mind. Though am a little skeptical about the heat dissipation.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 13:03   #135
e46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
Hello All,

This is how manufacturers should price and spec their base trim cars.
I got a sense in the last few pages that the base variant has been shelved. However, the official portal of Skoda India clearly states the Rider variant is available & starts at 7.49L and also provides an overview of features available in it.
So, is it a dealer level tactic to push prospective customers to Rider+/ Ambition/ upper levels?

- Abhishek
Looks like I guessed that right, as Skoda seems to have discontinued the base Rider variant and Rapid now starts at 7.99L.

https://indianautosblog.com/skoda-ra...tinued-p322006

- Abhishek.
e46 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks