Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2021, 19:44   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
Hey folks - I took delivery of my Skoda Rapid yesterday and boy it is a joy to drive.

One thing I noticed was then when I press the outer body parts like bonet, doors etc..the metal seem to be getting pressed in. Is this normal? For the build quality I thought Skoda cars would have a lot stronger metal part. Or does the build quality come from structural integrity more than the metal itself?
They are build better in places that others tend to ignore.

Have a look at the door hinge and then compare it with others, you will see the difference.

The first time you get into a mild fender bender , all you would need is a rub and polish and you're golden.

3 years from today you will have a lot more 'straight and Inline' body panels than others.

You will observe a lot more things as you spend time with it, happy motoring
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 23:28   #212
BHPian

Re: Initial Ownership - Unique buying experience of Skoda Rapid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedanGuy View Post
1. I feel the clutch is closely positioned to the dead pedal. I have been driving my Rapid mostly on long highway drives and whenever I use crocs while driving they tend to get stuck between clutch and dead pedal. I have started wearing narrow shoes just for highway driving.

2. The stock lights are completely useless. I had a tough time driving it in Mangalore. The highway linking Mangalore city to smaller towns like Suratkal and Mulki are not well lit, had a few sketchy moments.
1. Wearing Crocs and driving is a problem in my Swift Dzire too. I think crocs in general are big for driving manual transmissions.

2. Try switching the fog lamps next time. I have had better visibility after switching them on.
ankitsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 09:57   #213
BHPian

When I start my Skoda Rapid, there is a distinct noise from engine, which goes a bit low after sometime. Is this normal? Is this how turbo engines are supposed to work?

Petrol engines are expected to be less noisy than Diesel. Feels this one is making some noise.
sen2693 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 10:10   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When I start my Skoda Rapid, there is a distinct noise from engine, which goes a bit low after sometime. Is this normal? Is this how turbo engines are supposed to work?

Petrol engines are expected to be less noisy than Diesel. Feels this one is making some noise.
In my Octavia 1.8 TSI's experience, this is normal for these TSI engines. They initially idle at higher-than-usual revs in a slightly erratic manner, but stabilize within ~30-45 seconds depending upon the outside temperature.
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 10:51   #215
BHPian

Apologies for spamming this thread, new car, first car so a lot of doubts :-)

My dad figured out that the car is leaning towards right for about half an inch. Is that normal?
Old 19th April 2021, 11:56   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

My dad figured out that the car is leaning towards right for about half an inch. Is that normal?
Did you check air pressure recently?
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 15:30   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Did you check air pressure recently?
Nope. Living in a remote place that is not readily available. Do plan to check it though

By the way, what tyre pressure do you all maintain?

Last edited by sen2693 : 19th April 2021 at 15:49. Reason: Added aditional query in se post
Old 20th April 2021, 11:21   #218
BHPian

I was interacting with someone who has booked an onyx recently, he had to say that there are few changes to onyx edition viz. Silver orvms, white roof, front skirts etc. I downloaded the new brochure of the Rapid and it does appears that Skoda has made few changes silently unlike VW with special edition XYZ...
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-ac6a3ef351084a7fb735a0339d483a3a.png  

sachin_cs is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 15:46   #219

Quote:
Nope. Living in a remote place that is not readily available. Do plan to check it though

32 all tyres. I also use nitrogen. Pressure remains stable slightly longer.
scarecrowrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 21:38   #220
BHPian

Quote:

Happens the same with my 1.6 MPI. Nothing to be afraid. Stabilises in less than a minute until the oil starts circulating.
gasinveins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 07:02   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
29-30 psi if I was in a mood for fun
32-33 psi otherwise
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 01:17   #222
BHPian

Quote:

As others have mentioned this is the normal engine idling for 1.0 TSI. It settles down after it is hot enough, approximately after 45 seconds. I was in a similar worry though for the first time.

Quote:
Apologies for spamming this thread, new car, first car so a lot of doubts :-)

Air pressure most probably but if it persists even after right pressure then get the wheel alignment done. You can get the pressure chart on the inside of fuel lid.
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 21:05   #223
BHPian

Does anyone owning the 1.0 TSI Rapid know about the specification/grade of the Engine Oil to be used? I have completed 4500 Kms on my Rapid and upon a dipstick check, I found ~20% oil gone.

As per what I read on online about smaller Turbo petrol engines, this is normal

Surprisingly, the owner's manual that I got with the car does not specify anything about the 1.0 TSI. It only has details for the 1.5 Diesel & 1.6 Petrol.
R_Gowardhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 21:44   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Gowardhan View Post
Does anyone owning the 1.0 TSI Rapid know about the specification/grade of the Engine Oil to be used? I have completed 4500 Kms on my Rapid and upon a dipstick check, I found ~20% oil gone.

As per what I read on online about smaller Turbo petrol engines, this is normal

Surprisingly, the owner's manual that I got with the car does not specify anything about the 1.0 TSI. It only has details for the 1.5 Diesel & 1.6 Petrol.
Got my Ambition MT few days ago. This was the first thing I searched for as soon as I got the owner' manual. The OEM recommended specification is VW 502 00 (attaching image for reference)

Curious to understand the oil dip rate upon regular usage, given the long service intervals of 15K kms.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-16195397566228317627973491918691.jpg  

gowtham_vgc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 23:16   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowtham_vgc View Post
The OEM recommended specification is VW 502 00 (attaching image for reference)

Curious to understand the oil dip rate upon regular usage, given the long service intervals of 15K kms.
Thanks for sharing. Initially I was a bit surprised too but upon referring multiple online articles came to a conclusion that this is normal for Turbo petrol cars . More so in VAG cars with TSI/TFSI engines.

The general justification is that the engine oil is routed into the turbo charger unit too for cooling the components and hence the oil evaporates faster as compared with NA engine cars.

I managed to speak to the service rep from JMD Skoda and he confirmed the oil dip rate to be normal. He recommended 5W40 oil to top up the level once the levels are near half. However, the oil spec VW 502 00 as mentioned in the shared image corresponds to 5W30. More brain scratching needed.

Also, I noticed my engine bay to be very greasy everywhere. It’s not like a oil splash/spill from a leak but a film of oil spread evenly across all components. Is it simply due to the evaporating oil not able to escape the engine bay or is there something that I should be worried about ?

Last edited by R_Gowardhan : 27th April 2021 at 23:20.
R_Gowardhan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks