Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2021, 21:21   #241

Re: Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review

Hi Friends
This is my first post in Team BHP, though this forum has been my goto for more then a decade.

I own a 2012 Brio MT, and love it. But, i am planning to sell it and move on to a bigger car. I shortlisted the skoda rapid rider plus and the Honda city 4 gen. However, the pricing and handling of the rapid has tilted the scales towards the rapid.

I also enquired with Gurudev Motors, Ambattur. They are quoting 9.6 L onload for the rider plus MT. Delivery lead time seems to be 4 to 6 weeks. The extended 5 and 6 year warranty, worth around 30,000, might be offered free. As you say, they are not very eager to sell the rider variants.

Planning close the deal in July/Aug, provided the city doesn't charm and confuse me before that

Last edited by Aditya : 8th June 2021 at 10:00. Reason: Extra smiley deleted
Manickam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 09:47   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manickam View Post
provided the city doesn't charm and confuse me before that
Welcome to the Forum!

I drove a 2011 Honda Jazz from 2017 till Apr 2021 for ~70k kms before upgrading to my Rapid Ambition. The Jazz (which was based on the Honda City) was a fantastic car to drive. It was solid built, was excellent at handling and had bullet-proof reliability. The weakness was its misfit engine (Brio engine in a 1100 KG car!) & a severe Rusting problem which lead me to the decision to let her go.

My natural first choice was a new 4th Gen City. I wanted all the goodness of Jazz with a power & low end torque bump. Went to Honda. Withing the first 5 seconds of opening the door of the display vehicle my enthusiasm had vanished. The car felt overall inferior to my Jazz in every aspect. I still kept my emotion in check and went for a test drive. Good engine. That's all. In rest every department, my Jazz drove better. It felt criminal to even think of selling my Jazz & shelling out 10+ Lacs on the City. However, rusting was eating into my car so bad that it started seeping in water from behind the dashboard and one day without warning, the windshield slid from the frame & cracked. Once the windshield was removed, a new one could not be put back without a 2-3 day weld & body job.
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-1f40d0a0ef5c4390823e217c4179cb25.jpeg
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-2c0b954f33e440f98c0cd60409e7de88.jpeg

This sight further discouraged me from going for another Honda that inferior to my existing car.

Skoda was not even in consideration mainly due to their A.S.S. & dealer malpractice horror stories. The Rapid Rider @7.49 ad in the news paper made me go to the showroom and the test drive helped close the deal. Chose the Ambition instead though albeit a hefty discount. The car had everything I want and 6 months into buying, I am extremely happy with my decision

Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-13246a5ae1da43b4bf69938bc6366a01.jpeg
R_Gowardhan is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 13:01   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manickam View Post
Hi Friends
This is my first post in Team BHP, though this forum has been my goto for more then a decade.

I own a 2012 Brio MT, and love it. But, i am planning to sell it and move on to a bigger car. I shortlisted the skoda rapid rider plus and the Honda city 4 gen. However, the pricing and handling of the rapid has tilted the scales towards the rapid.

I also enquired with Gurudev Motors, Ambattur. They are quoting 9.6 L onload for the rider plus MT. Delivery lead time seems to be 4 to 6 weeks. The extended 5 and 6 year warranty, worth around 30,000, might be offered free. As you say, they are not very eager to sell the rider variants

Planning close the deal in July/Aug, provided the city doesn't charm and confuse me before that
Welcome to T-BHP member forum.

I booked the Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol AT Rider Plus variant by paying Rs 25000/- on Saturday. The SA informed the waiting period of 6-8 weeks and there are no discounts on offer for this variant though he will try to speed up the delivery schedule as they are expecting some cancellations due to lockdown.

I am dealing with Teynampet branch.

Thanks for the tip on the 5th and 6th year warranty offer which they will give you free. I will also ask for the same deal.

I was also thinking of going in for the Skoda Standard SMP which is the 4 year service package @ Rs 29999/-.

If anyone has taken this package and how does it compare to the yearly service costs pls advice.
Old 2nd June 2021, 16:38   #244
BHPian

I would suggest you just take the 4 year service package for Rs. 29999/-. A single service will cost you nearly 11k to 13k. The service pack makes a better sense unless you want to sell your car early.

In addition, you can try to negotiate with your car dealer if he can pass some benefits on the service pack.
TJ02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 00:46   #245
BHPian

Guys with the 1.0 TSI engine, any idea whether inter-cooler cleaning along with any EGR/similar components is required for this engine ? I went through the Owner's Manual but the regular service interval only talks about engine oil.
As the car is fitted with Turbo, I thought that similar to my Swift Diesel, EGR and Intercooler cleaning might be required here ?
Old 3rd June 2021, 00:54   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Guys with the 1.0 TSI engine, any idea whether inter-cooler cleaning along with any EGR/similar components is required for this engine ? I went through the Owner's Manual but the regular service interval only talks about engine oil.
As the car is fitted with Turbo, I thought that similar to my Swift Diesel, EGR and Intercooler cleaning might be required here ?
The amount of soot generated in a petrol engine is far less as compared to a diesel, so you need not worry about choked EGR and intake manifolds.

Having said that, carbon buildup behind the intake valves is a common issue on TSIs (and many other direct injection petrols) as they approach the 70-80K km mark. No amount of external cleaning agents or Italian tuneup can get rid of this.

Eventually, the intake valves don't close properly leading to misfires on cold starts and a CEL as well in certain cases. The only solution is to remove the intake manifold itself and thoroughly clean the area using a good old wirebrush and kerosene.

Here's a video illustrating the same:

This is a known issue, so much so that Maruti Suzuki supplies an additive to Baleno Boosterjet owners which is to be poured in on every service to avoid this issue. I am not sure how effective this is though.
vishy76 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 13:24   #247
BHPian

We know Skoda cars are generally safer than many on the Indian road. But has this Indian version of Rapid ever been tested by any NCAP? Or if the Indian Rapid is same as being sold in any other country and that has been tested?
Old 3rd June 2021, 21:15   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Having said that, carbon buildup behind the intake valves is a common issue on TSIs (and many other direct injection petrols) as they approach the 70-80K km mark. No amount of external cleaning agents or Italian tuneup can get rid of this.

Here's a video illustrating the same:
https://m.Youtube.com/watch?v=sN-DYl_pZ6E
Thanks for the information. Looks like I can save some money after the service maintenance package is over. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
This is a known issue, so much so that Maruti Suzuki supplies an additive to Baleno Boosterjet owners which is to be poured in on every service to avoid this issue. I am not sure how effective this is though.
Is there any additive for TSI like this, if you are aware ?
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 21:21   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
We know Skoda cars are generally safer than many on the Indian road. But has this Indian version of Rapid ever been tested by any NCAP? Or if the Indian Rapid is same as being sold in any other country and that has been tested?
Yes. It's built on the PQ25 platform same as Polo(with 2 airbags)which scored 4 stars for adult and 3 for child safety. The chassis for Polo, Vento and Rapid are identically the same and built in same factory in Chakan, Pune.
Old 6th June 2021, 16:19   #250
Senior - BHPian

Went ahead and filled up XP95 fuel at an Indian Oil fuel pump near my place. The car has now become even more smoother especially the gear shifts. The shift shocks between 2-3 and 3-2 has reduced drastically and you can hardly notice the gear shift changes unless you are paying attention.

This is highly recommended for TSi owners. The owners manual itself says that the minimum octane requirement is 95 RON and if one fills 91 RON there will be inferior performance and lower FE. At a difference of Rs 3-4 per liter than normal petrol, this is a no-brainer for me to shift to 95 RON
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 14:01   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Driving the 1.0L TSI MT
About the audio notification at 80 kmph. I think it is to remind the driver that the set speed limit has been crossed. The speed limit can be set from the right stock with the two up and down buttons. It makes sense that it keeps beeping as the speed increased over the set limit.

My first post on the forum, I hope it's confirming to the reply standards
Jaganjrb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 18:31   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Gowardhan View Post

Was this car parked on the beach-side forever to rust like this? Did not expect to see this in a Honda. But I just crossed 2020 ,so, anything is possible.
Old 14th June 2021, 15:53   #253
BHPian

Hi all,

I hope everyone is doing well.
My Rapid Ambition 1.0 TSI is at 14,850km now & is inching near to its first service. I have a few questions regarding this:

1. I had purchased a Maintenance Package while purchasing the car in Nov 2020. But I do not have any receipt or invoice for the same as I was told it links to the chassis number directly. Will it pose any issue while getting it serviced? Also, what could be the expected price for the first service with a maintenance package, given I do not have any issues with the car apart from creaky noises from doors while going on undulating surfaces?

2. People from Hyderabad, any suggestions on which A.S.S. is a fairly better one if anyone has any good/bad experiences?

Thank you,
Neo
neo_narender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 16:32   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_narender View Post
Hi all,

I hope everyone is doing well.
My Rapid Ambition 1.0 TSI is at 14,850km now & is inching near to its first service. I have a few questions regarding this:

1. I had purchased a Maintenance Package while purchasing the car in Nov 2020. But I do not have any receipt or invoice for the same as I was told it links to the chassis number directly. Will it pose any issue while getting it serviced? Also, what could be the expected price for the first service with a maintenance package, given I do not have any issues with the car apart from creaky noises from doors while going on undulating surfaces?

2. People from Hyderabad, any suggestions on which A.S.S. is a fairly better one if anyone has any good/bad experiences?

Thank you,
Neo
No issues regarding maintenance package as they map the data with your vehicle chassis, you can inform the same to SA and he will check. mySkoda app used to show all the data regarding your vehicle but it’s not working now a days it seems.

Regarding the estimate if you go for necessary wheel alignment and balancing it will cost 1300-1500/- based on present rate. Rest other work will be covered in PM package. I got a bill of 2392/- for my second service which included wiper blade replacement, wheel alignment and balancing.
I would recommend to get wheel alignment and balancing done at some good tyre shop (i got mine done at Ashoka wheels) rather than service centre, if it’s okay during this time.

The Secunderabad service centre is good i visit the same for my vehicle service, you can contact Madhu there if in case visiting for your service.
any23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 01:55   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by any23 View Post
No issues regarding maintenance package as they map the data with your vehicle chassis, you can inform the same to SA and he will check.
Thank you so much for all the information.
And yes the wheel alignment needs to be checked as I have observed that my steering wheel when kept dead centre doesn’t reflect the same on road.
I will get it done at Ashoka wheels too, heard a lot of good things about that place.
Also I think I have contacted Madhu from Secunderabad service center before, will visit the same this weekend.

Also how much time do you think it’ll take for the first service? I had plans of staying there itself & watch the procedure done, but I don’t know how many manufacturers actually allow their customers to do the same. Maybe I’ll just wait in the customer lounge.

Thanks again,
Neo

Last edited by neo_narender : 15th June 2021 at 02:00.
neo_narender is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks