Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2020, 12:33   #76
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlifts26 View Post
Apparently it was due to keeping the vehicle on accessory mode for a while. Quite surprising since a vehicle of this size shouldn't consume the battery at an alarming rate. Called up the TATA Road Assist, they couldn't start the car by using an independent battery. Ultimately had to connect the battery terminals on my i10 to the Harrier to start it.
The battery incident was unsettling, how could a vehicle hardly run for 5000 kms drain the battery that easily on accessory mode ?
It is normal for the battery to drain in a car left on accessory mode without starting the engine. Even my Grandi10 warns me if I do this. Nothing to fix here. Just avoid using the music system/turning on the touch screen when the engine is off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
Those exposed sensor/wiring connections on the DEF tank is a poor design on a 20+ lakh INR SUV. TATA engineers should have done the routing of this in a better way.
I had a similar thought process when I saw this pic. Is the BS6 as extensively tested as the MT over different conditions? If it has been then surely the design is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
What you'll like:

• Topnotch safety kit includes 6 airbags, ESP, break reminder, hill hold, brake disc wiping & more
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
As of now Harrier is a 2 star GNCAP car. This is mostly because of the 2.0 Multujet engine which is intruding more into the passenger cell than expected. My sources tell me that with their petrol engine it will be a 4 star car.
Won't the fact that the engine protrudes into the compartment negate all these safety features?

Quote:
The 2nd bug we faced with the Harrier was, after parking it overnight, the driver's door request sensor didn't work in the morning. GTO had to use the smartkey's unlock button to open the door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
the 2 niggles mentioned in the review
Did this happen during the recent few days of insane rain that we had in Mumbai? My car faced the same issue for the first time ever but then once the weather became better the keyfob started working again. Could simply be some moisture in the request sensor area.
Quote:
If you've never partied with Manson, you have surely missed on a unique experience of life:
Where does one sign up for this?
Old 17th August 2020, 20:55   #77
BHPian

There was a discussion in the Team BHP Gravitas thread sometime back where one member suggested that the safety of Harrier is yet to be established as the engine protrudes much into the passenger cabin. He also contented that Tata is working on that and that is why it has not yet sent Harrier for GNCAP while other models are already tested. He also mentioned that in the absence of a crash test, the current safety of the Harrier is 2*. Can anyone shed some light on this please?
Old 18th August 2020, 10:21   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsanthosh View Post
There was a discussion in the Team BHP Gravitas thread sometime back where one member suggested that the safety of Harrier is yet to be established as the engine protrudes much into the passenger cabin. He also contented that Tata is working on that and that is why it has not yet sent Harrier for GNCAP while other models are already tested. He also mentioned that in the absence of a crash test, the current safety of the Harrier is 2*. Can anyone shed some light on this please?
All of it is pure speculation. Without a test done, the rating can be anything from 0 to 5 stars. I do not think any car maker that has resources from JLR & experience of regularly making 4 and 5 star certified cars at disposal will design a car with stupid structural mistakes like making an engine placement dangerous to occupants. There's not much one can get wrong in this aspect since most items are dictated by basic mechanical design. We'll have to wait and watch till GNCAP testing happens for the Harrier/Gravitas.
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 10:29   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I do understand it is an affordability game, but my question is, is Harrier worth 200% as much as the Nexon?

Quote:
Prasanna, there is a saying "No one ever needs a car over 10 lakhs". Beyond that price point, it is all about want & desire, not need.
I happened to be enjoying the car-watching on the highway that I do when I am being driven (which is rare) in my Storme, with my dad besides me at the couch of a back seat that it has.

A dark edition black Harrier overtook us and kept moving ahead. My dad asked me if it was a tata and how much it costs. I told him it costs 24 lakhs and instead of the "24 lakhs for a tata car? That's too expensive" reaction, he just replied "it looks good".

Simultaneously I was thinking how classy, sophisticated it looked on the move and how the presence can never be replicated by a nexon or a creta or a seltos no matter what.

And then I remembered what GTO had written. Needs vs wants. I might want to contradict my earlier opinion. I definitely would "want" the harrier instead of the nexon if sparing 20+ lakhs wasn't an issue.

What a beautiful car, specially in that dark edition!! Great job Tata

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 18th August 2020 at 10:52.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 12:02   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
All of it is pure speculation. Without a test done, the rating can be anything from 0 to 5 stars. I do not think any car maker that has resources from JLR & experience of regularly making 4 and 5 star certified cars at disposal will design a car with stupid structural mistakes like making an engine placement dangerous to occupants. There's not much one can get wrong in this aspect since most items are dictated by basic mechanical design. We'll have to wait and watch till GNCAP testing happens for the Harrier/Gravitas.
That engine protruding too much into the cabin report has been via some credible sources of the forum and do create a bit of doubt but then I totally agree with you and then why it doesn't protrude in the compass? Tata is well versed with designing safe cars and I agree that it is mere speculation.
Also, I don't think that the Harrier/Gravitas will be getting tested by the GNCAP. We usually see the starting cars of the manufacturers getting tested for safety ratings and it is well understood that if the cheapest offering by the manufacturer has good safety rating, the higher cars in the price range will excel it.
May be in foreign countries where they have dedicated crash test rating facilities like Euro-NCAP and Australian-NCAP they can test the entire range of offerings but for the safer-cars-for-India program of GNCAP, they have been focusing on up to about 10-12 lac cars that are more common and Tata's offerings in this price range have regularly shown how it is done. I see no reason to doubt the Harrier's safety credentials when its siblings have regularly proved their mettle.
Candy$Cars is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 12:20   #81
BHPian

Superb review @ Aditya as always. I was desperately waiting for GTO's comment of 'not recommended to recommended' for Tata Harrier in his review. I have been closely following Harrier thread since beginning when it was first launched as a concept.
Now I can happily finalise my SUV
Venkatesh.H is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 06:31   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 2020 Harrier is here and this is the car that Tata should have launched originally. With automobiles, quality is more important than deadline.
I don't understand why TATA can't get this right, after being in the business of cars for over 2 decades. It feels like they have made more progress with their trucks than cars. Granted, the cash cow for automobiles are their trucks but that does not mean they keep repeating their mistakes over and over.

First, it was their Indica which went onto V2, then the Vista. I've lost count on the number of improvements or iterations they've done with the Sumo, Safari, Hexa platform. Then the Tiago, now the Altroz and Harrier. The latter 3 are marked improvements over anything TATA has ever made. The hatchbacks could have used a better petrol engine. The Harrier had a brilliant engine under its hood but marred by poor implementation. Some bits inside the car that was half baked in design and quality. How could you possibly get away with this! Is the bar so low for the engineers to put a green tick mark across all parameters.

TATA have got good design going off late. They need to set the bar higher when it comes to getting a car road ready. A half baked release is not something any car manufacturer can afford to do in a highly competitive market.
Old 19th August 2020, 08:07   #83
Senior - BHPian

How is it that the Harrier has potential intrusion problems because of the MJD engine design whereas the Compass , equipped with the same engine doesnt ? Is it to do with the engine bay layout ? Has the Compass been NCAP tested with the MJD ?
Old 20th August 2020, 21:29   #84

If Tata wants to have better sales they seriously need to have better people speaking to customers and better dealers who are willingly to sell cars
I left my number for a callback on the tata website and did get a call back in 10 min (Full marks on that). I explained to the guy on the call that I am looking to buy the Harrier and if he can help in arranging a test drive at my place from the nearest dealer. The first response was that he can't arrange a home test drive and I will have to go to the showroom. I still let it go, then I told him to leave my reference with two dealers so that I can see which one has the variant I want available and accordingly take it forward. Got a negative response for that as well saying that he can give my details only to one dealer.
Again let it go , and now it has been 3 days and I still haven't got a call back from any dealer.
If this is how Tata treats a potential customer , I don't even want to think what they will do to me once I become one.
abhi_krishna is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 12:19   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_krishna View Post
If Tata wants to have better sales they seriously need to have better people speaking to customers and better dealers who are willingly to sell cars
Why don't you call the dealer directly - that will be much faster than going through layers. And less frustrating as well.
Tata works like any other organization; there will be a lag between talking to the call center and they finally getting back to you via the dealer. Happens with other manufacturers as well!

Pls DM if you need the contact number!
ihrishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 15:20   #86
Senior - BHPian

Final clay model images of the H5X concept that lead to the Harrier. Shared by Pratap Bose on Instagram

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-smartselect_20200821151538_instagram.jpg

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-smartselect_20200821151548_instagram.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 17:05   #87
BHPian

One question -
I am considering Harrier dark edition XZA+. But I somehow do not like the all black alloys on this model. Will the dealer be willing to swap them for the alloys on other colored car?

I haven't started contacting dealers yet, want to wait for 2/3 months, but just wanted to get this one sore point out of my mind.
Garth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 14:38   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
Will the dealer be willing to swap them for the alloys on other colored car?
It all depends on the particular dealership actually. One might accept your request while the other one might not.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 19:44   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
One question -
I am considering Harrier dark edition XZA+. But I somehow do not like the all black alloys on this model. Will the dealer be willing to swap them for the alloys on other colored car?

I haven't started contacting dealers yet, want to wait for 2/3 months, but just wanted to get this one sore point out of my mind.
You can alternatively post in olx/classifieds, I am sure many owners with red harrier would want the black alloys. You can swap with them.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 21:13   #90

Hello. Has anyone heard about petrol Harrier launching soon? I read a few article that said Harrier Petrol could be launching along side Gravitas around Diwali. I have very limited run and diesel Harrier would not fit my requirement. Other alternate I was considering was Creta 1.4Turbo DCT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks