Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2020, 10:39   #121
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
Hi Ram, just following up to check if you’ve heard anything more from your source about points (3), (4) and on any upcoming offers. I am looking to finalize my Harrier buy but waiting to see if the connected platform comes to the old cars, for any new model and for any good company discounts.
I am getting 65k discount on XZA, on ex showroom price, in Pune. If I take insurance from them, additional 35k discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
On (1), broken electronic seat adjustment lever - my TD car in Mumbai had the same issue. Seems like a QC problem.

Did you feel the rear view was compromised especially for city driving / narrow lanes. My TD was at 9 in the night with heavy rain so I couldn't judge for myself.
Now that you asked, I realized that I hardly ever looked at the IRVM while driving, although I had adjusted it while starting. My primary mirrors are the outer ones. They have a very good view in Harrier.

About the seat lever, Tata seam to have ignored the possibility that most people are used to manual levers, so they may pull those with full strength initially. So the switches should have been more sturdy.

Friends, I need help:

I am trying to go vegan and I want to avoid use of real leather. But Harrier XZA has leather seat upholstery. Can Tata Motors provide artificial leather upholstery on request? If yes, how should I approach them? My salesman said it's not possible.

Last edited by pseudo_coder : 4th September 2020 at 10:57.
pseudo_coder is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 11:03   #122
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors has launched the new XT+ variant of Harrier, at an introductory price of ₹16.99 Lakhs (ex-showroom Delhi).

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-smartselect_20200904110309_chrome.jpg

The new variant comes equipped with a host of features like Dual Function LED DRLs, R17 alloy wheels, Floating Island 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system with 8 Speakers.

The XT+ variant will have dual front airbags, an advanced ESP with 12 add on functionalities, fog lamps and reverse parking camera as standard features.

Quote:
Vivek Srivatsa, Head Marketing, Passenger Vehicle Business Unit, Tata Motors said, “In line with our New Forever philosophy of continuously updating our product range with new products and features, we are delighted to introduce the latest variant of our flagship SUV – Harrier XT+. Since its launch, the Harrier has been loved by customers & the industry experts with its stunning design and exhilarating performance. We are confident that the introduction of the XT+ variant will further strengthen the appeal of the Tata Harrier by giving customers an option to experience a premium feature like the Panoramic Sunroof at an extremely attractive price."
https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...195946065.html

Last edited by Venkatesh : 4th September 2020 at 11:05.
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 11:16   #123
BHPian

BHPians,

I had shared my Team BHP post among few friends in Tata Owners groups (I am a member of Zest, Tiago and Harrier owners group) and it got circulated widely among various WhatsApp groups. The thread had reached the Tata Motor's senior management and I got calls from all the dealers from where I had checked about the car. They were apologetic about the whole episode. I had a conversation with Mr. Suraj Subbarao, Zonal Manager (South), Tata Motors. He had reached out to me after reading my thread. We were in touch earlier for few matters relating to my Zest and Tiago. This person has always been a very customer focussed guy and whenever I had an issue in the past, he took efforts to see that the same was resolved. He was glad that I shared a honest feedback and said will be taking some concrete steps to improve the customer experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghulsudheesh View Post
Hi BHPians,

I took delivery of my Tata Harrier XZA+ on last Thursday. My father wanted an SUV with panoramic sunroof and automatic gearbox. He was initially inclined towards the Jeep Compass but me being a hardcore Tata fan, pushed him towards the Harrier. Though he was reluctant at first, after the test drive, he was thoroughly impressed. So there was not much confusion on the selection of the car and we decided to go for the XZA+ model. The vehicle came in less than ten days but we needed time to take delivery as my housewarming was around the same time. Finally took the delivery on last Thursday. Many BHPians has observed that this is over-priced but I feel this is totally a value for money product.

This is my third Tata car at home. We had a Zest earlier and we are using a Tiago now. So I am used to the service experience at Tata service centres/ showrooms and have been generally fine with them barring few experiences.

Except a day's delay in kickstarting the temporary registration, there wasn't any issue as such. But the sales team was disappointing to be honest. Not just from the dealership I purchased the car but also with other dealerships from which I enquired about the pricing and other details. We have to call them up and follow up with them about the details we have asked for. It is almost like that they are doing a favour for us. Whenever I have enquired at a Maruti or a Hyundai or any other dealership, they quickly follow up with us. I have heard that staffs are even taught how to speak to customers at MSIL dealerships. No wonder they are selling so much cars. I recently read a thread (How hard is it to buy a Tata Tiago?)in Team BHP itself about how hard it is to buy a Tata Tiago. This is so true!

Tata Motors has been doing very well in the recent times and they have come out with some great products. But if they want to really improve their sales, the customer experience has to be improved for sure. I remember when Hexa was launched, there were select executives to deal with Hexa customers alone and their best executives were given the task. This time when I took the test drive for Harrier, a sales executive opened the sunroof completely and told my father, this is where we should stand and put our heads out. I was shocked about what the executive was telling and gave him an earful on the purpose of sunroof! They have an amazing product and an executive who has no idea about what he is selling. I sincerely hope that they do something about this.

Attachment 2049223

The delivery of Zest, Tiago and Harrier in one picture!

Attachment 2049232
raghulsudheesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 11:34   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BHPians,

I had shared my Team BHP post among few friends in Tata Owners groups (I am a member of Zest, Tiago and Harrier owners group) and it got circulated widely among various WhatsApp groups. The thread had reached the Tata Motor's senior management and I got calls from all the dealers from where I had checked about the car. They were apologetic about the whole episode. I had a conversation with Mr. Suraj Subbarao, Zonal Manager (South), Tata Motors. He had reached out to me after reading my thread. We were in touch earlier for few matters relating to my Zest and Tiago. This person has always been a very customer focussed guy and whenever I had an issue in the past, he took efforts to see that the same was resolved. He was glad that I shared a honest feedback and said will be taking some concrete steps to improve the customer experience.
Congratulations on your Harrier. I had test driven the manual and was waiting for the Harrier automatic to launch so that I could upgrade but with the Covid situation, I am on the fence for now. I had a great experience thanks to the sales advisor George, from Malayalam Motors who went out of his way to arrange for test drives of the Hexa and Harrier.

But it looks as though the sales experience is far from consistent and it is unfortunate to see that the weak link in this part of the country is still the Tata sales channel. TBHPian ps_abhijith had a not very happy sales experience in Cochin as well, which he documented (How hard is it to buy a Tata Tiago?) on this thread. Again, once it reached the forum and started getting widely spread, the higher ups woke up and tried to rectify the situation at different levels. Tata finally has great products in its lineup but they showroom and pre sales experience is holding them back from achieving their deserved success.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 11:57   #125
BHPian

Isn't it so ironic that a company having a great product is not able to sell it due to their sales team and their approach. Whereas other companies with average and lackluster products are drawing circles around them in sales numbers.

This has been going on for so long that its not funny any more.
Garth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 13:48   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BHPians,

I had shared my Team BHP post among few friends in Tata Owners groups (I am a member of Zest, Tiago and Harrier owners group) and it got circulated widely among various WhatsApp groups. The thread had reached the Tata Motor's senior management and I got calls from all the dealers from where I had checked about the car. They were apologetic about the whole episode. I had a conversation with Mr. Suraj Subbarao, Zonal Manager (South), Tata Motors. He had reached out to me after reading my thread
It is appreciated that the higherups took note of your post and got in touch with you. But Tata has to be proactive than reactive. Stories like yours are so common from Tata dealerships from all parts of the country! These stories are coming since such a long time now. That much time is definitely sufficient to fix the issue through training or whatever. Wonder what steps Tata is taking to ensure such an incident doesnt happen in first place, rather than being reactive.
AkMar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 16:42   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
It is appreciated that the higherups took note of your post and got in touch with you. But Tata has to be proactive than reactive. Stories like yours are so common from Tata dealerships from all parts of the country! These stories are coming since such a long time now. That much time is definitely sufficient to fix the issue through training or whatever. Wonder what steps Tata is taking to ensure such an incident doesnt happen in first place, rather than being reactive.
TATA will be reactive in my humble opinion, atleast for next 1-2 years. Here is my ordeal with them for basically to buy a Tiago and then to try and upgrade to a Nexon, which is still ongoing(it's been 4 years) https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ontinuing.html

In my journey I do see exceptional staff/employees who I believe have been bringing positives to the process( Buying ), as I have still to experience their after sales (Service ) process. Hopefull I could bring a vehicle home in next month or so and fingers crossed it's the positive that shine through.

One thing I can comment and look forward to is the whole of Concorde weight that has shelved off, that is such a positive relief. I do not wish any ill but the name Concorde motors just brings bad memories only.
Ps_o is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 20:47   #128
BHPian

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_20200830_132641-1.jpg

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-harrier_resized.jpg

A couple of more pics from last week's drive. Can't get enough of this!

Last edited by ampere : 7th September 2020 at 10:59. Reason: fixed aspect ratio for the second image
ihrishi is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 21:30   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Friends, I need help:

I am trying to go vegan and I want to avoid use of real leather. But Harrier XZA has leather seat upholstery. Can Tata Motors provide artificial leather upholstery on request? If yes, how should I approach them? My salesman said it's not possible.
Though this is slightly off topic and can start an unnecessary debate, nonetheless I'm giving my views.

You have following options realistically :

1. Chose a lower variant
2. Ask the dealership to remove the leather and put in fabric or vegan leather covers

Both of these options are bad. You'll never get factory fit and finish.

What I'd do instead is buy the XZA as-is, and donate some amount as per my capacity to your LOCAL People for Animals unit (NOT PETA). You can even visit their shelter to see first hand. This will go a long way towards saving a still alive animal. Of course it doesn't negate the death of a cow / bull for aesthetics. But still its better than doing nothing. I'd also request that you tag manufacturers on social media and ask them to consider giving vegan leather options. It'll probably not happen in India for a long long time. But there's no harm in trying.

Best of luck with your purchase, and everything else!

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 4th September 2020 at 21:32.
digitalnirvana is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 22:01   #130
BHPian

Quote:
XZA comes with Seat Side Airbags. I don't think removing/replacing seat covers would be a straightforward task.
Route66 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 22:04   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well , let me solve this dilemma for you!
Tata Harrier uses Benecke-Kaliko Leather, which is not real leather, but artificial PU/PVC leather. Most global premium brands have shifted to art leather now and very few are using Animal leather. Ideally they should be using the term Art leather or leatherite in their marketing, but they are still using leather, which is technically not true.

Here is a tweet by Tata Motors mentioning that it is from Benecke-Kaliko
https://twitter.com/tatamotors/statu...991046?lang=en

You can read about Benecke-Kaliko here - they only make Art leather (PU leather)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benecke-Kaliko

Still I really appreciate your good intentions and would request you to donate to any NGO for animals as it is for a noble cause!

Last edited by Behemoth : 4th September 2020 at 22:09.
Behemoth is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 00:34   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Benecke-Kaliko produces leather-like upholstery using synthetic materials, so rest assured the seat covers in Harrier XZ and above are not real leather. Most of the cars in these segments come with leatherette seat covers.
AmitRavi07 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 01:26   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
You have following options realistically :

1. Chose a lower variant
2. Ask the dealership to remove the leather and put in fabric or vegan leather covers

Both of these options are bad. You'll never get factory fit and finish.

What I'd do instead is buy the XZA as-is, and donate some amount as per my capacity to your LOCAL People for Animals unit (NOT PETA).
Yes, as you said, both options are not good. I would have gone for a lower variant, but 6 airbags was a major criteria for me.

Thanks for the suggestion to donate. Will consider after my finances are back in shape, (after spending a fortune on this beast).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route66 View Post
XZA comes with Seat Side Airbags. I don't think removing/replacing seat covers would be a straightforward task.
Yes. I actually got a call from the company, and was surprised that they gave this option. Since it wouldn't serve the purpose of reducing leather production anyway, I didn't ask them whether the airbags will be damaged by this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Well , let me solve this dilemma for you!
Tata Harrier uses Benecke-Kaliko Leather, which is not real leather, but artificial PU/PVC leather. Most global premium brands have shifted to art leather now and very few are using Animal leather. Ideally they should be using the term Art leather or leatherite in their marketing, but they are still using leather, which is technically not true.

Here is a tweet by Tata Motors mentioning that it is from Benecke-Kaliko
https://twitter.com/tatamotors/statu...991046?lang=en

You can read about Benecke-Kaliko here - they only make Art leather (PU leather)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benecke-Kaliko

Still I really appreciate your good intentions and would request you to donate to any NGO for animals as it is for a noble cause!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitRavi07 View Post
Benecke-Kaliko produces leather-like upholstery using synthetic materials, so rest assured the seat covers in Harrier XZ and above are not real leather. Most of the cars in these segments come with leatherette seat covers.
Wow, can't thank you guys enough! The tweet below that makes it clear:
"upholstery that's made up of Premium Benecke Kaliko Oak brown leatherette"

This is the power of team-bhp, where people have more knowledge than the employees of the car maker.

Although my decision was done, I would be more at peace now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now countdown for the delivery starts. But I have already run in to an issue.

I had booked Nexon EV last month, and made full payment, most of it by credit card. Although my card company had cleared it, the vendor at the dealer's side that I had never heard of - BijliPay - didn't release it. They sent an email to the dealer asking for my PAN card and invoice of the car. Then I cancelled the booking. So dealer asked them to roll back the transaction. Till now nothing is done. Both the dealer and BijliPay are slow as a snail. Neither is the money credited to the dealer, nor refunded to my card.

Today I myself took the charge, found the customer care number of BijliPay, and had a 20 minute call. True to the reputation of call centers, all she could say was "sorry, we will process it soon. You will get it in 10-15 days".

WTH! two weeks to process an electronic transaction? Looks like this sole glitch will delay the delivery of by dark beauty.
pseudo_coder is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 18:43   #134
BHPian

About 3 years ago Jaguar in UK had started offering an option of Fabric upholstery in lieu of leather. The fabric was developed by some Swedish or Dutch company with a bit of recycled plastic and was supposed to be very soft and durable. Initially its prices were kept higher than the leather upholstery and later many other manufacturers started offering similar options.

Fabric options are much better than synthetic leather and I am sure if customers start demanding it, Tata motors will be pleased to offer that.

By the way 14 yes Fourteen adult bulls are slaughtered just to drape one Rolls Royce in leather. Just think of the massive amount of food and water consumed for rearing those 14 bulls and the violence, gore and pollution etc associated with slaughtering.

Last edited by ajmat : 6th September 2020 at 21:59.
akj53 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 00:29   #135
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
By the way 14 yes Fourteen adult bulls are slaughtered just to drape one Rolls Royce in leather. Just think of the massive amount of food and water consumed for rearing those 14 bulls and the violence, gore and pollution etc associated with slaughtering.

I’m from the leather industry and it pains to see such thoughts. Please note that Leather is a by-product of meat industry and not the other way around. No animal is killed for the hide/skin (that too to make seats) but they are slaughtered only for the meat

Secondly, if the raw hides are left untanned, the pollution is much higher. Plus the modern tanning processes followed have Zero Liquid discharge, where the water is recycled.
MAS is offline   (30) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks