Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2021, 13:44   #871
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

As a Tata Safari Storme owner for the past 6 years, I am quite happy with the way Tata service has grown.

Even though I had my share of issues with the dealer, Concorde Motors then, the car's front windshield was cracked in the service period. I dealt firmly with them. Whenever required, please escalate to Tata Motors management, there will be some response.

Last edited by GTO : 20th April 2021 at 07:47. Reason: Poorly Typed Posts
Kams_cars is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 19th April 2021, 15:17   #872
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
VAG group having expensive maintenance is a myth.

What surprises me is that hector diesel also has the same engine, but the fuel filter costs less than half as much as the harrier's and Compass'.
There is Km based cost and then there is yearly, regardless of Kms. VAG will end up being more expensive regardless.

If you look at the full report, you will see that the prices quoted for VAG are only for 4 services, others have 6, yet VAG is expensive. As per official website calculators as well they are a lot more expensive than others.

Take a look at harrier`s case in the same report - same as VAG, 4 services and it costs twice as much as Hector at 6 services. Even if you think Autocar is wrong, take a look at Zig wheels - Same engine but what the hell is going on?

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-harrier-service.jpg

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-hector-service.jpg

You can clearly see who has done their homework. These costs only escalate as the vehicle ages.
Kosfactor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 16:04   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Take a look at harrier`s case in the same report - same as VAG, 4 services and it costs twice as much as Hector at 6 services. Even if you think Autocar is wrong, take a look at Zig wheels - Same engine but what the hell is going on?
I would request Harrier owners to respond on their experience on cost of maintenance for all the services they have had till date.

Couple of other sites I saw show conflicting and wide ranging maintenance costs.

https://www.cardekho.com/tata/harrier/service-cost
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-cardekho.jpg

This website has more detailed information for each service.
https://www.mycarhelpline.com/index....=853&Itemid=91
ssm2021 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 16:44   #874
BHPian

Thanks Kosfactor.
I too had checked this and I'm wondering if this is true. As per this, per year cost of maintenance is:
Harrier - 26k
Hector - 6k
What in the world is this! I still cant digest this. Is there something which we are missing?
Old 19th April 2021, 20:28   #875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanF1driver View Post
I too had checked this and I'm wondering if this is true. As per this, per year cost of maintenance is:
Harrier - 26k
Hector - 6k
Quote:
There is Km based cost and then there is yearly, regardless of Kms. VAG will end up being more expensive regardless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm2021 View Post
I would request Harrier owners to respond on their experience on cost of maintenance for all the services they have had till date.
As per my experience, this is the most realistic service charge -

I am not aware of hector service charges per se, but, they seem to be lesser than Harrier.
More details here - https://www.mycarhelpline.com/index....=853&Itemid=91

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-harrier_service.png

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd April 2021 at 04:19. Reason: Added details. EDIT: Quote trimmed, picture inserted in-line.
AmitRavi07 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 21:10   #876
BHPian

2 minutes silence to those guys who gulped the figures churned out by the drama queen-AUTOCAR INDIA. Coincidentally it was published during the 2020 locked down period IIRC and they were short of funds with industry performance taking a deep dive down.

We should have considered the fact that Tata Harrier, MG Hector and Jeep Compass were sharing the same FCA sourced 2.0L diesel engine. Only difference it would make will be the "other misc." maintenance costs like brake pads, air filters, cabin filters and the labour packages. I don't know whether Autocar considered the BS4/BS6 Hector. Another factor that might work in favour for MG is the Chinese sourced cheaper replacement spare parts, it was already shared in the forum. Also note that the 5 year maintenance package offered by MG for BS4 diesel at 80K is much pricier than what Autocar India had quoted.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-screenshot_20191213170655__01.jpg

Whatever! I really liked the marketing and sales enthusiasm shown by the Chinese companies. I would rate MG salesmen as the best available in the country and they are proving it every month and even makes other manufacturers much more competent too.

Meanwhile HARRIER/SAFARI production crossed 45,000 units.

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 19th April 2021 at 21:35.
TorqueIndia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 22:59   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanF1driver View Post
What is 'NA' they have mentioned in the chart. Is it is 'Not Applicable' or 'Not Available'. If it is 'Not Available', how they have arrived at the mentioned cost?
How reliable are those total service cost figures without knowing all the parts and service costs?
Old 19th April 2021, 23:20   #878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreejith V View Post
What is 'NA' they have mentioned in the chart. Is it is 'Not Applicable' or 'Not Available'. If it is 'Not Available', how they have arrived at the mentioned cost?
How reliable are those total service cost figures without knowing all the parts and service costs?
This comparison study is based on Kms (60K limit and then cost per km) so if a OEM keeps the service schedule as 15K kms / 12 months then after 4 services it shows NA, the other OEMs keep the service schedule as 10K Kms or 12 months which means if you use the car less than 10000 kms a year , you end up paying a lot less.

The 10K service interval is common as it is considered as the average kms covered by private cars per annum in India.

How reliable is that data? Well Autocar has clarified that it got the data from Tata itself.

I suggest you read the report fully, all 9 parts of it, very informative.
Old 20th April 2021, 09:56   #879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Another factor that might work in favour for MG is the Chinese sourced cheaper replacement spare parts, it was already shared in the forum.
I think this works against MG, all the sourced parts are extremely expensive, atleast as this thread points out.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...6-5-lakhs.html (My MG Gloster gets rear-ended | Repair quote of 6.5 lakhs!)

So, the premise that Chinese sourced parts may be cheaper may not be tenable.

Thanks
Raghuveer
Old 20th April 2021, 10:30   #880
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How reliable is that data? Well Autocar has clarified that it got the data from Tata itself.

I suggest you read the report fully, all 9 parts of it, very informative.
I would take it with a pinch of salt. For sure, their numbers are off. I don't have a Harrier and can't comment about it. But for a Seltos D, their quoted spare prices are higher by 10-20%.

Here's the 20k service bill for my car
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-pxl_20201203_1422287432.jpg

And here's their report
Autocar mid-sized SUV comparison
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 11:25   #881
BHPian

Anyone who has a Harrier or any Tata vehicle for that matter, can look at the complete service costs for all periodic services including a break up between parts and labour on the Tata Motors Service Connect app. All you need to do is select your city, the ODO reading and I think that's about it.

This should clear everything up. I request a Harrier owner (There are quite a few now) on the forum to post screenshots here!
DeKay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 11:30   #882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm2021 View Post
I completed 6500 km in 6 months with my XZA+ (till date no major issue with my car and service centre). Regarding maintenance cost, the first free service (after 2 months or 2000 km) and the second free service (after 6 months or 7500 km) are over for me. During these services, I had not paid any amount for maintenance cost (paid ~700 Rs for DEF refilling). The major service (after 1 year or 15000 km) which have engine oil change may cost around 8-9k as shared by @AmitRavi07 [https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5046806 (2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review)].

Last edited by KSingh : 20th April 2021 at 11:32.
KSingh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 13:35   #883
BHPian

Hello everyone.

It's been a while since the running-in period of the car is complete. Odometer is at 3100 km presently.

I recently discovered that the first engine oil change for Harrier is at 15000 km. But as per my past experience, shouldn't the first engine oil change be after the running-in period, after about 2500 km?

When I had bought my Ford Aspire Diesel in 2018, the first service was after 2500 km, and engine oil was changed.

Kindly share your thoughts on this one. Also, has anyone got the first engine oil changed before 15000 km, after the running-in period?

Thanks.
Big Smoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 00:49   #884

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSingh View Post
I completed 6500 km in 6 months with my XZA+ (till date no major issue with my car and service centre). Regarding maintenance cost, the first free service (after 2 months or 2000 km) and the second free service (after 6 months or 7500 km) are over for me. During these services, I had not paid any amount for maintenance cost (paid ~700 Rs for DEF refilling).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
I recently discovered that the first engine oil change for Harrier is at 15000 km. But as per my past experience, shouldn't the first engine oil change be after the running-in period, after about 2500 km?
I did my 1 year/15000 kms sevice (8200 ODO) last month. I paid 11200. It included oil change and a few other things. As per the service manager, cost of BS6 engine oil is higher than BS4. For BS4, 1 year service costs around 8300 or so.

Tata mandates engine oil change at 1 year or 15000 kms.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd April 2021 at 04:20. Reason: Posts merged, trimmed.
anasmundackal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 18:51   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anasmundackal View Post
I did my 1 year/15000 kms sevice (8200 ODO) last month. I paid 11200. It included oil change and a few other things. As per the service manager, cost of BS6 engine oil is higher than BS4. For BS4, 1 year service costs around 8300 or so.
Should have been a bit less, per my understanding. The oil itself costs less than BS4 (0w20 for BS6 vs 5w30 for BS4). Even if you include wheel balancing and alignment, the cost should not have exceeded 9k. Can you check your bill and see if there are charges that cannot be explained properly?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks