Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2021, 23:49   #991

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

I have a March 2020 BS6 Tata Harrier XZA+. Due to the nationwide lockdown imposed, I got the car’s delivery in June 2020. A few days after delivery, we faced braking issues. From that day till today, the issues have not been solved.

The issues being faced are squeaking noise, screeching and vibrations. During the last service, that is on 19th May 2021, the car's brake pads and discs were changed, but the squeaking sound has not gone. The workshop guys said that this noise is common in the Tata Harrier and I could take a test in another car. But my response was that that they should give me the same in written on their letterhead, which they were not ready to do.

I said I have cars from other brands. Drive those cars and let me know if such a squeaking noise is heard. Then they said I should not compare Tata with other brands. I told them to admit that Tata cars were having problems and then I would speak to Tata Motors.

The car is with me at my home and I have not paid the dealership for the replacement of the brake pads and discs as I had a heated argument with the entire workshop team. They have assured me that people from the Tata Motors plant will contact me. I have told them that the payment will be made to the dealership only when this noises have gone.

I am attaching a few video links. Please watch them and let know what can be done. This videos have been taken in the last few months when this problem became chronic. When I apply the brakes, there is a noise and nearby people look at my car. Many of them laugh and it feels like I am driving a truck.

Dealership visited: Heritage Motors, Wagle Estate, Thane, Maharashtra.

Video-1

Video-2

Video-3

Video-4

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd May 2021 at 20:00. Reason: Grammar, sentence formation
desi_wananchi is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 22nd May 2021, 10:03   #992
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi_wananchi View Post
I Have a March 2020 BS6 Tata Harrier XZA+. Due to nation wide lockdown imposed got the car delivery in June 2020. After the delivery few days after we faced braking issue from that day till today the brakes issue have not been solved. Issue being faced is Brakes squeaking noise and screeching vibrations. .
It is quite possible that the pads are vibrating under pressure during braking. As a child, I remember our VW's used to do this and our our German mechanic who used to service our cars at home used to apply copper grease ver lightly on the back of the brake pads.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 10:40   #993
BHPian

Common causes of brake squeal:

1) contamination or glazing of the brake pads, or rotor. Contaminants (such as oil from our fingers when you accidentally touch the pads or rotor) cause the pads to lose grip on the rotor, which can cause vibrations leading to squealing.

2) The squeaking noises when braking at low speed is caused by high-frequency vibration of the pads against the rotating disc. When the caliper clamps against the rotating disc, it generates friction which leads to vibration. So, the squeaking noise will increase if the brake pads are mounted more tightly in the caliper.

The solution is to disassemble the brake pads, the rotor, clean and sand the rotor if needed, apply copper grease to the brake pads and reassemble the whole thing, torquing to the manufacturer limits.
AirbusCapt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 12:11   #994
BHPian

Does this squealing occur only when cold? Then please don't worry. After running 2 or 3 Kms running it should disappear. This happens when cars are not used or used once in a while. Surface rust/ cold surfaces cause squealing initially. ( Weather can also play a part).

Don't take to service center if the above is true. It is natural and expected. Last thing anyone wants is service center to misdiagnose a crucial item like brakes and refit/replace parts. Factory fit is factory fit especially in new car.
Nanolover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 14:47   #995
Distinguished - BHPian

Just in case it helps someone:

A 2020 Harrier ZXA+ on sale in Pune, listed on our classifieds.

https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy.../Harrier.html/
condor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 06:04   #996
MaG
BHPian

Got my Harrier XZA yesterday. Pre Delivery inspection was spot on. No visual discrepancies in the vehicle in terms of make. Showroom experience was flawless and thoroughly professional. Their CRE & CRM even rang me up post delivery in next 30 mins to ask if I've reached home safely and again assured me that they're just a call away in case of any query I may have w.r.t usage of features as well. My few firsts about the car:

1) Android Auto disconnecting frequently. Currently installed version is the Q5_R16.09. Does it need an update?

2) Tailgate is way too heavy. One needs to slam it for it to be shut properly. Definitely needs to be an electric one. As physiologically, it is very difficult to slam the gate every time.

3) Doors have an excellent thud, however even those need to be slammed for a proper shut. Is it the case with everybody or this is to do with the door setting?

4) Car handles magnificently. Gives great sense of confidence on the road. That said, I felt few bumps inside the cabin and this was not the case with the TD vehicle I drove at-least 5 times. Apparently, the showroom guys have over inflated the tyres. Need to check tyre pressure today. On this note, a TPMS is a miss from TATA folks. Should have been there for a >22 lakh vehicle.

5) Thanks to rains in Pune yesterday, I could check on the vehicles behaviour on wet roads (no wet road mode used). And, as expected, the Harrier is brilliant. The automatic headlamp and wiper makes a driver's task easy to just focus on the wheel. However, the rear wiper has to be used manually. I was wondering if even that could have been an automatic rain sensing one.

Nonetheless, overall more than just satisfied with the Harrier. Happy with my purchase experience till now.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_20210529_170250_895.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 30th May 2021 at 07:34. Reason: viper = wiper.
MaG is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 08:22   #997
BHPian

Congratulations MaG. I too have a XZA which I got in March. I am sure you will enjoy the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaG View Post
1) Android Auto disconnecting frequently. Currently installed version is the Q5_R16.09. Does it need an update?
That's the latest one. Sometimes the screensaver feature in the phone creates issues with Android Auto. You can check if disabling it helps. BTW which phone model you are using?

Quote:
2) Tailgate is way too heavy. One needs to slam it for it to be shut properly. Definitely needs to be an electric one...

3) Doors have an excellent thud, however even those need to be slammed for a proper shut. Is it the case with everybody or this is to do with the door setting?
Mostly it will be due to the air pressure in the cabin. I felt the same in the initial days. See if rolling down a window makes it better. However, I recall one of the owner did receive a car with misaligned door and got it corrected at the service center.

Quote:
4) ..... Apparently, the showroom guys have over inflated the tyres. Need to check tyre pressure today. On this note, a TPMS is a miss from TATA folks. Should have been there for a >22 lakh vehicle.
Definitely a big miss, when the Safari has it. Don't agree with the omission of of a safety feature for the sake of product differentiation. However you can get it installed aftermarket. Sensairy TPMS is a good option. Additionally, if the vehicle is not fully loaded you can keep the tyre pressure at 32 PSI. It makes the ride very comfortable.
AG-D is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 15:45   #998
MaG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG-D View Post
Congratulations MaG. I too have a XZA which I got in March. I am sure you will enjoy the ride.
I did doubt the Screensaver of the phone. I use the Samsung S10. I'll try using Android Auto after disabling the Screensaver. Hopefully, that solves my problem.

Product differentiation with a TPMS doesn't make sense. It definitely has to be a miss. Does the aftermarket one's do an equivalent job?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th May 2021 at 20:38. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please avoid quoting a large post as it inconveniences small screen users. Thanks!
MaG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 17:35   #999
BHPian

Quote:
Does the aftermarket one's do an equivalent job?
The readings seems fairly accurate. They are popular too. Only downside they don't have a HUD in stock and we need to use the phone app. They also have a android auto compatible app which needs to sideloaded.
AG-D is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 14:49   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
Got my Harrier XZA yesterday. Pre Delivery inspection was spot on. No visual discrepancies in the vehicle in terms of make. Showroom experience was flawless and thoroughly professional. Their CRE & CRM even rang me up post delivery in next 30 mins to ask if I've reached home safely and again assured me that they're just a call away in case of any query I may have w.r.t usage of features as well.
Congratulations MaG! Thats good to hear. Which dealership did you get it from in Pune?

Quote:
2) Tailgate is way too heavy. One needs to slam it for it to be shut properly. Definitely needs to be an electric one. As physiologically, it is very difficult to slam the gate every time.

Yes, I felt this too. It does need a harder slam to close properly.

Quote:
4) Car handles magnificently. Gives great sense of confidence on the road. That said, I felt few bumps inside the cabin and this was not the case with the TD vehicle I drove at-least 5 times. Apparently, the showroom guys have over inflated the tyres. Need to check tyre pressure today. On this note, a TPMS is a miss from TATA folks. Should have been there for a >22 lakh vehicle.
THe tyre pressure wasn't even foe me as well. Got it checked and it was better.
Quote:
Nonetheless, overall more than just satisfied with the Harrier. Happy with my purchase experience till now.

Cheers!
Glad to hear! Congratulations again and happy mile munching.
Old 1st June 2021, 20:22   #1001
BHPian

Quote:
Got my Harrier XZA yesterday.

s!
Congrats for bringing home the beast.
I own a 2020 dec AT model. Once things return to normal get door setting checked. It may help with opening and closing. The damping they have done esp. In 2020 and forward versions sometimes causes vaccuum and thereby need to push door stronger to close

I do feel an electric tail gate would have been much more plush. Hope you enjoy your time with it. Have clocked close to 10700kms now since dec 2020

Last edited by Sheel : 1st June 2021 at 20:52. Reason: Please QUOTE only the *relevant* bits of a post. Thanks.
naivedyanm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 00:27   #1002
BHPian

Congrats on the car! It really does look lovely in white.

Quote:

Try using Android Auto with a different cable. I was facing an issue of the HU freezing after 5-10 minutes of use in my Polo when it was new. Even the service centre wasn't able to diagnose it. Turns out the cable I was using was a cheap one and switching to an Amazon Basics cable did the trick. No issues for the last 3 years.
thechinmay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 05:56   #1003
BHPian

Hi All,
Anyone aware of Tata bringing connected car tech to Harrier? It seems Harrier is the only one left out in their products. Though for some it may be an add-on, I do feel the perimeter/geo-fencing is a pretty critical feature nowadays and very useful to secure your car.

Please share your thoughts if there is any news or information you've known about this.
Old 6th June 2021, 15:54   #1004
BHPian

Haven't been able to do much of driving due to the lockdown. Drove around near my house for a few kms yesterday. Could not resist sharing these pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-thumbnail_20210605_171030.jpg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-thumbnail_20210605_172318.jpg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-thumbnail_20210605_171114.jpg  

The Riddler is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 19:44   #1005
BHPian

My car had gone for service couple months ago where the engine bay was wiped only by the staff. Few days ago i looked under the hoot and got surprised to see Rust forming. My vehicle is not even 6 months old:
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-20210530_144407.jpg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-20210530_144417.jpg  

Last edited by adamkathy23 : 9th June 2021 at 19:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks