Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2023, 12:20   #1741
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
A quick question on DEF spillage. SC guys spilled DEF over my boot carpet, and its stained white now. What is the best or easiest way to clean?
Best to ask the SC to clean the mess they make.

On a related note, I purchased this funnel. It has helped reduce DEF spills when I refill. But the SC guys still spill due to their impatience / carelessness.

https://www.amazon.in/Funnel-Diesel-...dp/B08JZ64PXD/

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-61smljn0ol._sl1500_.jpg
subuiyer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 22:43   #1742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I've moved one step closer to my final decision on variant
I've decided on XZA+, ruled out the Dark editions (don't want 18" wheels and black exterior is going to be difficult to maintain).

What remains is to decide if the (O) option pack makes sense (+1.1 L for ADAS).
A bit late if you've already have your decision, but I have the ADAS version RedDark. It's nice to have and is mostly 'protective'. As in, help in reversing, blind spot detecting. For example, at a high speed if you want to overtake, give the turn indicator. If there's a car behind you already overtaking, it'll give a loud sound. Similarly the lights on ORVM will light up anytime somebody's overtaking you from either side. Just one example. Except for emergency braking (and it works nicely!), this ADAS is much less intrusive. I guess it's level 1. Many would consider it not useful, but at least on a few occasions it helped me. Hope this helped! If there's any doubts please feel free to ask.
loneagl09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 09:37   #1743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneagl09 View Post
A bit late if you've already have your decision, but I have the ADAS version RedDark. It's nice to have and is mostly 'protective'. As in, help in reversing, blind spot detecting. For example, at a high speed if you want to overtake, give the turn indicator. If there's a car behind you already overtaking, it'll give a loud sound. Similarly the lights on ORVM will light up anytime somebody's overtaking you from either side. Just one example. Except for emergency braking (and it works nicely!), this ADAS is much less intrusive. I guess it's level 1. Many would consider it not useful, but at least on a few occasions it helped me. Hope this helped! If there's any doubts please feel free to ask.
Do you feel the weird braking noise during emergency braking? I think Tata should have made it smoother, now it is a little nerve wracking, as if something has broken

And I agree, this level 1 ADAS is much more sufficient for Indian conditions and everything work as expected.
Old 2nd May 2023, 09:58   #1744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Do you feel the weird braking noise during emergency braking? I think Tata should have made it smoother, now it is a little nerve wracking, as if something has broken

And I agree, this level 1 ADAS is much more sufficient for Indian conditions and everything work as expected.
Yes to the weird braking. That plus the loud alarm is enough to panic me. But it does understand the situation and brakes only even necessary, do I am thankful for that.
loneagl09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 20:18   #1745
BHPian

Got the first service of my Harrier done today. Odo stands at 1033km after a month. Lots of long trips planned in the next few months. Following are my observations so far:

- Engine. Super strong. Having owned only naturally aspirated petrols so far, the torque of the turbo diesel is addictive. Engine pulls cleanly without much turbo lag.

- Fuel economy. Within the city, the lowest I've gotten is 10.3kpl and when the roads are empty, I have gotten as high as 14.8 kpl. Have done the Bangalore-Mysore journey twice and while cruising between 90-100 with cruise control on, I have gotten 18kpl. Overall, very satisfied with the economy for a car of this size with this much power.

- Ride and Handling. Suspension setup is slightly on the stiffer side. However compared to our previous Ecosport running on low profile tyres, this is a marked improvement. High speed stability is phenomenal. Car stays rock solid at highway speeds. One can munch through the miles effortlessly. Brakes are sharp and have decent bite too.

- Steering. A lot has been said of the Harrier's steering. Personally, I haven't felt the weight to be too high at parking speeds and it is quite easy to twirl. At highway speeds, it is a touch lighter than what I'd ideally like but nothing alarming enough to hamper your confidence.

- Infotainment. The new 10.25 inch touchscreen is a huge leap ahead over the old system. The UI is slick and the responses are fast. The cherry on the cake is the fantastic 360 degree camera. The quality is crystal clear and makes parking and manoeuvring in tight spaces much easier, which is a boon on a car this size.

- ADAS. The Harrier has level 1.5 (?) ADAS functionality. This is the perfect level for Indian roads in my opinion. It warns you about potential dangers but control of the car fully remains with you. I find the Blind spot detection and Lane departure warning particularly useful in our roads.

- Niggles. Have faced only 1 niggle so far (touchwood). Two days back, the passenger side seatbelt wouldn't buckle up. Got it checked at the service centre today and apparently there was a loose piece of plastic which had gotten into the buckle and was preventing the mechanism from working. They replaced the buckle free of cost under warranty.

- Service Experience. Got the car serviced at Kropex Koramangala. Called up 1 day in advance to book an appointment. SA Mr.Krishna was helpful and professional. Got the buckle replaced, software updated and DEF refilled. Total bill came up to INR 1050.

All in all, very happy with the vehicle so far. Looking forward to adding more miles to it. Leaving you with some pictures.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230503-20.13.40.jpg

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230503-20.13.48.jpg

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230503-20.13.49.jpg

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230503-20.13.4.jpg
rahulcmoulee is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 01:59   #1746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post

- Steering. A lot has been said of the Harrier's steering. Personally, I haven't felt the weight to be too high at parking speeds and it is quite easy to twirl. At highway speeds, it is a touch lighter than what I'd ideally like but nothing alarming enough to hamper your confidence.
Congratulations on your Ride! Wishing you a many happy and trouble free kilometres ahead. (Off topic : mods can we add a “touchwood” smiley in forum )

The perceived heaviness of the steering comes from what kind of a car were you driving earlier. Since it’s a Hydraulic steering the feedback is raw. You feel what the tyres feel. I was driving a Polo and a Scorpio when I went for Harrier and I never found the steering to be heavy at any point. If anything when I recently drove a friend’s ScorpioN I was missing my Harrier’s steering wheel.

The high speed lightness is true. It’s not as nerve wrecking as it’s made out to be but it gets some getting used to and once you are accustomed to it you can really appreciate Harrier’s highway driving mannerisms.
Infact this unfiltered feedback has helped mature my driving style on and off road.

Due to an unavoidable personal exigency I had to drive roughly 3000 kms in 3 days (to and fro) and I was able to do it comfortably. If anything it bolstered my confidence in Harrier.

Cheers!

Last edited by BleueNinja : 4th May 2023 at 02:00.
BleueNinja is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 09:39   #1747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

AEB braking is done by the ESP system and what you are hearing is the ESP motor running at full speed to generate the pressures needed for the emergency braking. This is absolutely normal and nothing to worry about.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 11:01   #1748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
Got the first service of my Harrier done today. Odo stands at 1033km after a month. Lots of long trips planned in the next few months. Following are my observations so far:
Isn't the first service to be done after 2000kms/2 Months? Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
AEB braking is done by the ESP system and what you are hearing is the ESP motor running at full speed to generate the pressures needed for the emergency braking. This is absolutely normal and nothing to worry about.
Thanks buddy! That's assuring, sometimes it feels as if something came loose and it feels scary. Especially the passengers in the car have asked couple of times about the noise
Old 4th May 2023, 11:19   #1749
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't the first service to be done after 2000kms/2 Months? Am I missing something?
It is 2000km/2month, But I have many road trips planned starting next week, so wanted to get the car checked up once beforehand to ensure complete peace of mind.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th May 2023 at 12:18. Reason: Quote tag fixed
rahulcmoulee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 12:36   #1750
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Mahesh Chandwani for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
I am writing to share my unfortunate experience with Tata Motors and the purchase of my Tata Harrier XZA+.

On 27/03/2023, I booked a Tata Harrier XZA+ and paid Rs. 21,000 by cheque as the booking amount. On 30/03/2023, I paid Rs. 5,00,000 by cheque and was promised that the car would be delivered on 14/04/2023. However, this promise was not fulfilled, and I was informed that my car would be delivered on 22/04/2023. So, I gave paid the remaining amount (Rs. 21,39,000) on 13/04/2023.

Despite several attempts to check the car before registration, the employees refused and insisted that there was no need as the car was safely kept and in proper condition. On 22/04/2023, when I went to take the delivery of the car, I was asked to wait for 30 to 45 minutes, and when I asked them where my car was, they said it was on its way. One of their employees then asked me to sign the delivery note before I could check the car, but I refused and insisted on seeing the car first.

Upon inspection, I noticed several issues with the car such as the bonnet not being properly aligned, a dent near the edge of the tail-light, uneven gaps around the tailgate, scratches on the body, poor colour finishing, etc. I refused to take the delivery and did not sign the delivery note. When I asked for a brand new car with no problems, the manager (Mr Naveen) refused and said that I had no other option as it was already registered.

Further, I was promised free 3M colour polishing and floor mats, but none of these promises were fulfilled. I am extremely disappointed with the whole experience and requested a brand new car with no issues and with all the promises fulfilled, or else a full refund of my money with interest at 2% per month.

It has been more than 12 days, but still, no solution has been provided by the dealership or Tata Motors. The dealership is forcing me to take delivery of the car. I even asked the dealership to provide me with the PDI report, but they have failed to do so.

I would appreciate it if you could advise me on how to proceed further and take this matter up with Tata Motors. Thank you for your time and consideration.

I am attaching images of the car.
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-1-1.jpeg

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-2-1.jpeg

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-3-1.jpeg

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-4-1.jpeg

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-5.jpeg

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-6.jpeg

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-7.jpeg

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-8.jpeg

Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 13:47   #1751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thanks to Mahesh Chandwani for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!
Can't do much now once the car is registered. First mistake is to make payment upfront to the dealer, without a PDI. At least, if the payment was made the OP should have made sure to let the dealer know that he would like to see the car and all these checks should have been made before the car was sent for registration, no matter what reasons they gave. I think the first red spot, was when dealer didn't allow to check the car. Even if the car is deregistered at the RTO, there is no way RTO will return the registration amount in my opinion.

I would suggest OP to accept the car, get all the issues rectified by the dealer and enjoy the car if it is mechanically sound with no niggles.

Last edited by fusionbang : 4th May 2023 at 13:50.
Old 4th May 2023, 17:26   #1752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

As a thumb rule, No PDI No Payment. If the dealer is being difficult about it then they can keep their beloved car with themselves for all I care.

The first red flag was when they promised OP a delivery date but didn’t deliver it on the date and then asked for remaining amount before even willing to let him see the car.

Therefore I have mentioned in one of my previous post to check the car thoroughly before making the payment because neither of our Desi Automotive Giants known for their QC.

Once bought It’s best to ignore these little issues and get it rectified by dealer as a goodwill gesture on their part and move on. As being fixated on them will merely dampen your experience with the car after the fact that car has been registered and bought home.
BleueNinja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 18:49   #1753

Hello,

I have got recently my Harrier #Dark (will post pictures later) . In the Society I stay there was one person who had purchased Safari #Dark some months ago. He told me that I need to keep the battery charged every 2 days by starting and driving around if possible or the car does not start if i try after some days. He says this issue is Common in TATA cars especially new ones where warranty is only 1 year .

Now i am confused since i did not read about this issue anywhere and due to my work commitments i need to travel keeping car for some days .

So is this concern true for all or I should buy some portable Power bank just incase if i need to get my car started.

Do let me know your experiences
Old 4th May 2023, 19:12   #1754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeRide View Post
Hello,

I have got recently my Harrier #Dark (will post pictures later) . In the Society I stay there was one person who had purchased Safari #Dark some months ago. He told me that I need to keep the battery charged every 2 days by starting and driving around if possible or the car does not start if i try after some days. He says this issue is Common in TATA cars especially new ones where warranty is only 1 year .

Now i am confused since i did not read about this issue anywhere and due to my work commitments i need to travel keeping car for some days .

So is this concern true for all or I should buy some portable Power bank just incase if i need to get my car started.

Do let me know your experiences
I haven't heard this issue before. I recently bought a Safari automatic variant and I have parked the car for almost a week and it started in one go. Usually the battery tends to lose charge during winters and if the car is parked for longer durations (read as months), then you will have to use a battery tender to charge the battery. I think you should be okay.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 10:11   #1755
BHPian

Have a strange issue. Music when played via Android Auto sounds flat. Especially the bass. However, when only Bluetooth is used, the quality of sound is much better and the bass absolutely booms. Is there any workaround for this? I use the maps frequently and just prefer the Google UI. For reference, I use OnePlus 8t running Nameless OS without root.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks