Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2023, 12:20   #1696
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Would like to post changes the new update brought -
1) Apple Carplay
2) Drivenext which shows driving stats and adds a widget for it
3) Song and source info on instrument cluster. Weirdly it shows the song name and the album name (??) ,instead of the artist. Weird choice.
4) Song name on cluster replaced with volume slider when volumechanged. Nice.

Still waiting to launch phone dialer directly from steering buttons. Can't state how much this is missed from my old i20.
loneagl09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 20:24   #1697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Question for all you Harrier buyers out here - what's the deciding factor for you'll over the Safari? From what I understand - the Safari gets slightly better kit (front pax powered seats etc) for almost the same price? If I'm not wrong, both the Harrier and the Safari top models retail almost around the same price mark - give or take 50k odd, so wouldn't a Safari be more of a VFM option?
When I bought the Safari (XZA+ KZR) in August 2022, the following were missing from the Harrier comparable version :
1. Rear disc brakes
2. Wireless Android Auto
3. Wireless charger

I think there were a couple of more differences, but this is what I recall off hand.

But the price difference was about 2 lakhs between XZA+KZR Versions of Harrier and Safari (not 50000) at that time point.

I wanted significant storage space, similar to the boot of my Linea T Jet. This plus the rear disc brakes were the main reason I went for the Safari. I keep the seats tumbled all the time. I've used the rear row only twice in 7 months (and 10000kms).

Talking about the size, the width and the wheelbase are identical for Harrier and the Safari. The Safari is about 6cms longer (Harrier 4.598m Vs Safari 4.661m) and this doesn't make Safari any more difficult to drive or park (Vs Harrier), is what I felt.
sparameswaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 01:38   #1698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Question for all you Harrier buyers out here - what's the deciding factor for you'll over the Safari? From what I understand - the Safari gets slightly better kit (front pax powered seats etc) for almost the same price? If I'm not wrong, both the Harrier and the Safari top models retail almost around the same price mark - give or take 50k odd, so wouldn't a Safari be more of a VFM option?
I don’t think the difference between pricing is 50,000. It’s almost 1 lac + or so.
However I went for Harrier because :

I personally felt Harrier was well proportioned in its dimension and looked better.

Harrier felt much more quicker and agile to drive, compared to Safari.

Boot was much more useable.

I didn’t need a 7 seater.

I find interior of Harrier more suited to my preference than safari.

Lastly, in my budget I was getting XZA variant of Harrier where as I was getting XTA+ variant of Safari which means a W for Harrier.
BleueNinja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 22:31   #1699

@Vandit bought the Harrier XZA+ in Aug'22. The following were the advantages Safari offered over the Harrier:
1. Wireless charging (desirable)
2. TPMS (aftermarket solutions like JK Treel available)
3. Electronic brake
4. Rear disk brakes

However, following things tilted the favour towards the Harrier:
1. Wanted a 5 seater
2. Didn't want dark edition. Do not like the chrome grill on Safari- prefer the black grill (personal choice)
3. Tyre size- Safari comes with 18" alloys while Harrier comes with 17" (unless it is Dark edition).
Read in the forum that 17" absorb bumps better than 18", though 18" look better.
Goutsdk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2023, 09:22   #1700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goutsdk View Post
@Vandit bought the Harrier XZA+ in Aug'22. The following were the advantages Safari offered over the Harrier:
1. Wireless charging (desirable)
2. TPMS (aftermarket solutions like JK Treel available)
3. Electronic brake
4. Rear disk brakes

However, following things tilted the favour towards the Harrier:
1. Wanted a 5 seater
2. Didn't want dark edition. Do not like the chrome grill on Safari- prefer the black grill (personal choice)
3. Tyre size- Safari comes with 18" alloys while Harrier comes with 17" (unless it is Dark edition).
Read in the forum that 17" absorb bumps better than 18", though 18" look better.
Thanks for all you guys who responded. I think I mentioned it somewhere already - probably mixed up the threads - nevertheless I went across to Wasan's showroom here in Mumbai to check out both the Harrier and Safari - unfortunately came away disappointed, and then some.

Being 6'3 I ran into the dreaded dashboard - knee issue with both models. I didn't even know it was a thing till I came back and searched on the forums if it was just me hallucinating, only to find that it is a known ergonomic design issue with Tata. Incredulously - they've done nothing to address it.

The dead pedal is also significantly raised and I found the position of my foot to be even more constrained.

I think I was a tab bit disappointed that the Harrier rear row cannot recline - I clearly felt Tata missed out a bit on giving a vehicle this size a usable feature. To make it worse, the Safari bench option also didn't seem to have a recline function - apparently only the captain seat versions support recline? The bench angle to me felt quite upright - even my wife felt the Harrier was better than the Safari in the second row..

Finally - I guess this is just the dealers riding high on demand - I was promised a call-back to arrange a test drive, demo and also brochures during the week - only to be completely left cold shouldered. Absolutely no follow up from the dealership. Apparently they can't be bothered enough to make a sale these days!

Oh well, Tata's loss.
Vandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 10:53   #1701
BHPian

Did a 352km run from Satara to Lonavla. Free things of note -
  • The highway average was around 19kmpl on mostly economy mode. However in the crowded areas of Pune and Lonavala, it got down to single digits. Hence the slightly less mileage.
  • Never had to use the sport mode, even in the ghat section.
  • Wireless Android Auto disconnected once randomly and immediately reconnected.
  • The ADAS is a godsend in crowded conditions. Blind spot moniter in particular helped a lot during unruly left side overtaking.
  • Automatic is necessary imo due to left knee hitting the console. Not a problem in automatic but can't imagine pressing a clutch will be any easier.
  • I've mentioned this before, but the new infotainment and instrument cluster UI is leaps and bounds ahead now.
  • Bluetooth sometimes will not connect on starting car. Happened 2 times in the journey. Similarly, if there's even a 5 minute gap between you switching on phone Bluetooth and car, the car won't automatically connect to phone.
  • Central console sometimes creaks on high speedbreakers or deep potholes. It's not a rattle and very infrequent. No other rattles, even on extreme bad roads.
  • The camera quality is exceptional (looking at you XUV700), even at night. Weirdly I find my old i20 had even better camera than Harrier.
  • Ventilated seats are awesome, and one of those 'did not know I wanted till I used' kind of features.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_20230411_092219_lmc-jeus-v98-8-pro.jpg  

loneagl09 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 14:47   #1702

Hi,

I am an owner of 2021 model Harrier AT version XZA+. Completed 25,000 km and last week did the 2nd year service. Cost came to around ₹ 18,500.

So far it has been happy 2 years for me and my family. The only issue that I faced is the info system freezing in between and failing to connect. Mostly will be solved by its own after a short time or needs a car restart. Not a big deal but an irritant after all

Anyway during last week's service they said they have updated the s/w for info system and I hope it gets resolved.

MY FE is around 13 with mostly city drive in Eco mode. When I go for long drives in early morning or when roads are free I have got till 18.5 also

I have below points to ask to the learned group here

1. is the cost of ₹ 18,000 odd reasonable for a 2nd year service. No other major repair issues was there for me.

2. The s/w version now shows as Q5_R18.50. Is that the latest? I dont see any major difference other than the time indicator in the speedometer console is much bigger now which is a good thing.

Have a good day !
alextekno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 08:09   #1703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneagl09 View Post
How was the handling and ride comfort in ghats and plains??
Old 12th April 2023, 08:52   #1704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
How was the handling and ride comfort in ghats and plains??
Harrier handling has typically rated great and my experience was no different. Mostly used the economy mode on the highway and City mode in the ghat section. Vehicle feels very planted even at higher speeds on turns. Body roll is well controlled. I can truly say I was less tired compared to a similar journey in my old i20
loneagl09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 11:45   #1705
BHPian

Any idea if the new Info system center console can be swapped out with an older generation harrier ? has anyone approached or got solid input from the showroom for this ?

I blv the driver display unit cannot be changed as it is coupled with the ECU for all other parameters, but i guess that leaves out the center console.

TIA.
Old 14th April 2023, 13:38   #1706
BHPian

Harrier is a great looking SUV that gives good handling and decent enough grunt. If it were not for the engine, it's a much better pick compared to an XUV.
I hope Tata Motors resolves all the reliability and quality issues and makes it a world class offering at least in the next 2-3 iterations.
Old 14th April 2023, 15:19   #1707

Quote:
  • The highway average was around 19kmpl on mostly economy mode. However in the crowded areas of Pune and Lonavala, it got down to single digits. Hence the slightly less mileage.
  • Never had to use the sport mode, even in the ghat section.
  • Wireless Android Auto disconnected once randomly and immediately reconnected.
  • The ADAS is a godsend in crowded conditions. Blind spot moniter in particular helped a lot during unruly left side overtaking.
  • Automatic is necessary imo due to left knee hitting the console. Not a problem in automatic but can't imagine pressing a clutch will be any easier.
  • I've mentioned this before, but the new infotainment and instrument cluster UI is leaps and bounds ahead now.
  • Bluetooth sometimes will not connect on starting car. Happened 2 times in the journey. Similarly, if there's even a 5 minute gap between you switching on phone Bluetooth and car, the car won't automatically connect to phone.
  • Central console sometimes creaks on high speedbreakers or deep potholes. It's not a rattle and very infrequent. No other rattles, even on extreme bad roads.
  • The camera quality is exceptional (looking at you XUV700), even at night. Weirdly I find my old i20 had even better camera than Harrier.
  • Ventilated seats are awesome, and one of those 'did not know I wanted till I used' kind of features.
I agree with your Comment on Automatic requirement. I believe that harrier was designed as an automatic vehicle and manual was provided as an afterthought.

They provided the clutch in whatever space left between the console and brake.During my Vizag-Puri-Vizag trip in my friends Harrier, I stalled the vehicle multiple times due to my feet getting stuck in the footwell.

Except for this niggle, I enjoyed driving the vehicle.
Old 14th April 2023, 16:41   #1708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[*]Never had to use the sport mode, even in the ghat section.
[*]The camera quality is exceptional (looking at you XUV700), even at night. Weirdly I find my old i20 had even better camera than Harrier.
You should not even attempt sports mode in ghat coz the tuning for the pick up is different in sports mode. Ghats should be handled in the Economy mode or City mode for safe handling the curves.

Which Camera are you referring to? Rear Camera in Harrier is not upto the mark, quite grainy picture actually. Thats one thing which I would like to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabeermohamed View Post
If it were not for the engine, it's a much better pick compared to an XUV.
Its a Fiat 2 ltr engine and nicely tuned for the Harrier. I drive the Hector which has the same engine with different tuning the drive was bit boring. Did you face any issues with the pick up?
Old 14th April 2023, 17:12   #1709
BHPian

A very satisfying experience with the Harrier is undeniable, I went from Jaipur to Udaipur in January with the manual transmission, and the ride was satisfying. This begs the question. Now that the Harrier has a competent ADAS system, what does a Tucson have to justify a 15L price difference? Any views from TBHPians
pd1108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 17:59   #1710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextekno View Post
1. is the cost of ₹ 18,000 odd reasonable for a 2nd year service. No other major repair issues was there for me.
18,000 for a second year service without any part replacement seems ridiculous for this segment.
Cardheko is quoting 13k for the 2nd year. But even more surprisingly a lot of other similar vehicles cost a lot less to service (compass: https://www.cardekho.com/jeep/compass/service-cost)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks