Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2023, 18:32   #1711
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextekno View Post
1. is the cost of ₹ 18,000 odd reasonable for a 2nd year service. No other major repair issues was there for me.
You can get better responses if you had shared the invoice. Till then it's just guessing what could be wrong, or if the amount was fair.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 09:29   #1712
BHPian

Returned earlier this week from a 7.6K KMs, 4-week trip to NE done on Harrier KZA+.

Mum-Puri-Tinsukia-Mum, mostly solo. Yes, kinda indulgent streak.

Hills, plains, highways, city streets, village roads, no roads - the machine just munched them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Luckily got to drive on both Samruddhi and Purvanchal. TtT mileage 17.3 KMPL, entirely for City Auto mode. 3rd service done at TMSC in Guwahati, smooth. Though miffed at the time, damage to left door on hitting a stone, which is being replaced. Mechanics, no issues.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-easttripodo.png  

subuiyer is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 12:31   #1713

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
You can get better responses if you had shared the invoice. Till then it's just guessing what could be wrong, or if the amount was fair.
Hi

Have attached the copy of the bills as requested. Do take a look

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-mod.jpg

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-9b9fa82c5fdc4cfc815aaf3d4b92e4e6.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 15th April 2023 at 18:15. Reason: Personal details masked
alextekno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 21:33   #1714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextekno View Post
Hi

Have attached the copy of the bills as requested. Do take a look

Attachment 2440600

Attachment 2440491
Two insights :
1.) Seeems you are charged twice for service hence around 3000 extra.
2.Disinfectant is optional. Charged 1800 for that.

Rest everything is fine. Seems you had pads replaced in AMC? Did you take any AMC earlier ? If your pads were to be replaced for free then bill is high however if pads were chargeable then service advisor has done some adjustment to reduce your pad costs. Even break pads were chargeable then on net bill you have saved some amount.
steadfast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 22:35   #1715

Hi,

Thanks for taking a look and your points

1. I saw that but the narrative given for both is different. Do you think I should take it up with them?
2. Not sure what is the effect of that disinfectant process

In fact they had given an estimate of 17K before I gave the car for service. Still I found it to be high and so checked with you all

I have taken P2P package and so they must not have charged for the wear and tear parts

They also told me that wiper blades and engine idle switch ( hope I got that right) are to be replaced and they will order and replace for free. That also should be due to the P2P coverage

Ps: can you confirm if my S/w version is the latest?
It is showing as Q5_R18.50
Old 17th April 2023, 15:54   #1716
BHPian

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-harrierkza1.jpg

Took delivery of the Harrier Kaziranga KZA+ exactly a year ago, replacing Duster AWD as my primary vehicle. Having done two long drives recently (link) and the ODO crossing 18.5K, here are my experiences (and opinions) in no specific order. Some points are perhaps a repeat of what others have already said and the T-BHP review, nevertheless, here they are.
  • The build is rugged and sturdy – metal parts, high-touch plastics, seats, buttons, etc. The ruggedness gives a sense of built to last, but let time and statistics speak. However, the build is not refined or polished - panel gaps, rough plastic edges, etc. +ve is no rattles, yet!
  • Seat comfort – Okay-ish. I have done nearly a dozen 500+ KMS / 10+ hrs drives in the past three months. Only a faint hint of hip pain cropped on 3rd consecutive day of 500+ KMS drive. However, my wife’s verdict is passenger seat is nowhere as comfortable as one in the Duster AWD previously owned. She struggles with back pain on 4-hr drives, even with breaks. Height adjustment for passenger seat is sorely missed. Headrest angle adjustment is needed, but a good neck support pillow also helps.
  • Armrest – mixed feeling. Good to have, deep cooled storage, difficult to reach charging ports. Sliding top would have made it more usable / comfortable for drivers.
  • Driving position – Earlier I believed there was only ‘one’ ideal position for me. In the past few months realized that was naïve, now my driving position depends on factors such as – avg speed, traffic, urgency or relaxed. Powered seats help find the right one quickly each time.
  • Left leg position – I have habituated to two positions for the left leg 1) sole on the dead pedal position 2) semi-cross position where edge of sole is on the floor with heel touching the seat edge. Subconsciously take the #2 position and sadly that has also resulted in a marked pain in the left ankle when walking. Dead pedal size and angle are not perfect, but the GFX mat has helped. I don’t face the problem of left knee touching the dash as many others have reported.
  • Seats covers - the light Beige coloured faux leather seat fabric is surprisingly easy to keep clean. No stains, yet!
  • Ventilated seats – why weren’t/still aren’t ventilated seats standard in all vehicles sold in India? The ones in Harrier can be more powerful. Sometimes I felt even on #3 level the blower was not strong enough. Also at #3, it is the noisiest thing in the cabin.
  • IRVM – Dimming function is good, mirror should have been 2-3 inches wider to help see D pillar to D pillar. I am 5’6 and in higher seating setup find the vertical upward most swivel position of the IRVM insufficient. I need to bend my head down to be able to view the rear reflection properly. +ve of that is lesser headlamp reflection.
  • OVRM – large and gives a good view. Large but surprisingly lesser wind noise than expected at 3-digit speeds. The button to fold / unfold them electronically is unreliable and in a tight situation prefer to fold manually.
  • Glass areas and visibility – the car has large glass area, which provide excellent views in all directions to driver and passengers. Flip side, a lot of heat enters the cabin on a sunny day – shades are vital. All glass keep the UV out as per my photochromatic specs. Large A-pillar creates a blind spot for drivers. Driver side window glass is single press up and down and I like that passenger ones are not one-touch. Cleaning the glass takes efforts and some acrobatic abilities. Also, with so many stickers for society, office, groups, puc, fastag, etc., glad to have a large windshield.
  • Steering – Nice to hold and I have developed different holding positions for one-hand, two-hands, slow-speeds, high-speeds, broken-roads, unpredictable obstacles (2/4 legged ones), etc. Now one of the edges (stitched) is starting to pinch into my thumbs. May go for a cover rather than tinker with the original leather/stitching. Hydraulic steering takes effort to turn and to hold a straight line, but this hasn’t bothered me.
  • Horn and horn pad - takes far too much effort, this alone will put off many drivers – unable to sound the horn with just the thumb or fingers, takes a good thump with the palm heel. Stock Hella horns work well for me.
  • Sunroof – have fully opened it exactly 3 times in a year and all when stationary. This includes twice by kids on delivery day (which don’t really count). The third time was when I was testing if there was indeed an auto ‘everything’ close function when locking the car and it did not work for me. Have opened the cover a few times during drives and the additional light has helped lift the mood in the cabin each time.
  • Infotainment – have learned to live with the niggles. Most irritating is when android auto refuses to connect/display the map when I am approaching critical turns/lane changes. Un-pairing/Repairing brings everything back but is not convenient. I really wish TML provides an option to replace with the newer 10.25 inch seen in 2023 models, even if it is at additional cost. Meanwhile I have added a mobile holder for exigencies. Have Gaana and Spotify subscriptions, both have worked well so far.
  • Controls and switches – I like that most often used controls are mechanical and built to last e.g. volume, AC temperature, togglers, etc. I would have preferred a switch for the DRL too, as I tend to drive with DRLs off most times.
  • DRLs – very bright normally, to the extent its common for new Harrier drivers to forget switching on their headlamps in the dark (the auto-headlamp function helps). Flip side (my view), the DRLs tend to attract attention, sometimes attention you don’t want/need.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-harrierkza2.jpg
  • Grassland Beige Colour – This may be my most controversial comment yet. I am now convinced that this colour indeed poses a challenge for others to judge the vehicle size/speed from a distance. More than a dozen times, I have seen people clearly mis-judge the distance to/from the Harrier at highway speeds. This is only on clear days and when the Sun is overhead (10 am – 3 pm), few times even with the DRLs ON. Didn’t face that with the Brown or Silver coloured vehicles with no DRLs I owned earlier. I may have contributed to an increase in my next insurance premium.
  • Engine + auto box - The MultiJet 2.0 mated to 6-speed auto box is bliss. Post ~5K ODO, I am finding the smoothness is remarkable once the machine has warmed up. Even more after the engine oil change at 3rd service. My baseline is the K9K and the U2, so view could be skewed. Then again, a couple of others who drive petrols, brought up the smoothness – felt good.
  • Tyres – 17 inch Apollo Apterras provide decent grip and comfort for a sedate driver that I am – don’t recall any tyre spins or skids. Road noise is bearable at 80-120 KMPH. Been on Sammrudhi (entire), Purvanchal (small section) and other concrete roads at up to 120 KMPH, without any alarm. Had a puncture recently near Guwahati - entire Hex M16 bolt was pulled out. Had to open the tyre to patch up from inside. Lacking TPMS – didn’t really feel the need.
  • Ride quality, NVH and handling – clearly a driver’s car, but passenger comfort is not lacking. Heavy steering and dimensions not-withstanding, it has felt pretty good to drive. NVH is surprisingly good. Most times we cannot hear much else other than the horns and the reverberations from large diesel engines like bus or truck nearby (resonance), besides our own road/tyre noise. Everything else is kept out. I suspect the matting (aka lamination) is +vely contributing to this.
  • Doors – too heavy for my liking. Family struggles to work with them. Everyone struggles with the boot lid weight and getting it to shut first time. When parked at an angle, wife usually needs me to walk across to close/open the passenger side door. The width between the external door metal surface and the interior trim is a lot, not sure how much is necessary and wasted space, but +ve is ‘in a tank’ like feeling – a feeling that was reinforced recently when stone hit both passenger side doors. Didn’t think aftermarket damping is needed.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-harrierkza3.jpg
  • Speakers – OEM speakers good enough for me including the settings. Never felt the need to exceed volume level 5. For phone calls the volume level is different, around 12-14. I am not an audiophile.
  • Voice commands – I have taken the effort to learn a few Android auto voice commands. Nifty ones like calling someone’s work or mobile, looking for petrol pumps or restaurants on the way, etc. Find it helpful. Harrier commands (like opening sunroof) not tried yet.
  • Hill Ascent / Descent – hill ascent is becoming universal. Hill descent is very comforting in the hills, works <40 KMPH only.
  • Cruise Control – On the Sammrudhi and Purvanchal expressways, it was a lifeline. Everywhere else unusable in our traffic conditions.
  • Locking/unlocking – Still getting used to wireless key and frequently walk out with keys in pocket. I love the fob sensors and the timed auto door locking. Gripe is the loud double beep each time boot lid is lifted.
  • Mileage – better than expected so far. Using TtT method getting 16-17 KMPL avg with 80% highway runs at 80-100 KMPH and rest bumper-to-bumper city traffic. Lifetime low of 11 and high of 21. The MID shows 1-2 KMPL higher. I am a sedate driver.
  • AC – good enough for the cabin size and Indian summer. Auto, but would have loved dual zone control. Also, for rear blowers on B pillars, most people struggle getting the vent angle right and just complain ac isn’t cooling enough.
  • IRA app – first year is free and then paid I was told. It has limited functions and the most useful I found are the ‘I am here’ horn / lamp, GPS position on map and intrusion alert. Also the trip history records every movement of the vehicle. Functions are nowhere near a Hyundai, where you can remotely start engine / AC or open/close windows, etc.
  • TMSC app – this is free, though haven’t used it much. I can see summary of my previous services and reminders for upcoming services, insurance, etc. Basic stuff.
  • Service – 1st and 2nd services are just checks and washing/cleaning. I only topped up DEF in those services. 3rd service is the first proper one with engine oil change, other fluids topped up, brake check and cleaning, tyre rotation, etc. Smooth experience so far. I do my balancing and alignment at trusted local FNG every 5K.
Overall, I hate that TML prefers to stay behind the curve in bringing much needed features and then adds them to newer editions than mine. But the Harrier has still surprised me and my family mostly in a pleasant way. I am looking forward to holding on to this car for at least 5 years.
subuiyer is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2023, 09:31   #1717
BHPian

Nice write-up mate. Your point on the colour hiding the size is correct. The other day saw a Kaziranga safari, and when far, it didn't look like a big car, but once it came near, it grew ten times bigger
Old 24th April 2023, 10:40   #1718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMambaXX View Post
People are getting dead batteries after 3.4-4 years(30-40k kms)
My Battery Conked off yesterday in just 2 years and 4 month (25,000Kms). The service center guys were non-chalant about it as if they were expecting this failure.
They said OEM battery which comes with the car i meant to last only 2-3 years and the starter motor power draw is massive for harrier.
Even to jump my car, it took two batteries in parallel.
They replaced the battery and I had to pay 12K for a new battery which comes with 60 months warranty.

Now coming to how the Control Unit handles low battery. It is ridiculous that there was no low battery warning before it completely died. Also when I tried to start the car instead of remaining dead due to low battery it continously rebooted at least a dozen times, don't know what electronics it fried in the proces. My car was a literal disco turning all lights on and off for a minute. I was not able to turn off the ignition as well. I had to remove the battery terminal to end this disco. TML needs to really work on this.

Secondly after replacing batter, sunroof cloth is not auto closing completely. It Closes and opens up about 4-5 inches. I guess some sort of re-calibration needs to be performed.

Last edited by BlackMambaXX : 24th April 2023 at 10:44. Reason: Needed to add a few more details about error handling.
Old 25th April 2023, 16:20   #1719

Quote:
Originally Posted by subuiyer View Post
Doors – too heavy for my liking. Family struggles to work with them. Everyone struggles with the boot lid weight and getting it to shut first time.
@subuiyer Dead pedal size and angle are not perfect, but the GFX mat has helped. I don’t face the problem of left knee touching the dash as many others have reported.
Nice write-up. I agree with you. Dead pedal angle and size needs to be reworked. Hope Tata works on the same soon.
Most of us have found a sitting position where the left knee does not tuch the dash

Did you ask the SC? I got it rectified in my first service. Now it closes easily.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 25th April 2023 at 17:56. Reason: Broken quotes. Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 17:57   #1720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My Battery Conked off yesterday in just 2 years and 4 month (25,000Kms). The service center guys were non-chalant about it as if they were expecting this failure.
They said OEM battery which comes with the car i meant to last only 2-3 years and the starter motor power draw is massive for harrier.
Depends heavily on usage and running pattern. Driven more on long distance highway journeys - the battery will last longer in some cases. Nevertheless - the OEM batteries in most cars die around 3 years. Thats pretty much the norm.
Quote:
They replaced the battery and I had to pay 12K for a new battery which comes with 60 months warranty.
For future - I'd suggest getting battery replaced at an authorized battery shop, rather than a car service center. Your options, bargaining power and product quality - tends to be compromised at service centers as batteries is not exactly their primary business with much customers. I think you'd have got it a bit cheaper outside, and would have got some return value for your old battery (not sure if the ASC paid you back for it).
Quote:
Now coming to how the Control Unit handles low battery.
Generally there isn't. Because the voltage remains fine in a car shut down, its the current that won't be available when the starter motor tries to crank. Typically - 4-5 failed cranks are enough to deduce that the battery has died, given the engine doesn't wind up sufficiently and its notable in most cases.

Last edited by Reinhard : 25th April 2023 at 18:00.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 18:25   #1721
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks need help with zeroing in on the correct variant for me..
Confused between XTA+, XTA+ Dark Black, XZA, XZA+, XZA+ Dark Black
-Love the all black interiors of XZA+ Dark black edition, but it also comes with R18 (235/60/R18) tyres and concern is it may not offer the best ride and prone to damage and higher priced tyre replacements in future
-The sunroof isn't a must have for me, so XZA is fine on that front as well as the R17 (235/65/R17) tyres, but will lose out on features in XZA+ like powered driver seat, front ventilated seats, 360 degree view system, all wheel disc brakes and some more!
-On road pricing of these variants go from 25.9 L to 29.9L
-maintenance concerns on the sunroof like dust accumulation, the rubber beadings deteriorating due to weather conditions, scratches on the glass (pardon my ignorance, not sure if these are genuine enough concerns to avoid the sunroof).
-Going for the #Dark edition restricts the exterior colour to Black only which is a bummer

I think my likes are contradictory to the features on offer in these variants, so this is going to be a tough nut to crack, unless I compromise on one or.more.of my likes. When the pricing comes into this mix, it gets even more confusing to figure out which variant offers value for money!

Last edited by Aditya : 25th April 2023 at 21:37. Reason: As requested
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 21:03   #1722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Confused between
Isn't XZA+ (O) what you are looking for?
Old 25th April 2023, 21:04   #1723
BHPian

Quote:
Folks need help with zeroing in on the correct variant for me..
Confused between XTA+, XTA+ Dark Black, XZA, XZA+, XZA+ Dark Black
-Love the all black interiors of XZA+ Dark black edition, but it also comes with R18 (235/60/R18) tyres and concern is it may not offer the best ride and prone to damage and higher priced tyre replacements in future
-The sunroof isn't a must have for me, so XZA is fine on that front as well as the R17 (235/65/R17) tyres, but will lose out on features in XZA+ like powered driver seat, front ventilated seats, 360 degree view system, all wheel disc brakes and some more!
I think you can go ahead with the XZA+ Dark given you loved the all black interiors. The 18 inch wheels still have a decent enough sidewall in comparison to other cars with 18 inch wheels in the segment. There haven't been too many complains about the tyres. Going for the XZA+ also gets you all the kit you need both safety and comforts.
rahulcmoulee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 21:40   #1724
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Isn't XZA+ (O) what you are looking for?
The (O) option pack just gets ADAS as additional feature over the XZA+ and I'm not very keen on having that (doesn't have Adaptive cruise control).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
I think you can go ahead with the XZA+ Dark given you loved the all black interiors. The 18 inch wheels still have a decent enough sidewall in comparison to other cars with 18 inch wheels in the segment. There haven't been too many complains about the tyres. Going for the XZA+ also gets you all the kit you need both safety and comforts.
Other than the R18 tyres, I had questions/concerns on the sunroof and exterior colour choice being restricted to Black. Right now, my preference for exterior colours are White, Grey and Tropical mist.

Last edited by NPV : 25th April 2023 at 21:43.
Old 25th April 2023, 21:59   #1725
BHPian

Quote:
Other than the R18 tyres, I had questions/concerns on the sunroof and exterior colour choice being restricted to Black. Right now, my preference for exterior colours are White, Grey and Tropical mist.
Have gone through various forums and even this thread before buying Harrier but didn't find anyone reporting issues with the sunroof mechanism. Exterior colour is personal preference, if you want the all black interior, you will have to settle for black exterior. We went for white because the all black interior (especially the black headlining) made it seem more cramped than it is. But that choice would boil down to your preferences. Try asking the dealer if you can visit the stockyard so that you can see all the colours in the flesh. This will help the decision making process.
rahulcmoulee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks