Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2023, 20:02   #1801
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Somehow after looking at XUV7OO and then looking at navigation option on Harrier 2023 display, I assumed the instrument cluster can show maps. But turns out it cannot and it's just a lame compass. Is there a way to run maps on Harrier/Safari instrument cluster 7 inch TFT screen?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th September 2023 at 13:10. Reason: Please capitalise first letters of names. Thanks.
Old 30th May 2023, 10:59   #1802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Won't this damage the OEM carpet over a period of time?
Good point, but over the last one year, I haven't seen much of a difference. The carpet seems strong enough to withstand the velcro pull. Only time will tell, but since my floor mats are removed at max only once a month, I feel it's okay.
elroydsilva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 13:18   #1803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroydsilva View Post
I bought the boot mat (HiArt - Rs. 2200)
Seeing the reviews on amazon has me confused.

1. Do these mats fit end to end or they leave a gap in some corners?
2. The mat in itself seems good, however the delivery seems to be a problem with the mats being folded and hence losing shape.
Old 30th May 2023, 14:32   #1804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Seeing the reviews on amazon has me confused.

1. Do these mats fit end to end or they leave a gap in some corners?
2. The mat in itself seems good, however the delivery seems to be a problem with the mats being folded and hence losing shape.
1. They are not a perfect fit, that's for sure. Fit definitely could have been better, but it doesn't bother me that much as long as it's doing its job. However, there are some areas where the mat pokes out a little and it's very hard to get it right. Even at a local seller, you may still face the same issue. I don't think they will accept a return just because some parts don't fit properly.
2. When the mats were delivered to me, they were packed without much folding and it was a flat, large package. No complaints there. This depends on the seller.
elroydsilva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 17:32   #1805

Hello Guys,

I will be taking my Harrier for my First servicing. Just wanted to know what all pointer do i need to look out for. I don't have much compaints except, the Steering makes some noise if u turn it fully while starting to turn from Stop position.

Except Oil change, Software updates is there other things I need to ask them to do it.

Last edited by graaja : 30th May 2023 at 17:57. Reason: Minor typo
Old 30th May 2023, 18:29   #1806
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeRide View Post
Except Oil change, Software updates is there other things I need to ask them to do it.
Oil change is not mandatory during first service, first oil change is at 15k KMS I believe. I got the first service done over the weekend and the charges were 930, just for the DEF top up.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 19:29   #1807
BHPian

Posting a recent experience that I had -

While driving sedately in Bangalore evening traffic on Old Airport Road, suddenly I see the error 'Drive Mode Malfunction' followed by 'Hill Hold Assist Malfunction', there seemed no loss of power or weird behavior. Since this road is broad and the traffic is free flowing, I pulled over to the side put on the hazards and switched off the engine. As soon as I try to switch the engine ON, and press the brake pedal it refuses to depress. Great, now the car won't move off the Park mode. Wait for a while (10-15 mins), retry the whole thing, nothing changes.

Immediately I call EMM motors in Banaswadi where the car was last serviced a month ago. After listening to the entire story they tell me that I need to call RSA and get the car to the service center. My worry was it was almost 5:30 pm and all SCs will be winding up for the day.

I call the RSA for Tata Motors expecting some help, they take down the details and tell me that since the car is in Park mode, they'd need to send a technician to put it in Neutral mode and the TOW truck to tow the vehicle. Also I am informed that since my car is out of regular warranty (still on EW, Dec 2020 make), I'd need to pay for the services and its some 800 for technician and 3k for the tow truck. I agree to pay and wait. Around 6:30 I call them back, this is how the conversation goes -
CC - I have all your details and one guy is arranging the technician, but none of the SCs are responding.
Me - Please share the details that you have
CC - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Me - Apart from the car number, everything else including my contact number is incorrect.
CC - Ok. Let me cancel this and log a fresh ticket.

I wait for another hour and at 7:30 again call them
CC - Still arranging sir.

8:00 pm -
I call them back again
CC - Sir you cancelled the second ticket saying you dont need the service
Me = Dumb founded. I gather my wits, mouth some profanities (silently of course) and ask them to log a third ticket and ask them to add a note saying this ticket should not be closed without my agreement.

10 mins later I get a call
CC - Sir tow truck arranged but no technician is available
Tow truck guy - I wont tow the car if its not in Neutral.
Me - Is that not the problem in the first place?
Tow truck guy - I dont know. I wont tow.

I call my regular SA at KHT motors. He says the tow truck guy can put it in neutral no technician is required. I take the CC and tow truck guy on conference with SA.
SA - Why dont you help sir?
Tow truck guy - I am helping but wont to without car in N.
SA - You can put it in N
Tow truck guy - I cant
Me - Tell me what needs to be done, I will do it. CC, Tow truck guy call me back in 10

SA - Sir I will get my mechanic on call, he will guide you. Just follow what he says
Mech - Sir pull out the gear lever cover, There is a small white box type button. Press it and move the gear lever to N.
Me - Thanks boys. You are rock stars.

I call back CC, and the tow truck arrived at 9:45 pm a full 4.5 hours after the car decided to throw its tantrums.

The SC didnt look at the car the following day due to heavy volumes. The second day the SA called me and said -
SA - Sir it seems the issue is some wiring related issue. Will update in an hour
An hour later -
SA - Sir, the brake light switch conked off and blew the fuse. That was the problem. We will take a longish test drive. And take another one the next morning. Once convinced only then we will give you the car.
Me - Whatever... Give me back a problem-free car.

Next day
SA - Sir, your car is ready. Please collect. Fixed under warranty. No charges.

Me = Pissed off with RSA. Very happy with SA and SC.

The lesson I learnt is that if an automatic car gets stuck in P mode, its pretty easy to move it into Neutral, so that it can be towed.
The electronics part better do not mess with on your own in a modern car, esp. one in warranty or extended warranty. I wouldn't.
Garth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 21:48   #1808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
Posting a recent experience that I had -

While driving sedately in Bangalore evening traffic on Old Airport Road, suddenly I see the error 'Drive Mode Malfunction' followed by 'Hill Hold Assist Malfunction', there seemed no loss of power or weird behavior.
The 'Hill Hold Assist Malfunction' is new but if you ever encounter just 'Drive Mode Malfunction' then simply restart the car and it should no more be visible. If you still see it then take the car to SC they will clear up the DPF Clogging and you won't see it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
Sir pull out the gear lever cover, There is a small white box type button. Press it and move the gear lever to N.
Thanks for sharing this. This is definitely a useful bit of information to have.
Old 31st May 2023, 22:34   #1809
BHPian

2 Month 3500 Kms Later

Hello All,

Here is a short review after 2 months and a 1800 Round trip to the Nilgiris from Goa.

Observations:
- Mile cruncher, can drive long distances before needing a break
- City mode sufficient most of the times
- Sports mode recommended while on ghats (Climbing up & down)
- Extremely poor performance in in even the slightest of slush+incline. All the traction control gadgetry kicks in and we are going nowhere. In comparison the 2WD XUV500 MT climbed this patch with no problems. I had to abort and wait for the rains to stop.
- Highway speeds attained in no time
- 18" wheels in my XZA+ are a bit bumpy on uneven concrete roads
- Handles well in winding mountain roads (for a SUV that is)
- Braking even with all 4 discs is adequate
- Average lighting, not recommended for long night drives
- Good wet weather performance
- Annoying beeps, too many of them (AQI is the most frequent)
- Park Assist Error showed up once and cleared by itself
- Infotainment is extremely buggy and has gone blank many times, CarPlay is more of a half-baked inclusion
-Ventilated seats could have been better
- Memory seats randomly adjusted to a position never set by me. 2 instances
- Driver display keeps flickering once in a while
- Overall FE during the trip 13.6Kmpl
- The car was much more refined after the 2-2.5K mark

Note: Total Kms run 3500, completed 1st Service before heading on the trip

Last edited by anshurao : 31st May 2023 at 22:38. Reason: Spelling and Grammar
anshurao is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 07:08   #1810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
The 'Hill Hold Assist Malfunction' is new but if you ever encounter just 'Drive Mode Malfunction' then simply restart the car and it should no more be visible. If you still see it then take the car to SC they will clear up the DPF Clogging and you won't see it anymore.
That’s what I tried to do. Restart the car. But the brake pedal won’t depress, so can’t start the car.
Old 1st June 2023, 08:32   #1811
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2 Month 3500 Kms Later

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post
- Extremely poor performance in in even the slightest of slush+incline. All the traction control gadgetry kicks in and we are going nowhere. In comparison the 2WD XUV500 MT climbed this patch with no problems. I had to abort and wait for the rains to stop.
This is concerning, how do you handle these situations? Any workarounds/alternatives ?

Quote:
- Braking even with all 4 discs is adequate
Not reading between the lines, but I hope you really meant to say "adequate" and not "inadequate" (asking because you said "even with..." Or are you saying "braking is even with all 4 discs" ?)
Old 1st June 2023, 11:29   #1812
BHPian

Quote:
This is concerning, how do you handle these situations? Any workarounds/alternatives ?
- Try and gain some speed before the incline and let momentum do the rest (Was clay, but then the XUV with HT tyres did it so no excuses)

Quote:
Not reading between the lines, but I hope you really meant to say "adequate" and not "inadequate" (asking because you said "even with..." Or are you saying "braking is even with all 4 discs" ?)
- I would say just about adequate and not very good, my first SUV so still getting used to the weight and larger braking distances.
anshurao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 15:59   #1813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post
- Try and gain some speed before the incline and let momentum do the rest (Was clay, but then the XUV with HT tyres did it so no excuses)
Did you get a chance to try the Wet/Rough road mode? When there are very bad roads, I typically switch to wet/rough road mode and it helps in maintaining traction. On slopes, I haven't faced any issues in particular, but I don't think I've driven on slushy slopes yet.
Old 1st June 2023, 19:07   #1814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroydsilva View Post
Did you get a chance to try the Wet/Rough road mode? When there are very bad roads, I typically switch to wet/rough road mode and it helps in maintaining traction. On slopes, I haven't faced any issues in particular, but I don't think I've driven on slushy slopes yet.
Yep did try different modes, not of any help. But I guess this isn't a deal breaker and most of us will not be driving on such roads. Also AT tyres should perform better.
Old 5th June 2023, 21:19   #1815
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I did a PDI of the Tata Harrier today and found something surprising - all tyres are Apollo Apterra 235/60/R18, however only 3 of them have the manufacturing week mentioned as "1923" (which tallies with Manufacturing month and year of the car based on VIN decoding). The driver side tyre does not have the manufacturing week printed.
Could that tyre have been fixed inside out (if so, do tyres have all markings on the inner side as well) ?
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks