Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2021, 18:45   #1051
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingwheels26 View Post
Would appreciate inputs from all and sundry since I am at my wits end since the last one week as to what car to decide upon and unable to think of anything else !
Thanks in advance
RollingWheels26
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
I had mentally prepared myself for a few niggles but touchwood all is well till date. Super happy with the purchase and fingers crossed.
It is the same reason what Riddler told that I hesitate to recommend Harrier though am a very happy customer. Some times you have to open to niggles and after sales is not polished like a Nexa, Hyundai or Kia rather we have to try to get friendly with one advisor for things to happen quickly( not generalising but my personal experience).

Driven it through all kind of roads and situations : smooth highways, rough village roads of North , unpaved roads, small street roads of Trivandrum, Kochi and Calicut, winding roads of Wayanad along with some insane manoeuvring and hard braking due to both cows and humans jumping on to the road from side bushes. Yes, it’s a whole lot of experience than my Figo and Punto. Mechanically the car is rock solid along with its 2.0 MJD and the 6-speed gearbox from Hyundai.

I will rate Hyundai Tucson ahead of Jeep Compass as Tata and Fiat share the same assembly line though it’s for Nexon but culturally it might be the same QC (speculation on QC part)

If your major driving is in city, kindly go for automatic version of Harrier/Jeep/Tucson. All of them have the tried and tested TC unit and hardly any niggles reported. Jeep Compass clutch is heavy and heard a couple of clutch issues. Kindly check on this

Last edited by greyhound82 : 7th July 2021 at 19:02.
greyhound82 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 20:28   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
I know Kushaq has not yet been crash tested but according to GTO's insider information it's going to score 4 stars at least. Moreover going by the record of Skoda in terms of safety it's going to be a safe vehicle. Service in banglore is not bad either, I follow many threads and no one from banglore has complaint about service.

Kushaq seems to be my only option left anyway . Anyway I intend to take a TD once the 1.5L variant comes to the show rooms for sure.

And I agree with your point about the ease of driving a crossover in bangalore and I have thought about it long and hard but sometimes the heart falls in love with the badboys (read: Harrier) and you just cant seem the plain truth of whats good for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatin247 View Post
First thing which I would like to say is that, there is no perfect car. Every car has some cons.....
The only halfway decent budget of Compass costs around 27.5 large ones. I would have been ok stretching till 23 or even 24. But 27.5 is way beyond !

I like the Korean twins but the safety issue concerns me. 6 airbags wont be of much use if the cabin itself wont hold up well in a highway crash. If the twins were NCAP certified to have a 4 star worthy structure (regardless of the electronic safety aids) I would have handed over a blank cheque for them no questions asked ! Right now I have to choose between practicality (a reliable Korean car) and joy (a safe but unreliable desi car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
Hey Rollingwheels,

I understand how you feel as I was in the same boat a few months ago.
Your steed looks GORGEOUS ! Be still my beating heart....

You know not just me but even the missus has fallen for the HArrier despite her finding the clutch hard (she is used to driving petrol Hyundais) and we are even prepared for small niggles here and there (rattling sounds, ICE conking off) but we are concerned MAINLY about a breakdown or stoppage in some interior city/village during a trip if not now then perhaps in year 3/4/5 of ownership. If only HArriers didnt have drivetrain issues I would have STILL gone ahead with it, thats how badly we have fallen in love with it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanF1driver View Post
Hello RollingWheels26,

1. I am in the same exact place as you are (including age group), except that I am in Kochi and would need an automatic torque converter.
!
The very same same Seltos accident is what nailed the final nail in the coffin of Seltos (pun intended) for me after the GNCAP rating ! Same pinch

I thought compass was in my budget but at 27L it is way out of reach and it doesnt make sense to go for base variants and feel miserable for the next few years. No point in spending 20 large ones and not being happy !

The harrier is certainly impractical but you know what they say- Love is blind and in this case certainly stupid

OFcourse once I do select I will post my choice here and create a ownership thread. Would request you to update your final decision here as well buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLurkerForLong View Post
Initially there was speculation if it was cut to release passengers trapped inside. Are we sure Seltos split into two?
Yup that has been confirmed that it indeed split due to the crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
If you liked the Harrier so much, I think you should get it lest you have buyers remorse every time you see one on the road. Tata's get more reliable after the initial batches and while the risk is still there, it is pretty low for the Harriers rolling out of the factory now.....
In my case I was planning for the non sun roof variant (XZ) solely to avoid sun roof and a potential niggle point despite wanting the adjustable lumbar support ! On a serious note- I am ok with minor niggles but recent threads on TBHP about drivetrain issues (with AT variants which wouldnt aply to me but still concerning) is what got me scared. I dont want to be stuck in interior Karnataka waiting 6 hours for a tow truck and rest of the trip spolied since we have to head back. All I want is for HArrier to get me wherever I Want to go without fail and with the AC running, everytime without fail for the next 6-7 years. Nothing more nothing less !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
I must say you are not the only one who has gone through this dilemma. I was exactly in the same boat a few months back. To be very honest I didn't even considered Harrier because it was way over my initial budget of 15 lakhs. ...l.
Your line about " I realised why Creta or Seltos sells more, not because they are the best available options but in reality, there are no proper options available from the competition. " rings true. I felt the same. I gravitated towards them only for the fact that they are the only reliable pseudo SUVs in the 20L range.

Can I ask which variant of Harrier do you have? Which month did your purchase ? How many KMs covered ? And most importantly- what issues have you faced ? If you dont mind. Honestly I too have falled in love with HArrier post the first drive and am DESPERATELY seeking for the smallest validation for going ahead with it *sheepish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
It is the same reason what Riddler told that I hesitate to recommend Harrier though am a very happy customer. Some times you have to open to niggles and after sales is not polished like a Nexa, Hyundai or Kia...s

I had followed your thread about the condensation issue . While am glad it got resolved and am hopeful *touchwood* you wont face any more issues am concerned about something more serious popping up in a HArrier I buy ! I wish I had the fund for Tucson so that I could have gone for it and closed this chapter. But being at start of my career I have to stay at 2 million.

Anyway I have only Kushaq 1.5L as an alternate option. And while I like it, it doesnt seem to inspire that awe within me that Harrier does. I guess now it boils down to practicality versus what the heart wants !

Also if you dont mind me asking- what other issues have you faced on your HArrier over last one year other than the resolved condensation issue ?

Last edited by Aditya : 7th July 2021 at 21:31. Reason: Extra smileys deleted
Rollingwheels26 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 20:50   #1053
BHPian

Quote:

Also if you dont mind me asking- what other issues have you faced on your HArrier over last one year other than the resolved condensation issue ?
No, not a single niggle.
The condensation was due to a crack in the AC pipe which they changed . Luckily after that not even a single stray warning on the dashboard or any other niggles. Everything working as usual even the infotainment ( Apple car play user here and it’s seamless ). Driven the car under heavy monsoons and leakage testing of the sunroof was also happened

@Rolling Wheels . Is there a drive train niggle reported for Harrier ? Will you please guide me to that link

Last edited by greyhound82 : 7th July 2021 at 20:53.
greyhound82 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 14:02   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
K

The very same same Seltos accident is what nailed the final nail in the coffin of Seltos (pun intended) for me after the GNCAP rating ! Same pinch
=====
select I will post my choice here and create a ownership thread. Would request you to update your final decision here as well buddy.
Sure, I will be posting my final decision here. I'm looking at only ATs and now thinking to take a look at some other options as well (Hyundai Elantra and Compass petrol AT). Both these are safe bets, though I would need to jack up my budgets.
Old 9th July 2021, 09:24   #1055
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanF1driver View Post
Sure, I will be posting my final decision here. I'm looking at only ATs and now thinking to take a look at some other options as well (Hyundai Elantra and Compass petrol AT). Both these are safe bets, though I would need to jack up my budgets.
I can relate here considering I was in a similar situation not so long ago.

As the saying (in Hindi) goes around my hometown

When it comes to your wife, anything can cause a rift
When it comes to tata, always buy the 3rd facelift

I like harrier a lot but unfortunately I can’t wait till 3rd facelift when it would be relatively niggle free. Maybe I’ll buy the 3rd facelift of Harrier EV.
For now I have booked 1.5DSG Kushaq
curiousnewbie is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 11:50   #1056

Quote:

Harrier fan boy in a quandry:

Dear Fellow BHPians I have been trying to solve a quandary for the last few days and am unable to do so. I am at my wits end and finally have decided to seek opinions from all of you.
Imagine my dejection when I saw that across the internet, regardless of the forums there are post after post of owners finding dozens of issues. If it isnt fuel tanks about to fall off, it is the ICE unit conking off or the gearbox throwing tantrums or the steering pulling to sides with a mind of its own. With every single article/post my heart sank further and further until I almost felt my heart break. I wanted, nay needed the HArrier but the fear of spending 22 large ones and then having to deal with issues and an incompetent, apathetic after sales didnt seem right.
Hi Rollingwheels26,

I was in a similar situation as yours last year, upgrading from an i10 automatic petrol. I will try to address the issues you brought up.
Bought the 2020 December Harrier- BS 6 - 9670 kms done (XZA + DT) .
My friend @vsaiteja (fellow Bhpian) has a bs4 harrier with 20500 kms (Manual)

Feedback from both the Harriers:

1) Mechanical issues faced : none
2) Engine responsiveness and tap on power - improved with every service. Absolute fun. The automatic gearbox mated to this engine is a gem. Was facing small lag 40-60 kmph range, which was tuned in second service (6months) (Automatic). Manual also has no flat spots.
3) Steering : The steering at parking speeds was heavy intitially and became more comfortable and easy post 6000 kms. The key is to not come to a complete halt and then turn your steering. Move the vehicle slightly and then control the steering at parking speeds, we found it to be much lighter. It is a matter of getting used to. The chasis with this steering we found quite agile at highway speeds. The Engine response combined with good steering make it very engaging and confident to drive.
4) Sear comfort : Excellent space. Have done 2000 km trip on 2 harriers (9-10 adults) (5 days). Gives roomy feeling even without a sunroof. Rear seat recline is optimal and we (including elderly) could do 400km+ (average in a multiday trip) in a day without complaints on comfort
5) AC performance : No complaints even from rear passengers in peak summer heat. Rate it excellent
6) Panoramic Sunroof: No leakages. The blind also works well and blocks the sunlight effectively when closed. Since the ride is flat and not much vertical movement (no boaty kind of ride) at highway speeds, you tend to enjoy the panaromic sunroof more. The 2nd gen Creta we testdrove (back to back - same roads), though panaromic, was not as enjoyable as harrier due to the vertical movements on back seat. Like the steering feel, this is something you need to experience, hard to describe it. Our parents tell me they get a train like feel when they ride in back seat of the Harrier ( More airy though).
7) JBL audio system : My constant companion. I felt it to be much better than in Seltos and Creta of my cousins
8) Suspension - Slightly hard in low speeds. Stays flat and confidence inspiring at high speeds. It takes any roads in its stride without complaints.
9) Fit and Finish: No deterioration of seats, colors, soft touch materials. BS4 Harrier is ~ 2 years old. Everything seems built to last
10) Rattles: None
11) Fuel Economy: City 10-14 ( AT), 12-16 (Manual), Highway (14-17) (AT), 15-18 Manual. These are my MID figures. Yet to test Tank to Tank
12) Engine Noise: We hear lower engine noise on bs6 compared to bs4
13) Road Noise and Insulation: Very happy. My reference is any car in the sub 20 Lakh ex showroom segment.
14) Boot Shape: Was easily able to accommodate 1 weeks luggage for 4 adults. This is without loading to the brim and not loading the parcel tray.
15) Ease of parking and Road presence: Never had a issue parking the vehicle even in tight Malls. Many people give way and wait for you to pass - This actually surprised me coming from an i10.
16) Reversing camera: I felt the one in bs6 is better than bs4 one. This does not match the quality in a Seltos or Creta
17) Aircraft style Hand brake: No issues
18) Space for bottles : Plenty
19) Brake feel: Nice and soft. Very confident on the brakes. Had to do emergency braking twice - sudden dog appearance , fallen two wheeler. Stopped without issue.
20) Clutch feel (Manual): Clutch is deep. Not faced a problem in city traffic. Progressive clutch
21) Gearbox shifts (Manual): Not the slickest of gearboxes. Slotting is good. Sometimes feel notchy.
22) Lighting during night time: I found it is pretty adequate. No complaints at all.
23) Safety: Build quality feels robust. ESP has saved the day in a couple of occasions. The drive modes tune the engine response appropriately to suit wet/rough roads which adds confidence. Wish for a GNCAP rating soon.
24) Tyres: BS4- Goodyear, BS6- Apollo Apterra HP. Due to so many other changes cant isolate the difference in performance between these two.

Infotainment System
This is one place Harrier lags to the competition. The touch screen on the bs6 harrier is more responsive than the bs4 one, though it is no seltos touch screen level sensitivity. For all the important functions needed, we didnt face any problem.
We only used Android Auto.

1) Update to the latest version of the firmware. I have taken the Harrier for a long multiday roadtrip, the day after the delivery of the car. The infotainment system has hung 2 times during the journey. I got the firmware updated in the first service and the performance was much better. No hanging till date.
2) Try not to change phone during the trip for Android Auto. Example: Say I am navigating on a one plus phone, dont disconnect and put a new phone - say xiaomi to the HU system when in drive.
3) Check the cable with which you connect to the phone. I have seen different cables work better for my friends xiaomi phone and my one plus phone
4) If your Music breaks, please clean the lint in the phone connector socket and reconnect.

Barring the first 10 days, till the Firmware update, the infotainment system never troubled me.

Driver Seat Ergonomics

I have seen many BHPians complain about their leg touching the console. Please try to lower your seat, till you just see the bonnet, then appropriately adjust the steering, back angle and the lumbar support. It may take a little time to identify you best seating position. You will have no complaints after that.

Service Experience:
They are not as refined as a Hyundai service center. Example : seating facilities, appearance of the lounge, spaciousness etc. Once you identify a good service advisor, things become lot easier. Our experience was quite good.

Issues Faced

None of them are showstopper - Minor in issue

1) Wiper washer fluid dispensing at wrong angles. Rectified after couple of visits. They wanted to test whether its the motor problem or something else. Hence the second visit
2) Water in fuel warning: May be contaminated fuel. they cleared the fluids in filters
3) Vehicle slightly going to the left, - Rectified with wheel alignment during second service.

Every car has niggles and there will always be a few unlucky customers with any brand/make. You might be in proximity to negative experiences because those guys will be most outspoken out of anger or frustration. But there are many people like me, my friend and others whom I know personally that are happy with their Harrier even after clocking 20k km in short span. If the few niggles are a deal breaker for you, no one can help. But I can confidently say that most fundamentals are solid in the case of Harrier. Even during service, we have experienced good treatment, probably because it is a flagship product.

On a side note, I have found many of our uncles and elderly friends surprised on how we spent over 20 lakhs on a TATA car!. We stayed silent and did not explain ourselves. On a weekend we let them drive our car for a small while, only smiles and surprise. They get the answer themselves.

We can list all the niggles and issues, especially in fundamentals in other competitors, but will start an unnecessary prolonged discussion with little use. Before the purchasing decision for bs6 Harrier was made we drove ( Nexon, Ecosport, XUV300, Rapid, TROC (booked- done PDI and cancelled), Creta, Seltos, Venue, Verna, 4th gen City, polo 1.0 TSI, Duster, MG Hector). So, like we mentioned above, our main focus was on fundamentals. Whatever few niggles in Harrier, we found it easy to live with.

Thankyou
SaiTeja V
Naveen K
nkaru is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 12:42   #1057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeineAM View Post
@Big Smoke,

I have a Fiat. Don't fancy chasing the only service center in town, so Jeep was the first one to be dropped
Hyundai Tucson is the way to go buddy.
I'll not recommended the Kushaq because if the Jeep's service center itself is bothering you, it's a no brainer to stay away from Skoda.

Quote:

Would appreciate inputs from all and sundry since I am at my wits end since the last one week as to what car to decide upon and unable to think of anything else !
Stay away from the manual transmission of Harrier / XUV5OO. All the more because 90% of your driving time is in the city.
The manual transmission of both of these is not slick, that you'll enjoy them. They're slushy & rubbery. You'll despise them after initial few months of use (I can't even imagine hauling a Harrier manual, day after day, in BLR traffic Quintessential torture!)

Best advice: Spend 5 lakhs extra, buy the Tucson. If money is a problem, buy it in January 2021. You'll get 2-3 lakhs discount minimum (more if you buy petrol, although I recommend the diesel). But, you'll feel that you've made the best decision in your life. And do one thing: take test drive of Tucson. The Harrier effect might repeat.

If you are staying away from Tata because of Niggles + Customer support, it's perplexing how you are inclined towards the Kushaq.

If none suit you, check out the Innova. I don't know why so many people skip it, but it's the actuall boss. And obviously, the resale value if that thing is unbeatable. On the other hand, God knows what the resale value of Harrier or Tucson is.

8 months ago if I had been as smart as I am now, I would've probably had an Innova or a Tucson in my garage. Maybe even an Alturas G4 (yes, Alturas). And I would really like to point it out now: Alturas is a real underdog. Everyone expected the owners of this car to suffer in hell, recommended cars like Harrier, XUV5OO over it (because Fortuner worked out 6-7 lakhs more expensive after discounts on Alturas), but guess what? We, the owners of Harrier are suffering, and Mahindra seems to have no plans to pull the plug on the Alturas! It's owners are happy: no Niggles or reliability issues whatsoever, Mahindra giving decent service support, best bang for the buck car (way superior to Harrier/ Safari, Hector, XUV5OO). And that's exactly what we crave for. This has now turned out to be a real irony!

My advice to all car buyers w.r.t. Tata cars: As someone said before, there is no perfect car. Hyundais and Kias are plagued with quality issues, even the Innova Crysta had Niggles in the initial batches, Mahindras develop rattles pretty soon, FCA treats India like a step child, and let's not even start with the Germans / Czechs.
What really we are concerned & complaining about is the response and customer support from the manufacturer when your car develops a niggle, or breaks down, or malfunctions. Today, even if my car's engine blew apart, and Tata steps in from the first hour and promptly replaces my engine, gives me damage protection for future, takes care of all expenses I incurred & behaves warmly in a way that I have 0 headaches and have a feeling in my mind "Oh, Tata will take care of everything," I'll genuinely be a repeat Tata customer. The problem and difference between Tata / Skoda and Hyundai / Kia is the absence of any cordial relationship between the customer and Service Dept. Where Hyundai / Kia treats their customers in a way as if their existence in dependent only of that particular customer, Tata treats them as if Tata has done us a favour by selling the car to us. The entire Tata Motors sales and service staff are like govt. employees.

Tata makes good cars (mostly). The customer support is the problematic part. If you can accept it and figure your way out of it, then 90% of your confusion is cleared.

Hope it's helpful.

Last edited by Big Smoke : 9th July 2021 at 12:44.
Big Smoke is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 15:21   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
Hyundai Tucson is the way to go buddy.
I'll not recommended the Kushaq because if the Jeep's service center itself is bothering you, it's a no brainer to stay away from Skoda.
Checked out Tucson reviews. Like the contemporary styling, don't like the price, but have started allocating funds.

Off topic, but recently Tata purchased 1mg and renamed the App to "Tata 1mg", which is now buried in the App tray instead of being the first App in the list. I sense a trend...
caffeineAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 16:02   #1059
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
Stay away from the manual transmission of Harrier / XUV5OO. All the more because 90% of your driving time is in the city.
The manual transmission of both of these is not slick, that you'll enjoy them. They're slushy & rubbery. You'll despise them after initial few months of use (I can't even imagine hauling a Harrier manual, day after day, in BLR traffic Quintessential torture!)
We can leave the XUV aside as its almost ending production, but it has light controls, right gear ratios and is very easy to drive in the city, Easiest of all of them.

Harrier \ Safari perhaps have the best gearshift quality in its category the problem is the gear ratios and the heavy clutch with a very european kickback (duster like). So there is nothing slushy and rubbery here, surely its not a Honda city from 2013 but that is not expected either.
Kosfactor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 17:39   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
We can leave the XUV aside as its almost ending production, but it has light controls, right gear ratios and is very easy to drive in the city, Easiest of all of them.

Harrier \ Safari perhaps have the best gearshift quality in its category the problem is the gear ratios and the heavy clutch with a very european kickback (duster like). So there is nothing slushy and rubbery here, surely its not a Honda city from 2013 but that is not expected either.
Well, I drove an Endeavour 2.2 Manual sometime back; really smooth gearshifts & clutch action. I know it's a segment above, but it's my only experience with a big SUV with manual gearbox apart from the Harrier. In comparison to that, I feel the Harrier has rubbery gearshifts.

And I totally agree on the clutch action. It's not very easy to live with.
Big Smoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 18:28   #1061
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
since safety was paramount
Please allow me to be the spoilsport who (hopefully) puts an end to your quandary. As you have highlighted that safety is paramount, I'd suggest that you go over these posts once, since they come from a generally reliable source (you may look at BHPian ram87pune's posts from before to verify that claim). Also, I recommend reading them in the order they are posted below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4738032 (The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4738126 (The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4870464 (2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4975568 (2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review)

I do not have any other insight to offer. I'm sure more experienced BHPians have already made sound arguments for and against the product in question while considering all your other requirements. I am focusing only on the aspect I have quoted in my post. I hope it helps you make a more informed decision.

Last edited by rpm : 10th July 2021 at 18:37.
rpm is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 08:44   #1062

Quote:

Dear Fellow BHPians I have been trying to solve a quandary for the last few days and am unable to do so. I am at my wits end and finally have decided to seek opinions from all of you.

Hey RollingWheels26,

As someone else also said, you need to seriously consider Hyundai Tuscon diesel AT. And if price is a concern, then go for Hyundai Elantra diesel AT.

Why AT over manual? I, like you, was a manual enthusiast, until I made my father buy a Hyundai Elantra AT back in 2012 for his convenience. I have driven it a great deal myself too, and I have been hooked to the convenience of the AT since, esp. given India's stop-go bumper-to-bumper city driving conditions. Luckily, most of the cars you are considering have torque converters (instead of AMT, CVT, or even DCT), which are the most fun and smooth to drive. Of course you can always switch to the manual mode to have a command over when the gears change in an AT, though I doubt you'd go down that road once you get the taste of AT in its default auto mode. And more applicable while buying a diesel engine. Harrier enthusiasts took a huge sigh of relief when finally Tata launched it with AT (procured from Hyundai, the same 6-speed torque converter unit used in Elantra/Creta/Kia Seltos/Kia Sonet (diesel)).

Why Hyundai diesel (and not Compass/Harrier): True that Compass/Harrier diesels are quite powerful and punchier, but then they sound like a truck, and they have fair bit of vibration levels (even though respective NVAH levels would not be letting a good part of them transfer to the cabin). Hyundai's / Kia's diesels are in a different league. They do not sound so harsh, with the engine's noise as well as vibration levels mostly suppressed/contained. And the fact remains, that even a diesel with a torque converter will give me better fuel efficiency levels than most petrols (AT or MT), and by a decent margin.

Why Tucson/Elantra (and not Compass): We forget about the rear seat comfort. One of the reasons for going for a crossover SUV is that it gives the comfort of a car in the shape of an SUV. Campass's rear seat comfort in no way close to what Tucson offers (which, I would say, is class leading). Not to mention the added convenience of feature of reclining your rear seat by some degrees, if not a lot. And if not Tuscon, go for Elantra. The rear seat comfort of Elantra betters that of Corolla. I am one of those who would not want the suspension to be made so stiff for improving my handling that the ride goes for a toss. And so, I think Hyundai offers me the ride that I really really want for my rear seat passengers. In Tucson/Elantra, somehow Hyundai has nailed the rear seat comfort, which was a league above the older Creta (don't know how it is in the new-gen Creta, although I am very sure the currently sold Tucson/Elantra would still be in leagues of their own). As regards Tata vehicles, I would imagine Tata does a great job of enabling great ride for second row passengers in its cars too, so no comments about Harrier's rear seat comfort (which I guess could be highly impressive too, better than Compass's, though still not quite matching Elantra/Tucson). (Tucson in fact commands a Merc-level comfort.)

Tata has done a fantastic job with Harrier, especially the facelifted one. That notwithstanding, Hyundai Elantra/Tucson still remain a league above. Elantra even with a 1.5-litre (115 hp) diesel (the experience is another level). But definitely Tucson, with a mouth-watering 2.0-litre (182 hp, 400 Nm) diesel mated to an even smoother 8-speed torque converter (that now comes in all leading Hyundai/Kia diesel cars, including Kia Carnival/Sorento/Sportage/Telluride and Hyundai Santa Fe/Palisade).

A few grouses for me in the current Tucson sold in India (that remain even after the facelift was launched): Missing front ventilated seats, 360-degree cameras, blind spot monitoring cameras that activate upon turning, all four door automatic one-touch glass open/close (current car has it only for the driver's window). Surprisingly, the first 3 of the features mentioned here have recently found their way into Alcazar.

Honestly, I am eagerly waiting for Hyundai to launch its next-gen (4th) Tucson in India, which is expected in late-2022 (another year and a half). As I have heard, that Tucson would be highly localised, thus having lesser excise duty, and so more cost effective. Having said that, if I have to make a purchase today, I would still stick to buying a Tucson (for 400 Nm quite diesel and 8-speed TC). Agreed it is costly, but rightly so. It is an experience of a different league. If you would get the taste of a Tucson for a month, you would never look back at any of the other options.

And, if price is a concern today, but I still want to have as many of the features, then I would consider Alcazar diesel (the latest offering tailor-made for India). It is loaded to the gills, providing some of the features otherwise found in latest Santa Fe/Palisade.

Hopefully, Kia would bring its Sportage and Sorento also soon enough to India.

Of course Volkswagen/Skoda are nevering bringing the diesel powered cars to India (or, for that matter, anywhere else). Besides, there second row comfort in not as good as those of Hyundai's/Kia's sedans/SUVs. They remain adamant on keeping their suspensions stiff, as though for their cars, the Indian roads make an exception and suddenly become European.

Ok, I should stop.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th July 2021 at 10:01. Reason: Thanks for sharing. But please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post.
ankurkundan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 10:00   #1063
BHPian

Are you sure a manual transmission is your preferred choice? If yes, Mg hector diesel manual should be in your consideration set. It's only negatives are polarizing rear and too soft suspension. But otherwise, the experience it gives is unmatched at that price. Test Drive it once and see if it's for you.

Your initial choice Honda city is also an excellent car. You can buy it for the seats alone. They are supremely comfortable and spacious. If you are getting a good deal, 4th generation City is also not a bad choice.
DonHyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 10:29   #1064
BHPian

Quote:

Go buy the automatic Dark Edition Harrier man, you will be fine. There may or may not be niggles but if you buy another car, you will for sure have that feeling of missing out every time you see a Harrier.

Also observe one thing, every time someone posts some issues or niggles with the car they always conclude saying how much they love driving it once the issues are sorted.

One advice as a previous Hexa owner is that you need to find a good service center before buying a Tata is because it will solve 110% of all issues you will ever have. Go on get yourself a Harrier and post pics. Have fun!
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 10:29   #1065
BHPian

Quote:

RollingWheels26
Hi Rolling wheels, I had initially booked a Nexon then changed to Altroz I turbo when it launched and cancelled the allotted car and got myself a Harrier XT+ when the Safari was launched. I am head over heels above my budget when I bought Coco (my Harrier). So, how happy am I with the decision:
Extremely happy.

I will explain it with some of the experiences I have had in last 3 months.
Space: during the peak of second wave in Bangalore, we were running a group share model of oxygen concentrators and once I had to transport 10 of them, in my car. Well you have to see the pic to believe the amount of space harrier has got inside ( pics never upload when I am commenting from my mobile )
Ride quality: yesterday was my first long drive with Coco, I travelled from Bangalore to Goa, alone. After 10 hours of driving, I felt as fit as a fiddle with no body ache or no cramps nothing. I could have continued for another 500 I feel.
Power and mileage: while I was trying to drive as economical as possible yesterday, the brute power of Coco entices you. I was mostly driving in eco mode between 80 to 100 kmph and I got an astounding mileage of 17.9 based on tank full method. 80 percent of it was on eco, and 20 percent on sports mode. Once after a toll, I switched on sports mode and before I could realise I was cruising at 170. I was stunned and immediately switched to eco mode and eased up. Such is the ttorque and power of the engine that I don't trust myself with sports mode now.
Niggles: hmmn actually none. Yes sometimes android auto does hang but it very rare and I suspect it is because I use Wynk music, as I had never any problem with the infotainment without Wynk. That too is very rare. Also, if you think the Korean twins are any better just check out the blue link issues thread. Also my colleague who owns venue reported phone issues when using android auto.
Safety: yes Tata, please get the NCAP testing done. I know feeling is not proof, but Harrier feels solidly built. The doors , bonet, rear door all feel solidly built.
SUV feels: Yes it is not a 4X4, it is not a RWD. But it feels and drives very much like a full size SUV, for my usage. Looking at my budget stretch, I care and love the Harrier too much to take it anywhere close to offroading. But this brute handles everything thrown at it. When I took it out of showroom and was going home, there was an under construction road which reduced width to half the size, opposite there was a truck and I had to get out of road to love forward. There was almost 6 inches difference between road and the side, Harrier handled it easily. Yesterday on way to Goa, so many places the road was washed away and not a moment I felt worried or concerned. You can go almost anywhere without worry.
Road presence: Harrier is surely drop dead gorgeous, all the doubting Toms who were dissuading me from buying a Tata are floored by the looks. Even two wheelers treat it with kore respect and think twice before cutting across. No Korean twins can hold a candle to the butch looks of Harrier.
Features: Auto headlamps and wipers work like a charm, even better that my experience with Nissan and Toyota cars in the US. The sound system is just crazy. I love it and anyone who loves music will just buy the car for the speaker setup. Of course I am not sure how the other companies too have improved in this respect. The pano sunroof is hit with everyone from kids to ladies to even my parents. Everything works as it should.
Power modes: Eco mode for my wife and me when cruising at 100, to get the best mileage and ensure my safety. City mode for stop and go traffic, or the ghat sections or general highway cruising. Sports mode when you want to chuck it around or want to get off the blocks super quick. Anyone who says the modes are useless, I don't agree with them, they just don't use it!
Reliability and QC and service: you may have the odd infotainment issues as some have pointed out, but as I said, very rare and completely livable. But your worry about being stranded is completely unfair. While the Korean twins have had brake fail issues suspension issues, I don't recall any example of mechanical or core failure in any Tata car. Coming to QC, yes there are some hits and some misses. There are places where attention to detailing is spot on and better than other cars, and in some places it sticks out like a sore thumb. The panel gaps are somewhat uneven, there are some alignment issues around the car. But a non enthusiast or a normal person in his whole life will not recognise it. Coming to service center, we will visit it once or twice a year, and I don't lose sleep over them not treating me courteously. Anyway my buying experience has been super smooth even after changing my booking thrice. First service was super quick and a couple of small things like wiper wash throw needed to be rectified. So all in all, very happy there too.

Do I recommend harrier to you? From one fanboy to another- Yes, I recommend it with all my heart. There is nothing in the price range which comes close to it. Peace out!
Raghuwire is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks