Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2020, 17:28   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Great review. As an S- Cross owner, I can say it has been a fuss free experience. Yes, the car is not flashy as the newer Kias nor as souped up in terms of features as the Hyundai Creta. But it is understated and comfortable. For a city car, it strikes a nice balance between the SUVs and the super compacts. What's interesting to me is that the S-cross was never marketed as an SUV. Always a cross-over. That's changed now since the new ads call it an SUV.

I guess everyone wants to ride the SUV bus these days. I preferred it over the Brezza then and would choose it over the Brezza now. But today I might just opt for a Creta over the S-cross.
invidious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 17:34   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMV View Post
-----
Suggest MSIL should soon start sourcing engines from TKM or Toyota global range, this will make their partnership more meaningful for customers, maybe a step before consolidation of operations
In fact it will be the other way around globally. Toyota will take Suzuki engines for manufacturing in their Polish plant.

Quote:
Toyota will also adopt Suzuki’s newly developed compact vehicle engines in the European market. These engines will be manufactured at Toyota’s facility in Poland. Toyota said it was too early to determine which models would get the engines.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 17:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

Maruti should have used this opportunity bring in new features such as rear AC vents and D cut wheel. S-cross has amazing quality, from soft touch surfaces to leather seats, but the features appear dated.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th August 2020 at 19:31. Reason: Minor typo corrected.
Old 26th August 2020, 18:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki has received more than 2,500 bookings for Scross Petrol

Quote:
Reacting to the response the new S-Cross has received, Maruti Suzuki India's Executive Director for Marketing and Sales Shashank Srivastava was quoted by IANS saying, “The mid-SUV segment is growing. We found that petrol fuelled offering is gaining popularity in this category and this need is fulfilled by the S-Cross. We have received a positive response."
https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...438852345.html
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 18:32   #35
Senior - BHPian

Yawn! (Didn’t find an emoji) that’s my reaction to this new looking old S-Cross! MSIL is starting to bore me to death with absolutely nothing up their sleeves except the image and after sales support that’s bringing in their numbers. It’s after 1.3 DDiS put to rest, I am not even looking at their shop for window shopping too! Sorry, don’t mean to offend anyone. Being a MSIL customer myself with Brezza in my garage, they have absolutely bored me with their approach after BS6!

No turbo petrols?! Now come on - tickle the senses of enthusiasts for once MSIL!

Regards

RV
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 19:01   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

As pointed out by many on this thread, this car really deserves better engine. I hope 1.5 DDIS BS6 version is launched soon. Maruti should really consider getting 1.4 Booster jet engine in S-Cross as our Indian market has accepted turbo petrols now and I wonder why the market leader is ready to lose this opportunity.
Dr.Naren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 17:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM
The SHVS system switches the engine off when the car comes to a standstill and neutral is engaged. Upon pressing the clutch, the engine fires up again.
Is the SHVS system in the S-Cross Petrol provided only on the MT variant & not in the AT variant ?
Because while it is mentioned in the "Driving the MT" part, don't see it mentioned in the AT driving report.

If yes, wonder why, because for the Brezza petrol, it seems to be the opposite - AT variant has SHVS.

And if SCross-AT doesn't have SHVS, why the high 1.24lakh premium for just a TC AT, which normally is priced only 50K odd higher ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 27th August 2020 at 17:45.
Old 27th August 2020, 18:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Is the SHVS system in the S-Cross Petrol provided only on the MT variant & not in the AT variant ?
Because while it is mentioned in the "Driving the MT" part, don't see it mentioned in the AT driving report.

If yes, wonder why, because for the Brezza petrol, it seems to be the opposite - AT variant has SHVS.

And if SCross-AT doesn't have SHVS, why the high 1.24lakh premium for just a TC AT, which normally is priced only 50K odd higher ?
SVHS is present in both auto and manual.
1.24 lakhs premium is because of the antique value of that auto box
NICHE is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 18:29   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post

The premium might also include the large royalty payments the parent company gets for the ancient tech which the Government is trying to reduce.
Old 27th August 2020, 18:35   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Maruti Suzuki has received more than 2,500 bookings for Scross Petrol
This number represents just a month or at best 6-weeks of manufacturing capacity. What after that? I am predicting that the sales numbers will dwindle down to around 500-1000 per month by the time 2021 comes around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Maruti should really consider getting 1.4 Booster jet engine in S-Cross as our Indian market has accepted turbo petrols now and I wonder why the market leader is ready to lose this opportunity.
You can blame the bean counters for this. S-Cross internationally has always had the 1.4 Boosterjet, which was praised by most reviewers. But Maruti bean counters have their cost targets too! And these guys, somehow, always win.

The S-Cross is on its way out. It was a car that pioneered a concept for Maruti. For entrenched incumbents, I have found that the product that pioneers a new concept rarely succeeds. It will offer something new to the market, sure, but the products that follow are usually far better received than the first one.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 18:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_RD View Post
Nice and crisp review! How would you compare this engine to the 1.5 NA petrol of Hyundai? There's very little info available on the Verna/Creta 1.5P.
The 1.5 NA petrol mill from Hyundai is nothing great. If you are looking at that motor it is best to pair it with their impeccable torque converter automatic gearboxes. If you want a manual, the 1.5K series motor will help you seek the thrills you desire no matter how "adequate" or "lackluster" journalists say it is. Sure it is not blisteringly fast but its the kind of motor you would have the confidence to hoon about in, rev-match through corners with and hold as much speed as possible.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 27th August 2020 at 18:48.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 19:16   #42
BHPian

Thumbs up for the beautiful review , but I missed few things like pricing comparison with the competition. 1.5 NA Petrol engines are now available with plethora of cars starting from Eeco, Brezza, Ertiga, Ciaz, Scross, EcoSport, Duster, Kicks, Seltos, Creta, Verna and the City in the similar price range except Eeco, so a detailed pricing table would have been very helpful . Also I missed the pricing break up of the variants and the comparison with the outgoing 1.3 Fiat Turbo CRDi Diesel .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Out on the open road, the car feels adequately quick, but far from being really f-a-s-t. Simply no comparison to the turbo-petrols of the competition. The S-Cross 1.5L is also more of a 'cruiser' rather than a 'racer'. Power delivery is linear and there is enough performance available to get the job done. When pushed, the engine revs to 6,300 rpm. And with a full load of passengers & cargo, you will need to work it hard at times. The S-Cross is more suited to a sedate driving style. Maruti appears to have shortened the gearing for the heavier S-Cross. 100 km/h is seen @ ~3,000 rpm, that's 400 more than in the Ciaz. This will affect your long-distance FE a bit.
100KM @3000RPM looks very high seems vocal too , can you tell us the gear in which the car was driving ?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 27th August 2020 at 23:38. Reason: Quoted post trimmed
Old 27th August 2020, 19:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE
I am not sure that is true because on the Brezza, SHVS is ONLY on the AT. And in the Baleno, only the MT models get it, not the ATs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE
Usually Maruti's TC variants command a 50-60K premium. The Brezza AT has a 1.4L premium which is for the TC & the SHVS (and some other stuff maybe). Just for the TC autobox, it can't be 1.24L premium.
Old 27th August 2020, 20:50   #44
BHPian

I checked half a dozen other global Suzuki sites and it appears that the 1.4 Litre Boosterjet Hybrid is on offer in every single one of them!!

Couldn't Suzuki have offered that engine atleast as a top-end variant with the 6-speed AT?!

It's a pity that the only Euro grade car from Maruti stable has the least impressive engine-gearbox combo in AT!

Last edited by pannags : 27th August 2020 at 20:51.
pannags is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 09:01   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Usually Maruti's TC variants command a 50-60K premium.
You are making a mistake. Usually, Maruti's TC automatics are priced about 1 to 1.10 lakhs higher than their respective MT variants.
k_kumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks