Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2021, 10:43   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Is the SCross built for India same as exported to other countries?
Not sure about what's exported from India, but European S Cross is very much different compared to Indian. A lot of members and reinforcements are missing in Indian car. An example, notice the rear crash member missing in Indian S Cross:

European:

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-272512.png

Indian:

Name:  28.png
Views: 5017
Size:  50.3 KB

Build quality is a loose term which every tom dick harry has on his lips. Unless a model is crash tested, one can never be sure of Indian made cars. This stands true for Ecosport too, which had many differences compared to Euro Spec cars.

Quote:
I see the kerb weight of XL6 as 1180 Kg and of SCross as 1130 Kg. Our own t-bhp review mentions SCross as well built OTOH in list of negatives for XL6 it is mentioned as 'build quality as ordinary'. When I checked door strength of both cars and also Ciaz at Nexa I found no difference to the build quality of any of the car yet SCross is deemed as well built in all reviews.
Again, testing panel strength using fingers can be very misleading. Manufacturers can fake it by using Structural Patches (Manufacturers using "structural patches" to reduce the flexing of thinner sheet metal)

Anyways sheet metal hardly matters in case of a crash and there is no way a common user can determine strength of chassis members. However, if you ask me, if a crash test is done on S Cross and XL6, I expect the S Cross to fare better, as its based on a better stronger platform. The Brezza has proven it.

Tests like panel flex, thud tests can easily be faked by using that type of latches and door seals. So don't fall for them. Thud cannot be an absolute measure of safety, else a tinny feeling Etios would never score 4 stars and a Ford Aspire with a solid thud score only 3 stars.

Regarding panel strength of S Cross and XL6, I honestly felt no difference. The feel you get while opening doors(that sound door makes when unlatching) is very different in S Cross(feels metallic) while XL6's sound is more muted. Rest everything feels more or less similar. For me build quality also translates to interior fit and finish and being a Maruti, both S Cross and XL6 have similar issues of rattles. However both aren't as bad as VB or UC.

S Cross has awesome road dynamics, the only point where I feel XL6 lacks. But then target audience is entirely different so I wouldn't complain. Sideward movement on bad roads is too amplified in XL6 due to its softer suspension and tall body. S Cross rides stiffer, but flat.

Quote:
I'm indeed in a dilemma between the two - ES Sports (for 6 air bags) or Zeta SCross.
That 6 airbag option is a serious thing, and hence your dilemma is very well justified. Happy Shopping.

Regards,
Shashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
Boss, what was the issue in the interiors of SCross that has frustrated you?
It was the installation of ill fitting seat covers which made me hate the interiors. Stock interior is one of the best ones in Maruti. Also if you ask about dislikes, I didn't like the mild rattles which began as early as 1000 kms, which was same as in my XL6. So yes, it may be well finished but at the end of the day, it has similar traits as other Marutis to squeak and rattle.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Eddy : 19th February 2021 at 12:02. Reason: Merged, as requested.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 11:21   #137
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
So yes, it may be well finished but at the end of the day, it has similar traits as other Marutis to squeak and rattle.
Hello Shashi, where is the rattle noise coming from? My car has just one rattle, the rear parcel tray which was fitted at the dealer. It pops out every now and then and starts rattling.

Apart from the rear parcel tray, there are no other rattle or squeaks!
Old 19th February 2021, 12:37   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Hello Shashi, where is the rattle noise coming from? My car has just one rattle, the rear parcel tray which was fitted at the dealer. It pops out every now and then and starts rattling.

Apart from the rear parcel tray, there are no other rattle or squeaks!
Touchwood!

In my car, rattles are from A pillar trim and from around HU. Also front driver seat squeaks on bad roads.

Regards,
Shashi
Old 6th March 2021, 00:19   #139
BHPian

Booked a new S-cross for my wife. The vehicle is coming by the end of the month.

We have a diesel Verna and were looking for a car to replace the 2007 Swift. Looked at 4 options:
- Hyundai Venue petrol automatic
- Ford Ecosport petrol automatic
- S-cross Zeta automatic
- S-cross Zeta manual

S-cross zeta automatic gearbox could not hold a candle against Ford or Hyundai gearboxes. After driving all three, ruled out the Zeta automatic. Ford Ecosport automatic is available only in the top variant that costs 14L INR on road in Bangalore. It has 6 airbags. great engine and AT gearbox. Wife did not want a Ford. So ruled this out.

Parked the Venue next to Swift and they seemed to be of same length. Not really a big upgrade. So ruled out the Venue

S-cross seemed like a next segment car being bigger and having a 1.5 L engine. The manual gearbox is time tested and good. My wife liked it. I happened to see my good friend @Leoshashi has bought the S-cross. Chatted with him, read his posts and when I saw his post on XL6 that said the engine is torquey at lower RPM and needs less clutch play, I was sold. Leoshashi also helped me by saying that the silver of S-cross is 30% grey mixed with Silver. So edited the silver booking to Nexa Blue.

Looking forward to receiving the car and sharing the experiences on this forum.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 00:33   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Booked a new S-cross for my wife. The vehicle is coming by the end of the month.

We have a diesel Verna and were looking for a car to replace the 2007 Swift. Looked at 4 options:
- Hyundai Venue petrol automatic
- Ford Ecosport petrol automatic
- S-cross Zeta automatic
- S-cross Zeta manual

S-cross zeta automatic gearbox could not hold a candle against Ford or Hyundai gearboxes. After driving all three, ruled out the Zeta automatic. Ford Ecosport automatic is available only in the top variant that costs 14L INR on road in Bangalore. It has 6 airbags. great engine and AT gearbox. Wife did not want a Ford. So ruled this out.

Parked the Venue next to Swift and they seemed to be of same length. Not really a big upgrade. So ruled out the Venue

S-cross seemed like a next segment car being bigger and having a 1.5 L engine. The manual gearbox is time tested and good. My wife liked it. I happened to see my good friend @Leoshashi has bought the S-cross. Chatted with him, read his posts and when I saw his post on XL6 that said the engine is torquey at lower RPM and needs less clutch play, I was sold. Leoshashi also helped me by saying that the silver of S-cross is 30% grey mixed with Silver. So edited the silver booking to Nexa Blue.

Looking forward to receiving the car and sharing the experiences on this forum.
Congrats , your choice is the best among the options you had. It's by far the most mature and better built Maruti then anything else they make. Its almiat unlike any Maruti and will last you a lifetime.

Enjoy thousands of kilometres with your new steed. Cheers.
Old 6th March 2021, 00:55   #141
BHPian

My maternal grandfather, who had turned 75 recently, is planning to exchange his 2019 Dzire VXI AMT with Brezza AT or S-Cross AT as he wants the feel of the big car and according to him, having a bigger car than his Dzire will make him safe and sound as well.

Why he is considering only Maruti because he's a senior citizen and as per him, the maintenance of Maruti vehicles will be much cheaper than other brands and since he is planning to exchange his Dzire for Brezza or S-Cross, he is expecting that he will get a good price for his less than 20k Kms run Dzire AMT. That's the reason why he is not considering any other car within the same price range.

His usage is mostly on highways most of the time and that too, he drives himself all the time and all the way from Warangal, which is 150 Kms away from Hyderabad and doesn't rely on others as well drivers as well to drive his car as he loves driving and has years of driving experience and he had driven lots of cars including Audi, BMW, which belong to my maternal aunt and uncle. However, the car will be under cover for every 3 to 6 months as he will be visiting my maternal aunt and uncle, who stay in US.

Due to his height, he felt that the Brezza or S-Cross suits him well as he used to have a 2010 Ritz VXI, which we exchanged for the Dzire in 2019 as he wasn't interested in driving an MT car anymore and he felt the Ritz was way taller for him than his present Dzire.

He is inclined towards the Brezza but I've suggested him to have a look at S-Cross as it gives some premium feel and looks much better than the Brezza.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 17:27   #142
Senior - BHPian

I had typed a long post in reply to your query that I lost. So posting my shorter reply today.

I would suggest that your grand father shall keep his DZire since he will lose money by letting it go so early. Its barely 2 years old right now. Apart from better safety in Brezza and SCross, I doubt if he is missing anything else. If he is selling it to get a big car feel, then ask him to check out Brezza and S-Cross back to back. I am sure Scross will be his logical choice as Brezza is having the same dimensions as a Dzire (except height and ground clearance). Space inside isnt much different in Brezza and Dzire.

Interiors of SCross are much more premium than Brezza. It has all essential features in Delta and Zeta is almost fully loaded.

Brezza scores better in terms of boxy SUV looks and also in terms of servicing (Brezza is Maruti while S-Cross is Nexa). Its said that Maruti authorized service stations are not allowed to service Nexa cars. Nexa cars can only be serviced by Nexa and Maruti dealership service centres.

Whenever I drive a Brezza, I feel that it has marginally better handling but then it has slightly stiffer suspension too as compared to S-Cross.

Brezza and S-Cross are almost same cars in almost all aspects apart from the ones I mentioned above. He wont go wrong with either.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 17:30   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Its said that Maruti authorized service stations are not allowed to service Nexa cars. Nexa cars can only be serviced by Nexa and Maruti dealership service centres.
This is not true. I have been getting my Scross serviced in Mumbai and Noida at regular MASS. Whoever told you this is just BS.
Old 7th March 2021, 17:56   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its said that Maruti authorized service stations are not allowed to service Nexa cars. Nexa cars can only be serviced by Nexa and Maruti dealership service centres.
Yes, that's correct. Nexa cars can't be serviced at Maruti authorised service centres who do not deal with sales. Many get confused and use the word MASS for all non Nexa service centres.

Quote:
This is not true. I have been getting my Scross serviced in Mumbai and Noida at regular MASS. Whoever told you this is just BS.
Does this service centre also sell Maruti cars ? There are service centres which are authorised by Maruti but not involved in sales, Nexa cars are not serviced by them as per Maruti policy

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 7th March 2021 at 17:58.
Old 7th March 2021, 18:11   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post

Does this service centre also sell Maruti cars ? There are service centres which are authorised by Maruti but not involved in sales, Nexa cars are not serviced by them as per Maruti policy
Yes Doc, both sell Maruti cars. Both are big names in their respective cities.
Old 7th March 2021, 18:19   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Doc, both sell Maruti cars. Both are big names in their respective cities.
They can very much service the Nexa cars . As I mentioned above only the service centres who don't deal with sales are prohibited by Maruti to service cars from Nexa channel.

Cheers!!
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 20:06   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nexa cars can only be serviced by Nexa and Maruti dealership service centres.
Quote:
As explained by Dr. Naren already, if you check my post again, I have mentioned that Nexa cars can only be serviced by Nexa and Maruti “dealership service centres”.

The ones not authorized for Nexa cars are those small FNG like service stations that are otherwise authorized to service regular Maruti cars such as WagonR, Swift etc.
Old 7th March 2021, 22:22   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, that's correct. Nexa cars can't be serviced at Maruti authorised service centres who do not deal with sales. Many get confused and use the word MASS for all non Nexa service centres.
Quote:
They can very much service the Nexa cars . As I mentioned above only the service centres who don't deal with sales are prohibited by Maruti to service cars from Nexa channel.
There are largely 3 types of Maruti workshops,

1. Dealer workshop, further divided into Arena and Nexa workshops.
2. Maruti Service Masters/Maruti service zones. These cannot sell cars, but are very much similar to Dealer workshops in terms of infrastructure.
3. MASS, basically FNG level workshops, which have been authorised by Maruti. These were the backbone of Maruti which earned them the anywhere serviceability tag. They cannot service NEXA cars, and also don't have authority to undertake warranty repairs etc. This is what it shows when you try to open job card of NEXA car at MASS:

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-20200814_164311.jpg

For more info about type of Maruti workshops: Link (An insight into Maruti's After-sales network: Different types of workshops)
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 13:39   #149
BHPian

It has been 10 days since booking S-cross petrol Zeta. Still the vehicle is not dispatched. Given this is not a high demand vehicle, are such waiting times common? They expect to receive the vehicle by end of the month

I managed the following discounts:
- March Maruti Offer: Corporate Discount of 10000 INR and Official discount of 15000 INR = 25000 INR
- Exchange bonus: 20000 INR

Also thanks to Leoshashi, saved the following money
- Said 'no' to suzuki connect. Saving 10000 INR. It is anyway a 3-year useless subscription

Initial offer for Swift was 160000 INR + 15000 INR exchange bonus. Increased it to 175000 INR after more discussions. So 15000 INR extra for exchange

The default set of accessories provided is:
- Mat Designer S-cross Minor: INR 1990
- Mud Flap Set: INR 532
- Door Sill Guard LED S-cross Minor: INR 3590
- PRF Ecstar - Lemon: INR 199
- Door Edge Guard - Metallic Finish: INR 250
- Dicky Mat 3D: INR 1890
- Ceramic Ganesh G2 with Om Foil: INR 254
- MGA 2-port Fast USB Charger + Cable: INR 990
- Premium Car Care kit: INR 1490

Other than the mat designer, Mud flap set and Door Sill guard, find the rest not to my interest. So that means there is 5073 INR left. With that planning to add the following:
- Rear Upper Spoiler
- Back door garnish
- Bumper Corner Protector
- Chrome Rear Boot Moulding
- Key Cover
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 22:10   #150
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on booking the SCross. Hope you get it soon.
It surely is one of the best cars in the Suzuki stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Initial offer for Swift was 160000 INR + 15000 INR exchange bonus. Increased it to 175000 INR after more discussions. So 15000 INR extra for exchange
What year/model/fuel Swift is this ? KA registered, I guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks