Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2020, 09:31   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I am not sure that is true because on the Brezza, SHVS is ONLY on the AT. And in the Baleno, only the MT models get it, not the ATs.

Usually Maruti's TC variants command a 50-60K premium. The Brezza AT has a 1.4L premium which is for the TC & the SHVS (and some other stuff maybe). Just for the TC autobox, it can't be 1.24L premium.
The 50-60K premium is only for the AMT's not for the proper AT's like Ciaz, Baleno and Ertiga.

The 4 speed AT and the CVT has always been commanding a 1.2-1.4L premium.

I remember both these boxes were imported from Japan but I am not sure they still are.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 09:33   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I remember both these boxes were imported from Japan but I am not sure they still are.
They are still imported and cost more than 3 lac rupees if bought in market. Obviously cost to MSIL will be lesser.

Ex: AT of XL6:

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-capture1.jpg

CVT of Baleno:

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-capture.jpg

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 29th August 2020 at 09:38.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 10:08   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
They are still imported and cost more than 3 lac rupees if bought in market. Obviously cost to MSIL will be lesser.
[/ATTACH]

CVT of Baleno:

Attachment 2049027

Regards,
Shashi
This car, sir, has an ex showroom price of 8L, which means the factory price is approx 4L, with the other half going as taxes. You think a 4L car can sport a 3L gearbox?

These prices quoted are those whey bill is when we buy gearbox from the ASC. It has massive margins built into it and does not reflect the cost to the company when it procures for making the car. Similarly, if you buy every individual component from the ASC to make the car yourself, your cost of parts will be many times more than the ex showroom price of the car.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 10:40   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
This car, sir, has an ex showroom price of 8L, which means the factory price is approx 4L, with the other half going as taxes. You think a 4L car can sport a 3L gearbox?

These prices quoted are those whey bill is when we buy gearbox from the ASC. It has massive margins built into it and does not reflect the cost to the company when it procures for making the car. Similarly, if you buy every individual component from the ASC to make the car yourself, your cost of parts will be many times more than the ex showroom price of the car.
Exactly why I said cost to company will be far lesser.

Regarding tax content in Ex-Showroom, you will find the first pic interesting: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4870560 (My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review)

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 29th August 2020 at 10:43.
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 12:57   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_kumar
You are making a mistake. Usually, Maruti's TC automatics are priced about 1 to 1.10 lakhs higher than their respective MT variants.
My reference was from when we bought the A-Star AT in 2010 & the difference between VXi & Vxi AT then was around 50K as I remember. Just googled and it seems to be right. See pic.
Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-astarprices.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639
The 50-60K premium is only for the AMT's. The 4 speed AT and the CVT has always been commanding a 1.2-1.4L premium.
Hmm, I thought the AMT variants were priced only 20-30K more. Checked Suzuki site and indeed they are priced ~50K more than MT.

Btw, asking my earlier query again - Is the SHVS system in the S-Cross Petrol provided only on the MT variant (not in the AT) ? Wasn't very clear from the review. The reason I ask is someone I know is planning to pick up an AT SCross-P, but doesn't want/like the SHVS.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 13:03   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Btw, asking my earlier query again - Is the SHVS system in the S-Cross Petrol provided only on the MT variant (not in the AT) ? Wasn't very clear from the review. The reason I ask is someone I know is planning to pick up an AT SCross-P, but doesn't want/like the SHVS.
SHVS is available in MT as well as AT in the S Cross.
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 13:31   #52
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the review and the old 4 speed auto gearbox they are offering, I am inclined to think that soon there will be a new thread - "Maruti Suzuki India - The way forward" . I was excited about this car but the only good bits that I can pick up are the nice looking analog meter console and the convenience of an automatic gearbox. That's it, the whole excitement ends there. According to me it's a crime to charge the people in excess of INR 12,00,000/- for a generations old gearbox and and a dated car. Forget about the Kia Seltos/Sonet, even some of the premium hatchbacks from other manufacturers will eat it alive. At this point, I can only wish them best of luck and also wish that they change their mindset to launch something new and exciting for the Indian market.
W.A.G.7 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 14:40   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM
The Smart Hybrid system switches the engine off when the car comes to a standstill and neutral is engaged. Upon pressing the clutch, the engine fires up again.
How does the engine start-stop work on the AT variant ? Does it switch off at standstill in D or N ? After how many seconds of coming to standstill ? And fires back up on pressing B or A pedal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM
We must say, Maruti has sure been working on the idling start-stop function. Frankly, it’s not that bad anymore.
Does this apply to the AT variant also ? Asking because in some other Maruti car's tbhp official review, I remember the reviewer mentioning that SHVS was a pain. Apparently it switched off just couple seconds after stopping, while he was planning to take the car off the road.
Old 29th August 2020, 22:21   #54
BHPian

Quote:
My reference was from when we bought the A-Star AT in 2010 & the difference between VXi & Vxi AT then was around 50K as I remember...
Thanks for sharing this. I would say A-Star automatic offered supreme value back then. It also gives an indication how much extra it does actually cost Maruti for this AT unit. I'm sure more Ciaz/Ertiga/XL6/Brezza customers are opting for the AT compared to circa 2010. So, despite achieving better economy of scale, Maruti is charging 1+ lakh for the same age-old 4-speed TC and pocketing a large profit. Then comes the S-Cross petrol automatic at ~1.25 lakhs premium. This is a rip-off (Brezza AT too).
Old 30th August 2020, 22:30   #55
BHPian

Nice and crisp review ChiragM!
I will say a half hearted & stop gap kind of arrangement by MSIL.
When I had heard that MSIL is going to bring in the Scross with a petrol heart I was very much excited. And MSIL knows how to disappoint the enthusiast and keep the masses happy, although I doubt it will happen this time!
They had a very good monocoque body, a good NA engine and a good suspension-ride setup. What was needed was a good auto box and a bit enthusiastic tuning. Alas they became greedy for profit!
distiller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 22:43   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How does the engine start-stop work on the AT variant ? Does it switch off at standstill in D or N ? After how many seconds of coming to standstill ? And fires back up on pressing B or A pedal ?

Does this apply to the AT variant also ? Asking because in some other Maruti car's tbhp official review, I remember the reviewer mentioning that SHVS was a pain. Apparently it switched off just couple seconds after stopping, while he was planning to take the car off the road.
Some screenshots from XL6's owners manual. Hope this helps.

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-1.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-2.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-3.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 23:56   #57
BHPian

While the product is outdated, Maruti has played a decent price game here on the automatics - you need to pay 30% more just to get the first Creta or Seltos petrol automatic. That is significant for the average Joe who uses the car point to point in city and wants convenience of an automatic, good ground clearance and fairly good rear seat space
Old 11th September 2020, 12:34   #58
BHPian

Half hearted effort for lugging on with S-Cross for the sake of it. In these times and against such illustrious competition, it does not stand a chance.

Only reason was the punchy 1.6 that was interesting, now petrol is quite dull.

No wonder they are still mentioning diesel torque and power numbers for the Petrol engine on their official website !!

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img_20200911_122601.jpg

Last edited by Moto$apien : 11th September 2020 at 13:00.
Moto$apien is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 19:12   #59
Senior - BHPian

There was an interesting conversation about the Platform of the Sonet and Venue on the Sonet Thread and I headed over to the Maruti page to read about their Heartect Platform and was shocked to see S-Cross also listed there.

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-heartect_platform_scross.png
S-Cross Listed as Cars based on Heartect Platform

Multiple articles that I have read on this forum seem to say that the S-Cross shares the Platform with Brezza and is based on the global Vitara Platform. Is that an incorrect assumption then given that Maruti has listed S Cross under the Heartect Platform on their own site here - Link. The same page does not list Brezza and Ciaz indicating that those two are not based on Heartect.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 21st September 2020 at 19:14.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 19:29   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
S-Cross Listed as Cars based on Heartect Platform
That's a major typo by MSIL. Vitara Brezza, S Cross and erstwhile SX4, all are based on Global C SUV platform.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed