Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2020, 10:51   #301
Senior - BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The Ecosport does not have a heavy clutch. The clutch is better than average, the action is progressive and the pedal travel is on the shorter side. The gear shifts are also very sporty with short throws. The clutch does harden over time, as it happens with most Diesel cars..
Good to know that you feel otherwise, but sorry, I would disagree with you on this. There is definitely considerable and progressive heaviness in the clutch once the initial new -clutch softness wears off. My conclusion is based upon several thousand kilometers driven across different Ecosports of friends and family. Compared to other diesel vehicles, it might be better off, as you said - can't speak to that since I have not been in a position to compare. As a stand alone drive experience, it is most certainly what I would call a fairly heavy clutch. That said, it is still a great car and I would love to own one someday.

Note: Since this thread is about the Sonet rather than Ecosport, happy to take this discussion to the Ecosport thread, or over PM so that it does not go off topic.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 24th September 2020 at 11:00.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:26   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udit View Post
Spotted this test drive Sonet rear ended by a Mahindra Pickup truck.
Ha! I test drove this D/AT 1-2 days later. The damage didn't appear to be big. I was told that a lady driver had stepped on the accelerator instead of the brake of her vehicle by mistake. The only alarm I noticed was that of low fuel level.
Although I intend to buy a GTX+ D/AT but I'm unhappy with Kia's policy of not providing safety features like ESC, VSM, HAC on lower variants. Until the regulators make it mandatory, Kia must show their concern for safety of all its customers. These features save lives.
TS Rawat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:49   #303
Senior - BHPian

Kia Sonet GTX+ variants priced at Rs 12.89 lakh (ex showroom, pan-India).

1.0 turbo-petrol DCT and 1.5 diesel 6 AT both carry identical prices.

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...930843567.html

Last edited by Venkatesh : 24th September 2020 at 13:02.
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 13:13   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Kia Sonet GTX+ variants priced at Rs 12.89 lakh (ex showroom, pan-India).1.0 turbo-petrol DCT and 1.5 diesel 6 AT both carry identical prices.
https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...930843567.html
Thanks for the timely update Venkatesh as always. However the article talks about GTX+ in general. Does this mean both the 7DCT and D AT in GTX+ trim will have the same sticker price of 12.89
Old 24th September 2020, 13:18   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Thanks for the timely update Venkatesh as always. However the article talks about GTX+ in general. Does this mean both the 7DCT and D AT in GTX+ trim will have the same sticker price of 12.89
Yes both the 7DCT and D AT carry the same prices, confirmed by Sirish Chandran of Evo India in his tweet

Kia Sonet : Official Review-smartselect_20200924131724_twitter.jpg

https://twitter.com/SirishChandran/s...419963908?s=19
Venkatesh is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 13:39   #306
BHPian

I was reading through the Kia Sonet Brochure and found it surprising that the IMT variant does not have Hill Assist or Hill Hold control. HAC is available only in DCT and the AT. Since IMT is without a clutch, it would be difficult to move the car from a steep slope. Using the parking break and accelerator combination on a fly over with B2B traffic is tedious.
Shrey_1520 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 13:52   #307
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

IMHO, this makes the GTX+ 7DCT look terribly overpriced over the 1.5 Diesel 6 AT, latter being a no-brainer choice to pick at this similar price point.
Old 24th September 2020, 14:32   #308
Senior - BHPian

A rare occasion when the identical (top) trim variant of a car sporting the same set of features has identical prices for both fuel variants - the answer might lie in the more expensive nature of the petrol gearbox. I think a lot of folk will now drop the petrol DCT and think about the diesel torque converter.
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 16:29   #309
Senior - BHPian

Well, the Nexon Diesel XTA+ (O) dual tone is/ was 12.7L ex-showroom and 16.83L on-road in Bangalore, including Extended Warranty, service AMC, blah, etc. The 1.5D Sonet GTX+ dual tone with similar add-ons will breach 17L on road, Bangalore.

But 6 airbags + TC + myriad of tech features and lesser (rear) passenger space in comparison to Nexon, this compact SUV space will be interesting to watch in the coming months.. Nexon however, is a many-times-over proven strongly built vehicle.
k_ajay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 16:35   #310
Senior - BHPian

These subcompact crossovers are encroaching into the Seltos/Creta territory. Begs a question about what does one want as an everyday car for a family of 2, with occasional 4 adults.
fhdowntheline is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 17:57   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
A rare occasion when the identical (top) trim variant of a car sporting the same set of features has identical prices for both fuel variants - the answer might lie in the more expensive nature of the petrol gearbox. I think a lot of folk will now drop the petrol DCT and think about the diesel torque converter.
There are a couple of folks asking the same question on this very thread. Requesting expert advice on this.
Old 24th September 2020, 18:03   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
These subcompact crossovers are encroaching into the Seltos/Creta territory. Begs a question about what does one want as an everyday car for a family of 2, with occasional 4 adults.
My unsolicited 2p.

Apart from the snob value, a bigger car offers more comfort and it generally masks speed better. In city usage I wont say the Sonet would be better than the Seltos as dimensions would not make much if a difference in driving and parking generally as opposed to a Harrier or a Hector.

Ultimately it boils down to individual requirement. Personally for the only car, I would go for a bigger car given the same budget ( City / Duster / Kicks / Rapid AT). And for a second car the Nexon EV would make more sense to me.
400notout is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 18:06   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrey_1520 View Post
Since IMT is without a clutch, it would be difficult to move the car from a steep slope.
You just need to give more throttle input in such a situation and may need to use the parking brake too simultaneously. Once you engage the first gear, IMT would anyways modulate clutch for you and you just need to give sufficient throttle depending on the situation. If a braking aid is really needed to prevent roll back, other technique is to keep left foot on the brake and right one on throttle. But don't try this unless you've practised it enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrey_1520 View Post
Using the parking break and accelerator combination on a fly over with B2B traffic is tedious.
On a moderate slope, the creep function in IMT should be good enough to prevent a roll back and you can still use the brake and accelerator instead of hand brake.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 24th September 2020 at 18:19.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 18:19   #314

The prices of sonet gtx+ autos are out at 12.9. Just like some other bhpians on this thread I’m also confused on which one to pick. Initially we Pre-booked gtx+ dct before the prices were out. Having driven both the petrol imt and diesel auto, I can say the diesel auto feels like a pocket rocket. My family has never really owned a diesel car because monthly running is almost 10k kms. Now since the turbo petrol dct and diesel auto are priced at 12.9. Does it make sense to go for diesel auto even if the car will be used mostly by my mom and for city purposes? We tend to keep our cars for 10 years (i10 1.1 2008 has done 12 now) and don’t really care about mileage that much, but 10-11 would be nice. Now the reason we are confused right now is because we don’t know how to own and maintain diesels. Does the bs6 diesel cars require special maintenance and will the cost of maintenance be more than turbo petrol?. Will diesel Auto hold up for 10 years? I would like some of the experienced members to give me feedback on this.
SunjamSingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 18:37   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
A rare occasion when the identical (top) trim variant of a car sporting the same set of features has identical prices for both fuel variants - the answer might lie in the more expensive nature of the petrol gearbox.
The identical price should be due to the combination of the technologically advanced turbo GDi motor and the DCT gearbox.

A similar trend of exorbitant premium for the turbo motors was seen earlier too with the Baleno RS (Rs.1.5L over the 1.2L N/A) and Ecosport 1.0 as well.

But, a identical pricing for diesel and petrol (both automatic) definitely leaves the customer in a tough situation.
The slim gap between diesel and petrol fuel price can support the choice of GDi motor. But, for general public, the torque coverter and the adequately powered CRDi motor is more than sufficient.
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks