Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2021, 10:49   #76
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Launched at 7.74 lakh

Source: Autocar India

The Tata Altroz iTurbo has launched in India, with prices ranging between Rs 7.74-8.86 lakh (introductory, ex-showroom, Delhi). Tata offers the Altroz iTurbo in three variants – XT, XZ and the new top-spec XZ+ variant. Moreover, the automaker has also added the XZ+ trim le lovel to the naturally-aspirated petrol and turbo-diesel line-up of the Altroz.

Tata AltroziTurbo priced between Rs 7.74-8.86 lakh
Costs about Rs 60,000-75,000 more than the naturally aspirated petrol Altroz
The Altroz is now the most affordable turbo-petrol premium hatchback
Tata Altroz iTurbo variants
While the standard petrol and diesel Altroz are now available in a total of seven and six variants, respectively – not including the dual-tone versions and optional packages like Rhythm, Style, Luxe and Urban– the turbo-petrol version is just available in the three higher trims.

Prices for the Altroz iTurbo start Rs 2.04 lakh higher than the equivalent naturally aspirated petrol variant, and end Rs 60,000 higher. Along with the additional 24hp and 27Nm of torque, and a new Sport drive mode for the engine, Altroz iTurbo variants are also equipped slightly differently.

The Altroz iTurbo XT misses out on the larger 16-inch steel wheels available on the standard XT variant and makes do with 14-inch units. The iTurbo XZ gets a contrast roof as standard (the standard XZ gets it as an optional extra), and the XZ and XZ+ get an eight-speaker Harman audio system, which is a step-up from the 6-speaker set-up in the standard XZ and XZ+ trims.

As we had reported at the unveiling of the iTurbo, Tata has introduced a the new range-topping XZ+ variant to the premium hatchback’s line-up, adding its iRA connected car tech, leatherette seat covers, rear fog lamps and an express cool function for the climate control system to the Altroz’s long list of equipment.

Tata Altroz iTurbo vs rivals: Price
Considering the Altroz iTurbo costs between Rs 7.74-8.86 lakh, starting prices for Tata’s turbocharged premium hatchback undercut its direct rivals.

The Volkswagen Polo, which comes with VW’s award-winning 110hp 1.0-litre TSI unit, is priced at Rs 8.34 lakh in manual form. Meanwhile, the 120hp i20 turbo, which is available with a 6-speed iMT (Hyundai’s ‘clutchless manual’ transmission), is currently priced at Rs 8.80-10.05 lakh*. To find out how well the Altroz iTurbo fares in comparison to its rivals, on features and specifications, click here.

However, the Polo and i20 have an advantage over the Altroz as they both come with an automatic gearbox option – a 6-speed torque convertor for the VW and a 7-speed dual-clutch for the Hyundai. Tata is working on introducing a dual-clutch auto-equipped Altroz in the coming months, though an exact timeline is yet to be confirmed.

Prices, ex-showroom, pan-India

*Ex-showroom, Delhi
Avinash_R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 10:53   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
Thanks Bagheera. When you say, the diameter remains same, I am a bit confused. The R14 means 14 inch and 16 means 16 inch. How is the diameter same. Am I missing something ?
You can compare tire sizes over here :
https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Basically by overall diameter rim diameter and sidewall widthe of tyre is included. Generally a variation of +/- 3% is only recommended. Also legally you can only upgrade to the tyre size specifications of the top variant.

You can learn more info about tyre upgrade from the relevant tbhp thread here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...-your-car.html (READ FIRST: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car)
Old 23rd January 2021, 10:55   #78
OSH
BHPian

Tata is on a hunting spree, just a 60k premuim for a turbo charged engine is simply WOW. I hope this helps them to keep their number 3 position for good now. With the upcoming DCT combo, this car can now cater to a wide group of people.

Now I am even more excited to know how the new Safari is going to be priced.

PS. has anyone else noticed that Tata always gets their blue colour shades just right. Be it their entry level hatch or flagship SUV, the blue shade always gets people talking.

Last edited by OSH : 23rd January 2021 at 11:20.
OSH is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:20   #79
Team-BHP Support

Tata Motors has launched the Altroz i-Turbo in India. The car is priced between Rs. 7.74 lakh - Rs. 8.86 lakh.

The Altroz i-Turbo is powered by a 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder, turbocharged petrol engine that produces 109 BHP @ 5,500 rpm and 140 Nm @ 1,500- 5,500 rpm. The engine has two drive modes - City and Sport and is mated to a 5-speed manual transmission.

The Altroz i-Turbo is available in three variants - XT, XZ and XZ+. Tata has introduced a new Harbour Blue colour for all variants of the Altroz from the XM+ upwards. The turbo-petrol version comes with an i-Turbo badge on the hatch. On the inside, the Altroz gets a black and light grey interior theme and perforated leatherette seats.

The infotainment system of the Altroz comes with iRA (Intelligent Real time Assist) that has 27 connected car features along with natural voice tech, through which the car understands commands in English, Hindi and Hinglish. It also gets What 3 Words navigation and a personalized wallpaper feature for the touchscreen. The car also gets a one-touch up function for the driver's power window and an Xpress Cool feature for the climate control system which is claimed to cool the interiors up to 70% faster.

Tata Motors has also added a new top of the line XZ+ variant in a petrol and diesel versions of the Altroz.

Prices:

Altroz i-Turbo

• XT - Rs. 7,73,500
  • XZ - Rs. 8,45,500
  • XZ+ - Rs. 8,85,500

Altroz Petrol

• XZ+ - Rs. 8,25,500

Altroz Diesel

• XZ+ - Rs. 9,45,500

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd January 2021 at 13:53.
Aditya is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:27   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

In my opinion, it is overpriced by a bit.

The XZ+ should have matched Polo 1.0 tsi highline+. Polo highline plus is priced almost 50k lower than the Altroz xz+ iTurbo. While one can argue the altroz is safer and packs more features and practicality, it no more is value for money.

With just 60000 rupee difference with the diesel variant, no justification is there to opt for the 3 pot turbo petrol.

The diesel is punchy, more refined and will surely be 5kmpl more efficient in the same running conditions.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 23rd January 2021 at 11:30.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:37   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
With just 60000 rupee difference with the diesel variant, no justification is there to opt for the 3 pot turbo petrol.

The diesel is punchy, more refined and will surely be 5kmpl more efficient in the same running conditions.
But there are a large portion of buyers looking exclusively for Petrol versions, for whom Diesel is not even an option.
So, that would mean better margins even if it sell lesser.
A lot of new car buyers, are opting for petrol cars. For some its because they might not use it daily, younsters are also more environmentally conscious, for some it might just be budget constraints, and some people like my father just don't like the clatter of diesel engines
ZenMaster is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:39   #82

Quote:
Thanks Bagheera. When you say, the diameter remains same, I am a bit confused. The R14 means 14 inch and 16 means 16 inch. How is the diameter same. Am I missing something?
Here is a calculator that might help you choose the correct size.
https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Otherwise, just go with the tyre and rim size on the higher varient.

Quote:
Thanks for the update. For iturbo, the models are xt , xz , xz+. Which among the above table in their website maps to turbo models ?

How to differentiate between NA and iTurbo?
I was also confused at first glance and was expecting iTurbo in the name but, Tata seem to have gone with calling it TC i.e. Turbo-Charged.

So TC ones are iTurbo ones.
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:41   #83
Senior - BHPian

Great pricing imo.

I20 turbo dct costs a good 11.4 L ex showroom.
If we assume a 1 lakh premium for dct the Altroz dct would cost a good 1.5 L less than I20. Translating to nearly 2L difference in OTR price.
07CR is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:45   #84
Senior - BHPian

Here’s how the Altroz iTurbo stacks up against the other turbo-petrol hatches in the segment.

Source - EvoIndia
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-tata.jpg  

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 23rd January 2021 at 11:46.
RM Motorsports is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:48   #85
Senior - BHPian

Turbocharged petrol premium hatchbacks comparison

Old 23rd January 2021, 11:49   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
and some people like my father just don't like the clatter of diesel engines
Diesel engines have come a long way! There isn't much difference between Altroz petrol and diesel when it comes to NVH
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:56   #87
BHPian

Quote:
In my opinion, it is overpriced by a bit.

Altroz Diesel XZ - 8.85 ex-showroom

Altroz i-Turbo XZ- 8.45 ex- showroom

With a difference of mere 40k between the XZ variants, the diesel surely seems to be a better buy.
ATRONIX is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:58   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Diesel engines have come a long way! There isn't much difference between Altroz petrol and diesel when it comes to NVH
True, its more of a mental satisfaction thing. He's been driving around 25 years and all he has driven are smooth petrol engines in the Middle East. Our 1st car was a 92 model Honda Civic and the second car was a Chevy Lumina( which is a badge engineered Holden Commodore 1999 model) with a beautiful 3.6 litre V6 under the hood. So its understandable why he is averse to Diesel engines.

Last edited by ZenMaster : 23rd January 2021 at 12:00. Reason: Adding context
ZenMaster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 12:15   #89
BHPian

New price list of Tata Altroz
Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-img_20210123_121440.jpg
ATRONIX is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 12:50   #90
BHPian

Fantastic Pricing by Tata! To get a Turbo Charger, slightly better looking interior for 60k over the NA version is fabulous IMHO. Also, introduction of DCT wouldn't really hurt the pricing by too much in comparison to is rivals. It's Advantage Altroz.
Flash777 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed