Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2021, 16:54   #121
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 72
Thanked: 238 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review



Watched this Fortuner review by Gagan. Feel free to disagree with me but these are good examples of why one should only trust Team-BHP reviews. These are what I observed from his review (Apologies for the sarcasm)

1. He borrowed the car from gaadiwaadi.com owner Gaurav so no funding from Toyota for reviewing the car. Obviously, no brownie points to Toyota from Gagan like Hyundai gets from him.

2. Starts off with the statement 'Doesn't make any sense to buy this car'. Nice start dude, definitely not biased. Apparently, people buy Toyota Fortuner because of the name only otherwise it doesn't make sense to buy it over competitors.

3. At 10:56, mentions 'Toyota reliability is only limited to mechanicals' only because the connected car app Carot sucks big time. I guess since Carot doesn't work, all Toyota electricals must be unreliable. Yes I saw the :P sign but I can understand the message he wants to send to his viewers.

4. He is 5'8 and didn't find front seats big enough. He couldn't stop drooling over Creta seat comfort. I guess I need to ask my 6'2 friend not to even stand near my Fortuner.

5. Seat ventilation makes noise. But forgot to mention if it is good or bad, especially compared to Creta's 'amazing' ventilated seats?

6. Sports mode feels 'little' more powerful. In fact he completely ignores the engine's power and torque which is the major advantage of this Fortuner. At one point mentions that engine feels struggling in city due to grunt noise but it's not actually struggling only sounds like it.

7. Don't know from where he got the data that city mileage is 6-7 kmpl. Probably confused with Endeavour's 3.2. The screenshot is from Cardekho's latest mileage test. They need to change the numbers based on Sir Gagan's analysis.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-screenshot-20210428-16.28.32.png

8. Fortuner is very tiring to drive in the city. I guess Innova Crysta too because Toyota won't pay for that review as well.

9. Braking on highways is bad and not good for emergencies. In Gaadiwaadi breaking test video, Endeavour and Fortuner were very close but Endeavour clearly edging out. But Gagan knows better.

10. When everything is bad, why will he leave the suspension part - the disadvantage of Fortuner.

11. Didn't understand the point of his so-called 'off-roading'.

12. Overpriced because of lack of features but people buy for the name. I mean who doesn't look throwing their money away on inferior products.

13. Probably mentioned 'Alturas is better' more number of times than the number of Alturas Mahindra sold this year.

14. He recommends buying Endeavour when Ford comes up with better engine option. He should have said that when Endy had it's 3.2, probably Ford would have beaten Toyota finally. He seems to prefer buying Alturas as well even if it goes out of production.

In short - electricals are bad, breaks are bad, switches are bad, interior is bad, seats are bad, engine (what's that), suspension is bad, boot space ok shayad, AC performance (ignore, we are not here to praise anything), sound quality (let's ignore that too), mileage is bad. I guess the dude couldn't even tolerate standing near such a pathetic car. He didn't even try to be subtle when he decided to just defame the car no matter what. I read somewhere he's starting a new organization kind of thing with other 'genuine' reviewers like Faisal. I would say match made in heaven.

For marketing purpose, I think Toyota needs to spend a couple of lakhs like MG, Hyundai and others do so that these 'reviewers' can also start drooling before the car is even launched. For prospective buyers, wait for Team-BHP's official reviews if want to see some honest opinion.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th April 2021 at 17:35. Reason: Endy = Endeavour. No acronyms please. Thank You.
Technic90 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 20:04   #122
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 63
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic90 View Post
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=zf0D3CJBt4U

Watched this Fortuner review by Gagan. Feel free to disagree with me but these are good examples of why one should only trust Team-BHP reviews. These are what I observed from his review (Apologies for the sarcasm)
You are spot on. I thought the same after watching this review this afternoon and commented the same under the video to which he replied with some smiley emojis. I found the review really useless and biased against the Fortuner and stopped watching before he was to begin with the city driving part. Well, regarding the engine performance part, he rarely provides any useful insight regarding the performance of the cars, this is where Faisal Khan(another Indian POV vlogger) outshines him.
asm3899_CHD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 20:19   #123
Kln
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 48
Thanked: 260 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic90 View Post
Gagan is one of the more neutral reviewers on youtube. The fact that Toyota didn't provide him with a media car is actually a plus point in my eyes. He's less likely to be biased.

Yes, the app didn't work. You can't deny it. It's a negative point and Gagan went very easy on it. I would've expected him to trash it more actually.

I don't see him comparing it with Creta, and logically so because it isn't even the same segment. He's constantly comparing with other segment cars like Alturas, Endeavour, Gloster. It's a very practical review. His inputs help you make a choice from the available options. Taste is subjective - he may like the seating position of one car and not like it in another.

The ride quality of Fortuner is awful, and it is universally mentioned across all reviews. I don't see how this should be any different.

Anyway.
Most of your gripes sound like Gagan is not the channel for you, and that's fine. However calling him all the things you've called him is unfair, in my humble opinion.

TBHP - "All reviewers are just the same cut copy paste guys with no relevant material"

Also TBHP - "How dare a reviewer have a different opinion than mine! I am going to close my ears and listen to only my echo chamber!"

Last edited by GTO : 30th April 2021 at 07:31. Reason: Please be calm, polite & respectful even in debate. STRICTLY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS or rude posts on Team-BHP
Kln is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 20:26   #124
Senior - BHPian
 
Parm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in a Toyota!
Posts: 2,739
Thanked: 751 Times
Default Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Fortuner was a nice looking good muscular boy, till they messed it up in 2021!

That is how I can sum up the 2021 Fortuner. They even made in 2WD.

I'm glad I still holding on to my 2013 4.0 V6 old school Fortuner. I don't think I will ever buy this girlish looking wanna be Lexus Fortuner.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th April 2021 at 19:43. Reason: Gender comparison
Parm is offline  
Old 28th April 2021, 21:59   #125
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 72
Thanked: 238 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
It's good to move out of your bubble at times. Gagan is one of the more neutral reviewers on Youtube. The fact that Toyota didn't provide him with a media car is actually a plus point in my eyes. He's less likely to be biased.
When a carmaker doesn't provide media drives, funds travel, hotel costs and some 'goodwill money', reviewers like him decide to pull down the brand to show others in good light which offered those privileges. It's funny you think he is unbiased. His opening line was 'It doesn't make any sense to buy this car'. That says everything about him. Never seen any reviews start like that especially for a successful model like Fortuner. Team-BHP official reviews always have a nice list of Pros and Cons for every car. Gagan will have a list of only Cons for Fortuner. If the car is that bad like he suggested, then the market must be stupid for buying it for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
Yes, the app didn't work. You can't deny it. It's a negative point and Gagan went very easy on it. I would've expected him to trash it more actually.
Since the app didn't work, Toyota electricals are not reliable? Nice logic. And where did I deny the fact that the Carot app is crap. Maybe try not assuming stuff. I have used the app and it's nonsense. Gagan clearly used this example to imply Toyota reliability is a myth. I have seen off late many people doing that since that's the only way you can finally put a stop on Fortuner and Innova, since cheaper price and more features doesn't seem to be working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
I don't see him comparing it with Creta, and logically so because it isn't even the same segment. He's constantly comparing with other segment cars like Alturas, Endeavour, Gloster. It's a very practical review. His inputs help you make a choice from the available options. Taste is subjective - he may like the seating position of one car and not like it in another.
I compared his Creta review with this review. It is pretty clear in every Hyundai review he brags as if they make the best car in the world. If I am not wrong, he owns a Hyundai. If you found Creta seats super comfortable and not Fortuner then either you have a problem or those lakhs of Fortuner owners across the world do. By the way he didn't say seating position is bad, he said seats are not adequate which means he's implying the size of them.

Yes he should compare Fortuner with its competitors. Endeavour, Gloster, Alturas have better interiors. Agreed, but what about engine performance? Ignore that point completely because Fortuner beats everyone hands down? Hiding the advantages and highlighting the flaws is not a practical review, it's a biased one and in my opinion, it won't help any prospective buyers make a good decision. He's the first person I have seen who basically played down the Sports mode. If you haven't driven the new Fortuner, please drive the Sports mode and let me know if it makes 'little' difference to performance. It is obvious he purposely ignored the performance aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
The ride quality of Fortuner is awful, and it is universally mentioned across all reviews. I don't see how this should be any different.
I don't find the ride awful but I find the ride quality not as good as others and I myself called suspension the disadvantage of Fortuner in my post. Won't argue that you find it awful nor did I criticise your friend for pointing that out. I simply said why would he leave this one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
Anyway.
Most of your gripes sound like Gagan is not the channel for you, and that's fine. However calling him all the things you've called him is unfair, in my humble opinion.

TBHP - "All reviewers are just the same cut copy paste guys with no relevant material"

Also TBHP - "How dare a reviewer have a different opinion than mine! I am going to close my ears and listen to only my echo chamber!"
You seem to be having issues with comprehending posts and assuming new stuff. I didn't say Gagan should stop reviewing cars nor I called him names, sure I was sarcastic about his views. I didn't even say how dare he have a different opinion. Please let me know which sentence of mine made you feel that. I simply found his reviews clearly biased against Toyota for which I laid out my reasons. You disagree with it and find Gagan the epitome of automobile reviewers, it's fine. But I stand by my view that this was a clearly biased review meant to only pull down Fortuner. As an individual, I can not judge which is the best car in a segment, but the market can and it has for more than a decade. If everything was wrong with Fortuner then the market would have ended its journey like it did for Alturas.

By the way, I didn't find your feedback on his breaking test and mileage for which I provided the proof on how Gagan lied through his teeth.

Before you start assuming again, I am not offended that you don't agree with me or the fact that you like Gagan. It's alright, you can hate Fortuner as much as him.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th April 2021 at 19:42. Reason: Please keep things cordial
Technic90 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 22:08   #126
Senior - BHPian
 
CEF_Beasts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 5,397 Times
Default Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
It's good to move out of your bubble at times. Gagan is one of the more neutral reviewers on Youtube.

Agreed he is one of the best reviewers out there, but on few points I will have to disagree!

Quote:
Yes, the app didn't work. You can't deny it. It's a negative point and Gagan went very easy on it. I would've expected him to trash it more actually.
All these apps are very similar, if you remember even the UVO app by Kia was really buggy in the early days, they have improved it over a year now. This Toyota's first attempt at connected car tech, Toyota is never tech-savvy and it can be seen here as well since they have outsourced it. Let it settle down a bit and it will surely improve.

Quote:
I don't see him comparing it with Creta, and logically so because it isn't even the same segment. He's constantly comparing with other segment cars like Alturas, Endeavour, Gloster. It's a very practical review. His inputs help you make a choice from the available options. Taste is subjective - he may like the seating position of one car and not like it in another.
What @Technic90 means here is that in his Creta review he enjoyed using the ventilated seats which I also found were a bit noisy whereas here for the Toyota he didn't mention whether they work properly just that they are noisy.

Quote:
The ride quality of Fortuner is awful, and it is universally mentioned across all reviews. I don't see how this should be any different.
Agreed, this is universally accepted and Gagan wasn't wrong here.
Also he forgot to mention how was the engine completely! His reviews are usually top class but this one atleast I didn't find upto the mark in terms of depth which his videos usually have. And this was his first 2nd Gen Fortuner review so differences might be there.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 28th April 2021 at 22:11.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 23:16   #127
Kln
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 48
Thanked: 260 Times
Default Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic90 View Post
Before you start assuming again, I am not offended that you don't agree with me or the fact that you like Gagan. It's alright, you can hate Fortuner as much as him.

Quite the contrary! It's my dream ride. Anyway, you clearly have very strong opinions on him, so I'm signing out of this conversation.
Kln is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 09:22   #128
BHPian
 
venkyhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: hump city
Posts: 825
Thanked: 2,454 Times
Default Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

why is a 3rd party reviewer being discussed here ?
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 10:51   #129
BHPian
 
ulhas.ahirrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 206
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic90 View Post

Watched this Fortuner review by Gagan. Feel free to disagree with me but these are good examples of why one should only trust Team-BHP reviews. These are what I observed from his review (Apologies for the sarcasm)
Having taken a test drive of Fortuner multiple times recently, I agree with his views.

It is a grossly overpriced car where Toyota is milking the customer big time, it's their Cash Cow!
ulhas.ahirrao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 11:22   #130
Senior - BHPian
 
PrideRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: BLR/PTR
Posts: 2,418
Thanked: 5,646 Times
Default Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao View Post
Having taken a test drive of Fortuner multiple times recently, I agree with his views.

It is a grossly overpriced car where Toyota is milking the customer big time, it's their Cash Cow!
The difference between competition and Fortuner 4x4 AT is now 2-3L OTR and for 4x2 AT its about 1.5L. Despite offering more features, dynamics and other bells and whistles, wondering why manufacturers have priced them cheaper and still don't sell as much. I am sure the none of the manufacturer is here for charity. Fortuner, Endeavour and Gloster all have their strengths and weakness, no car here tops the charts in all areas. Fortunately(Unfortunate for some) majority of the market finds value in what Fortuner offers despite spending 2 Lac more. For a person who bought Alturas, Gloster is overpriced, and Endeavour is overpriced for a person who bought Gloster. I can say an Iphone, Balmain or a lunch at Taj is overpriced but ask one who bought it or looking forward to buy, there are no regrets. When something is successful there will be hate and I can understand.
PrideRed is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 11:38   #131
BHPian
 
sid_deb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NCR
Posts: 184
Thanked: 418 Times
Default Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Fortuner was a nice looking good muscular boy, till they dressed it up like a Girl in 2021!

That is how I can sum up the 2021 Fortuner. They even made in 2WD.

I'm glad i still holding on to my 2013 4.0 V6 old school Fortuner. I dont think i will ever buy this girlish looking wanna be Lexus Fortuner.
This is an interesting observation.

With all due respect, I am actually happy to see some diversity if there is really a gender switch. As they say, why should boys have all the fun
sid_deb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 12:20   #132
Senior - BHPian
 
getsurya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,508
Thanked: 1,419 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
The difference between competition and Fortuner 4x4 AT is now 2-3L OTR and for 4x2 AT its about 1.5L. Despite offering more features, dynamics and other bells and whistles, wondering why manufacturers have priced them cheaper and still don't sell as much. I am sure the none of the manufacturer is here for charity. Fortuner, Endeavour and Gloster all have their strengths and weakness, no car here tops the charts in all areas. Fortunately(Unfortunate for some) majority of the market finds value in what Fortuner offers despite spending 2 Lac more. For a person who bought Alturas, Gloster is overpriced, and Endeavour is overpriced for a person who bought Gloster. I can say an Iphone, Balmain or a lunch at Taj is overpriced but ask one who bought it or looking forward to buy, there are no regrets. When something is successful there will be hate and I can understand.
Completely agree with PrideRed!! Choice is person dependant, no one is forcing anyone to buy a product versus other.

When Ford fanboys like me and Ecosport rules can turn to plonk our monies into a Toyota fortuner, it says a lot about our critic mindset and the trust imposed in the car. Having the new Fortuner 2021 model now for last 3+ months, you have to drive it to note the differences and the improvements. These YouTube reviewers don't know the basics and try to preach the people!!
getsurya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 12:53   #133
Senior - BHPian
 
CEF_Beasts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 5,397 Times
Default Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao View Post
Having taken a test drive of Fortuner multiple times recently, I agree with his views.

It is a grossly overpriced car where Toyota is milking the customer big time, it's their Cash Cow!
According to you what should be the price of the Fortuner? If it would have been cheaper than the Endeavour, the Endeavour would have been dead. Toyota has actually given Ford some breathing space to price it accordingly. And fyi, Ford has had the Endeavour in the Indian market longer than Toyota has had the Fortuner.

The difference lies where Toyota got a butch SUV in 2009 and it hit the right chord, Ford was able to replicate it in 2015 with the 2nd gen Endeavour. So for Toyota they had set the bar high in 2009 itself and then there was no looking back.

Toyota has the better dealer network, highest customer satisfaction, one of the better service quality if not the best. At the end of the day someone spending above Rs 40 Lakh needs a good backing by the company.

Nothing wrong with Ford but you can’t be taking decisions every 6 months to delete features, increasing and decreasing prices. This makes people believe that the company doesn’t trust their product themselves.

We are a group of car enthusiasts on Team-BHP, detailed reviews itself give a good idea about the product. Not everyone are enthusiasts so they see what other people are buying and go blindly for it. For eg: Someone in my society picked up the facelifted Fortuner, so I asked him whether he checked the Endeavour out as well? His answer was “No I didn’t check the Endeavour out because I trust Toyota more with my ₹40Lakhs than Ford, which doesn’t even have a showroom in South Mumbai and suburbs as well.” Mind you he owns an EcoSport as well.

Similarly Alturas has the best interior quality, Gloster the best space. So every car in the segment has something better than the other and something not as good. So especially in this full-size SUV segment, no car can be termed as the Best.

Anyways not everyone likes everything, competition is what makes someone/a company better .

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 29th April 2021 at 12:56.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 13:12   #134
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 63
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Fortuner is a great car, no doubt about it. The only downside is lack of a sunroof and stiff ride. Ford Endeavour is a great value for money car but ask the majority of people who owned previous generation Endeavour. I know many people in my circle who owned the previous generation Endeavour and when it was time for replacement, they bought the new Fortuner without even taking a test drive of the new Endeavour. Although, I strongly believe that this new generation Endeavour is a great car and is reliable too unlike the previous generation model. My friend has a 2017 3.2 and the car has done over 140k Kms without any major issues and no major service crossing the 30k mark.
asm3899_CHD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 13:55   #135
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Aligarh
Posts: 4
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Well, I can see a lot of discussion going on about Gagan Chaudhary review. Watched it yesterday and wrote in public comments that seems like He personally dislikes Toyota or Fortuner or Both

I am driving it for the last 2 months and seriously I disagree to majority of his dislikes and false facts about Fortuner.
I am getting 12+ FE in eco mode in City + night drives conditions. That data is after more than 1000 kms. And he is saying 6-7
Driver seat comfort and ventilated seats are above average. And he is criticizing so much.
There are so many misleading facts which actually Fortuner 2021 owner can't take in so easily.
Its bad to see a reviewer misguide on his channel about the most proven SUV in this price segment in India, south east and even in Australia.
I do agree their are few misses by Toyota in Features department. But thats Ok.

When you buy 40L+ car, you need reliability from Brand and product for atleast 5-7 years. Which in unmatchable with Toyota.

And the best part. Even He knows the Fanclub of this Beast. He ended his review sayin ‘ LENGE TO AAP FORTUNER HI’

Seems like he is paid for this anti Fortuner review.

Mod Note : Post Edited.


u = you. No acronyms / short forms or SMS language is permitted.

Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 29th April 2021 at 14:52. Reason: Mod note attached.
AmitR is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks