Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2022, 08:15   #2371
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post

PS. - That point about 'touching up' the audio to deliberately make the noises seem louder than they are - in a way, you're questioning my integrity there!
This was not the intent at all, mate. In fact, I had not specifically followed the details of your experience at all and was speaking generally about the topic. I would certainly never challenge a fellow forum member in that way. Apologies if it came across that way.

I was generally referring to the unscientific nature of the squeak test and how it could be subjected to manipulation in the hands of the self-professed new age YouTube auto journalists. Unlike you, many of them don't even own the car and don't have to live with the issues. There are at least half a dozen videos of the Kushaq dashboard squeak videos on YouTube as an example! If I were a Seltos salesperson, I just need show my prospective customer who is also considering the Kushaq, a few of these videos to close the sale. It is easy to convince a lay buyer, who is not an auto enthusiast this way.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 14th February 2022 at 08:19.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 12:03   #2372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuvamBansal View Post
Hello Everyone.

We are looking to buy a new car and seriously looking at Skoda Kushaq as our next ride. Requesting views of the current owners on it. Below are the details on our requirements and reasons (and apprehensions) for zeroing on Kushaq.
Hopefully this helps. I had made it while looking for a car since I wanted to take the decision objectively, eventually ended up buying the Kushaq. Feel free to modify the ratings based on your requirements, add more parameters or cars to it
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Car Matrix.xlsx (80.1 KB, 245 views)

Last edited by amey027 : 14th February 2022 at 12:08.
amey027 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 13:56   #2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManOfMuscle View Post
Did he end up buying from that dealer? What was the color of the car that was offered to your friend? Was it a style variant or an ambition? And what color had they originally ordered? This information would help a lot as I just dealt with this dealer.
Yes, he did pick up the car from the dealer. It was a White Ambition model, which is what they had ordered too. It's been running fine so far.
rohanjt96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 13:59   #2374
BHPian

Quote:

Strange man. Strange man, indeed. Objectivity is certainly not one of his strong points.
I didn't get his logic. So you paid 20l for a car, and then do propaganda against it? How does that even work?
Old 14th February 2022, 14:19   #2375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
I didn't get his logic. So you paid 20l for a car, and then do propaganda against it? How does that even work?
You are mistaken. He was defending it to no end.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 14:27   #2376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I was generally referring to the unscientific nature of the squeak test and how it could be subjected to manipulation in the hands of the self-professed new age YouTube auto journalists. Unlike you, many of them don't even own the car and don't have to live with the issues. There are at least half a dozen videos of the Kushaq dashboard squeak videos on YouTube as an example!
And my apologies in turn for taking your points as a direct reference to what I was highlighting. All iz well. What you've mentioned is the root cause of the negative publicity against the Kushaq in social media. As someone who had a legitimate reason or two to raise a voice, I think highlighting concerns is the right of any customer/owner. When everyone else decides to join in for other reasons, things get murky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amey027 View Post
Hopefully this helps. I had made it while looking for a car since I wanted to take the decision objectively, eventually ended up buying the Kushaq. Feel free to modify the ratings based on your requirements, add more parameters or cars to it
OMG! What a fantastic way to put together dat for an in-depth comparo! Bravo! You really need to consider making this a handy mobile app of some sort

Last edited by Vid6639 : 14th February 2022 at 16:18. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
rideon74 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 15:54   #2377
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

But does this mean that those of us in the minority (with the minor/major issues) should stay silent to avoid being ridiculed as OCDs or have their genuine concerns get labeled as 'trivial'?

Anyways, me speaking up to get heard by Skoda has borne good results. I waited for a week since I got my Kushaq back from the SVC after they'd rectified the niggles I'd reported on. And I thought it warranted a feedback video. I am extremely happy with how SGA cars, Coimbatore has done a good job this time around and I have no qualms in giving credits where it's due in my video.
Hi rideon74 - Happy to know that your issues are solved. I can imagine what you would have underwent. I am not getting into 'Fans Vs Bashers' discussion but I believe it is the right thing to post our experiences which will help us as well others.

On interiors, like hard or cheap plastics, fit & finish, one can always experience it and make an informed decision about the car purchase. However quality of internals will only be known during ageing and usage. So your experience is very valuable info as I don't have high running of my cars like you. I am inching closer to 500 Kms and thoroughly enjoying the car till now.

Wishing you many more happy miles and keep posting!!!
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 21:14   #2378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
I'd advise you to have a look at the Taigun as well. It's 1.0 topline MT might just fit your budget (16l hard limit) after some haggling. I personally found it's cabin to be better appointed than the kushaq. Again, you, can't go wrong with either of these 2 at 16l.
Thanks for your reply. Will definitely check out Taigun as well. However, due to budget we have decided to settle for the mid variant of either of these two.
I am hoping the reliability of both will be exactly same since both are the same product. Am I missing something?

Quote:
Thanks a lot mate. This simplifies everything. You made our task much easier.
Will let you know what we decide on. Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 00:04   #2379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuvamBansal View Post
Thanks for your reply. Will definitely check out Taigun as well. However, due to budget we have decided to settle for the mid variant of either of these two.
I am hoping the reliability of both will be exactly same since both are the same product. Am I missing something?
Since coming from a sedan why aren't you looking at Slavia? You would be getting a bigger booth than the Kushaq, the car being a sedan would feel more planted while driving , and if you worry about ground clearance then Slavia has 179 mm vs Kushaq's 189 mm, just 10 mm less!

The car is gonna cost less than kushaq and being a newer product will have lesser issues and better quality of parts. Do take a look at the car before making your purchase.
yesyeswe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 00:55   #2380
BHPian

TSI engine needs break in? Few people suggesting to keep RPM below 2000 for first 1500 km
Old 15th February 2022, 08:26   #2381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hopefully this helps.
This doesn't work, some gibberish is there. Does it work only on laptop?

Skoda Kushaq Review-screenshot_20220215082653.jpg
Old 15th February 2022, 09:21   #2382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto1212 View Post
TSI engine needs break in? Few people suggesting to keep RPM below 2000 for first 1500 km
That's a good question there! It would be best if you'd refer to page 10 of the owner's manual and use that info balancing the road & traffic conditions you drive in.

Name:  Skoda initial runin.png
Views: 985
Size:  132.3 KB

If you're in the mood for a bit of reading, here's some info I'd gathered from the net before my switch to TSi engines after many years of TDi and VTG mills:

These days engines are mostly made by robots, which have a massively more precise output and are also infinitely more conforming. Everything is built to such fine tolerances that the engine is perfectly 'just so' right from the factory. Because of this, many brands these days don't have any special running in procedure. They just advise customers to drive like normal and forget about it, and that certainly doesn't seem to cause any real problems.

But VAG (including Skoda) do still include running-in advice and as such it'd be prudent to follow it. Regardless of what the Internet says, the people who designed and built your engine are likely the ones who know how best to treat it. That said, the manuals are not exactly clear or detailed - especially when it comes to the topic of running-in. The guidelines are very general & open to interpretation.

Generally speaking though, the manual's suggestion involves not exceeding 3/4 of the rev range for the first 1000km and then progressively increasing the revs (including, shortly, trips to the red line when warm). The manual also advises not using full throttle and as we know: do not labour the engine at too low revs.

This makes sense, as the end result is a drive that allows the new engine to warm up, and then uses most of its rev range to help 'stretch in' the new engine and its many components.

You're not just bedding in one thing, but rather thousands of complex moving components, all mated together 'just so'. Luckily, due to the aforementioned excellent manufacturing processes you won't find lots of swarf in your oil any more, and a running in oil change is no longer mandated. Your engine, regardless of how well built, is still a new beast however - and still requires some TLC.

Some points of note:

1. Make sure the oil is up to operating temperature before you start increasing the revs past around 2,500rpm.

2. That said, once the car is warm don't be scared to use the engine. The worst thing you can do is 'baby' it and just drive it everywhere on the low end torque, never seeing over 2,000rpm. This will be almost guaranteed to cause you problems with seating the new piston rings and can cause issues with oil consumption in the future.

3. As per the manual, vary the revs. Your new engine will still be 'tight', and that is something you will physically feel as you start to explore the rev range over the weeks and even months after acquiring your new car. For example, there will be a slight resistance/hesitancy/flat spot in the power when you reach (for example) 3000 or 4000rpm. This is the engine resisting itself and a manifestation of the parts claiming their space and rubbing up against each other under high load for the first time(s). Gently push through it, but gradually.

4. Once you get past about 1000km you can consider the car mostly run-in according to the manual. At this stage, if you have managed to restrain yourself thus far (most of us can't!) you can start to push further up the rev range. Perhaps 5000rpm when accelerating, before dropping into a higher gear for cruising & then 5500rpm or 6000rpm the next time and so on.

5. Drive away soon after starting the engine & the initial warm up sounds subside - never leave it idling for more a minute or two (depending on how cold the weather is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Hi rideon74 - Happy to know that your issues are solved...On interiors, like hard or cheap plastics, fit & finish, one can always experience it and make an informed decision about the car purchase. However quality of internals will only be known during ageing and usage. So your experience is very valuable info as I don't have high running of my cars like you. I am inching closer to 500 Kms and thoroughly enjoying the car till now.
Hi there & thanks taking my posts in the correct sense of what they were supposed to serve. Glad to hear that your Kushaq is on it's best behaviour and may it continue to do so. I'm on my second honeymoon with the baby Skoda now and things are real good. Inching towards the 7k mark on the odo and looking forward to not having use any DIY over the interiors plastics in the near future

Last edited by libranof1987 : 15th February 2022 at 10:24. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts
rideon74 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 10:51   #2383
BHPian

I owned a Polo Diesel Highline manual from April 2015 to May 2016. Every part of the car was made out of quality material and well put together. There were hard plastics all around but made of a quality that only expensive cars can boast of. Last week, I went to check out Taigun. Polo was on display so decided to check it out. As soon as I entered the driver's seat and looked around everything seemed made to cost and it felt more like a Maruti than a VW car. if I were in the market for Polo any day I would pick up old used polo than the new polo. VW should either maintain the same quality at the current prices or increase the price if it has to. Reducing quality to such levels is only tarnishing the reputation that they so painstakingly built in the last 1.5 decades.
amit1agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 14:40   #2384
BHPian

Got this email sometime back about some exclusive discount on booking Skoda Kushaq with an HDFC Regalia or Diners Club Card.

Skoda Kushaq Review-screenshot-20220215-2.35.29-pm.png

On following the link, it just takes you to a Skoda page where you need to share your information so that they can reach out to you. I checked elsewhere if there is any mention of this offer and ended up here on the HDFC Smartbuy website. On this page, it says there would be a Rs 25000 discount if a minimum payment of Rs 35000 is made using the HDFC Card (Regalia/Diners Club). Seems like a decent offer.

T&C also mentions this (which is nice)

Quote:
This above Customer offer is applicable on top of the below mentioned Schemes -

- ŠKODA Auto India Monthly Retail offer.
- Exchange bonus, if any (wherever applicable)
Edit - I just realised they had sent an email as well on submitting the form on the Skoda website.

Skoda Kushaq Review-screenshot-20220215-2.43.51-pm.png

Last edited by varkey : 15th February 2022 at 14:45.
varkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 18:26   #2385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Since coming from a sedan why aren't you looking at Slavia? You would be getting a bigger booth than the Kushaq, the car being a sedan would feel more planted while driving , and if you worry about ground clearance then Slavia has 179 mm vs Kushaq's 189 mm, just 10 mm less!

The car is gonna cost less than kushaq and being a newer product will have lesser issues and better quality of parts. Do take a look at the car before making your purchase.
Slavia costs almost 50k more, ex showroom. Safe to say that difference will 70-100k depending on the state taxes. The prices were leaked online couple of days back

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks