Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:02   #2266
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The flexing and creaking of the dashboard is not something that can be fixed, perhaps Skoda should recall the vehicle and fit a redesigned trim piece that does not squeak and rattle.
Very true. Eventually, it'll have to come to that. How difficult will it be to reach that point - I have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
I presume the primary reason may be the suspension.

After 2:32 in the video, I could hear thuds transmitted throughout the cabin which means the either the front end suspension setup is extremely stiff (inherent nature of Kushaq itself?) or maybe a batch of defective dampers. AFAIK, the ride shouldn't be this harsh. In my test ride, the undulations of the road are very well masked at speeds below 80 KMH.

Would insist you to check the rebound rate of the dampers with the SVC and the manufacturing year of tires as well.

Yes, finicky plastics will also aggravate the problem further but it will not be the root cause. The un-damped vibrations of the road weakens the poorly screwed together assemblies and that IMO, is the root cause.
Yes, the suspension set up is on the stiffer side as noted by many owners and let's attribute a good amount of the vibrations transmitted to the interior elements to this particular aspect.

Which then points to the question: why mix stiff suspension with flimsy interior panels? That's like a recipe for iffy outcomes.

For the record, I'm running with tyre pressures that are the minimum prescribed by Skoda for the Kushaq (33psi, all four tyres). I'm tempted to lower the psi by another 3 points or so, but with the kind of rough, pot hole filled roads I travel quite frequently for work reasons - I'm not too keen on taking a chance with the tyres and alloys taking unexpected strain/beatings.

Getting the dampers & their rebound rate checked as you've mentioned is worth a try. It's going to be an uphill task to know if the SVC will actually do a check of these components.

That being said, take a look at the part in the video where mild pressing/twists by my hand are enough to cause very loud creaking from the centre parts of the dash board. It seems like a really bad cocktail of root causes to me.

Thanks for the inputs!
rideon74 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:13   #2267
BHPian

Though my initial ownership review writing is work in progress and takes time, I will provide my initial impressions here.

Model: Ambition 1.0 TSI MT
Color: Tornado Red
Mfg: Jan 2022
Booked on: 13 Jan 2022
On Road Price: Rs. 15,10,000/-
Delivered on: 27 Jan 2022
Accessories provided: Leatherette seat cover, Mud flaps, Floor mats

Apart from this, I took the 4 year SMP plan at 15999/- also.

I am still in user testing mode and have driven closer to 300Kms in a week mainly in the City and once in Chennai Bypass

I did not face any rattles or squeaks till now. Hope it stays the same.

1. Looks beautiful in exterior all around and all doors and bonnet is heavy.
2. Good gear ratio in Manual useful for City rides. You can easily run around in 5th gear at 40 Km/h speed.
3. Excellent visibility in the night due to good headlight throw
4. Good ride comfort in the short highway run I did.
5. Nice steering to hold and use.
6. Infotainment system is crisp and My Skoda connect App is useful.
7. Storage space is well designed both inside cabin and boot which makes it fully useful.

Dislikes
1. Noisy. Everything is noisy. 3 pot engine noise is significant during start up. It starts up at 1200 rpm with high noise (sometimes with vibration too in early morning starts) and takes 10 second to settle down at 1000 rpm which reduces the noise but does not eliminate.
2. Windows roll up and down is noise is higher.
3. AC gets little noisy in just third setting of blower but Auto AC setting masks it better.
4. Tyre noise takes over once you cross 80 Km/hr in the highways. Car came with Apollo Alnac 4G tyres and spare is Goodyear Assurance Triplemax 2.
5. Small size spare tyre which can be driven only for 50 Kms. It is not suitable for Indian highway conditions.

Unknowns:
1. Safety rating
2. Long term reliability
3. Fuel efficiency

Overall, my initial impressions are quite positive and will provide more details soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-img_20220130_084852.jpg  

thanixravindran is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:52   #2268

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post
A few days ago, there were some discussions on the dashboard & door panel rattles that's been bothering some of the Kushaq owners.
=======
I'd recommend using headphones/earphones to really hear the commotion happening within my Kushaq's cabin.

Should we all Kushaq owners who are facing dashboard noises, tweet/email about this to Zac and get the same attention that EPC and door rattling got? Talking to service centers clearly isn't helping anyone in getting this fixed.

On an unrelated note, here's the FE that I got yesterday on my laid back drive to suburbs

Skoda Kushaq Review-pxl_20220201_142058500.mp.jpg
maverick_kushaq is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:56   #2269
BHPian

Quote:
A few days ago, there were some discussions on the dashboard & door panel rattles that's been bothering some of the Kushaq owners. It is disheartening to note that:

The Kushaq: A victim of cost cutting?
The door rattle, squeaking was just as bad for me or even worse. But after the beading change, it has been completely silent for the past 250+ kms. Please get that done, if not done already.

The dashboard creaking is too much, I have some slight plastic squeak/creaks but that's like may be 10% of what you are getting, and only on super bad roads, and definitely not on ramps. But it just may be that I've done only about 1700kms so far.
Since when did the dashboard issue start cropping up in your ride?
ridehard is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 13:02   #2270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Model: Ambition 1.0 TSI MT
Color: Tornado Red
Mfg: Jan 2022
Since it is Jan 22 manufactured, did you get the one with manual ORVMs?
Old 3rd February 2022, 14:07   #2271

For folks who are having sound coming from the dashboard or A-pillar trim while going through rough road conditions, I stumbled upon this video where the owner says the sound comes from a clip inside the A-pillar which holding the wires for the tweeter. Owners facing this issue can check for the same as the SVC is clueless about this.

Time stamp - 3:00 onwards

2wheelerhoot is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 14:47   #2272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Since it is Jan 22 manufactured, did you get the one with manual ORVMs?
Hello Pancham - Yes. My car came with the manual ORVMs.
thanixravindran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 10:43   #2273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd recorded the rattling issue on video earlier and shared them to the SVC to help them understand how bad things are getting.
Thanks for that video, never imagined that things were this bad!

Poor material quality and workmanship, missing QC, and that's a Skoda ? Didn't mention poor after-sales as it has been a Skoda hallmark since they entered.
Can't remember when was the last time I heard of something like this even in entry level cars.

I was disappointed with their EPC issues and its handling, miffed with their deleting electric ORVMs but this is infuriating.

I am not going to recommend the Kushaq to anyone since these issues already indicate that the car will age poorly and become a resale disaster

Last edited by shancz : 4th February 2022 at 10:45.
shancz is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 10:54   #2274
BHPian

Friend took delivery of Kushaq Style 1.5 TSI DSG 6 airbag
When only ignition is on then it shows EPC & epc symbol. When engine is turned on everything is normal( no epc symbol).
It is normal to have epc symbol only when ignition is on. I am worried about EPC written near to that symbol.
Is this normal ?
Sorry I could not take any photo.
Regards
Sagwal
Old 4th February 2022, 11:42   #2275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagwal View Post
It is normal to have epc symbol only when ignition is on. I am worried about EPC written near to that symbol.
Is this normal ?
Yes it's normal, in all cars at ignition almost all lights on the dashboard would glow and then disappear when the engine starts.

As mentioned earlier in this thread or in the EPC thread that only if you have the check engine, oil level, temperature, EPC etc glowing after the engine is started or in motion, is what should be concerning.
shancz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 12:49   #2276
BHPian

Quote:
A few days ago, there were some discussions on the dashboard & door panel rattles that's been bothering some of the Kushaq owners. It is disheartening to note that:

1. The rattles were from the same locations as mentioned by the members - the center of the dash or the front passenger door panel.

2. These niggles are yet to be completely resolved by the SVCs of the respective owners.

I'm one among the owners (Nov 2021, Style 1.0L MT) who have the above mentioned dash & door rattle ruining my otherwise happy ownership experience. Plus in my case, the door beading replacement is yet to be successfully completed.

I'd recorded the rattling issue on video earlier and shared them to the SVC to help them understand how bad things are getting. On an impulse, I made a video today to detail out the above two niggles and added my analysis of what is the root cause of the same:

The Kushaq: A victim of cost cutting?

I'd recommend using headphones/earphones to really hear the commotion happening within my Kushaq's cabin.
Thanks for sharing.
I was about to buy one in January, but dropped the idea due to sheer callousness shown by the sales executive at the Prabhadevi dealership. Looks like the callousness beings from the brand itself..
shadkhan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 12:53   #2277
BHPian

I have bashed TATA so much for the QC but boy oh boy!
Skoda is catching up F A S T.

Imagine ruining your decade long brand image of high quality products by cutting costs in places that matter.

I recently test drove a 75 km driven test car and can confirm that the same rattles and squeaks were present. It was a 2022 car (didn't have ORVM folding button) and made these creeking sounds when i drove it down the showroom ramp at an angle.

Personal advice: stay away from Taigun & Kushaq at least till they learn how to compete with the competition let alone becoming better.
DeepCarTalk is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 13:23   #2278
Team-BHP Support

The expectation was that Maruti will someday improve the plastic quality in their cars and that Tata would improve the QC on all their cars.

Tata has been working hard to catchup with other brands but it looks like things will be easier for them as brands like Skoda are going down to meet the likes of Tata and Maruti. It should have been the reverse, you keep pushing yourselves forwards and not regress.

What a shame to see plastic quality and Quality control that is poorest in the segment and even worse than the brand we bash the most.

If this is what Skoda calls 2.0 it's shameful to put a Skoda badge on the car. They should do like Nissan and put a cheaper brand badge on it like Datsun. This does not deserve to be sold as a Skoda.

Ford has suffered the same fate after the old Figo and Ecosport, they thought they can cut down on plastics and sheet metal feel and sell more cars with Aspire and new Figo. Both cars never took off in sales vs the Ecosport and old Figo. The biggest reason was they were trying to make their cars like Maruti and not make them like what Ford stood for.

When a person buys a Skoda or Ford they don't buy it for features, vfm or after sales. They buy it for what the brand stands for and the image the brand portrays. If you dilute your cars and they no longer represent what your ethos is, the person may as well buy any generic Hyundai, Kia brand. You suddenly lose the only set of buyers who were buying your cars as you no longer have any USP over the competitor. A ford stood for driving dynamics, great handling and steering feel and solid sturdy feel. You can't dilute the ethos and expect to suddenly appeal to mass market.

Like many Ecosport owners, I was looking at Kushaq as an upgrade. The Koreans just never felt like something an Ecosport owner will buy and the Skoda had similar traits on paper. After driving the Kushaq seeing the complaints here, it is no longer on my radar as the Skoda no longer represents the same values as someone expects from it.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 4th February 2022 at 14:47.
Vid6639 is offline   (184) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 14:35   #2279

It's sad to learn what Skoda India 2.0 really seems to be meaning. After a long time, I had liked a car and was about to book it but after hearing so many basic quality issues from the current owners, I'm putting my plan on hold. It is unacceptable and unheard-of quality standards (lack of it) that I don't find in my very old hatch also. It is very apparent that Skoda India has managed to fail miserably in living up to the expectation of Indian buyers with their Kushaq product. Unfortunate that they thought they could take Indian buyers for a ride in the name of their brand.

I just wonder ain't all these complaints/issues circulating in media reaching Skoda management? Isn't certain Mr. Zac quite active on social media? Is it not possible for them to course-correct and save the day for their brand/product. Because if they don't, they may be next Ford (shutting down business in India). Anyways, they are in the range of 2K-3k per month. How long the company can survive with such numbers? If they don't up their game they may already be looking at an exit plan.

My wait for finding a good car does not seem to be ending any soon
ladha.deepak is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 15:23   #2280
BHPian

Quote:

I'd recorded the rattling issue on video earlier and shared them to the SVC to help them understand how bad things are getting. On an impulse, I made a video today to detail out the above two niggles and added my analysis of what is the root cause of the same
Hello Sanjeev. I would recommend using the below Silicon spray. It will eliminate most if not all noises emanating from the friction of parts with similar materials.

I have also taken a picture of the instruction label. I have used this in the door mirror of my Taigun and also a couple of places in an older Honda where plastics were creaking. It has been an excellent solution for me.

This is otherwise a wonderful vehicle, but being the first batches we will need to baby the cars a little more than usual.

Cheers!

Skoda Kushaq Review-img_3676.jpg
Skoda Kushaq Review-img_3677.jpg
Newtown is offline   (21) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks