Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2021, 21:46   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hello bhpians.

Here's some latest info on the XUV700.

3. According to my sources Mahindra has cut costs in the XUV700 where aam junta won't see or notice like rubber beading on the doors or engine cover. My sources also tell me that Mahindra has used an inferior quality of protective coating for wires and cables in the underbody of the XUV.
Hope they haven't compromised on the sunroof's beading, last thing they want is leaking roof destroying all the hype created till now.
giri1.8 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 22:09   #437
BHPian

Quote:

3. According to my sources Mahindra has cut costs in the XUV700 where aam junta won't see or notice like rubber beading on the doors or engine cover. My sources also tell me that Mahindra has used an inferior quality of protective coating for wires and cables in the underbody of the XUV.

Stay tuned for more info.
Thank you for sharing the details. Mahindra has used an inferior quality of protective coating for wires and cables in the underbody of the XUV Sounds really concerning to me. Expert bhpians, Could you please throw some light on this one.
bwildrd#1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 22:26   #438
BHPian

When Mahindra has put so much effort to bring in such a vehicle, I doubt they will cheap out on few thousand rupees knowing very well that any reliability issues will mar the product.

Entire wiring set with installation do not exceed 25k in Maruti cars and the OEM cost may be only half of that. How much money will Mahindra save by using an inferior product, couple of thousands?

I am sure its just a conspiracy theory. Theory to explain how Mahindra can price their product so low.

Quote:
Hello bhpians.
girishv is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 22:41   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

And the part 2 of the safety bits in XUV including crash tests.

3rd row is very well covered in their simulations.
Kosfactor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 00:12   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildrd#1 View Post
Sounds really concerning to me. Expert bhpians, Could you please throw some light on this one.
Not necessarily scary. When they say inferior protection, doesn't mean insulation of wires, as there are specific grades (FLRY B/T3) of wires used in auto industry that will not change. What protection means here is mechanical/thermal protection and clips. If say the designer takes more effort and if possible to route harness safety away from abrasion/pinching/moving parts or heat source then three mechanical protection can be optimised (better word than inferior).

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Entire wiring set with installation do not exceed 25k in Maruti cars and the OEM cost may be only half of that. How much money will Mahindra save by using an inferior product, couple of thousands?
The cost reduction ideas can be crazy and might shock you. Rs. 100x 2500 (assuming XUV 500 peak volume in recent years) x 12 months x 5 years might still be not so interesting, but 100 such ideas? Trust me I have seen people working even on 50 paise/part saving (ofcourse they use 150 of those in single vehicle). Remember a tamil saying - Siru Thuli Peru vellam (small droplets can make an ocean)..

Last edited by saikarthik : 25th August 2021 at 00:22.
saikarthik is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 00:54   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post

I am sure its just a conspiracy theory. Theory to explain how Mahindra can price their product so low.
You will be surprised what lengths manufacturers go to save a few hundred bucks forget thousands. Examples galore: super thin window glasses in Ertiga, no boot cover in the 4th gen Honda city, missing plastic engine cover in Crysta GX, no steering unwind in many Maruti cars, the list goes on.
JediKnight is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 06:44   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
And the part 2 of the safety bits in XUV including crash tests.

3rd row is very well covered in their simulations.
Thanks for sharing. All simulations show a structure without a skyroof. How would the car fare with one? G-NCAP tests the lower variants and in case of XUV7OO, the lower variants are available without skyroof. Shouldn't there be a crash testing of highest variant too?
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 08:02   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Hope they haven't compromised on the sunroof's beading, last thing they want is leaking roof destroying all the hype created till now.
LOL... manufacturers would add this as an in car shower feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
And the part 2 of the safety bits in XUV including crash tests. 3rd row is very well covered in their simulations.
Nice video ... They have covered the rear crash simulation as well in this video. The crash energy/impact seems to be spreading to the top and bottom portion of the rear portion of the car. This could be a reason as to why they have gone for plastic (could be high quality) tailgate in order to reduce weight and also cut cost. The tailgate door seems not to be impacted directly in the course of a rear collision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
The cost reduction ideas can be crazy and might shock you. Rs. 100x 2500 (assuming XUV 500 peak volume in recent years) x 12 months x 5 years might still be not so interesting, but 100 such ideas? Trust me I have seen people working even on 50 paise/part saving (ofcourse they use 150 of those in single vehicle). Remember a tamil saying - Siru Thuli Peru vellam (small droplets can make an ocean)..
There is cost cutting measures across all industries and show an improvement in bottom line. Cant fault auto industry for also following the same path. Any cosmetic cost cutting is okay as per me, as long as it doesnt compromise on the car's safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Thanks for sharing. All simulations show a structure without a skyroof. How would the car fare with one? G-NCAP tests the lower variants and in case of XUV7OO, the lower variants are available without skyroof. Shouldn't there be a crash testing of highest variant too?
I think crash testings are done in the entry level models only. Would be good if they go one step above and test the AX5/AX7 variant also in addition to MX/AX3 variant. In the event of a crash, the front/rear/sides are more prone to direct collision impact. Top portion will have an impact when the car goes for a spin/rollover as an impact from the crash. In that way, does it make sense to have the sunroof closed all the time? People definitely like to drive with inner roof open and have the glass door of the sunroof closed. Agreed that it would be scenic. But wouldn't that compromise on the safety in the event of an accident and the car rolls over during impact? Glass on the top would definitely crack fully during that time and the impact would be lesser if the sunroof is fully closed.

By the way what type of glass is used in sunroofs? Similar to the one which is used in windshield? Just cracks fully and doesnt break that easliy?
MukundanMK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 09:12   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

I wouldn't be too concerned about cost-cutting by Mahindra on the XUV 700. All OEMs do this from time to time. If I told you that TVS had cut down on the number of spokes on their motorcycles' wheels in 2008, I doubt any of us who own TVS motorcycles circa 2008 can even tell it happened. I know for a fact from my uncle who retired from TVS that they've done all such things from time to time. Some parts add no incremental value by their being there. Whereas costs can be vastly cut by their absence - to everyone's benefit.

It would take a monumentally stupid set of people to cut costs in a manner that returns to bite the organization back. One simply has to trust in the better judgment of the professionals at Mahindra. (But this last part will be a problem for most people, I know.)

Last edited by locusjag : 25th August 2021 at 09:32.
locusjag is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 11:01   #445
Distinguished - BHPian

The 7OO was informally launched at Mahindra's plant by Dr Selvam Ganesan, Deputy General Manager, Mahindra & Mahindra and his team yesterday.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-1.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-2.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-3.jpg

(Source)
RavenAvi is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 11:06   #446
BHPian

As always its a pleasure to read the Team BHP review. The car looks promising and will make a dent in the market. Unsure if it will recreate the same impact as the XUV 500, there is a lot more competition right now than back then.

Mahindra seems to have taken Mercs as the reference point and that is a good thing. On the features front, they have tried to overwhelm the customer and this will work to get new buyers. Fingers crossed on reliability. I owned the XUV 500 and it was a great car to drive but after sales service left me with a bad after taste. Hope Mahindra is training the staff to manage this sudden surge.

About the spare wheel size, the TPMS works perfectly and if used right we never really need to depend on the spare wheel at least for small slow punctures. In the 5 years of ownership, I probably used it once and that was because the tyre had gone flat overnight.

If a car claims to be a 7 seater it needs to provide space for their luggage as well. We do not have a good 7 seater in this range that provides relevant boot space even in the competition. So this will not sway any buyers but as a customer I wish one of these manufacturers address this concern.

Over all, Mahindra has shown us what is possible within a fair price. I can't wait to see how TATA, MG and the Korean twins react with their updates.
chittybang is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 11:23   #447
Distinguished - BHPian

XUV700 undergoing crash testing at Mahindra’s facility.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-8b51e83489e849899bf81f2a240d2817.jpeg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-acf1e731b71a4df38403ce5fd20ce899.jpeg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-1ebf18b9ec614e9ab539558a5af5b6bd.jpeg

CEF_Beasts is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 14:38   #448
BHPian

Is it only me who is over concerned with the amount of gizmos and tech wizardry going around? There's hell lot of features and tech in this SUV that you would need an expert tech team at the service center to sort out the niggles on the initial batch. I think Mahindra should also consider giving the service centres the extra training to handle all these segment first extras.

Sure the XUV700 is bang for buck and a really good SUV on paper and first drive. But me being a person who prefer old school stuffs find it a little too much for my liking. However I seriously hope the vehicle is niggle free and does well in terms of sales in the market as the effort to launch an SUV at this price bracket is commendable and needs to be appreciated.
logicalidiot is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 15:50   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
Is it only me who is over concerned with the amount of gizmos and tech wizardry going around? There's hell lot of features and tech in this SUV that you would need an expert tech team at the service center to sort out the niggles on the initial batch. I think Mahindra should also consider giving the service centres the extra training to handle all these segment first extras.

Sure the XUV700 is bang for buck and a really good SUV on paper and first drive. But me being a person who prefer old school stuffs find it a little too much for my liking. However I seriously hope the vehicle is niggle free and does well in terms of sales in the market as the effort to launch an SUV at this price bracket is commendable and needs to be appreciated.
Agreed that AX7 model is too much techie and has next gen/unheard of features in this segment and price point. Would have been a normal thing, if these features were coming from the stable of German Luxury majors. But coming from an Indian major, people have their doubts on the reliability and serviceability of such technology driven cars.

I am even a bit old school and is/was thinking of AX5 variant. If there is an Optional variant in AX5, it would be well packaged and has most of the bells and whistles. Coming at just 1 lakh premuim over AX3, it provides curtain airbags and few other blings like Skyroof, Alloy wheels etc. Would strongly recommend that for anyone who wants to give the technology aspect a miss.

Also AX5 comes with dark colored seats (apologies for bringing this aspect again and again as I am unable to convince myself as to why M&M have planned for pure white leather seats in AX7 )!!!
MukundanMK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 15:54   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
There's hell lot of features and tech in this SUV that you would need an expert tech team at the service center to sort out the niggles on the initial batch. I think Mahindra should also consider giving the service centres the extra training to handle all these segment first extras.
Very valid point. I doubt whether the training alone would suffice. It also needs competent people in the service team to understand the nitty-gritties of such complex electronics. The trouble shooting is the most important part. We have already seen how people at reputed A.S.S(esp. German makes) groping in the dark when electronics starts to act funny. This is surely one area Mahindra has to tighten up if one is to have enjoyable experience with all those technological wizardry that they've loaded onto XUV 700.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 25th August 2021 at 16:14.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks