Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2021, 15:53   #316
BHPian
 
AROO7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: UP32 & UP65
Posts: 43
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

The first unit of the new XUV 700 rolls out of the production plant. These new SUVs will be allocated to dealers for display and test-drive. (As per Rushlane)

Although I am a bit skeptical here because the first unit has rolled out while most of the reviewers specifically mentioned the infotainment to be in the beta testing phase. Is Mahindra being hasty to catch up with all the frenzy and attention the XUV700 has got or will be beta testing on the users?

Here is a link to the complete news by Rushlane:

https://www.rushlane.com/mahindra-xu...medium=twitter
AROO7 is online now  
Old 21st August 2021, 16:28   #317
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Chennai
Posts: 140
Thanked: 1,099 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Also, the 200HP petrol XUV is in a rather weird spot - unless you really need a petrol (like many folks in NCR), I don't see why anyone would buy it over the diesel and live with the abysmal economy. Spending 10-12L just for fuel for 1L km of driving over the course of a vehicle's life is no joke for someone who paid 12L for the car to begin with.
1) For that matter why would anyone buy a petrol Innova Crysta or a Tiguan Allspace or a Hector or a Kodiaq or a Superb? All these will give about 8 kmpl give or take 0.5. XUV700 too is in the same mileage bracket with a significantly cheap initial investment. It is not as if small cars are ultra fuel efficient. My wife's Grand i10 Nios AMT returns only 10.5 kmpl.

2) With this logic, someone who purchases an Alto for Rs 4 lacs, will spend more than the purchase cost on fuel just by driving it a little over 50,000 kms. Someone who buys a Honda Activa for Rs 70,000 would have spent more money on fuel just by riding it over 30,000 kms. With this logic, a Rolls Royce will be the most logical purchase as you can drive it a million kms or more before the fuel cost matches the price of the vehicle. Silly, isn't it?

Last edited by Geta : 21st August 2021 at 16:45.
Geta is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 16:41   #318
BHPian
 
wadewilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: India
Posts: 217
Thanked: 480 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Called up my local Mahindra dealer regarding unofficial booking of the XUV 7OO The sales rep told me that they aren't accepting any unofficial bookings and at the same time have no information regarding when official bookings might open. He however told me that the training for the car is going on and car should reach their dealership some time in September (in line with what others have confirmed through their insiders).

Regarding the price of the AX7 AT with AWD and all the options ticked, he speculated that the price might be around 23 Lakhs Ex-showroom. I was speculating it to be 20 or at least 21 but even 23 seems like a good deal. He promised to keep me updated through WhatsApp so will share any useful information I might get on the forum.

This will be our first Mahindra car if all goes well. However, having never owned a Mahindra, I am terribly scared of any major niggles that might crop up (especially with regards to the amount of tech on board and chances for thins to go wrong). We have a Toyota Innova, an Isuzu D-Max and a Hyundai Creta at home and have never faced any issues till now (5 years for the Toyota, 3 years for the Creta). Hope if we go through with the purchase that the Mahindra will also be trouble free (for the most part).
wadewilson is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 16:51   #319
BHPian
 
d3mon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 776
Thanked: 2,362 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
1) For that matter why would someone buy a petrol Innova Crysta or a Tiguan Allspace or a Hector or a Kodiaq or a Superb? All these will give about 8 kmpl give or take 0.5. XUV700 too is in the same mileage bracket with a significantly cheap initial investment. It is not as if small cars are ultra fuel efficient. My wife's Grand i10 Nios AMT returns only 10.5 kmpl.

2) With this logic, someone who purchases an Alto for Rs 4 lacs, will spend more than the purchase cost on fuel just by driving it a little over 50,000 kms. Someone who buys a Honda Activa for Rs 70,000 would have spent more money on fuel just by riding it over 30,000 kms. With this logic, a Rolls Royce will be the most logical purchase as you can drive it a million kms or more before the fuel cost matches the price of the vehicle. Silly, isn't it?

1) All those cars (except the Hector) are in the 30L+ range. Folks who can spend so much money on a car can also afford to fill it up. Are you trying to argue that someone who has a budget of 12L will not feel the pinch for 6-9KMPL mileage?
If you get 10.5KMPL out of a Grand i10, I can bet that you will not get more than 6KMPL out of the XUV 700 Petrol on the same commute. Would you be happy with that?

2) Anyone buying an Activa or an Alto doesn't have any better options that are cheaper to run, while still serving their requirements. This is hardly the case with the XUV700, where the diesel counterpart, and tons of other options exist in the market with a much cheaper running cost.

And BTW you still haven't told me which parts of my last post were filled with "so much misinformation" that you claimed they had.
I think you have a penchant for arguing for the sake of arguing. This isn't reddit, you know?
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 16:59   #320
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Chennai
Posts: 140
Thanked: 1,099 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
1) All those cars (except the Hector) are in the 30L+ range. Folks who can spend so much money on a car can also afford to fill it up. Are you trying to argue that someone who has a budget of 12L will not feel the pinch for 6-9KMPL mileage?
If you get 10.5KMPL out of a Grand i10, I can bet that you will not get more than 6KMPL out of the XUV 700 Petrol on the same commute. Would you be happy with that?

2) Anyone buying an Activa or an Alto doesn't have any better options that are cheaper to run, while still serving their requirements. This is hardly the case with the XUV700, where the diesel counterpart, and tons of other options exist in the market with a much cheaper running cost.

And BTW you still haven't told me which parts of my last post were filled with "so much misinformation" that you claimed they had.
I think you have a penchant for arguing for the sake of arguing. This isn't reddit, you know?
1) For those ppl who are looking at a Hector/Innova/Superb, XUV700 offers another good choice to choose from. I thought it was clear. The other ppl who are looking at 1.4 Turbo from Hyundai/Kia too will find XUV700 petrol to be attractive (for just a 15-20% hike in fuel cost). For the others, there is always the diesel option. I thought this was very clear

2) If people look for the cheapest option, Nano would have sold in millions. People don't look for cheapness. They look for *value* (monetary, snob, peace of mind or a combination of these) And XUV700 offers that in plenty, even in its petrol guise

3) The misinformations had already been highlighted in the screenshots and hence I didn't find it worthwhile to beat a dead horse

Cheers!

Last edited by Geta : 21st August 2021 at 17:02.
Geta is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 17:09   #321
BHPian
 
Moto_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: JK/Delhi
Posts: 111
Thanked: 598 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
Hope if we go through with the purchase that the Mahindra will also be trouble free (for the most part).
Having multiple Mahindras in my family, I can very well relate. See with Mahindra products, the infamous one-year-wait-policy is logical and prudent. Having owned the XUV5OO since 2011, I can very well comment that the AWD was a major headache at that time requiring us to go to the service center multiple times for a single issue. The XUV7OO offers a lot more tech based features and I mean well but most probably the first buyers might as well be called Beta testers. Currently having Toyotas, Suzukis and a Mahindra in our stable, you can easily pick the odd one out in terms of reliability. So all I'll say is, calculate the risk before you jump the gun, unless you're a Mahindra owner and know the process too well.

Anyways, coming to the risk, I need some serious advice guys. I have a Fortuner delivery date coming in three weeks and these Mahindra teasers and videos have made me doubt my decision. Also with the current gen Fortuner seeing a facelift anytime next year, Should I stick with the Fortuner purchase or Should I wait for Mahindra to finally launch the Vehicle and hopefully it turns out to be fine and then wait for excruciating long waiting periods?
P.S Owned Mahindras for as long as I remember so niggles are my daily thing.
Moto_Bear is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 18:17   #322
BHPian
 
Pedalmasher_20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Thane
Posts: 35
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Just saw a video on YouTube that shows a Diesel Manual Acceleration comparison between the Mahindra XUV700 and the Tata Safari.


I am shocked by the fact that even though the XUV700 has a plus point in terms of power and torque figures and considering the fact that the Safari weighs 1825kgs, which is more that what XUV700 weighs, the Safari wins the 0-60kph, 0-80kph, 0-100kph, 0-120kph and 0-140kph acceleration tests..!! Is there some sort partiality that is being practiced by the YouTuber or do you guys believe the test results??
Pedalmasher_20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 18:25   #323
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Sohna, Gurugram
Posts: 24
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Sorry, where is the misinformation in my post? Please read the figo review from autocar: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...ad-test-398460
"100kph comes up in 10.5 seconds, which makes the Figo diesel quicker than all the mass segment diesel hatchbacks, bar none."
Thats a BS4 - we shouldn't compare BS4 performance to BS6.

Quote:
When did I say the Creta is cheaper or that the XUV700 doesn't make a strong case for itself? Of course it does, and it will sell in droves.
And BTW last I checked the 1.4 Turbo petrol was available in manual as well, without the DCT issues.
Seltos? Yes. Creta? No.

Quote:
Spending 10-12L just for fuel for 1L km of driving over the course of a vehicle's life is no joke for someone who paid 12L for the car to begin with.
Nobody will pay 12L for the car to begin with anyway. The XUV700 base petrol is 11.99 ex-showroom, add 10-15% road tax, and even the cheapest 700 is 13.5-14 on-road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
1) All those cars (except the Hector) are in the 30L+ range. Folks who can spend so much money on a car can also afford to fill it up. Are you trying to argue that someone who has a budget of 12L will not feel the pinch for 6-9KMPL mileage?
6 kmpl? unlikely. 9? Highly probable. But 9 kmpl isn't that bad for a 7 seater.

Quote:
If you get 10.5KMPL out of a Grand i10, I can bet that you will not get more than 6KMPL out of the XUV 700 Petrol on the same commute. Would you be happy with that?
Depends, TBH. If you get 10.5 due to having to constantly keep the engine near the redline just to keep up with traffic, then a more relaxed engine will give better Fuel efficiency: say Mumbai-Pune expressway. If it's due to crawling in stop-go traffic, then yes, a XUV700 will be worse.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd August 2021 at 05:28. Reason: Toned down. Please refrain from using an aggressive tone in your posts.
SNA411 is offline   (10) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 21st August 2021, 18:41   #324
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Delhi/Shimla
Posts: 88
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

A newbie to Team BHP but not to cars.

So, I have an question for all of you. I am 56 years old, have driven all sorts of cars for about 40 years or so ( including Maruti 800, Zen, Swift, Scorpio and currently have an Eco sport, and I10 Grand and 7 year old Thar) but have never owned an Automatic.

So, now looking at XUV 700, maybe the AX5 or 7 version automatic. So, for a 56 year old, how easy would it be for somebody who has driven manuals only to switch to automatics and would I miss lack of paddle shifters ( I suppose they make it life easier in an automatic drive ) in the XUV 700.

Great forum and I have been reading/browsing the forum, before most of mu car purchases & hope to contribute here and gain some knowledge from here.
Manojah is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 19:00   #325
BHPian
 
vigneshkumar31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Port Blair
Posts: 600
Thanked: 3,343 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review



Great interview about the engine from the MAN himself. Pardon, its in tamil. But the tech terms would make sense to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
For those who many not be able to follow Tamil, made some notes for reading - Caution : my own Tamil is a bit rusty therefore corrections welcome.

The conversation is around these points made by Mr. Velusamy, he encourages the media person to drive it as he pleases on their track.
  • Have driven lots of vehicles like Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc. BMW has excellent driving dynamics, Mercedes and Audi has excellent comfort, we wanted to make a vehicle like that that can provide a similar driving experience at an affordable price, it was a dream that started 3 years back.
  • Started with around 1000 engineers in MRV near Chennai. This product is a sacrifice of 1000 engineers for 3 years.
  • 200 Bhp and capable of 200kmph even in hands of normal drivers.
  • Has torque vectoring and DSC for maintaining stable handling.
  • Vehicle is meant for high speed and safety at high speeds, easily capable of 200 kmph.
  • 12 physical speakers and simulates 16 speakers.
  • 3D immersive sound, capable of 5 axis , 5 channel.
  • Adrenox has 6GB RAM, Qualcomm mobile processor.
  • Screen is mounted without airgap COF bonding , 2HD screen.
  • Alexa enabled from anywhere including offline inside the vehicle.
  • Has inbuilt navigation as well.
  • 20 years in engine development , mHawk is Mr. Velusamy's baby and now mStallion.
  • About mStallion.Engine is a very important aspect of an automobile, from 1700 rpm to about 3000rpm it should have flat torque curve, low end torque should be high for driver to push the vehicle.
  • Same family of engines shared with Thar, high refinement even with torque output like a diesel engine, 380nm torque. This is the master engine, Thar has a derivative of this engine.
  • High pressure 350 Bar gasoline direct injection, first time in the industry to deliver 200 bhp as well as high fuel efficiency.
  • 6 speed manual Transmission capable of 450nm torque with honed gears for refinement and high quality shifting. 1 and 2 gears have 3 synchros rest has dual synchros, carbon composite synchro for long life.
  • Refinement is 2.5 db less than competition.
  • Performance and Handling is segment best.
  • Frequent segment damping for wheel movement control, stiffened chassis for handling.
  • Structural safety with boron steel/ hotformed steel used in unibody in a ring and trident crash structure. Reference to Lord Murugan's Trident.
  • Crash structure absorbs 18 tons force , this impact energy is distributed across the boron steel structure, passenger compartment will remain intact.
  • 120 crash simulation to design platform.
  • 70% more stiff towards bending movement underneath than existing XUV to deal with high speed as well as rough roads. 80% Improvement in torsional stiffness over XUV.
  • Stiffness with new structure has enabled 110kg weight loss over current XUV. 7 airbags including knee airbag.
  • DSC will enable torque vectoring (AWD) or brakes to keep vehicle in line at high speeds, you can drive it at 200 kmph.
  • 450 Acres SUV proving grounds as the extension of MRV where this vehicle is developed near Chennai.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd August 2021 at 09:01. Reason: Adding Kosfactor's very useful English translation :)
vigneshkumar31 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 19:15   #326
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Dr.Naren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,952
Thanked: 15,265 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Just over 10 seconds to 100 is hardly worth raving about at the 21lakh price point, is it?
0-100: XUV 7OO diesel AT

Autocar: 10.34 seconds
EVO India: 9.88 seconds

Both are done using V-Box

Quote:
A more useful comparison would be with the jeep compass, which I'll pick every single time over the XUV 700, if I'm even remotely interested in performance and handling
0-100: Jeep Compass 4x4 AT

Autocar: 10.3 seconds
Overdrive India: 11.5 seconds

I couldn't find the figures for BS6 MT, it should be similar with close to 10 seconds.

I can't understand how a 7 seater Mahindra is poor in performance (for 20+ lakhs) compared to a slower and more expensive Jeep . XUV 7OO is not bad at handling as per all the reviews I have come across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedalmasher_20 View Post
I am shocked by the fact that even though the XUV700 has a plus point in terms of power and torque figures and considering the fact that the Safari weighs 1825kgs, which is more that what XUV700 weighs, the Safari wins the 0-60kph, 0-80kph, 0-100kph, 0-120kph and 0-140kph acceleration tests..!! Is there some sort partiality that is being practiced by the YouTuber or do you guys believe the test results??
Don't trust all these YouTube speedo videos. Wait for V-box numbers of XUV 7OO MT. Speedo error will be different too for Safari and XUV 7OO.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 21st August 2021 at 19:22.
Dr.Naren is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 19:59   #327
BHPian
 
Pedalmasher_20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Thane
Posts: 35
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manojah View Post
A newbie to Team BHP but not to cars.

So, I have an question for all of you. I am 56 years old, have driven all sorts of cars for about 40 years or so ( including Maruti 800, Zen, Swift, Scorpio and currently have an Eco sport, and I10 Grand and 7 year old Thar) but have never owned an Automatic.

So, now looking at XUV 700, maybe the AX5 or 7 version automatic. So, for a 56 year old, how easy would it be for somebody who has driven manuals only to switch to automatics and would I miss lack of paddle shifters ( I suppose they make it life easier in an automatic drive ) in the XUV 700.
First of all, welcome to this forum sir

I think, you'd be easily adapted to an auto-gearbox as you have been driving manual gearboxes for past 40 years. Shifting from manual gearbox to an automatic is like a 10th standard kid solving the homework/test of a 5th standard kid. It would be like a peice of cake for you to shift to an automatic car and would take you merely 2-3 drives to get completely habituated to the gearbox.

In case of the XUV700, it is equipped with an Aisin Torque Converter gearbox and according to the reviews, the gearbox performs it's job well. So you wouldn't miss the paddle shifters for 90% of your driving. For the remaining 10% of the drives, you can use the trip-tronic fuction on the gearbox and can manually shift the gears by pushing the lever to the left, if you wish so.

Happy Motoring
Pedalmasher_20 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 20:12   #328
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,677
Thanked: 11,005 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Mod note - Please stay on the topic of the thread. All off-topic posts would be deleted.
SDP is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 20:15   #329
Senior - BHPian
 
AtheK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,443
Thanked: 4,690 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AROO7 View Post
The first unit of the new XUV 700 rolls out of the production plant. These new SUVs will be allocated to dealers for display and test-drive. (As per Rushlane)

Although I am a bit skeptical here because the first unit has rolled out while most of the reviewers specifically mentioned the infotainment to be in the beta testing phase. Is Mahindra being hasty to catch up with all the frenzy and attention the XUV700 has got or will be beta testing on the users?

Here is a link to the complete news by Rushlane:

https://www.rushlane.com/mahindra-xu...medium=twitter
Infotainment would be a non issue as hardware is finalized and won't see any changes, the beta testing must be on software and hence features were disabled. Should be an easy fix by OTA, beauty of connected tech, you might not even need to visit a service center to update them.

Last edited by AtheK : 21st August 2021 at 20:20.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 20:33   #330
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,344
Thanked: 1,585 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNA411 View Post
Why stop at 6 kmpl, why not assume it to be 3, because thats what we are doing, right? assuming without any semblence of logic whatsoever.

650 BHP Lamborghini Urus with a 4.0 Litre Twin Turbo V8 claims an MPG of 23, and real world delivers 20 mpg, which, when converted, is 8.5 kmpl.

Anyone expecting less than that is being illogical
I'm sorry, I don't really have any clue about the FE of the manual petrol XUV700. I just guesstimated the figure of 6 based on feedback from petrol T Fortuner and petrol T Innova users in my friends circle. XUV 700 is in a similar bracket.

No Experience with Lamborghinis, what you say is probably true.

What I meant is that the Petrol XUV 700 MX MT will probably sell well considering it's awesome figures, inspire of having single digit Fuel economy, 6/9 kmpl. And would probably make good financial sense. Whilst avoiding the high tech equipment which may be unreliable in initial batches. I do hope that the mechanicals including suspension components are the same for all variants. Smaller wheels and badging apart, MX and AX seem similar from the outside, so street cred will not be compromised.

BTW how much does everyone think the diesel version will give in terms of fuel efficiency? XUV 500 MT gives 10-12 kmpl in city and highways. This will be similar or lesser.

Last edited by wildsdi5530 : 21st August 2021 at 20:46. Reason: Point about diesel.
wildsdi5530 is online now   (3) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks