Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2021, 08:43   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Wonder what would these last minute testing be.
There isn't anything like last minute testing.

Just this last weekend I saw a test mule and met its driver somewhere in TN and had a conversation with him and had this same question. Per him, the testing would go on even if the vehicle is launched and rolled out from production. It could go on for years where they will be continuing testing based on various feedbacks they have got and on the upgrades done. The guys whom I spoke to were from Brakes India who are in-charge of XUV7OO's braking system and were doing some type of testing of the brakes on the ghats.
balenoed_ is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 08:44   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The colour is new though, somewhat golden types.
This colour reminds me of the first completely leaked pictures of 7OO which polarised opinions.
GautamJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 09:47   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
So in both cases, say all doors open and passengers get down. The doors are closed. Does the driver need to just press the request sensor on any one door(TBhp review states request sensor on all doors), and all doors are locked, or does one need to separately press the lock button on key to lock all the doors. I believe, it's the former, but just confirming it.
I didn't check about the door lock mechanism... I was more worried about the unlock mechanism and quality of the door handles. But I have now got assurance that the quality is top notch as M&M has done automated testing of door open and close with this handle, ~1 lakh times and still the handle is sturdy and doing what it is supposed to do.

The locking mechanism should be similar to any car that comes with request sensor. My XUV 500 W6 and my wife's KWID, both do not have request sensor. So I honestly do not know how it works. However I have seen in my XUV 500 that the door locks itself automatically after few mins, if I do not lock it using the key. The same should ideally be applicable for doors with request sensor and the doors should automatically get locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamJ View Post
This colour reminds me of the first completely leaked pictures of 7OO which polarised opinions.
Ah, exactly the same flashed on my mind. I almost dropped my XUV plan after seeing the first leaked image and called Jeep showroom to check for offers and anniversary edition availability. Unfortunately they said no discounts and anniversary limited edition got sold few months back itself! Happy that XUV 700 in the latest avatar looks a 1000 times better than that golden colored model!!!

Last edited by MukundanMK : 24th August 2021 at 09:52.
MukundanMK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 10:40   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post

The locking mechanism should be similar to any car that comes with request sensor. My XUV 500 W6 and my wife's KWID, both do not have request sensor. So I honestly do not know how it works.
For a car with request sensor, you just get down from the car and press the request sensor/button and all doors (including boot) get locked. (Provided the key isn't inside the car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
However I have seen in my XUV 500 that the door locks itself automatically after few mins, if I do not lock it using the key. The same should ideally be applicable for doors with request sensor and the doors should automatically get locked.
This isn't related to request sensor. Almost all modern cars get this, wherein, you unlock the car using keyfob (when you are outside the car) and do not open the doors and the doors auto lock in about 30 seconds. However, if you try to walk out of car, and don't lock it, the doors will remain unlocked unless you lock it again

Cars like the Honda City/Civic, MG Hector get walkaway auto lock, where in you get down from the car and the car automatically locks itself.(Provided the key isn't inside the car)

Last edited by 07CR : 24th August 2021 at 10:41.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 14:36   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Do note that ADAS features only control the accelerator and brake inputs. You still have to keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times.
Mahindra has also thrown in a Smart Pilot Assist which will control throttle,brake as well as steering input as long as you're in a marked lane and adaptive cruise control is active. This system is quite common on cars sold abroad where driver has to hold or turn the steering wheel slightly (depending on if the steering wheel has capacitive touch sensor or a torque sensor, respectively) every few seconds or so just to make car computers be sure that the person behind the wheel is paying attention. It is also mandated by law in some countries. Some cars do disengage the system and slow down the car while being in the lane if driver has failed to intervene even after repetitive warnings. It would be interesting to see how XUV700 handles such situations. There are also systems which work in start stop traffic wherein once adaptive cruise control is activated, car will modulate stopping and moving with respect to vehicle in front. The system does not disengage even after car comes to a complete stop, though I'm not sure if XUV700 is equipped with such system.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot-20210824-141816-mahindra-xuv700-specifications-features-xuv700-specs.png

Here's a video on how the system works. Apparently Hyundai group has one of the best systems after Tesla.

ADI7YAK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 15:08   #426
Senior - BHPian

Talk about setting the cat among the pigeons. This is like letting loose a bleeding tiger!!

There is only one talking point for me. And that's the power plants and their outputs. You are sure to get better versions of all other features in other competitors. But in the case of power plants Mahindra has shut up all the brag quotient in TSIs, GDIs and all the rest. Period.

And based on the reviews these are sweet ones too. No irritating flat spots, rough vibes etc.

Overall it's one of Mahindra's best rounded products and the engines really add that star quality. What remains to be seen is how they manage to buck the reputation for buggy electronics. To me this is way above the Safari or the Harrier in terms of changing the status quo in the segment.

Perhaps VW group needs to plan a VW 3.0 plan - for exit most probably. What the premium pricing gives is anybody's guess now.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 15:13   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI7YAK View Post
Mahindra has also thrown in a Smart Pilot Assist which will control throttle,brake as well as steering input as long as you're in a marked lane and adaptive cruise control is active.
Yes XUV has Lane keep warning and Lane keep assist to keep the vehicle in between the white lines. It also slows down the vehicle gradually for turns while being in cruise control to maintain comfortable ride through corners.

Demo in here of several features, in Tamil of course for the most part.

Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 16:14   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
You are sure to get better versions of all other features in other competitors.
Even that doesn't seem to be the case actually. The closest competitor in terms of features is the MG Hector. There are few additions in the Hector, which the XUV misses out on like-

1) Ventilated seats
2) Auto Dimming IRVM
3) Walkaway auto lock
4) Rear Fog lamps
5) Electric tailgate
6) Mood lighting (XUV gets this for the centre console)
7) Electric passenger seat (for Auto and diesel)

I can't think of anymore. What XUV700 offers over this sans ADAS (which in itself is quite a lengthy feature list) is quite substantial.

Mahindra has nailed this product in almost all departments and hats off to them. Hope the electronic wizardry works as intended in the long run.

Last edited by 07CR : 24th August 2021 at 16:17.
07CR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 18:53   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

And another one about the safety structure. Its always good to learn Tamil for a car enthusiast

Enjoy! Motor Vikatan has something on M&M, good for us though.
Kosfactor is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 19:26   #430
BHPian

Alloy wheel design for AX5 variant. I personally prefer this design.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20210824192002.png  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20210824192403.png  

bwildrd#1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 20:11   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

If we look closely this 200 kmph capable 7 passenger vehicle is running MRF and Apollo tires, 43 degree banked curve at 170+ as well, says a lot about our tire brands too.
Kosfactor is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 20:26   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Enjoy! Motor Vikatan has something on M&M, good for us though.
Thanks for sharing this... also kudos to Motor Vikatan (part of a famous Tamil magazine/media group - Vikatan Publications) for getting into intrinsic things about the XUV 700. Most of the auto journals have extensively covered the exteriors, driving dynamics etc., but Motor Vikatan has covered about the vehicle built quality, structure and other intrinsic things. They also had an interview with Mr Velu, which also had a lot of history behind XUV 700 planning and vehicle dynamics.

Pls do watch this video. Contents are mostly in English and Tamil mix, but the technical specs are explained in English only and prospective builders will get the confidence on the car's safety aspect.

Good to see that the Ultra High End Strength Steel or Boron Steel is used in the door area to cover driver/passenger during the event of a crash. Wonder why the whole car cannot be built using Boron steel and make it almost crash proof. However there should be some reason behind it. There was an explanation in the video that they have left a few areas to be easily crashable, so that the energy from the crash can be spread in tri direction (Trishul like design) and the crash impact gets spread to be absorbed by the Boron steel parts.

Didnt know that car manufacturers do this level of R&D, which definitely is a welcome move. The first thing that I would see in a car is the safety aspect of the car and I would wait for the day when cars have 4 star crash rating, ABS, EBD, 6/7 airbags and other safety aspects as a mandatory standard feature in their base model as well. All other bells and whistles are secondary.

Taking about making the whole car with boron steel, in Aircrafts the black box is the most sturdy thing and even during air crash, it survives fully. Why cant the whole plane be made out of the black box material? There must be some science and engineering behind all these!!!

Kudos once again to M&M and I wish this product is a grand success. Not saying that as I am one of their prospective buyer of XUV 700, would be a good benchmark product and their competitors would be forced to bring in their AAA quality product at an optimum price level as well.

Last edited by MukundanMK : 24th August 2021 at 20:39.
MukundanMK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 20:26   #433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Demo in here of several features, in Tamil of course for the most part.
The demo I was looking for, the 120kmph chime. It's liveable if compared to the S-Cross that I've tried it on.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 20:35   #434
BHPian

Quote:
If we look closely this 200 kmph capable 7 passenger vehicle is running MRF and Apollo tires, 43 degree banked curve at 170+ as well, says a lot about our tire brands too.
Cannot be more proud as to how Indian Automobile and its allied industries are making a giant stride in World auto market. I am aiming at having a Mahindra XUV 700 (replacing XUV 500) and a Tata EV for my wife (replacing Renualt Kwid) by next year end. Would definitely feel proud to see 2 India manufactured car in my stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The demo I was looking for, the 120kmph chime. It's liveable if compared to the S-Cross that I've tried it on.
I was looking for the warning chime for 80/120 kmph in all the reviews and it was not audible at all. Could be that the media cars were all in beta stage and only the final production version would have this mandatory feature. In which video did you hear the 120 kmph warning chime? The one in which Mr Velu is driving the car and explaining about the car? I will recheck (rehear) that video again.

Last edited by MukundanMK : 24th August 2021 at 20:38.
MukundanMK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 21:25   #435
Senior - BHPian

Hello bhpians.

Here's some latest info on the XUV700.

1. Mahindra has a stock of chips just enough to produce 10000 XUVs. So they are set for uninterrupted production till Diwali only. They are trying to procure more chips to make it till December without any issues.

2. Mahindra is in advanced stages of setting up a plan which will enable them to produce the XUV700 at their Nashik facility to bring down the inevitable waiting periods.

3. According to my sources Mahindra has cut costs in the XUV700 where aam junta won't see or notice like rubber beading on the doors or engine cover. My sources also tell me that Mahindra has used an inferior quality of protective coating for wires and cables in the underbody of the XUV.

4. First prototype of the Born EV1 which was showcased in Mahindra's future product roadmap is ready and the design of the same has a few inputs from Mr. Bose. The Born EV2 will be designed exclusively by Pratap.

5. Mahindra has taken the overall negative feedback on the placement of the rear logo which looks like an afterthought and they will do the necessary changes to the same, but that won't happen for a couple of years atleast.

6. The XUV900 which will be the coupe version of the XUV700 will most likely get the same diesel engine as the XUV700 albeit with a 210 bhp output. This is likely to be a twin scroll turbo setup.

Stay tuned for more info.

Last edited by ram87pune : 24th August 2021 at 21:35.
ram87pune is offline   (93) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks