Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2021, 11:31   #361
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Tata Safari manual versus XUV 700 diesel manual. The XUV is about 2 seconds slower from 0-80/0-100/0-120/0-140 kmph! Both cars tested in their sports mode.
https://gaadiwaadi.com/tata-safari-v...ation-run/amp/
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 11:36   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the BMW Vs XUV comparison has sparked off quite some interesting debate - I think that is perhaps the point of it.

Clearly XUV's engine output suggests there is no magic dust in premium brands, nor would the pricing of the XUV suggest any advanced driving aids have to cost an arm and a leg, say the price is well within 30L fully loaded with all option packs.

It's time for premium brands to justify it's premium. Where is the 8 and 6 cyl engines? The Ad says ultimate driving machine, so why the same old commuter engine?
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 11:40   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercool View Post

Niggles & Problems

Good review Omkar. I can’t agree more with you on irritating niggles that new Mahindra cars offer. I am using XUV 500 since 2015 and bought another XUV 500 early this month. So even in the second generation XUV 500 there were few niggles. Knowing Mahindra cars very well now, I can tell that customers may face two issues. Number one niggles particularly with electronics and advance features. Second is extremely poor after sales service. I sincerely wish that Mahindra improves its after sales service.
Just curious, what was the thought process behind buying another XUV500, especially since you are unhappy with the niggles and the aftersales. Not to mention the impending launch of XUV700, and option of buying another car in the segment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Great Review!

A quick question to the Mods, the XUV700 seems to have trumped the Safari almost in all aspects. There are one or two areas where the XUV700 may have disadvantages against the Safari, one, the third row is probably not as comfortable as the Safari, but the trade off seems to be better boot space. And second, potential niggles due to the high tech features, I say potential because no one really knows, maybe there would not be a lot of issues, but it can be a factor.
Third row comfort can be one factor where safari edges the XUV. But looking at the extensive list of niggles being reported on the Harrier/Safari pages frequently, you would be vary of Safari in the niggles department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Bottom line being, is it really game over for the Safari? Would it be relegated to much smaller volumes and never see even a moderate success in the long run? I cannot see Tata updating the Safari in the short term, except for some paint and sticker jobs. And I don’t know if Tata has really any room for price reductions.
Tata shot themselves in the foot when the let go their capable 400 NM motor from Hexa and instead opted to outsource the engine from Jeep. Same thing about platform, as the cost for a LR platform should be quite high. Not to mention the gearbox being bought from Hyundai, this has again put a strain on supply-chain and Cost ratio. Room for price correction therefore is very low.

I see Safari slumping in sales, just like it initially happened in 2011. A deja vu is in the making.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd August 2021 at 12:52. Reason: Next instance of deliberate back to back posts will result in infraction.
Old 22nd August 2021, 11:48   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Looks like the BMW Vs XUV comparison has sparked off quite some interesting debate - I think that is perhaps the point of it.

Clearly XUV's engine output suggests there is no magic dust in premium brands, nor would the pricing of the XUV suggest any advanced driving aids have to cost an arm and a leg, say the price is well within 30L fully loaded with all option packs.

It's time for premium brands to justify it's premium. Where is the 8 and 6 cyl engines? The Ad says ultimate driving machine, so why the same old commuter engine?
The magic dust in premium brands is the way the whole car is put together. It's the same difference between an oppo and apple. Moreover XUV with 180 bhp does 0-100 in 11 odd seconds, the X1/Q3 do it in about 8/9 seconds. That 2 second difference is a lot especially in feel. The premium cars ride better, handle better, have superior touch points etc. The desi brands are getting there for sure, but the day Mahindra or Tata make a luxury car, expect that to be priced in line with the current lot.
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 11:55   #365
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
This post is an insult to BMW sedan owners.
Why on earth are you taking it as an insult, you aren't being called a moron here, the only thing that people are trying to call out here is, for a third, fourth, fifth of the price that someone would have paid, you get a similar specced vehicle. If your words were true then an X5, X3 owner would be doubly, trebly insulted by the same logic.

Actually, your post, that is quoted here, should a tagline (change the post with car, might as well remove the sedan) for Mahindra to create more waves, as if they were short after the pricing and specs reveal. I'm sure, a few with this tagline alone would lap it up.

Time and again, please do not post the 0-100 timings and all, I'm 200% sure, you've never done a track run with a VBox, so please enjoy the thrills that your steed offers you and let other's enjoy what XUV 7OO is offering, heck, this price point and with these specs has never been offered in the Indian Car industry, 200 HP, these were immortal figures for millions in this country, at 11.99, make that zillions.

Mate, please don't feel silly when an XUV7OO stops beside you at a traffic signal, enjoy what you have and let him/her enjoy what they have bought.

Last edited by Torquedo : 22nd August 2021 at 12:03.
Torquedo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 11:56   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Tata Safari manual versus XUV 700 diesel manual. The XUV is about 2 seconds slower from 0-80/0-100/0-120/0-140 kmph! Both cars tested in their sports mode.
https://gaadiwaadi.com/tata-safari-v...ation-run/amp/
Gaadiwadi says ".... the 0-100 kmph dash took only 11.96 seconds.". Evo (Sirish Chandran) manages to record 0-100 kmph in 9.51 secs, that too for an AT! Can the manual be 2.5 second slower than an AT? Or Gaadiwadi folks couldn't test it properly?

Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot-20210822-11.49.49-am.png
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 12:04   #367
Senior - BHPian

My friend wants to book the fully loaded variant in its 7 seater Avatar, but he is worried about white seats as he has kids! Does the market offer good airbag compatible seat covers? Else he would have to go for the variant with fabric seats.
Old 22nd August 2021, 12:31   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

Nope, no one has to justify anything. We either buy it or we don't.
Supply can only exist if there's demand. If buyers are perfectly fine with the pricing and the product they have been offered then who are we to say otherwise!

Last edited by ruskinash : 22nd August 2021 at 12:44. Reason: Cut short the post.
ruskinash is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 12:38   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Gaadiwadi says ".... the 0-100 kmph dash took only 11.96 seconds.". Evo (Sirish Chandran) manages to record 0-100 kmph in 9.51 secs, that too for an AT! Can the manual be 2.5 second slower than an AT? Or Gaadiwadi folks couldn't test it properly?

Attachment 2196714
Since both use Vbox equipment to test the timing, I guess the auto was faster due it being tested on the smooth Mahindra highspeed track versus the comparo being done on real roads and the fact that the autobox gets 450nm versus 420 nm for the manual.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 12:53   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Bear View Post
Hey, Wadewilson. My dad and my uncle were among those who were able to get their hands on the XUV when it was launched in 2011. The XUV legacy was passed onto me around 2014 Autumn so I have few years of ownership experience to share.
Thank you. Its invaluable getting firsthand experience from Mahindra owners. I’m glad you shared it with me and others who might be on the fence.

Quote:
1. The engine is one of the best I've driven and believe me, I've driven a lot, both here in India and UK. Although I've faced a lot of niggles with almost everything, Engine and transmission have aged beautifully and with proper maintenance and service, I see no problems happening. Recently drove the 2018 facelift and I have to say, this XUV brand has aged like wine. So if maintained properly, this is one of the best engines south of 20 lakhs.
It seems that there should be no problems with the mHawk engine if properly maintained. That’s great to hear . Thank you Moto_Bear

Quote:
2. The NVH levels on my XUV are okayish. The engine roar isn't there when I'm light on the pedal but it becomes loud as it approaches the redline. The 2018 facelift XUV5OO is another story. The NVH is n times better and the roar feels more like a grunt. This shows the time and dedication Mahindra as a brand is ready to put out on its product.
Hopefully Mahindra would further improve the NVH levels on their latest flagship. Thank you for helping me be informed about the NVH Levels. One of the complaints on our current Toyota Innova is the horrendous engine sound that seeps inside the cabin making listening to music or even talking to each other a chore - hopefully, the NVH would be better than our Innova or at least the engine sound would be lesser.

Quote:
3. Although I'm more of an enthusiast when it comes to driving, driving on a moderate speed gives me around 11-12 Kmpl. XUV7OO will most surely follow in its footsteps and we'll see 11-14 Kmpl as per my estimate.
Yes, I’m also hoping for the AT to deliver at least around the 11-14 kmpl range. Tired of driving manuals and the leg cramps due to terrible traffic while visiting the city.

Quote:
4. Yeah as far as Rusting goes, I won't sugar coat it. Rusting is a problem with the early XUVs. Both my car and my Uncle's had to face Rusting. I had to get my door changed because of it and my Uncle gave up on his black beauty. Rusting was a problem earlier but my friends who own the newer iterations had fewer to no complaints.
That’s good to hear. I think the problem might have been relegated to the first gen and by the facelift, Mahindra might have sorted it out. Also, as per RavenAvi, the steel used is a much more improved quality (German I think), so hopefully that’ll also help.

Quote:
Conclusively, what I feel is, Mahindra as a brand has grown over the years . . . But as RavenAvi suggested, to all the new customers of Mahindra, I would suggest to wait for atleast 6 months. That way, even if the prices increase it'll not be by a huge margin and the initial niggles would be sorted. Peace of Mind is always cheaper than a price increase
Exactly my thoughts, peace of mind is better than getting the car for a few thousand cheaper. Also, regarding your purchase, I’d suggest convincing the home ministry to wait for a bit more But anyway, if you do end up purchasing do give us a review from an owners perspective. Cheers.
wadewilson is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 13:14   #371
BHPian

Any clarity on when the XUV 700 would be available at the showrooms to view and test drive. I hear conflicting posts with around 15th September to 2nd October or later date. Any clarity on when prices of all AX versions would be announced?

Also, I did read somewhere that delivery would start around late October 2021 & somewhere it is mentioned that delivery would begin mid January 2022.
Old 22nd August 2021, 13:49   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manojah View Post
Any clarity on when the XUV 700 would be available at the showrooms to view and test drive. I hear conflicting posts with around 15th September to 2nd October or later date. Any clarity on when prices of all AX versions would be announced?

Also, I did read somewhere that delivery would start around late October 2021 & somewhere it is mentioned that delivery would begin mid January 2022.
As of now October is when the test drive vehicles will arrive as per the dealer. Hope we get to see the full price list by that time.
Old 22nd August 2021, 14:27   #373
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please avoid further comparison discussions on XUV 700 vs BMW. Similar power outputs across brands and segments are quite common.

Request to stay on the topic. Any further discussion on the aforementioned comparison will be deleted. Thank you!
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 14:31   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this test mule running on the Chennai Bangalore highway. Looked to be an XUV700 to us.

The paper slip on the back said S D - MT (diesel - manual transmission). Is there a new variant or iteration up for launch?

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20210822wa0007.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20210822wa0003.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20210822wa0000.jpg
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 14:45   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedalmasher_20 View Post
Just saw a video on YouTube that shows a Diesel Manual Acceleration comparison between the Mahindra XUV700 and the Tata Safari.

https://Youtu.be/K8E2Ac8OQ7U
I am shocked by the fact that even though the XUV700 has a plus point in terms of power and torque figures and considering the fact that the Safari weighs 1825kgs, which is more that what XUV700 weighs, the Safari wins the 0-60kph, 0-80kph, 0-100kph, 0-120kph and 0-140kph acceleration tests..!! Is there some sort partiality that is being practiced by the YouTuber or do you guys believe the test results??
This is a very unreliable video, and I urge anyone to take these youtube speedo tests with a truckload of salt (i.e. don't believe them at all).

As per Autocar, the Harrier MT does the 0-100 sprint in 11.25s and the AT does so in 11.75s

As per Overdrive, the Safari MT does 0-100 in 11.6s but as per Motorbeam the AT does the sprint in 12.54s. Do note that all the aforementioned figures have been produced by a box, so they are credible.

I think there is a clear bias in this video in favour of the Safari...must be an attempt to stir up some news (views).
fakenews is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks