Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2021, 20:08   #1861
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
As per the receipt, the Committed Date of Delivery mentions September 9, 2099!
Yeah I checked that too, they mentioned it will reflect corectly only on 10th onwards.
For the name update my thoughts are to not to take the risk of cancellation of the booking hence would bug them post delivery date confirmation
Monty1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 20:14   #1862
BHPian

I have been eagerly following the launch of the XUV 700. Last year, October I was blown away new gen Thar and had almost made up my mind to get myself one. My younger sister beat me to it and took delivery of the Thar Manual Diesel Hard top LX which im told cost almost 15 big ones on the road!. I got to finally drive it and yes, it’s a fun vehicle and can go anywhere except for serious offroading. What was a bummer for me however was the quality of the plastic, absolutely zero boot space, hard to access back row seats and those ugly wheel wells at the back. Mahindra could have made some hand rest with storage space on the wheel wells. I get that the Mahindra is a 2 door and of course not a first car for most people. My personal feeling is that I don’t want to spend that much for a 2 door with that interior quality!
With that the new XUV 700 came into contention! And my first view was I like it!. The price range starts from 11.99 lakh all the way to 22.89 lakh. Im not much of a fan of that many electronic gadgets in car. My must haves include ACC, Reverse parking camera, TPMS, ORVMS, decent Entertainment system. I can live without the other bells and whistles. Considering where im based at the moment, I could do with an AWD or a 4X4 variant. The XUV 700 top spec will cost close to 30 lakhs on the road and I am not willing to stretch my budget to that.
I request forum members to answer some questions on the way the product has been priced. Forgive me if some of these sound basic, but I would really like to get clarity on how products are launched and priced.

1. What is the purpose of having the MX variant? Who is the target segment? Will it sell or is it just to highlight the product range?
2. Since the AWD is available only on the top spec variant, would it have made sense to offer it on the other trims as well MX, AX3, AX5 as well. Couldn’t this have brought it more volumes?. I remember when the Scorpio was launched in 2015, it had a 4WD version in the mid variant S5 plus variant.
3. Is it commercially not viable to offer a vehicle within Rs. 20 lakh (proper 5 door) having a AWD or 4WD option as well?. I understand that demand for an AWD and 4WD may be small, but why not have that option available.
petrogeek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 20:16   #1863
BHPian

Will we be getting the " park regeneration" feature on the diesel variant of XUV 700 just like on all other Mahindra cars? Anybody having any idea about this?

Last edited by ani21 : 7th October 2021 at 20:22.
Old 7th October 2021, 20:17   #1864
BHPian

Quote:
Many members seem to have received an SMS and an E-mail too. In my case, I've received only an SMS, that too in the afternoon (Attaching below).
Don't know if this order number is national or region wise. I have seen order numbers starting from OTFA, B, and now D! (The first two are from the AX7 L D AT) Doesn't seem as straightforward/transparent as we might think. There are some grey areas in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by febin8055 View Post
just got an update from dealer. Some OTF number. Any idea what OTF stands for?
The OTF number is indeed the "Order Number" you get in your text message confirmation. It's the very number I'm talking about in the post above.

Last edited by 10nitin : 7th October 2021 at 20:27. Reason: Another reply added
10nitin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 20:19   #1865
BHPian

Will like to share my experience today
After not being able to secure a booking online despite using a FTTH connection at a friend's place, so while returning from office, straight away went to the dealer who recommended that I must book online myself, he was apologetic and said that there was good news that Mahindra will be offering price protection for customers who could add it to their cart, I was happy and started looking for my name in the list sent by Mahindra to the dealer and in accordance with the sequence of events unfolding for me today there was no mention of my name. After a long day I had no inclination to confront anyone, the executive felt sorry for me and perused the list multiple times but to no avail, he made me spell my name and repeat my number also to see if I had made a mistake while booking but all turned out futile.
Meanwhile I glanced through the list and realized why my name was missing, the list had only people who opted for L variants and some even included awd. It seems Mahindra does not want to sell other variants. The 25000 bookings in 57 minutes does not seem to be true by any chance. The dealer had a list of more than 60 people approx. How are they offering so much vehicles considering that dealers all over the country must have received such lists, of course there is possibility that people interested in other variants must have been contacted but we will never know the number.
I think Mahindra would have sold only 14 to 15k vehicles online and rest are being sold at inflated prices
Guess the marketing team is being paid heavily and they need to find a source of revenue.
If you have a good product why employ cheap marketing tactics.
Staged a sell out!!
Dark water is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 20:26   #1866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
With the price range of 11.98 to 22.89 lakhs ex- showroom(now revised) across variants, is the XUV 7OO one of those rare(if not the only one) cars whose top spec variant costs almost twice as much as the entry level variant? Perhaps the on-road price delta between the variants is going to get even more amplified.

Revised price range- 12.49 to 22.99 lakhs ex-showroom.
I was thinking of the same and more from a resale POV. If I purchase a top-end vehicle and sell it after 4-5 years, assuming that I take a 50% hit in pricing, folks can still get a new car at the same price with a lesser number of features. This could lead to heavy depreciation (speculation). Thoughts?
Old 7th October 2021, 20:51   #1867
BHPian

Making good & attractive products is great but not sufficient. Defining right variants, keeping some tricks up in the sleeps and being in the news for right reasons - all of these are important too (Tata this one is for you)!

Kudos to Mahindra for playing it smartly. Now, if the XUV700 turns out to be reliable and niggles free, I see this segment is soon going to have a new Leader. And if that happens, once again the Safari will be more of an aspirational product rather than having a business significance in Tata's portfolio.
Old 7th October 2021, 20:52   #1868
BHPian

Even though there have been detailed reviews across platforms, and after closely reading the bhp review on the car + ton loads of dope on the car; I took a test drive yesterday. Actually 2.

Probably the first time that I test drove a car just out of curiosity. I anyway do not have plans to any of the cars or buy a new one, but just felt like adding my two paisa here. I visited Vayalat Mahindra in Kochi and had to wait for around an hour to test drive the car on 6th.

I listed myself for driving both the Diesel AX7L Automatic & AX7L Manual. Few things I noticed are as below

Sales Support: The sales folks at the store were not so educated on the variants, specs etc (that could be this showroom specific), however the trainer who claimed to be from Mahindra himself was a bit confused on what you get and what you don't, across variants. I am still not clear.

The car is pure fancy in comparison to the my 2012 W8. It is a different car altogether at every proportions.

Third row: You will know you are in an XUV when you are in the 3rd row. It is identical and I felt it to be a bit more cramped.

Second Row: Everything else seems to be an upgrade from the previous generations except for the under thigh support and comfort of the second row. My test drive in the second row was just about 2-3 kilometer.

However the leg room is much larger now.

Getting in the car: It is much more easier to get into the car in comparison to previous ones, you can easily save that 10K on foot steps.

SUV Car lacks the SUV-ish stance is more crossover-ish. I would seriously think twice on taking this off the road, especially a bit concerned on the longer front and rear approach and departure angles + the wheelbase.

Grill This could be one things that might polarize fans, some like it some don't. But does grab the eye balls. I somehow feel that the facelift guy will first put his pen on the grille.

Front Row This is where you can get lost, the infotainment system the display are all worth spending time on - and you can get lost. The screen of course is the highlight, and the steering knobs are rich with controls. Its a lot to get used to.

Screen Overall look and feel, user experience was great. But there is a lot to explore. I did try out the "L" package only Sony Sound System, was of course great - something that is key for someone like me. Touch was good, and especially the ones behind the instrument panel. This is of course built for an userbase with wider preferences, and hence not commenting on it much. It is engaging but I feel on regular day to day use - you may not play much on this.

Drive - Manual A whole new world all together.

Steering. I drove to the showroom on my Ecosport and XUV7OO felt much lighter on the steering. Ecosport had the lightest of the steering wheels to me, but this one is a bit above it. Especially loved the grip, and is way lighter than my 2012 XUV.

On the move, there was ample amount of power waiting for throttle and I had to quickly move to gear three from the start. The straight stretch was good, and I feel you can easily manage without many downshifts like the previous XUV's. You would love to drive this on ghat roads, and would find it seamless on highways. Would work well on city except for the proportions that you should get used to.

Engine is super silent and super responsive.

Suspension Since I knew the place before with the half hearted consent of the salesguy, I took the car to their yard, with a bit of a detour to look at how you can manage on patchy and small roads. the car takes sufficient amount of shock, but the thud audible at times.

Worked well on interlock brick roads as well. Only concern would be the MRF Wanderers that are on stock.

The drive modes worked well in manual.

Drive Automatic Test drove this TC box to check the adaptive cruise control. It worked like a charm and was nice to see, the breaking was executed well. Practically you may not use a cruise control in city, but on highways - this is more of a bell and whistle to me and I am sure it would work pretty well outside the country.

You still cant leave your car on the breaking on Indian highways.

The lane change warning also worked pretty decent, and was great to see.

Rest of the stuff:

1. AX7 AT L is 29L on the road in Kochi. And the manual will be around 27L. Luxury package is 1.5 lakhs rough and best to leave that for the Sony Sound System and 360 degree camera.

2. They should have added a wider and more premium IRVM and the one on board is the same one we had in 2012. Looks like they missed it.

3. Infotainment - The test drive car with the automatic had a couple of bugs on the infotainment and I feel the users will get an update shortly.

4. Drive Mode - The selector did not work on the automatic car.

5. I remember spending hours inside my old XUV to understand most of the functionalities and features within the car. In the same pace, I might need at least 2 days to get a complete orientation.

6. Steering mounted controls, stalks are all crowded here. You would need to take your eyes off to press one.

7. The Blind spot camera is on the instrument console and you would need to take your eyes off the road to look at it.

8. I mistook the knob behind the gear lever for terrain management, but that was more of an infotainment toggle.

9. Interior lighting is pure white, like the old XUV and doesn't give a great feel.

10. The boot is pretty solid in look and feel, and missed the light on the boot. However, do mind that the whole component may not be covered by insurance post your nil dep cover.

11. The car deserved a Bridgestone Dueler or equivalent.

12. If 30L is outside the budget, take a pen and paper list on all the features of the car, give ranking based on your and your families interest and come down to lower models. It will be a tough one.

13. The car misses a few colors, but the dark blue was really catchy and loved it better on skin in comparison to the Silver, White, Bright Blue

DPF I am not aware of any DPF clogging issues with Mahindra cars, but I know there are many cars including the infamous Ecosports and the newly popping up Fortuners with DPF clogging issues. The sales guys here are not aware, but the trainer from Mahindra mentioned that when the warning comes up, you may have to drive your car at 60KM speed for 20 minutes.

And he mentioned that this may not be a challenge if the car has sufficient highway use. He also added about manual cleaning, while the car is being parked.

Buyers, do check this out and understand how these are done before delivery. I am sure that we will have to go through this until we get BS6 fuel. (Thats my understanding)

I know the thread is pretty long already, but just wanted to drop this here, as this is the first time that I test drove a car before booking, and the only car that I tried just to try
peterjim13 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 21:05   #1869
BHPian

Re: XUV700 cross 25000 bookings under an hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
. One should just hope they follow up with timely deliveries on the XUV700 without too many delays.
I wonder if it is possible.
Likes of me canceled Thar booking due to insane waiting periods. They still have humongous waiting time. The margins on THAR must be more as well.

I wonder how can they deliver 25k cars? It would run into 5-6 months waiting in no time. I won’t be surprised if the waiting time reaches to 1 year by the time Diwali arrives.

On the contrary, 1 year is good enough time for Mahindra to sort out the initial issues. So, prospective customers should book and let the “system” take care sorting out initial niggles
sheelapratosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 21:06   #1870
BHPian

I had a Diesel AX5 AT in my cart but couldn't book in the morning. The chosen dealer called me back that they would provide the same price if it is same name, variant and if booking done today. I have transferred the money and awaiting confirmation. 50k ex showroom increase would translate to about 70k OTR in Bangalore I guess.

I think it is a good gesture by Mahindra to own up the technical issues and provide another opportunity at introductory prices to interested customers. I also have a Thar booking and will probably pick the vehicle which comes first.

I feel AX5 is value for money compared to Safari XMA as it gets alloys and sunroof at almost similar price.
Mogs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 21:15   #1871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10nitin View Post
Don't know if this order number is national or region wise. I have seen order numbers starting from OTFA, B, and now D! (The first two are from the AX7 L D AT) Doesn't seem as straightforward/transparent as we might think. There are some grey areas in between.
Tried making sense of the OTF numbering, but couldn't crack it too. If we can compare the numbers of fellow BHPians according to the variants booked, maybe we can get some insight. If everyone would be kind enough to share this. You may blacken the last few digits before posting. I'll start:

I booked the AX7 Petrol AT in Mumbai and the OTF number is OTF22D******.
Old 7th October 2021, 21:29   #1872
BHPian

Quote:
I booked the AX7 Petrol AT in Mumbai and the OTF number is OTF22D******.
I booked AX7L Petrol AT @ Hyderabad and the OTF number is OTF22A****** (12 alpha numeric characters). I received an sms today morning and it had no booking details. No email received (checked Spam/Junk folder also) and My Bookings section in M&M site was not showing any booking. Called up the dealer and he sent 2 screenshots from some internal M&M site. It had all details including Booking Id, Variant, Color and few other details.
MukundanMK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 22:15   #1873
BHPian

Just received the confirmation e-mail from Mahindra. Had received the SMS in the afternoon. Seems the systems really took a hit, considering how various forum members have received their confirmation at various time intervals.

Good luck to the BHPians getting ready to face the fastest-finger-first tomorrow morning in booking the XUV 700.
Old 7th October 2021, 22:26   #1874
BHPian

Managed to book today after pulling out around a million hair. Harrowing experience and extremely ridiculous management by Mahindra!

Had almost given up and then the booking went through.

25,000 bookings in 57 minutes is just a marketing gimmick. The XUV 700 thread has posts from members stating that dealers had accepted offline bookings already in massive numbers and also had access to a separate portal than us poor souls who were reduced to refreshing the website for over half and hour like idiots! Absolutely no way all the 25,000 are online bookings. Virtually impossible!

Congratulations to Mahindra though, especially kudos to the clever Marketing team... They've surely earned their pay!
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 22:37   #1875
BHPian

I was told by the dealer that online booking would be very busy and they were right. The site got blocked within minutes and I transferred the money to the dealer instead.Booked the AX5 AT Petrol in Silver. Yet to receive any confirmation though..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks