Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2021, 20:26   #1996

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Is anyone else dissatisfied about the non SUV like ingress for XUV 700 ?

From the experienced BHP’ians : how much difference would this ( low stance ) make while travelling to places when AWD will actually come in use ?

Wonder if this question comes to the mind of any other prospective AWD variant buyer of XUV 700 ?

p.s : I have already booked one.

Cheers.
Old 9th October 2021, 20:28   #1997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post

This Mahindra XUV700 has been parked opposite our home for the last 2 days and no one on our street seems to know whose it is - considering that even today the Mahindra XUV 700 website has only mentioned about bookings, meaning, deliveries haven't begun yet (confirmed by a Chennai Mahindra dealer too today), and the nearest Mahindra showroom is a few kilometres away, is this a cause for concern and should we do anything about it⁉️
Perhaps you should also post this under 'street experience'. If it has been parked for 2 days without anyone touching it, you should complain. It could be a stolen car.
Old 9th October 2021, 21:06   #1998
BHPian

Drove the Petrol automatic today and found the car to be very powerful. It didn’t feel like a big car while driving and the power on tap was very good even the gearshifts were smooth and brisk. The optional pack with the Sony sound system sounded absolutely first class and the resolution of the 360 parking camera is also good. But the big negative I found was the lack of last row headroom compared to the Alcazar was very poor and the seatbelt height adjusting lever was made of very poor quality plastic. Steering wheel is very light although it does weigh up I found the feedback of the Safari better than the Xuv. The car is full of tech so one should be very careful and must compulsorily opt for the maximum extended warranty. I don’t expect the fuel efficiency to be anything more than 10kmpl which is same as the Hector Plus Petrol.
Overall enjoyed the car’s power,looks,interiors and the amazing sound system.
SA had no clue regarding the allotment of cars and mentioned that the approximate delivery timeline will be given after two days of booking.
Mahindra XUV700 Review-d255b4d0b9574c78882902931252d47a.jpeg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-32b2c5c6fb8c4266a8fa5c9797d9453e.jpeg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-3a98daa8479e4ab0a50495712dcb7f07.jpeg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-326373f71af84f59bcb211ccccc86daa.jpeg

On road prices in Mangalore,Karnataka (click on the image for higher resolution)
Mahindra XUV700 Review-4f9ffd46cf964eeda360ca432243fa19.png

Last edited by Sahilrai166 : 9th October 2021 at 21:08.
Sahilrai166 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 22:36   #1999
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_gpatel View Post
- 5. Fuel efficiency is my biggest concern, display showed 4.7 kmpl, overall would be very high on petrol bills, current calculations approximately translates into a whopping INR 22/KM + other costs like purchase price, service etc. One of the reasons for me to doubt my decision!
Don't go by the fuel efficiency figures in test drive cars. These are kept running for hours without moving to charge batteries when they are on display and also subject to test drives, where there will be a lot of stopping and waiting followed by very short drives of 5-10 minutes in busy traffic conditions. I would expect the petrol.manual to deliver 8-9 kpl in typical city drives with a light foot. The car should also be able to deliver 13 kpl or so on highways with fairly fast driving. According to the team-bhp review 100 kph comes up at a lazy 1600 rpm on the petrol - this is really low and shows the powerful and torquey nature of the engine. At such speeds, the engine will be so relaxed and unstressed and should give very good efficiency.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 9th October 2021 at 22:43.
84.monsoon is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 00:43   #2000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
How did the alpha testers not figure this in supposedly millions of kms of testing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
It’s for exactly this reason that most folks recommend waiting for a year or two for each new model’s initial niggles to settle in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
My only intention is to at least make some people aware that the money they are putting down on a freshly baked Mahindra is not a small amount and there is no harm in waiting and watching.
With my experience of Mahindra TUV3OO purchased just two months after launch, I would wait a year to buy any freshly baked Mahindra product. Not sure why they missed number of basic things in TUV3OO during their pre-launch tests. Engine was under-powered (84 BHP) and they had to re-tune it to 100 BHP few months after launch. Coolant leakage was a problem for many, you know why - original hose thermostat inlet was few mm shorter. Vacuum modulator and front seat belts were replaced couple of times. I am also aware of AMT issues faced by AMT owners.

I faced one or other problems regularly until one and half years after purchase. Had been in conference calls with Mahindra area service manager and senior managers from service dealers. In the process I got acquainted with the area service manager so much that he sent technicians to home few times to fix minor issues, as at that time he felt I had visited service centres enough. I also got MLD retrofitted under warranty to fix wheel spin issue.

You may refer my posts #1336 (Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review), #1351 (Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review) #1754 (Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review)and #1777 (Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review).

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolingvoyager View Post
How will inept M&M ASC cope up with these High on gizmo and bleeding edge tech. From my 9 years of ASC experience of M&M, its a hit or miss.
I hope they properly train service personnel on managing all these new gadgets. In my case service engineers forgot to clear the service reminder couple of times, even after specifically telling them to do that.

Last edited by airbus : 10th October 2021 at 00:46. Reason: Grammer.
airbus is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 04:37   #2001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty1 View Post
Just found a really nice thread on Teambhp, especially for all the "Foreign hai to acha hai fans"

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/10-com...koda-dsg-india
For this type of debate I would like to categorize products into 3 categories
1. Made in India by an Indian company
2. Made in India by a foreign company
3. Made in a foreign country

Knowing that only way Indian businesses respond to competition is by cost cutting which invariably means drop in quality , I as a consumer would unhesitatingly give priority to 'Made in a foreign country' products.
Anyone who argues otherwise must first see firsthand how quality plays second fiddle to cost in manufacturing products in India.
neeraj0272 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 06:50   #2002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
And this was so visible, I had to take a picture.
Valid points, the hype reminds me more of "the next iPhone" than the next car

Also didn't you find it a bit odd that the speedo is on the left and tacho on the right ? I thought that was an unstated norm. Any idea if that's interchangeable since its all digital ?
Old 10th October 2021, 07:40   #2003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Valid points, the hype reminds me more of "the next iPhone" than the next car

Also didn't you find it a bit odd that the speedo is on the left and tacho on the right ? I thought that was an unstated norm. Any idea if that's interchangeable since its all digital ?
For symmetry of design, the needles on the right dial go counter-clockwise , while the one on the left goes clockwise as the speeds/engine revs climb. As the speedometer is the more commonly used instrument (many lay drivers may not fully understand or follow the tacho), and is related to safety, it needed to be placed in a way that it works like a conventional dial which moves clockwise and is easy to understand. This then necessitates the speedo to be on the left.

84.monsoon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 09:05   #2004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
This Mahindra XUV700 has been parked opposite our home for the last 2 days and no one on our street seems to know whose it is - considering that even today the Mahindra XUV 700 website has only mentioned about bookings, meaning, deliveries haven't begun yet (confirmed by a Chennai Mahindra dealer too today), and the nearest Mahindra showroom is a few kilometres away, is this a cause for concern and should we do anything about it⁉️
I guess the D 282 serial numbering of sorts on rear windscreen indicates it's a Mahindra test car. Find out your neighbour who works for Mahindra and get us some scoops
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 09:10   #2005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
Knowing that only way Indian businesses respond to competition is by cost cutting which invariably means drop in quality , I as a consumer would unhesitatingly give priority to 'Made in a foreign country' products.
Anyone who argues otherwise must first see firsthand how quality plays second fiddle to cost in manufacturing products in India.
Well this statement sums up the naive understanding of manufacturing in general. Let me throw some light with a few facts:-

1.India is the 5th largest manufacturing base for automotive industry and is on the path to break into the top 3 by the year 2025. It cannot do so if quality of Indian manufacturing was so bad as stated. By the way do you know, most of the fuselage of any combat helicopter (Nato certified) are manufactured out of India.

2.There is a concept of "Economies of scale" not always do you need to cut costs to scale back profit, sometimes the sheer volume would break even the cost. For the current XUV 700 the 50k bookings in 2 days is an example where Mahindra has ensured this. Please refer to posts from other Bhpians in this thread to get details on the numbers.

3.The cost cutting is not necessarily an evil in any operation and necessarily impact your Quality. Cost cutting could be done by improving your processes, by implementing better technology and using better raw material.

4.The statement that "cutting cost invariably means drop in quality" is more suited to foreign manufactures because they want to take advantage of the economies of scale but they are not willing to improve processes to cut costs, rather they compromise on quality (read Skoda Kushaq). They do not want to innovate and treat Indian market on its merit which in fact is challenging for sure.

5.One area Indian manufacturers need to improve for sure is R&D, but if you talk of Mahindra its the shining beacon amongst its Indian peers in this regard.

Mod note: Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th October 2021 at 09:16.
Monty1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 09:36   #2006
BHPian

Quote:
Well this statement sums up the naive understanding of manufacturing in general. [/b]
Let me give some of my background. I am a middle level trader and manufacturer of steel components which are consumed by OEM to Mahindra, Sonalika, Tata Motors etc.
Also I procure raw material from all the steel producers and also from automotive steel components manufacturers who are OEM to all the auto producers of the country. So I know about quality levels of my trade.

Quote:
1.India is the 5th largest manufacturing base for automotive industry and is on the path to break into the top 3 by the year 2025. It cannot do so if quality of Indian manufacturing was so bad as stated. By the way do you know, most of the fuselage of any combat helicopter (Nato certified) are manufactured out of India.

2.There is a concept of "Economies of scale" not always do you need to cut costs to scale back profit, sometimes the sheer volume would break even the cost. For the current XUV 700 the 50k bookings in 2 days is an example where Mahindra has ensured this. Please refer to posts from other Bhpians in this thread to get details on the numbers.

3.The cost cutting is not necessarily an evil in any operation and necessarily impact your Quality. Cost cutting could be done by improving your processes, by implementing better technology and using better raw material.

4.The statement that "cutting cost invariably means drop in quality" is more suited to foreign manufactures because they want to take advantage of the economies of scale but they are not willing to improve processes to cut costs, rather they compromise on quality (read Skoda Kushaq). They do not want to innovate and treat Indian market on its merit which in fact is challenging for sure.

5.One area Indian manufacturers need to improve for sure is R&D, but if you talk of Mahindra its the shining beacon amongst its Indian peers in this regard.

Mod note: Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.
If we talk about cost cutting regarding components then this is not possible without heavily investing in R&D. Name any one technology where an Indian manufacturer has achieved this. On the other hand it is possible to achieve cost cutting by reducing the weight of the component which all manufacturers "in India" do.
Do you know that all products from every steel producer is undersized. For a 10mm steel sheet you will get thickness of 9.80mm to 9.90mm!
My only statement was that I would 'prefer' a 'foreign made' product to a 'made in India'.
There are exceptions .The humble stapler and stationary items that we use from Kangaro is such an example. As a consumer I want to get my money's worth from the seller. I would love to buy from a Ludhiana based Kangaro but I won't waste my money on a Tata Motors or a Mahindra product just because they claim to be Indian. Especially as Tatas & Mahindras are more global in their thinking than their blind followers.

Last edited by neeraj0272 : 10th October 2021 at 09:38. Reason: Grammar
neeraj0272 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 09:52   #2007
BHPian

Found this on Instagram. Looks like the rear (err.. bumper door) is holding well
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20211010094928__01.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20211010094934__01.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20211010094940__01.jpg  

Aravind_M92 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 10:03   #2008
BHPian

Delivery schedule announced:
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_202110101001342.jpg  

ani21 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 10:11   #2009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
On the other hand it is possible to achieve cost cutting by reducing the weight of the component which all manufacturers "in India" do.
Do you know that all products from every steel producer is undersized. For a 10mm steel sheet you will get thickness of 9.80mm to 9.90mm!
My only statement was that I would 'prefer' a 'foreign made' product to a 'made in India'.
Yeah now it makes sense, based on the background you have shared as to why that " Bhari hai to Behtar hai" school of thought. Unfortunately in Automotive Industry its not always true, its the design and underlying tech that matters. For example, Boron steel is 30% lighter than normal galvanized steel but 80% more tensile and stronger than the later.

Coming to example of pioneering a technology in manufacturing there are numerous examples, but I would quote a couple that I have got a chance to work on
1st India is the pioneer of Metal adhesive technology
2nd In nano tech fabrication of Atomic fuse wire used in Abombs and Nuclear power plants.

Quote:
but I won't waste my money on a Tata Motors or a Mahindra product just because they claim to be Indian. Especially as Tatas & Mahindras are more global in their thinking than their blind followers.
Well I cannot comment on this because am yet to own one, however I leave it to all the owners of Tatas and Mahindras to let us know if they feel their hard earned money is down the drain.
Monty1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 10:17   #2010
BHPian

Delivery update from Mahindra. Petrol variant deliveries to start by end of October and Diesel variant deliveries to start by November end.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20211010_101317.jpg
The Alchemist is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks