Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2021, 18:40   #1246
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

I can see that many people are disappointed with the feature distribution between the variants, especially in the AX5 variant. This also includes me.

However, after thinking about it for sometime, I have come to realise that the reason for our disappointment was more due to our expectations and less due to Mahindra. The direct competitor of the AX5 is the Safari XM and if you compare the equipment level between the 2 cars, you'd realise the extra value that Mahindra is offering in the AX5.

Most of us were expecting the AX5 to be similar to the other cars where the top minus one variant has all the basics covered and then some more. Something like the Creta SX or the Safari XT. One more reason for this expectation was the confirmation of features like panoramic sunroof and LED headlights in this variant which made us take the other features for granted.

This might be the 1st car/variant, at least among the Indian mass market cars, to have sunroof and LED headlights but miss out on basic features expected at this price like Automatic climate control, start stop button, cruise control, leather wrapped steering, auto headlamps, auto wipers etc. Most of the other similarly priced cars in their top or the top minus one variants may lack sunroof and LED headlights but cover almost all the other basic features listed above.

This was the reason why most of us were expecting the same from the AX5 and are now left disappointed. Most of us would also be willing to give up the 'skyroof' and the LED headlights in exchange for all the other basic features but I guess the mass market would be happier with a skyroof and 'white lights' with a barren steering wheel and that's what inspired Mahindra to equip the AX5 as it is right now. The true reason why Mahindra has been able to price the XUV 7OO so aggressively is quite clear now. This is still good pricing IMO, just not great as most of us were of the opinion a month back.

Hope that in the near future, Mahindra either revises the AX5 feature list or brings something like an AX5+ or AX6 version to fill in the gap. Before the launch, the AX5 was looking like the VFM version, but now, it has to be the AX7 MT.
AYP is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 18:43   #1247
Senior - BHPian

IF not already shared, the Bengaluru price list.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf XUV7OO LAUNCH PRICE - OCT'21-converted.pdf (151.9 KB, 281 views)

Last edited by aah78 : 1st October 2021 at 00:49. Reason: Post fixed.
k_ajay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 18:46   #1248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Bear View Post
Mahindra has acted smart guys. Every feature that was hyped or was on display(barring a few) has been put behind a rather big pay wall. Anyone related to Gaming industry might call them as microtransactions. Automobile Industry calls them as optional packs.
+1

I also think they have a limited number of chips. So, they are capacity limited in terms of how many vehicles they can actually roll out of the manufacturing line.
They have seen the interest showed on the XUV700 by potential customers. I think they just decided to make hay when the sun shines. So, they have made the AX7 quite appealing and priced it almost on par with the competition (Safari). Their thought process might be to manufacture the higher end variant as much as possible and sell them as they will have the biggest profit margins. The AX3 and AX5 variants seem to be missing a lot of features which are available with the competition (at their corresponding price points)
BharathXUV700 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 18:48   #1249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
IF not already shared, the Bengaluru price list.

[ATTACH=XUV7OO LAUNCH PRICE - OCT'21-converted.pdf]2213618[/ATTACH]
26.67 at Sireesh vs 26.46 at Anant (Shared in last page), for AX7L Petrol, same car, same city, difference of more then 20K, how much markup is Sireesh adding(mainly hidden under road tax). I foresee such malpractices to increase as the demand will be of the roof, and they would want to make hay while the sun shines.

Buyers in Bangalore are better off buying from Anant, until ofcourse they also revise the price to make more money!!

Mahindra XUV700 Review-whatsapp-image-20210930-15.38.50-1-2.jpeg

Last edited by AtheK : 30th September 2021 at 18:50.
AtheK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 18:51   #1250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmachine View Post
Safari is expensive because they source the Engine and transmission from outside
Mate, with due respect, how does that matter to any prospective buyer? What matters to the buyer is whether the engine is a good one or not. What stopped Tata from developing a suitable BS6 diesel engine and transmissions which could have helped them to price Safari aggressively? Why they couldn't do something which Mahindra could? Mahindra is reaping the benefits of its R&D and I feel such justifications are uncalled for.

Thanks!
Geta is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 18:53   #1251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
The Bengaluru price list.
Got the same.

The dealer is telling me that booking is open for those who pay 21K upfront. Not sure if it makes sense to do this.

Does anyone have any birdies afloat who can tell us if it is mahindra or the dealers who decide who is in or out of the "First 25K" ?
Old 30th September 2021, 19:07   #1252

I heard from Bangalore dealer that AWD and Luxury pack combination is intentionally not launched and reason being Luxury model has delicate sensors and considering terrain in which AWD is used, Mahindra does not recommend it.
I am not too sure if this makes sense. Any expert opinions regarding this?
kswapnilk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 19:12   #1253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I can see that many people are disappointed with the feature distribution between the variants, especially in the AX5 variant. This also includes me.

This was the reason why most of us were expecting the same from the AX5 and are now left disappointed. Most of us would also be willing to give up the 'skyroof' and the LED headlights in exchange for all the other basic features but I guess the mass market would be happier with a skyroof and 'white lights' with a barren steering wheel and that's what inspired Mahindra to equip the AX5 as it is right now. The true reason why Mahindra has been able to price the XUV 7OO so aggressively is quite clear now. This is still good pricing IMO, just not great as most of us were of the opinion a month back.

Hope that in the near future, Mahindra either revises the AX5 feature list or brings something like an AX5+ or AX6 version to fill in the gap. Before the launch, the AX5 was looking like the VFM version, but now, it has to be the AX7 MT.
You hit the nail on its head. This can be called as clever from M&M, because now I am trying to justify myself of why AX5 AT is still VFM over AX3 AT purely because from the start I have been desiring for the AX5 ,its alloy wheels, 2 extra airbags, LED headlamps, cornering lamps, sequential turn indicators etc etc, and had totally ignored the variants below (thus making my ego fire up and saying to me "don't adjust for a lower variant at this last minute"). I thought it would also have 360° deg cam and the option of choosing optional features. I was almost sure that the Ax5 would be the best all-rounder across multiple segments, which needed least compromise on most things. Now it seems I have to compromise on more premium interiors and many basic features for the firecracker of an engine, superb performance, handling, ride comfort etc. That makes me think why not AX3 or even MX if I am ready to compromise on some features, because all of these still have FSDs (correct me if I am wrong), 200hp engines, same ride and handling as AX5 as well. Then I think that I need some sort of an upgrade in all factors from the 2015 Ecosport I have and so once again justify the AX5. But then if I have to go by the 360° view of AX5 interiors in the official website, my 6 year old (8 year old model) Ecosport Titanium (1 below the top variant) seems to have more premium interiors ! (Apart from the superb screens of the 700 of course). Likewise, my thought process is going in circles and all my plans of taking TD and booking instantly seem to have gone haywire. My family need to replace the extremely bumpy Ecosport ASAP but now I don't feel like compromising on a smaller car like Creta/Seltos/Astor (even though I am okay for a 5 seater, Harrier still doesn't seem a choice for me because if I can stretch my budget for a Harrier I can then opt for 700 which I believe still has more to offer for 16L ex showroom price, add the relatively better after sales service and stuff) or jumping the gun and opting for the what seems now a slightly overpriced AX5 AT (just the way how our mind works).
APB98 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 19:20   #1254
BHPian

There seems to be a bug on the website.
Under the xplore 360deg in interior section, it says Luxury pack has telescopic steering. Does that mean normal AX7 and below variants do not have telescopic steering?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-f97920ea2c8d40c2a26570bc32fdd0f6.jpeg  

sagpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 19:20   #1255
BHPian

The information on Mahindra's website is not that clear. I expected them to provide a brochure so that variant wise comparison can be made easily. This is not there. The comparison given on the site is confusing, e.g. AX5, AX7 and AX7L all will get alloy wheels but which one? 17 or 18 inch?

Plus, there are certain figures that they should have provided like -

1. Boot space
2. Fuel consumption
3. Weight

It seems they are in the process of updating the website.

Was considering this seriously but now decided to let the dust settle down and more information/user reviews emerge and make the things more clear.

Last edited by NH08 : 30th September 2021 at 19:25.
Old 30th September 2021, 19:25   #1256
BHPian

Anybody knows from which variant we can get internally adjustable and foldable ORVM - I guess from AX5 onwards.
Could not find that info on the website anywhere.
Old 30th September 2021, 19:25   #1257
BHPian

Hold on - Telescopic steering only in Luxury pack? thats a real bad deal
I have an XUV500 W10 and my biggest pain point is that i have to constantly struggle with a good seating position - and the telescopic steering was a life saver. i cant beleive they put that into the luxury pack on XUV700!!
piyush1.a is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 19:27   #1258

Well i think may be mahindra has forgotten to add awd in the website because i find it hard to digest that mahindra would charge Rs 2lakh ex showroom just for four features 360° camera, sony speakers, wireless charging and smart door handles.

On road it would be a difference of about 2.5 lakhs Wireless charging is also available in accessories pack by the way.

Is it possible that mahindra forgot to add the word awd in ax7 L variant.
Old 30th September 2021, 19:31   #1259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
There seems to be a bug on the website.
Under the xplore 360deg in interior section, it says Luxury pack has telescopic steering. Does that mean normal AX7 and below variants do not have telescopic steering?
I think this may be true. I seem to recall one of the youtube review video where the person had a Petrol AX7 variant and he clearly pointed out that the steering only could be adjusted for tilt and was not telescopic in nature.
BharathXUV700 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 19:37   #1260
BHPian

Given that I am slowly moving back up on to the fence with respect to the Creta I booked, I was kind of hoping that there might be a viable alternative in XUV700.

But a quick read here on these posts and a look at the XUV700's website is showing me that the lower variants (AX5 at least) are quite a bit underwhelming (hyped up expectations, maybe).
asmr is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks