Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2021, 22:31   #1276
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghunath Singh View Post

Looks like a deliberate attempt by Mahindra to superficially tick all the boxes while keeping the price lower than Safari. Really disappointed.
Not anymore. The Safari XZA+ 7 Seater Gold edition costs 29.4 Lakh on road in Bangalore as of today. Even if Mahindra adds their 1.8 Lakh cost for the option pack to their 26.8 Lakh cost of the AX7 AWD, it will still come under the Safari.
Old 30th September 2021, 23:12   #1277
BHPian

So here are the price differences between models with various technical jumps;
  • Petrol vs Diesel (155 PS): 50,000
  • Petrol vs Diesel (185 PS): 60,000
  • 5-Seater vs 7-Seater: 60,000
  • Manual vs Automatic: 1,60,000
  • AT vs AWD AT: 1,30,000
  • AT vs AT L: 1,80,000
The last two points show an interesting pattern. Having a solid mechanical upgrade is way economical than having few tech gizmos. But this may be due to the chip shortage being the key driver for the price of luxury pack. This could also be the reason why they are not offering AWD with L pack just yet as that variant might not have a lot of takers and it will dilute their chances to sell such variants with those PRECIOUS chips

The variant wise jump is as follows (lowest model in each variant);
  • MX vs AX3: 2,00,000
  • AX3 vs AX5: 1,00,000
  • AX5 vs AX7: 2,60,000 (Although AX7 has 7-seater as default so technically the difference is 2,00,000 if we reduce 60,000 to make it 5-seater and have a fair comparison)
UltraViolence is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 23:28   #1278
BHPian

A great pricing to start with. But interestingly the top AX7 L variant doesn't seem to carry a mouth watering price and carries a huge margin.They have achieved the interest of a prospective buyer with the top class feature list (existing in the top end only) and showing impossibly cheap pricing for the base variants. Our stupid brain would find it difficult to correlate the facts and will keep saying this is damn cheap, go for it.

With demand going over the roof, I can only imagine the price to increase steeply in a month or two. But if they fail to meet the demand then they could very well be doing the Jawa fiasco again.

That said more than the pricing, what I really am impressed is the way a home grown automaker is redefining the segment. Kudos to Mahindra there.
Jude300 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 23:36   #1279
BHPian

I'm little disappointed with the pricing. Considering the euphoria it created on the Independence Day due to killer pricing, this looks just a passe for top AX7 L.
I thought, we would get AX7L AWD AT at around 21.5L ex-showroom, give or take 50k. Now, the pricing without AWD is almost equal to the price of Safari XZA+. It's no more a differentiator for XUV700, though you get many features over Safari.
M&M played smartly here to intially disclose the pricing of competitive, low end bare bones models and after generating big interest, hiking the top model pricing.

On another note, can someone help me understand Registration charges difference between 2 different states? Why can't it be same for all? Will BH registration help in any way?
For reference, Registration charges for AX7 L in Solan(HP) are almost 3.5 lakhs less than Banglore (KN).

Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20210930232340.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20210930232326.jpg
Old 30th September 2021, 23:38   #1280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Hence, it's best to wait till FY2022 comes into effect. Yes, there might be 1-2 price hikes in the offing till then, but a much clearer picture of the 7OO's range will be seen. Not to mention, most of the niggles in the initial batches which are a given for every new Mahindra launch would have been sorted by then (hopefully).
So what is your guess on how much the booking periods would be if one books at the start of FY 22 ?

As I've said many times, my current car's poor suspension is the main reason why I am desperate for a new car, and the 700 (despite mid variants not being up to the mark) still seems the apt choice. But if I have to adjust with my car for half a year more, how much more should I be prepared to wait after I book a probably better product ?
APB98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 23:43   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh.harshal View Post
On another note, can someone help me understand Registration charges difference between 2 different states? Why can't it be same for all? Will BH registration help in any way?
The short answer is that the road tax rate is decided and the same is collected by state governments and there is no rule/law preventing them from keeping widely different rates.

And yes, BH series registration will help reduce OTR prices in states like Karnataka when it is implemented.

You can follow the detailed BH series discussion on this thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...e-another.html (New "BH" series registration | For cars getting transferred from one state to another)
yogishkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 00:32   #1282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
So, basically, for the extra 1.8 lakhs for the Luxury Option pack over a normal AX7, one gets:-

1) Immersive 3D Sound Technology - 12 Speaker system by Sony,
2) 360° Surround View,
3) Blind-view Monitoring,
4) Passive Keyless Entry,
5) Electric Smart Door Handles,
6) Driver Knee protection Airbag (7th),
7) Telescopic steering adjustment,
8) Electronic Parking Brake,
9) Vanity Mirror Illumination,
10) Mobile adaptability charging provision with Wireless Charging.

Seems justified now, IMO
I totally agree. I've heard the Sony 3D setup today. As per the specification there are 12 speakers (including 2 subwoofers though I could only figure out one on the left side of the 3rd row seat below the AC vent) with a 445w 13 channel amplifier including 3D DSP to upscale your music files and all other music sources as well. If we were to do this setup aftermarket, it would easily cost upwards of 1L alone.

360 surround view is good for a big vehicle like this where we need to park in tight spaces and blind view monitoring instantly appears on the MID. It's kind of safety features which you can't add aftermarket.

Airbag and telescopic steering adjust are another two features which can't be added aftermarket. Though both these features should have been standard across AX5 and 7 and not optional.

In all, comparing to Safari which is the only car I was comparing this 7 seater with, I feel the pricing is good and worth it. Also I never wanted a diesel engine, so was waiting for this launch . Safari still being the best looking car in this segment in my opinion.
sixthsense is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 01:03   #1283
BHPian

The more I look at AX5, the more bare bones it appears. Mahindra has really crimped-down on this one. For a car which costs almost 20L OTR, some of the basic features are missing. I mean, leave aside ventilated seats, ACC, Cruise Control, 360 camera...atleast provide body-coloured ORVMs for God's sake!

Even the AX7 doesn't really appear to be a VFM variant. Mahindra has reserved all the bells and whistles for the AX7 L variant. All that clever marketing and hype was created to push buyers toward the AX7 L variant. Seems they've only produced AX7 variants primarily.

Now that people are understanding how Mahindra has cunningly positioned the lower variants without inclusion of some standard industry-wide available features, it's sure to prove counter-productive, once the initial hype and hoopla settles.

Not sure if I'm jumping the gun here, but for a lot of people, including myself, who were looking to stretch their budget a little in hope of a well-rounded offering from Mahindra, over the Creta, Seltos and the like, the XUV 700 has turned out to be a damp squib, IMHO. Literally everyone in the friends & family circle who was eagerly awaiting this launch, is anything but enthused at the moment.
IamNikhil is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 01:06   #1284
BHPian

Finally the full list is out. I must say I am a tad disappointed with the current variant list. Full marks to the pricing though. I am not a fan of too much electronics and hence was planning for either AX3 P AT 7 seater or AX5 P AT 7 seater. Since there is no such variant I may have to go with AX5 P M 7 seater sacrificing my wish for an AT car as my next new ride. Does it make sense to wait for 6 months to 1 yr and the perhaps the current variant list may change to include a 7 seater in the petrol mid automatic trims? I am sure many of us see AX3/AX5 P 7 seater AT as WFM. My daily usage does not warrant a diesel and hence not considering diesel as an option.
Old 1st October 2021, 01:19   #1285
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am an existing Thar owner (bought the Diesel LX manual Convertible top in March)

Am I mistaken.. I have seen in multiple videos that Manual AX7 version seems to have Electronic parking brake, 360 camera & Sony surround system

However, when we try to configure we have to choose AX7 automatic with Luxury pack to get this feature

I would love to book a petrol variant offering me best value for money, since I would drive this occasionally with family

Any suggestions - am equally open to both Manual / Automatic - fun to drive is key factor for me, 7 seater is preferable since I can pay 60k and choose to remove seats later since the option to add isn't available to us

Also, Panaromic Sunroof seems to have caught our fancy after I test drove the TROC and my wife loved this feature and also the super quiet cabin, especially if you compare to my existing canvas convertible top Thar

Would the ADAS system like Adaptive cruise control work with manual transmission.. that's not clear to me

Now the big question -

Which is the best value for money package among the Petrol 7 seat variants.. ?

AX5 manual @ 15.6 L (Base model meeting my criterion)
AX7 manual @ 17.6 L (i.e 12% more)
AX7 automatic @ 19.2 L (i.e 23% more)
double down on AX7 auto with L pack @ 21 L (i.e 34% more)

P.S:

Based on my experience with Mahindra cars, I find the AC very inconvenient and have to fiddle with blower speed and temp to find comfortable setting and would like to avoid this issue.. so, that narrows my choice to AX7

If I were to consider the AX7 Auto with L, would I be better of getting a T-Roc with 1.5 DSG and perhaps better build quality and insulation - but lesser space, but a panoramic sunroof and European car feel.. I am getting TROC at 21 Lakh ex-showroom Mumbai

Unsure which model would keep us happier for say 3 years, and give us a higher resale

Sorry.. There are too many questions in my comment / analysis. I would be glad even if I could get some pointers to help me finalise the right model or car
Old 1st October 2021, 01:43   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
26.67 at Sireesh vs 26.46 at Anant (Shared in last page), for AX7L Petrol, same car, same city, difference of more then 20K, how much markup is Sireesh adding (mainly hidden under road tax). I foresee such malpractices to increase as the demand will be of the roof, and they would want to make hay while the sun shines.

Buyers in Bangalore are better off buying from Anant, until ofcourse they also revise the price to make more money!!

Attachment 2213619
I think Anant car's pricing isn't correct and road tax is the culprit (imo). The road tax in Bengaluru is 18% for personal vehicles above ₹ 20 lakhs, ex-showroom. Add 11% cess to the 18% road tax amount and Sireesh has calculated it right, at ₹ 4,21,378. Anant cars folks got excited and missed the cess; they will of course have to revise, or pay out of their pocked, which will never happen. Expecting corrected sheet from them will be shared soon.

Any flaw in the road tax calculation, if noticed, happy to be corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogishkamath View Post
Got the same.

The dealer is telling me that booking is open for those who pay 21K upfront. Not sure if it makes sense to do this.

Does anyone have any birdies afloat who can tell us if it is mahindra or the dealers who decide who is in or out of the "First 25K" ?
My contact at Sireesh Auto (Hosur road, near Silk Board) is telling me that for the first 25,000 customers who book, to track and ensure the price lock, the booking confirmations will be registered and blocked against each vehicle chassis number. Not sure if accurate, but its what i was told.

Booking amount is ₹ 21,000. But sales guy hasn't asked for this yet, only KYC documents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Now that people are understanding how Mahindra has cunningly positioned the lower variants without inclusion of some standard industry-wide available features, it's sure to prove counter-productive, once the initial hype and hoopla settles.

Not sure if I'm jumping the gun here, but for a lot of people, including myself, who were looking to stretch their budget a little in hope of a well-rounded offering from Mahindra, over the Creta, Seltos and the like, the XUV 700 has turned out to be a damp squib, IMHO. Literally everyone in the friends & family circle who was eagerly awaiting this launch, is anything but enthused at the moment.
True, the lack of an AX7 Diesel AT with AWD and options from Luxury variant has turned out to be a damp squib. Mahindra is also well aware i suppose, that including these two and launching a truly top of the line AX7 Diesel AT AWD L variant at ₹ 29,00,000 on-road (bengaluru) will not go down well with the same enthusiasts demanding for this variant. It will highly likely be perceived as an M&M SUV close to 30L and then price comparisons with Jeep Compass and other premium vehicles come into play.

What RavenAvi has said is what I expected/ expect too, having seen how XUV5OO evolved from W9 to W11 variant. There is most certainly an AWD Luxury variant bound to come from Mahindra. We just don't know when it will, but i'm willing to wager a bet that it will be at a price that will be scary and many won't want to buy at (prices for existing variants itself is expected to increase, from the 25,001 Customer onwards. When more complaints of price will pour in).

It would have really made a lot of sense if the knee airbag, telescopic suspension and 360 camera setup somehow made its way into the AWD (okay, maybe charge another ₹ 25-45k more).

Car buying process, with more options, costing way more money than it did a decade ago, has become so stressful.
k_ajay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 01:57   #1287
BHPian

Is traction control available in any variants? Couldn't find that in the feature list.
Old 1st October 2021, 01:59   #1288
BHPian

I bought the XUV500 in 2012, as it was great value for money. The other facelifts were not to my taste and Mahindra had lost me in the meantime. However the XUV700 had me pumped up and the initial pricing brought back memories of XUV500 launch as a VFM product. But I feel let down by the pricing now.
A vanity mirror light only the L variant. Comeon Mahindra.
The base model is extremely stripped down.
The top variant features should have been included in lower variants.
And the L variant is just not VFM.

I had lined up to provided my KYC documents, but no thanks Mahindra. I'm not buying any of the variants with this pricing.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 01:59   #1289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
What RavenAvi has said is what I expected/ expect too, having seen how XUV5OO evolved from W9 to W11 variant. There is most certainly an AWD Luxury variant bound to come from Mahindra. We just don't know when it will, but i'm willing to wager a bet that it will be at a price that will be scary and many won't want to buy at (prices for existing variants itself is expected to increase, from the 25,001 Customer onwards. When more complaints of price will pour in).

Car buying process, with more options, costing way more money than it did a decade ago, has become so stressful.
Spot-on! Not just an AWD Luxury one, but Mahindra might also introduce an AX6 in the coming months, anything is possible. Buying a 30L Mahindra SUV will definitely not be an easy decision for many though.

As for the car buying process you mentioned, I miss the good old "Lxi, Vxi, Zxi" days. Life was easy. We thought more money/technology could bring peace, but look how that's turned out!

Last edited by IamNikhil : 1st October 2021 at 02:00. Reason: Grammar corrected
Old 1st October 2021, 02:00   #1290
BHPian

The variants and price list has indeed turned out to be a damp squib. The biggest problem that I find is the mid variants lack all the expected goodies and the higher variants are priced higher. There seems to be no ideal option in mid or higher variant.
The early reviewers were reviewing features that are found only in a single variant that too with a luxury pack. Now it seems that a two minute review of the drive quality would have sufficed. The initial price release of lower variants costing around 15 lakhs and the simultaneous media drive where auto experts were reviewing 27 lakh rupee variants was successful in creating the awe factor. It looks like a cheap marketing trick in hindsight.
Unavailability of Sony system in other variants including AWD is a terrible omission for me. Seems like there is no "fun with XUV7OO" now.
Will have to compromise if I plan to go ahead.
Dark water is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed