Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2021, 00:22   #1381
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

I was invited to the pre launch at Randhawa Andheri today. One silver AX7 on display and two TD vehicles - AX7L Petrol AT and another MT. Some observations based on today's visit and a short 20 min test drive in heavy traffic:

1. The sales guys have no clue what they're selling. Not judging them but dealers have tried to ramp up capacity quickly for the anticipated rush is my guess.

2. The interiors look classy, beats the Safari hollow. Not that the Safari is bad but it lacks finesse for the 25 lac price tag. Mahindra has definitely upped their game here.

3. Massive presence. Doesn't have the sex appeal of the Safari but makes up to some extent with brute presence. Random pedestrians were turning around to get a second look.

4. The third row is not as good as the Safari. I am 5ft 6in and my head was touching the roof. That the second row doesn't slide just makes it worse.

5. By and large the shut lines were consistent and seemed to be better than the Safari. Pleasantly surprised to see this given that these are initial batches from the XUV. One exception I noticed was where the chrome strip around the windows meets the rear lights, not nicely done.

6. The petrol AT is smooth with power on tap when you need it. But the MID displayed mileage of 5 KMPL. Though must keep in mind that this was a TD vehicle being driven in peak traffic. Nevertheless I will never consider buying this in petrol.

7. The quality of plastics outside of the digital console felt cheap. The sun glass holder, the lever to open the glove compartment etc.

8. The TD vehicle was top end petrol but the driver's seat didn't have the welcome feature where it slides back as you open the door. The sales guy had no clue why.

9. If you approach it with the fob in your pocket, I was expecting that the AX7L door handles will auto pop out. That didn't happen. Both # 8 & 9 seemed like niggles to me but could be some setting as well so not quite sure.

10. The third row doesn't fold totally flat. There is a slight incline. Also it's not smoothly integrated with the boot cover. There were visible gaps.

11. The third row has three recline settings. But they're useless if someone is sitting there. Only the most reclined position is reasonably ok for sitting.

12. The suspension is amazing. I took it over some bad roads and we couldn't feel much in the first and second rows. I felt it was better than the Safari by a good margin.

I also got a video of how the door handles on AX7 retract but not able to figure out how to upload it.

Anyway, I think top end to top end the XUV has an edge over the Safari. At least in my book. I was expecting a slightly lower price and a better variant mix. But it is what it is. Now I am confused between AWD and AX7L.

Anyway waiting for the Mumbai on road prices before I decide anything.

The dealer wasn't accepting any booking amount (pleasantly surprised) and was asking to go online, add to cart and pay online when the booking opens.

Name:  088B8939AE544B61A63A7F05F6BD06A4.jpeg
Views: 1157
Size:  32.8 KB

Name:  7FA2FF515CD74C0F88C21E1A1B0432EA.jpeg
Views: 1131
Size:  21.0 KB

Name:  FA97056D70D44F339D386AB6A7E81CD2.jpeg
Views: 1118
Size:  20.2 KB

Name:  6D286F608C01429D875F562D683167FA.jpeg
Views: 1100
Size:  23.8 KB

Name:  45CBD74900074013A90E7D21E8D116A0.jpeg
Views: 1078
Size:  15.6 KB

Name:  95F108405B8246248D4D015FBEBDE186.jpeg
Views: 1076
Size:  17.9 KB

Name:  692C8E0379F34E9D844372BCA128D1FD.jpeg
Views: 1076
Size:  21.6 KB

Name:  A9D5CD3D500C4979BE8A936025C740C0.jpeg
Views: 1102
Size:  21.3 KB

Name:  BC3CF2E54A73432ABB4B798E3B952904.jpeg
Views: 1090
Size:  19.8 KB

Name:  C980F1C27C304C0E9F5AC0C1BC92409D.jpeg
Views: 1057
Size:  19.4 KB

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd October 2021 at 05:02. Reason: Image orientation corrected
charade is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 00:31   #1382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogishkamath View Post
Will this be mitigated to some extent by ESP (which is only there in AX7) ?
The ESP would help in cornering stability by selectively applying brakes on the left or right wheels.
Old 2nd October 2021, 00:49   #1383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Well, the cars from MG might looks and feels premium and value for money in every aspect, but the reality remains the fact that its just a cheap chinese knock off product
Who all agree with me here?
Sure, to each his own, but I would argue that while taking a decision we should take into account all options available and then decide.

If someone is okay buying a 20 lac car without a start stop button, no ACC and non body colour ORVMs, they should be making an educated decision about it, knowing what all else is on offer. Weather it be an Indian or Chinese brand, they are all out to make money and we are all consumers to them.
nasir88 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 01:13   #1384
Senior - BHPian

Going through the thread I see that most of the buyers are talking about AWD, AT, 7 seater and AX series. Thanks for sparing a diesel MX 5 seater for me

After driving Figo for a decade, I am hopelessly looking for a car which feels like an upgrade between 12-15L range. Creta or Seltos base variant have wait period of 9 month it seems. That is crazy! My only criteria is suspension comfort, good AC and easy ingress for aged parents. Any thoughts about XUV700 on these aspects?
recshenoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 01:23   #1385
BHPian

Slightly off-topic, Even I was thinking to buy Tata Safari but got shocked by this case of Mr. Gagan which is trending on Youtube.
Link to Part 2 down below. The link to Part 1 is there in the Part 2 description itself.
Sharing this here because many people were comparing Safari and XUV700 including myself. While you compare the Vehicles, do compare/check the after-sale services of the vehicle in your cart.

Mods please erase if inappropriate.

Last edited by rpmmachine : 2nd October 2021 at 01:24. Reason: added few more lines
rpmmachine is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 01:26   #1386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
AX7 has normal cruise control. AX7 Luxury pack has adaptive cruise control. Below is a snippet from the brochure.
But the website shows this
Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot-20211002-1.24.40-am.png
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 02:07   #1387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
But the website shows this
Attachment 2214045
Even after "officially" releasing the prices, variants etc after starving everyone for over 40 days since "soft launch" drama, seems Mahindra is still figuring things out. Quite haphazard, IMHO! Yet to understand why such kinks cannot be ironed out by these folks. Everyone's speaking about waiting for the dust to settle, arre bhai but when will it actually settle!
Old 2nd October 2021, 02:19   #1388
Senior - BHPian

Did a bit of value vs. feature comparison

This is based on the official brochure and the XUV7OO website's variant comparison as it was an hour ago!

(Click to open in full screen/ zoom)
Mahindra XUV700 Review-xuv7oo.png

For 1 lakhs more than the MX, the AX3 gets
  • Personalized Safety Alerts
  • Rear Wiper
  • Selective Unlocking
  • 10.25" MID and Infotainment
  • Valet Mode
  • Fog Lamps
  • DRL
  • 6 Speakers
  • Alexa, Wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay
  • Navigation
  • Adrenox (1 year subscription)
Essentially, most of that 1 lakh is going into the infotainment.

For 1 lakh more than the AX3, the AX5 gets -
  • Skyroof
  • Curtain Airbags
  • ESP (Only in Diesel though - go figure! )
  • Drive Modes
  • LED Headlamps with Auto Boost
  • Cornering Lamps
  • 17" Alloys
  • LED Sequential Indicators
  • Maps lamps in the 2nd row (coz of the sunroof)
This definitely seem VFM, lot of goodies for 1 lakh!

For 2 lakhs more than the AX5, the AX7 gets -
  • Plethora of ADAS features
  • 2 more airbags (totaling 6)
  • Cruise Control (the website calls this adaptive, while the brochure does not)
  • TPMS
  • Push Button Start/ Stop
  • Leather Interiors, Seat and Gear Knob
  • Powered Driver Seat with Memory and Welcome Retract
  • Steering Mounted Cluster Control With Custom Key
  • One-Touch Driver Side Power Window With Smart Close
  • Power Folding ORVM
  • Auto Headlamps
  • Rain Sensing Wiper
  • Reverse Camera
  • An additional year of AdrenoX (wonder what will it cost of the 3rd year)
  • Infotainment control knob in the gear console (Intellicontrol in M&M jargon)
  • 18" Alloys
  • Smart clean zone - air purifier
  • Dual Zone Climate Control
  • Front passenger seat ergo lever to push it forward from the back seat
  • Door Courtsy lamp
Doesn't look to bad for the money - though one wonders why features like reversing camera is not in the base variant itself, or at least in the AX3. And TPMS, cruise control and climate control - at least a normal, 'single zone' ACC in the AX5 at least.

M&M need not worry about cannibalizing the AX7 - ADAS is the selling point for this variant, along with goodies like memory seats, Leathers, Push button start/ stop. Missed Opportunity?

The elephant in the room is the L pack - for a whole 1.80 lakhs on top of the AX7, all you get is -
  • One more airbag (Knees)
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (with Stop and Go in the AT)
  • Telescopic steering (in addition to tilt in the other variants) (!!!!!)
  • Blind view monitor
  • 360 Degree Camera
  • Electronic Parking Brake
  • Passive Keyless Entry
  • 6 more speakers (totaling 12)
  • Built-in Dashcam
  • Electric Door Handles
  • Vanity Mirror Illumination (!!!!!)
  • Wireless Charging
No way this is worth 1.8 lakhs more. M&M has clearly targeted profits with this "option pack" - gimme yo money, optionally! Some of these features are no brainers to be in the standard offerings, maybe even from AX5 - vanity mirror illumination, really?!!!

Apart from all these, the biggest bummer is the lack of a true fully loaded variant - AWD with L pack, in both Petrol and Diesel. Heck the AWD will offer more tarmac hugging grip in that 200BHP turbo petrol!

I do not have a need now, but if I did, this would have been a definite contender.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 2nd October 2021 at 02:34.
ph03n!x is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 03:01   #1389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdarshan View Post
Here is the price list:
Attachment 2213965

I found the price of the Essential Accessories Kit too high at Rs. 35,000! When asked what all accessories are included in this kit, the sales representative had no clue and responded seemingly with a standard answer that it includes floor mats, mud flaps and other essentials for which they will share details later. Also, buyer has no option to opt out from this kit and is mandatory to purchase! Not sure if other dealers in Pune are also charging similarly.
Just to put things in perspective, seems the dealer is trying to earn extra money by jacking-up the heading-wise figures:

Tax & Registration has been clubbed. As per Maharashtra Road Tax calculation of 12% tax to be levied for cars in the.10-20 lakh bracket, for an AX7 Petrol AT, considering the cost of 19,19,000/- the road tax should come to 2,30,280/- while the dealer has mentioned 2,37,836/-. Even for Registration, the charges should be around 5,806/-, breakup as follows:
Registration fees: 600/-
Number Plate + Smart Card: 600/-
Road Safety Cess (2% of Road Tax): 4606/-

With this calculation, the amount should be 2,36,086/-. What is the explanation for a difference of 1,750/-?

Does Insurance cover RTI, Consumables, Engine Protect, RSA etc? Also what is the insurance period offered?

What are these Incidental Charges of 4,720/-? Seems like a different way of saying "Handling Charges!"

Essentially Accessories kit of 35,000/- being mandated as a compulsory addition to the price list is atrocious!

Please take this up with the dealer. These shady practices really need to stop!
IamNikhil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 07:29   #1390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
For 1 lakhs more than the MX, the AX3 gets
  • Rear Wiper
  • Adrenox (1 year subscription)
Pity why they skip rear wiper when models like the Magnite give them from base variant itself. Is the AdrenoX subscription for the Alexa, AI thingy only? Or does Android Auto come under it? Would gladly let the subscription lapse if it is the former and if it's the latter.

Quote:
For 1 lakh more than the AX3, the AX5 gets -
  • ESP (Only in Diesel though - go figure! i)
  • Drive Modes
This definitely seem VFM, lot of goodies for 1 lakh!
ESP should be mandatory for high riding vehicles especially such high powered models. In my book, ESP is needed more than side/curtain airbags. Wonder what is the default drive mode in the AX3.

Quote:
[*]Push Button Start/ Stop[*]One-Touch Driver Side Power Window With Smart Close[*]Power Folding ORVM[*]Auto Headlamps[*]Rain Sensing Wiper[*]Reverse Camera[*]Infotainment control knob in the gear console (Intellicontrol in M&M jargon)
[*]Door Courtsy lamp[*]Telescopic steering (in addition to tilt in the other variants) (!!!!!)[*]Vanity Mirror Illumination (!!!!!)
Really Mahindra? These are the features you are limiting to the top variants? Yet, those fancy pansy door handles are offered from base itself. Take away your AdrenoX and offer atleast some of these features in the AX3, AX5...sorry..MX3, MX5
DicKy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 08:35   #1391
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately that 'door' has become a barrier for me. I didn't like those handles at all, as I'd like something butch on a SUV. My enthusiasm has waned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Really Mahindra? These are the features you are limiting to the top variants? Yet, those fancy pansy door handles are offered from base itself.

Last edited by Sebring : 2nd October 2021 at 08:37.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 09:13   #1392
BHPian

On Road prices for Vayalat Mahindra, Kundanoor, Kochi.

I was invited by both the dealers in Kochi for a view of the vehicle and a discussion with the executives there. Both of them assured a TD as well. Don't know if I will be able to make it though, sadly.

Both these showrooms only have the AX7 for display and TD. I guess this is the situation everywhere across India. Again a smart move by M&M where people see all the premium looks of Ax7 and expect something similar in AX5 as well.

I hope atleast one person here is lucky enough to see a variant other than AX7 in flesh.

The tactics from M&M is as clear as daylight - they want people to go for AX7. They are trying to reduce the sales of AX5 as much as possible. A few forumers here in TBHP had itself said that initially emphasis will be on manufacturing AX7 and AX3, not MX and AX5. This pricing and feature distribution clearly supports that theory.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20211001wa0046.jpg  

APB98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 09:16   #1393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghunath Singh View Post
Booked AX 7 Diesel AT Luxury Pack for now. Going with Silver colour even though Midnight Black (Dark Blue accoring to me) looks awesome. Previous ride was almost the same colour, so we thought of going with a different colour. Silver is also easy to maintain.

Transferred 21K to the dealers account. The official bookings don't start until 7th Oct in my opinion. However, the Sales Manager said he will prioritise the booking once online systems start accepting the bookings, totally at his mercy now. This is from PPS Bangalore. I was all set to purchase the discounted XUV 500 earlier, the same Sales Manager advised me to hang on till the release of XUV 700, going in with trust, let's see.

A big thanks to the Team BHP community who keep providing technical insights, it helps in making an informed decision.
A quick update, booking is not accepted. I will have to book it online when the official booking starts maybe on 7th Oct. Using this opportunity to test the drive on Wed and take an informed decision. Will share my feedback.
Old 2nd October 2021, 09:20   #1394
BHPian

Quote:

Doesn't look to bad for the money - though one wonders why features like reversing camera is not in the base variant itself, or at least in the AX3. And TPMS, cruise control and climate control - at least a normal, 'single zone' ACC in the AX5 at least.

M&M need not worry about cannibalizing the AX7 - ADAS is the selling point for this variant, along with goodies like memory seats, Leathers, Push button start/ stop. Missed Opportunity?
This is exactly my concern with their mid-variant lineup and pricing. It's underwhelming to say the least despite that powerful engine, strong stiff chassis and state of the art suspension.

And why? (And I'm sure many are in this boat with me)

For someone with a budget of ~15L, the AX3 is the only option available which is not a VFM offering by Mahindra. This means they have to push the budget (and quite considerably) to ~20L to get an AX5.

And what people don't want to do while stretching the budget are compromises! But the AX5 is full of compromise even for some basic features like reversing camera.

So for someone with a 15L budget, the Tata Nexon continues to be the safest and most VFM product. Until XUV7OO's wild card entry a few weeks back with their killer base variant pricing, Nexon and Sonet were my only options. I guess with the underwhelming AX3 and AX5, I'll just revert to my old list.

And like me, I'm sure many customers who were eyeing the mid-variant (and likely the consumption group for Mahindra) will stay away because:

1) Too many compromises for the budget stretch
2) Concerns over initial batch niggles
3) Dealer games as we know the units are limited
4) And for diesel buyers, the fact that deliveries are going to be delayed (I was told that only ~20% of production is reserved for the Diesel variants)

On the other hand, the things that are going well for XUV7OO are still not enough:

1) The powerful "BMW" spec engines while awesome on paper, there is no practical use for regular drives and is going to be a fuel guzzler

2) The FSD suspension while an awesome kit, it ultimately comes down to whether the suspension tuning fits your drives. Events like nose-dive will be under control but if you're not too bothered about it (or a gentle driver) the FSD has very little to offer extra in the real world.

It's great to have the above, but for a practical driver these aren't enough to compromise the lack of basic features like reversing camera and an automatic climate control.

Very disappointed.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 2nd October 2021 at 09:28. Reason: some more details.
krishnakumar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 09:54   #1395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmachine View Post
Sharing this here because many people were comparing Safari and XUV700 including myself. While you compare the Vehicles, do compare/check the after-sale services of the vehicle in your cart.
Brand fanboyism / social media blitzkrieg is clouding their judgment, that is about it. Tiago / Nexon are now well sorted vehicles , not strong in drive train but okay otherwise - they are also less likely to need anything other than routine servicing.

The bigger Tata vehicles that are an assortment of parts from everywhere is going to make their owners regret that purchase sooner or later.

This thread has finer details of XUV, those who have been reading it will have 0 confusion whatsoever.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks