Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2021, 16:37   #1411
BANNED

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

I'm bit confused on choosing the cheapest but sturdy vehicle and am fine with compromising on skyroof, dual climate AC, ADAS, Automatic variant etc. My requirements for the 7 seater are:

1) Safety-cum-Vehicle dynamics
2) Comfort
3) Cost of ownership
4) Less than 18L on road

Attached my home work on price mapping of XUV700 with others and my heart incline towards to Innova for their best standards. Recommendations are welcome
Attached Images

Last edited by Wheels : 2nd October 2021 at 17:01. Reason: Image was not appearing in right format
Wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 16:47   #1412
BHPian

Finally managed to see the vehicle in flesh but couldn't wait for TD as the queue was quite long
My impressions of it:
Vehicle looks big from outside, road presence should be fine, I fortunately saw the vehicle in 4 colurs excluding red, looked good in all colors just the electric blue didn't look palatable to me.
Interior doesn't seem that big as you'd expect it to be after seeing the exterior. Front seats are absolutely comfortable, drivers seat is cool, everyone will find their own comfort position thanks to the electronic adjustments. Since I am a tall person, more than 6'1 , found the headroom on the lower side which usually is the case most of the time, seeing me other people also became conscious of the headroom. I seriously hope that I don't break the sunroof with my head while jumping the car on a speed breaker 😅.
Middle row is the place to be in XUV7OO, extremely comfortable, the highest headroom you can find in the entire vehicle 😀. Recline option makes it even more comfortable adequate leg space for more than 6 footers.
Despite of my height, I gathered some courage and entered the last row. If I am traveling in the last row I will have to be left alone,space available is very much like the state transport bus of Haryana, Rajasthan or Maharashtra roadways(I have traveled only in these), only difference would be softer cushioning and ac vents. It's surely usable and kids and teenagers might like it as the view of sunroof and the interior is very beautiful. It looked like the Mahindra engineers started making the vehicle from the front and became tired when they moved towards the back as the boot space and lid were also not as good as the front two rows of the vehicle felt.
The problem for me was that I was not able to see any other variants than AX7L as I would like to see the one I am buying before I actually do.
Impressed with the vehicle so far,
Planning for a test drive very soon.
Dark water is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 17:33   #1413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
I'm bit confused on choosing the cheapest but sturdy vehicle. My requirements for the 7 seater are:

1) Safety-cum-Vehicle dynamics
2) Comfort
3) Cost of ownership
4) Less than 18L on road
Also look at the Hector Plus Style 1.5 Petrol Turbo MT. This fits in your budget and having all standard safety features.
sixthsense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 18:31   #1414
BHPian

So looks like ESP is indeed available on AX5 DIESEL. The variants comparison table mentions so now, on the website.
To me this makes AX5 DIESEL very attractive for the VFM. Ofcourse I don't get the bells and whistles. Only downside I see now is the absence of 6 airbags as it comes with only 4 airbags.
Old 2nd October 2021, 19:05   #1415
BHPian

Hi All,

This is my first ever post on Teambhp, I have been following Teambhp since my teens but never had I owned a car so never registered. However today I went ahead and did the unofficial booking for XUV 700 and the next thing I did was check my mail which approved my membership here so as the saying goes "icing on the top". I would not right now repeat all the great info already shared in this thread, but would like to share a youtube video link of an accidental xuv that I just came across, and would like to know what the experienced people think of the build quality.

Monty1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 19:21   #1416
BHPian

Rear ended XUV 700. It has taken impact well

Mahindra XUV700 Review-xuv-700.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...68613743404748
Sarvodaya is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 19:34   #1417
BHPian

Please note that the AWD varient do come with below 2 major features from L varient.
1. EPB - Electronic Parking Brake
2. Adaptive Cruise control (available in AX7 AT also)

I was eyeing for AX5 D AT(o) AWD 5 seater. The nearest option now is AX7 D AT AWD 7 Seater.
Kashi053 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 19:34   #1418
BHPian

Had test drive of Petrol AT and Diesel MT.
It drives well and everything is perfectly tuned. Few points about fit and finish:
The bumper felt fragile as stated above. Also, the point where roof rail attach felt cheap.
Although the car looks perfect.
Planned to book AX7, waiting for Fuel figures, Warranty details as well as kerb weight and ground clearance.

Name:  GIF20211002174202.gif
Views: 1377
Size:  2.67 MB
[ATTACH=GIF20211002174,202.gif]2214303[/ATTACH]

Name:  GIF20211002174217.gif
Views: 1387
Size:  2.89 MB

I have one doubt that the rear door hinges are Metal and it is attached to the fiber how well does it perform in Indian road conditions?
Also there were not holes for the Number plate in the tailgate
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_0572.heic.jpgMahindra XUV700 Review-img_0573.heic.jpgMahindra XUV700 Review-img_0574.heic.jpgMahindra XUV700 Review-img_0576.heic.jpgMahindra XUV700 Review-img_0577.heic.jpg

Finishing was bad in all the cars under the tailgate. Front headlights too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0573.HEIC.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	2214344Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0574.HEIC.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	2214345Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_0570.heic.jpgMahindra XUV700 Review-img_0567.heic.jpgMahindra XUV700 Review-img_0568.heic.jpgMahindra XUV700 Review-img_0569.heic.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_0578.heic.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by rpmmachine : 2nd October 2021 at 19:40. Reason: added few more lines
rpmmachine is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 19:39   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Looks like a rather hard collision, seeing how the rear tyre has gone off alignment. The cabin shell looks to be uncompromised, which is a good thing.
Old 2nd October 2021, 19:48   #1420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmachine View Post

.. have one doubt that the rear door hinges are Metal and it is attached to the fiber
The rear door/hatch will have a supporting metal frame for sure to which the hinges would be attached to. The fiber sheet would be wrapped around the internal metal frame.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 19:50   #1421
Senior - BHPian

I'd gotten a chance to check out the XUV7OO today morning. Got invited by my contact to the public launch in one of the showrooms (yesterday 01 October, was a special preview for existing M&M auto customers, I was informed).

My observations, from spending time with an AX7L and AX7:

- The vehicle looks well built and well put together. Inside and out.
- Interiors does seem very nice and everything has a sense of good quality about them (hard plastics as a material choice is different from feeling of quality with what's implemented).
- The showrooms have mostly received only AX7 L variant as display and TD vehicles (AT and manual). However, the showroom i went to, has an Electric Blue AX7 (without L pack. See and read some interesting stuff about this one, below).
- Very good visibility of the bonnet, even with the seat height not being at the tallest setting. Good view of the road outside.

- External wing mirrors are large and seems adequate. Good visibility.
- The leather/ leatherette seats are excellently finished and screams premium. Execution leaves nothing to complain (unlike another recent, couple of months prior product launch). It's a bit of creamy white finish, not pure white nor beige. Will be soiled often, all the same. Regular maintenance might be needed.
- The AdrenoX driver MID and infotainment system screen, is tack sharp and beautiful to see. Whatever Mr. Veluchamy had explained in videos, they're all true. Lovely screen.
- The Sony 3D Immersive 12 speakers surround sound system, well I found it to be very nice and great clarity. Found it to be way, way better than the fluff i heard from a premium speaker brand in a Korean mini-SUV offering. And this was just over Radio. However, I recommend AWD variant prospective customers to NOT listen to it. You might start mentally wanting this equipment too.

- Middle row bench seat leatherette finishing just as good/ same as the front seats. The seat base is deep, resulting in great under thigh support. This could also leave you with an impression of lesser leg room in the 2nd row. Then front seats are pushed all the way back. Being 5"8, under thigh support was very good, for me.
- 2nd row arm rest has a very smart and thoughtful implementation of cup-holders. Instead of the horizontal placement in the front of the arm rest, in the XUV7OO, 2 cup holders are placed vertically, which means it sits in centre of the arm rest and 2 adult occupants on either side can also comfortably rest their arms. I found this design very wise.
- Big sunroof is a huge draw, i guess. Well, it's there.
- The roof mounted speakers on AX7 L variant, I assume that if one turns up the volume significantly, it 'might' annoy the driver (as the speaker is right above their head). Again, assumption.

- Clarity at volume is one (good) thing but to hear well, I didn't need to turn up the volume high either. Went up to 6 and then 9 and sounds sufficient at this level and speech and music were just fine, at these levels (hearing Radio). So maybe the roof speaker above driver won't be a problem, as long as incredibly high volumes are reached (contradicting, aren't i?).
- The 3rd row seat wasn't comfortable to enter or sit my 5"8 heavy build. My knees started touching the 2nd row seat back, in its most reclined position. I sense that individuals with medium build and under 5"7 might not be uncomfortable in the 3rd row. It's not an uber spacious place, but try it for yourself if those 2 seats matter.
- Ingress will be a challenge for the senior citizens and small kids. One has to lift their leg considerably, to enter the XUV. I realised this while i was finding it difficult to haul my own heavy torso into the 3rd row. Finding an footing to enter easily, wasn't easy. Partly due to the somewhat-high climb. (not exaggerating it to be THAR level, you get the gist). Do check this for yourself with your family, if you have senior citizen family members.
- Boot space with 3rd row up will allow for a couple of medium size duffle bags. Or if smartly positioned, I'm assuming the smallest airline carry on luggage could fit in (smallest of 7kgs trolley). Possibly, when the rear seats are not reclined. But with the 3rd row seats down, boot space is aplenty for golf bag or airline cabin luggages, etc.
- Steering wheel feels good to hold and leather stitching is nice and tight. Exudes quality. Tactile buttons also seem fine and doesn't give an impression that it might fall/ break off.

- Front seats are very accommodating. The seat retract when driver door is open and back to regular position when seated and door closed, i experienced this for the 1st time and it was great.
- Glove box has damped opening, so it won't drop down quickly, when opened. Plastics are more raw and non-soft touch plastics. But fine, has sufficient space including a tray space for tablets, documents, etc.. I didn't notice any provision for storing cards or pens, which some other vehicles have.
- Front driver/ passenger arm rest moves forward and slides back, very useful for driver and front passenger. And its also at a comfortable height (was for me).
- The Intelli Control joystick when rotated, controls and changes the volume level, when the infotainment system is in operation. Like most joysticks, it moves in 5 directions (left, right, front, back and downward press). That's just the joystick movements, I didn't find time to see how these movements translate to navigating the infotainment menu and options within.

I've tried to recollect all I could, possibly in the sequence i experienced, and shared. Didn't toy or play with the MID or Infotainment. Too many people to try those and didn't want to rush anything.

Photos of whatever I could take peacefully and properly. After the unveiling, the visiting prospects/ customers thronged the midnight black vehicle and taking photos became a challenge. Then I switched to the Electric Blue AX7, which i hadn't paid attention to much, until then. (this was the 1st unveiled XUV7OO, by some local politician, a Mahindra company executive and some other folks I didn't care to know of).

TD vehicles outside

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5912.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5913.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5914.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5920.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5925.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5927.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5953.jpg

The midnight back that was prepped for unveiling

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5928.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5917.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5918.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5919.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5929.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5932.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5935.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5933.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5954.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5937.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5947.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5948.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5949.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5950.jpg

Now, pay attention to this and I hope you'll spot the anomaly. Photos first and if you haven't spotted the anomaly compared to brochure + official XUV7OO website info, the text follows to describe it.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5939.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5938.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5940.jpg

(Hint: note the variant). Then....

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5941.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5942.jpg

I couldn't see if this was Manual or AT and forgot to ask. As I felt the gear stalk ball head, it felt like number inscriptions of a manual. Not 100% sure, of course.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5943.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5944.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5945.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5946.jpg

Did you get it or spot the anomaly? If not, well, its an AX7 variant manual WITHOUT L pack (no L badge and no, it didn't fall off). But did you find Luxury pack bits in it? Electronic Parking Brake with auto hold, roof mounter speaker, Sony 3D immersive sound audio option in infotainment, all in an AX7 without L, how? Did you also notice these options were there, but no illumination light for the front passenger side sunshade mirror with sliding cover?

Well, this is because its an older Mahindra TD vehicle, that has reached different showrooms. These models were kitted with some technology pack options to give customers demos of it, in showrooms. The AX7 variant for sale and the Customer deliverable pieces, will NOT be having these 'Luxury' pack options.

While checking out this specific AX7 Electric Blue display piece, in the 2nd row seat came and sat the Mahindra company senior official (who had come for the vehicle launch/ unveiling). While i was questioning the showroom sales person about this specific variant (as it was confusing and I was also somewhere getting irrationally excited the AX7 might actually come with these, in the AWD [hehe]), he interjected and started answering my questions.

He then introduced himself and started engaging with me. He explained these specific pieces were earlier Mahindra TD vehicles (perhaps for the media drives, for the demo purposes, etc.) and are not a representation of variants Customers will be delivered. Tie this together with RavenAvi's post #1398 and it will make sense to us. We then got off the car (to not block others and at this point i was more interested in speaking with him than any options).

We spoke for a good 10-15 minutes and i bounced off this forum's members' thoughts on the product mix and the lack of an AWD with Luxury features, people seeing the AX3 and AX5 products lacking options which they considered critical for the variant, etc. I also cracked the joke of people assuming accountants were sitting on product mix planning and we shared a laugh. He assured me that its not the case and for the company, throwing in different products and features options together and a, sort of, 'give it all', this is not how the variants are planned or arrived at. As is expected, he couldn't comment on any future product mixes or offerings within XUV7OO.

He took all the feedback and inputs i could give and importantly for Mahindra to not 'lose' customers by either disappointing them (post purchase) or not giving enough choice. He acknowledge and he also understood. I even encouraged and asked him to share feedback to the right teams that whilst most people are going to wait between 4-7 months anyway, why not make the time useful and make an industry first program for customers to choose options or customise the vehicle, thereby giving end customers true delight. He seemed very interested & honest in receiving all feedback, thanked me for sharing it all with him and then we went out ways. Through the discussion with me, he never seemed in a hurry to cut short and go, find someone else to engage with, etc. He listened attentively, was actively speaking as well.

In all, an interesting morning and well spent, for me. Spent almost 150 minutes at the showroom, including sneaking out for a breakfast for ~30 minutes.

I strongly feel (and we know from XUV5OO product lifecycle) that there will be newer and interesting variant mixes coming. Only a matter of when and how Mahindra Auto can keep such expecting customers engaged and not 'lose' them.

Became quite a long post. Thanks for reading, enjoyed writing this.
k_ajay is offline   (109) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 19:56   #1422
BHPian

I took an ultra small test deive of diesel AT (and also of petrol AT, as a passenger). After that I visited a Tata showroom to compare Safari.

Some observations which were new to me:

1. Middle passenger in the middle seat won't be comfortable, despite negligible floor hump. Because the seat is raised, and very firm. Also, the AC vent can damage the knee in case of sudden brake or rear ending.

2. Doors didn't feel as solid as in Safari. The piano black finished handles don't feel as good as the leatherette wrapped ones in Safari.

3. Front seats are more comfortable than Safari.

4. Last row is a compromise, especially because of non-sliding 2nd row. But unlike what someone said here, the 2nd row does recline.

5. Low height is a bummer. Ingress egress is slightly more difficult in the first row - the head can hit the roof.

6. Suspension was firm. Noticed side by side movement on speed breakers, like my Ecosport.

7. Thankfully the front armrest slides, and hence can actually act as an armrest, unlike most other cars.

Due todiv-gpt-ad-1497 and seat comfort, wife has rejected the car! I am still lusting for it. After checking Safari, we checked Triber. And we all thought that it had the most comfortable 3rd row, despite being the shortest in length.

Last edited by pseudo_coder : 2nd October 2021 at 19:57.
pseudo_coder is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 20:11   #1423
BHPian

Today visited pps motor, Bangalore to confirm my booking. I did my pre booking for xuv 700 on 6th July (yes based on spy images and team bhp). Had the test drive of AX7 MT and AT petrol. Vehicle and it's performance is good.

However, there are two issues

1. Only petrol cars are available. No diesel. I want to test drive diesel AT before confirming the engine option
2. Only midnight Black colour is available. My wife is not interested to choose colour without seeing it directly. We had an experience with my brother in law's Celerio where we choose yellow colour based on pictures and had to change it when we saw that in showroom.

PPS is telling that if I confirm my booking before 7th, my slot will be almost in the top of the queue as I paid the initial amount in July.

But, PPS is telling that any changes (either colour or the model) after 7th will be treated as new booking and I will loose my priority booking. It will take 2 months to get diesel test car and other colours in showroom.

I am thinking why should I book now if I am forced to pick a engine and colour by brochure.

Anyone here got this feedback from dealer on loosing your booking priority if you ask for changes?
ambadan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 20:13   #1424
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmachine View Post
The bumper felt fragile as stated above.
The bumper may be made flexible in the interest of pedestrian safety. The Front bumper of Fortuner also flexes slightly when pressed.
anb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 20:16   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambadan View Post
However, there are two issues

1. Only petrol cars are available. No diesel. I want to test drive diesel AT before confirming the engine option
2. Only midnight Black colour is available.
India Garage, palace road and anant motors, Bannerghatta road have Diesel ATs for TDs. I've seen silver, mystic blue as well with them.
Avinash_R is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks