Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2021, 21:23   #2131
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

I had booked the Ax7 AWD AT on the 7th Oct. I didnt get any confirmation email or message from Mahindra till date. Upon inquiry, the sales guy is reassuring me that the booking is confirmed during the first lot.
The form attached was shared by the sales guy from the local dealer. The form mentions a few numbers, however they dont resemble the OTF Numbers being shared here .
I had asked the sales guy to share the OTF Number today but no response till now. He told, he will share more details as soon as he gets any update from Mahindra.
Things are getting confusing now. I am planning to visit the showroom tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20211008wa0010.jpg  

Old 11th October 2021, 21:48   #2132
BHPian

Looks like we have official numbers from Mahindra.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20211011214402_facebook.jpg  

RachhaMan10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 21:51   #2133
BHPian

Spotted a XUV7OO TD vehicle near Bangalore-Hyderabad highway when we were coming back to Hyderabad from Mahabubnagar. I must say, the midnight black looked gorgeous and my dad saw the car going ahead and he told that 7OO will be a good replacement for our 10 year old Innova.
Mahindra XUV700 Review-622f5e6ee0d64d94b98601f4d46f3c9f.jpeg

And, I managed to take a pic of XUV7OO alongside MG Hector as well. I felt the Hector’s rear look overdone when compared to XUV7OO.
Mahindra XUV700 Review-6da9fce0ee9a438d845203cbc2697a77.jpeg
car_guy1998 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 22:07   #2134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritesh_Dogar View Post
The form attached was shared by the sales guy from the local dealer. The form mentions a few numbers, however they dont resemble the OTF Numbers being shared here .
I had asked the sales guy to share the OTF Number today but no response till now. He told, he will share more details as soon as he gets any update from Mahindra.
You can call this Mahindra number and ask the operative to give your OTF number:
yogishkamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 22:09   #2135
BHPian

I managed to book in the first lot, however my payment failed. Now Mahindra is not acknowledging the money received. My bank clearly says the money is with Mahindra. And I’m not sure if my vehicle is booked. Everyone at Mahindra is clueless.

Anyone else facing this issue? Any ideas, suggestions will be appreciated
Old 11th October 2021, 22:15   #2136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritesh_Dogar View Post
I had booked the Ax7 AWD AT on the 7th Oct. I didnt get any confirmation email or message from Mahindra till date. Upon inquiry, the sales guy is reassuring me that the booking is confirmed during the first lot.
Things are getting confusing now. I am planning to visit the showroom tomorrow.
The number higlighted right above your physical form is the one starting with Cxxx
Monty1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 22:25   #2137
Senior - BHPian

Looking at all the skeptical or some negative talk going on in the thread, about the ADAS and its emergency braking feature, especially when in the hands of inexperienced and immature drivers.

As a safety feature I highly appreciate it being in the XUV700 and believe its a very useful at that moment when its required.

But I wonder has Mahindra by any chance provided an option to disable somewhere in the settings menu, if required say in the city conditions if we are weary of getting rear ended?
Is anyone aware such an option to disable it temporarily?
Old 11th October 2021, 22:31   #2138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
Looking at all the skeptical or some negative talk going on in the thread, about the ADAS and its emergency braking feature, especially when in the hands of inexperienced and immature drivers.

Yes, this can be disabled. Also we can just set it to send an alert instead of breaking.
RachhaMan10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 22:40   #2139
BHPian

Quote:

But I wonder has Mahindra by any chance provided an option to disable somewhere in the settings menu, if required say in the city conditions if we are weary of getting rear ended?
Yes, I believe there is an option where you can choose between only getting feedback from ADAS vs actively engaging to take action
p_darshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 23:09   #2140
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that there is such an option to disable the emergency braking system and rather only alert the driver when needed.
The owner can live a peaceful life when the car is handed over to another person who's not well aware of the ADAS systems.
sridhar24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 23:20   #2141
BHPian

Quote:
Good to know that there is such an option to disable the emergency braking system and rather only alert the driver when needed.
The owner can live a peaceful life when the car is handed over to another person who's not well aware of the ADAS systems.
Yes it's a good option to disable but even otherwise the system gives a warning at first and after all the repeated warnings, if the driver doesn't act, then it will act by its own.
Vivek Menon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 23:29   #2142
BHPian

I just test drove the XUV 700 AT Petrol yesterday in Trivandrum. The Sleeba Mahindra folks were very courteous and sent the car home and gave me a good 20 minutes to drive. Sadly, the trivandrum traffic was atrocious.

Some of my observations, coming from the Jetta:-

1) This is one fabulously put together car. I know I'll sound like a broken record, but it absolutely oozes luxury ( ignoring the faux wood which the sales guy promptly said will be replaced with soft touch).

2) Loved the petrol engine. This is the first time (been driving diesels for too long) that I really enjoyed a petrol engine. There is a bit of lag in the gear shift but boy does it pick up speed.

3) Not a big fan of the steering. Felt too light honestly but that just might be me being used to driving a Jetta and an Innova. What it did do though was make driving in the city a breeze.

4) I loved the virtual cockpit and the maps were just awesome especially in the full screen mode. That screen real estate is gold. The Sony 3D sound system is also very very good and I only was able to listen to the FM. There is a little lag in the operation of the Virtual Cockpit menu using the steering controls.

5) Brakes were somehow not very confidence inspiring.

6) Did not like the doors or the door handles. Yes! after a Jetta thud, very few doors will ever do justice. If I do purchase it, these will work for my wife who loves slamming car doors! These are built for her that way.

Personally, the only feature I would majorly call a miss over the Jetta would be the front parking sensors. The 360 degree camera will make up for it as it really is good.

After having test driven the Audi Q2 and the Audi A4 recently, I felt really underwhelmed. For my portly frame(100+) and shortish height (5,9), the Q2 was just uncomfortable.
The A4 while comfy and beautiful to drive refused to put a smile on my face.

The XUV700 did. It seriously is a great product and in my opinion, a landmark in the Indian automotive scene. To paraphrase GTO, the XUV700 is 90% there for 50% of the money.
kvothe_rules is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 23:51   #2143
BHPian

After seeing the expected delivery dates, I had some doubts in my mind regarding the production process.

1. We all know that Mahindra had around 80 working vehicles on 15 August (media drive), the number had increased to more than 400 by first week of September (freedom drive across India). I am assuming that these vehicles ended up as demo/TD vehicles ,however, one can infer the production line has been running from before August at least.
2. A senior official of Mahindra said that 25k orders was 6 months of production which translates into around 4k vehicles per month.
3. Can we assume that the production of vehicles has started at full capacity from September or does the production has to start only after the orders are received?
4. If the production of vehicles has started from September would it be likely that the delivery period will reduce by 3 months since Mahindra must be having around 10k vehicles ready by November end. That being said what is preventing Mahindra from delivering the vehicle right away 🤔.
5. I request experienced members to kindly enlighten on these aspects, as to what principle govern the production of vehicles.
Dark water is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 00:03   #2144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty1 View Post
Anyone who has booked on 7th, have you got any communication regarding the actual delivery dates?
I had booked on the 7th and am yet to get a single call from Mahindra. There is absolutely no communication other than the banner on the website. But, I've been hearing from multiple folks now that the delivery schedules will be out within this week. It also seems to be certain, that the vin numbers will be mapped to booking IDs and there's absolutely no discretion that dealers would have, even in instances of cancellations. I guess all we could do now, is to hang in there and wait for more updates, hopefully within this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
I must say, the midnight black looked gorgeous
A lot of folks love this color and no doubt it's going to be quite popular. Just a heads up here - do check out the color in sunlight. Most people have seen this inside the showroom and it looks more black than blue - and that's how it's going to look at night irl. But, I've seen the car in sunlight, and in rain too - it looks shiny navy blue in the former setting, and a slightly more rounded (relatively dull-ish) blue in rain. While I think it's a unique color, I would urge folks to see this in natural daylight before they finalize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachhaMan10 View Post
Looks like we have official numbers from Mahindra.
Thankyou for sharing this across. Though, with Thar benchmarks, I would be really skeptical on the mstallion claim; not to mention that real world figures would be lower by atleast 3-4 vs ARAI; and drop another 2-3 for those going with the TC.

Last edited by bblost : 12th October 2021 at 00:19.
atsphenomenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 00:48   #2145
BHPian

So finally last evening I spent significant time checking out the car and the experience resulted in mixed emotions for me to put it briefly. Some members who would have read my previous posts on this very thread would be aware as to how I was asking potential owners to let the product mature a bit or at least take a comprehensive test drive, before taking the final call.

A lot of people got offended from my posts so I thought maybe I should have a really good look at the car, as it might have been possible that I was assuming things after an initial short experience. So here is my list (in no particular order) of what I liked and what I didn't after poking around the interior for over 45 minutes and pushing the salesman for a quite long test drive, to which he reluctantly agreed .

Pros:

1. Both engines are great in terms of power delivery as well as refinement (no surprises here). Mahindra nails this almost every time.
2. Clutch and gearbox combination is light and very easy to use within city traffic. The gearshifts are a far cry from XUV500's notchy shifts.
3. Has quite good road presence, a guy in a Range Rover was oggling at the car at the traffic light. (Note: Road presence is not to be associated with looks here, which are very subjective. Some people really liked the design while some found it to be overdone. I personally didn't like the front, the rear was good for my tastes though.)
4. Those screens (or screen I should say) which impressed me initially too. The clarity and respose are top notch, much like a mid-range to upper-end smartphone.
5. Auto gearboxes are good and almost on par with harrier twins.
6. The handling is very neutral and not unnerving at all. Certain things could have been better here though (mentioned below in cons).
7. Seating comfort is good and I found the overall back support to be really good as well, the thigh support could have been slightly better in the front seats. But it's not bad by any means, for some it would be more than adequate.
8. The tailgate made of fiber composite or plastic whatever is more than solid and I don't think anyone would need to worry about getting rear ended.
9. The steering is very light, I even felt it to be lighter than my EcoSport's at city speeds. This is very convenient and it weighs up well too, so no complaints here.
10. The Sony sound system is great, it really provides a premium 3D audio experience. The bass could have been more by default, but it can be adjusted as per your tastes in the settings I believe.

Cons:

1. Plastics at certain areas don't feel premium enough, especially for the price tag the higher variants command. The piano black door handles (scratch magnet) and the wooden applique on door pads looks cheap.
2. The sunroof mechanism on both the TD as well as the display car was making a 'krrrr' sound. Don't know if it was a fault or it got damaged due to repeated use by people.
3. Panel gaps could have been more consistent in a 28 lakh rupee car. Some of the outer plastics felt cheap as well (the black cover for taillight assembly - see the video I attached).
4. Interior colour options should have been given instead of the white-ish beige one standard on the top variants. Even the XUV500 had an option of walnut and purple (?) interior theme (based on car's colour).
5. I had very high expectations from FSD damping with multilink rear but the experience was underwhelming to be honest. Merely implementing something for marketing and actually integrating it properly are two very separate things.
A VAG crossover or a compass with a multilink rides far better and flatter than the Mahindra. Actually it didn't feel much different from the 500. The rear felt a bit skittish when taking corners on rough patches.
6. The pop out door handles though futuristic, had a bit of play (upwards-downwards) and I am a bit apprehensive about their longevity.
7. Irrational features distribution. The AX5 versions lack so many convenience and safety features like full keyless entry, auto climate control and curtain airbags even at 23-24 lac price.
8. That extended door pad plastic above the window line looks funny from outside, it almost seems like an afterthought. People who have the habit of resting their hands on that area would find the position very awkward.
9. Bugs! Damn you Mahindra , you had to somehow screw up again. I walked into the showroom with a fresh mindset but Mahindra wouldn't change I believe. Following were the issues I faced during the test drive:
- The Visteon display had a very noticeable and inconsistent lag while reversing or using lane change cameras. The car's movement displayed on the screens wasn't smooth and uniform.
- The high-tech screen flickered during the drive or I don't know if it was my mind playing games. But I somehow noticed it for a split second and told the same to the sales guy. He brushed it off and said "Sir aapka vehem hai, aisa kuch nhi ho skta. Gaadi he nhi bikegi yeh sab hone laga toh".
- The rear seats were creaking when passengers were shifting across and during ingress and egress.
- There was a faint rattle from the front left strut side when going over rough patches and undulations. This was disappointing as the car was only run around 732 kilometres when I started the TD.
- The manual gearknob had a very slight discoloration, it could have been due to people wearing rings. It did make a bad impression though, my father wears rings but our 8 year old EcoSport's gearknob is as good as new.
- A weird drone from the petrol engine between 2800-3000 rpm. Again it could be TD vehicle specific, but by now you know what I mean.

Conclusion:

The XUV700 is definitely a VFM offering catering to a very large segment spread across different prices. It features many segment firsts and has probably the best engine and gearbox combination among the competition.

All is not perfect though and the car simply doesn't feel worth 28 lacs for top end. Had the top end been for 23-24 (max), then it would have been a really really good deal. The dynamic package and the interiors don't feel premium enough at 28 big ones IMHO. Personally, I'd prefer to spend a couple of lacs more and get a far premium and rounded compass or a Tiguan Allspace.

All said the car is indeed very capable and competitive. A friend of mine who accompanied me during the drive is tempted to pick up an AX3 petrol because even he agreed that the car simply isn't worth more than 24 lacs. Also, I am attaching a video link of a not very famous YouTube guy who stated some negatives, to which I agree with him (I'm in no way affiliated to him). The car definitely feels built to a cost although Mahindra has cut costs very smartly in places the average Joe might not even notice.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but despite the segment highest power ratings, FSD, blah blah, I somehow wasn't able to connect to the car. It felt very soul less and there was no emotional connect (few people would understand what I mean). Then again, it's just my observation and others are free to disagree and state otherwise.

I stand by what I said earlier in this very thread that all the potential buyers and those who have booked should reconsider or at least postpone their decision. The product is not free from niggles and it would be wise to wait until at least the initial lots clear out. But once again my very best wishes to those who have already taken the plunge and are dead set on becoming the first few owners.

Cheers!
Lowflyer

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 12th October 2021 at 01:17.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks