Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2021, 20:12   #2206
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Finally had the chance to spend a considerable amount of time with the XUV7OO today. Although I did visit the showroom earlier to get an idea of the look and feel prior to booking, I didn’t want to be rushed during my TD and was prepared to wait. Spoke with my SA, Saneesh Sajeev at India Garage, Lalbagh Road and he asked me to drop by at 11 am today. Had 2 longish TDs and spent more than an hour and a half with the vehicle, understanding ADAS and other features. Kudos to Saneesh for being patient. He was also completely honest about what he didn’t know; he took notes and said he will get back, instead of saying some random nonsense. He even offered to send a vehicle home for the TD, but I didn't want to drive it around in Indiranagar traffic. I will definitely recommend him to all Bangalore folk considering the XUV.

A few personal observations:

1. Handles like a breeze in city traffic. The steering is very light and will hopefully weigh up nicely for highway rides but it definitely helped when it came to maneuvering Bangalore traffic. It did not feel like I was driving a vehicle of this size at any point. My wife loved it and she doesn’t like driving anything bigger than our Swift.

Under the custom drive mode, we do have the option to adjust just the steering setting (between zip, zap and zoom). So while the engine is in city or zap mode, we can select the zoom mode for the steering, which I liked. Will probably need to play around a bit to find the ideal setting for me.

2. Diesel is a bit loud. It is not bad by any stretch but perhaps I expected more because of all the reviews praising the refinement and NVH levels. Unfortunately, the petrol is not an option since I want the AWD. It shifts well and picks up speed before you realise. Overall, no complaints.

3. I was happy with the ride comfort. Drove over all the potholes I could find and it took everything in its stride. Switched to the second row when my wife was driving and even there the experience was pretty good.

4. The middle seat in the second row is a bit hard for my liking. All other seats feel great and the cushioning is just perfect. In fact, I thought even the third row was okay. I am 5’ 8” and on the heavier side and was not uncomfortable sitting in the third row. It does get tighter when the second row is reclined and may be uncomfortable for longer drives. But with no luggage space with all rows up, I guess long road trips with 7 on-board is not an option in any case. I would have picked up the 5-seater anyway if it was available.

Tried to get more information about how the AWD system works and my SA said “above 80kmph it will change to FWD” but he wasn’t very sure about the whole thing. Apparently it was the AX7 L variant that was available for their training as well, so no concrete information here.

Suitably impressed and no regrets with the booking. Only time I briefly reconsidered my decision is when the SA mentioned that the Thar Petrol AT HT waiting period has now come down to 2 months Its been a dream for so long that any mention of it makes my heart flutter.
a_chelat is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 21:04   #2207
Senior - BHPian

Hello bhpians.

Here is latest round of info on the XUV700.

1. The chips for the infotainment system are provided by Qualcomm. According to my sources, all the XUVs which were given to media personnel and for display and TD purposes have an older generation of chips while Qualcomm has provided Mahindra with newer and faster chips for the customer cars. This should improve the processing time for touchscreen commands and functions.

2. According to my sources initial lot of petrol XUV owners which have their deliveries scheulduled in the next 3 to 4 months can expect brake pad noise issue while later batches of XUV will be more or less free from it. Most likely XUVs produced till December this year will have this issue.

3. Mahindra has excess petrol engines in the plant as compared to diesel and also chips specific to diesel engine are in shortage which is why petrol production is being prioritized initially.

4. First lot of XUV buyers who are buying lower variants fitted with manual seat adjustment should lookout for excessive play in the seat when reclining especially the passenger seat. This will be resolved in later batches.

5. Initial lot of XUVs will also likely have more lag in reversing camera feed as in the car moves a bit later in the feed as compared to the actual motion of the car. This will also be resolved later.

6. The external consulting firm that Mahindra has hired for letting the customer know the exact delivery date of their beloved XUV700 is none other than Accenture.

7. Production capacity till January is around 5k units per month while it will be ramped up to around 9k units by the 2nd week of January 2022.

8. My sources are telling me that petrol XUV customers should not expect more than 5-6 kmpl for automatic and 6-7 kmpl for manual versions in bumper to bumper traffic. Getting double digit figures in city should be a cause for celebration.

9. The XUV900 will get a twin scroll turbo Mhawk diesel with 210 bhp while Mahindra may decide to plonk the same engine in the XUV700 when the facelift arrives.

10. This generation of Mhawk diesel engines will be the last diesel engines developed by Mahindra and future will solely be Petrol and Electric.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for more info.
ram87pune is offline   (208) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 21:21   #2208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_chelat View Post
Tried to get more information about how the AWD system works and my SA said “above 80kmph it will change to FWD” but he wasn’t very sure about the whole thing.
Ok this sounds really weird. What's the point of spending so much for AWD then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_chelat View Post
... the SA mentioned that the Thar Petrol AT HT waiting period has now come down to 2 months Its been a dream for so long that any mention of it makes my heart flutter.
I had to choose between Thar diesel and the new XUV700. Notwithstanding all the fundamental differences, I chose the xuv700 because of the possibly shorter delivery times (Thar diesel deliveries are about 10 months or more). Plus the issues reported on Team-BHP about DEF and fogging put me off.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th October 2021 at 05:33. Reason: Typo
piyush1.a is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 21:41   #2209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
7. Production capacity till January is around 5k units per month while it will be ramped up to around 9k units by the 2nd week of January 2022.
Thanks for the update. Any guidance on when the diesel deliveries would start and when that guidance will be shared with the customer.
Old 13th October 2021, 22:42   #2210
BHPian

Quote:
Hello bhpians.

Here is latest round of info on the XUV700.

1. The chips for the infotainment system are provided by Qualcomm. According to my sources, all the XUVs which were given to media personnel and for display and TD purposes have an older generation of chips while Qualcomm has provided Mahindra with newer and faster chips for the customer cars. This should improve the processing time for touchscreen commands and functions.

2. According to my sources initial lot of petrol XUV owners which have their deliveries scheulduled in the next 3 to 4 months can expect brake pad noise issue while later batches of XUV will be more or less free from it. Most likely XUVs produced till December this year will have this issue.

4. First lot of XUV buyers who are buying lower variants fitted with manual seat adjustment should lookout for excessive play in the seat when reclining especially the passenger seat. This will be resolved in later batches.

5. Initial lot of XUVs will also likely have more lag in reversing camera feed as in the car moves a bit later in the feed as compared to the actual motion of the car. This will also be resolved later.
While the first point is relieving, the rest of these are very disappointing. It's sad that even in 2021 a buyer has to expect and be prepared for niggles . All this being from a reliable scoop master makes it all the more worrying as well.

Also if the customer vehicles would get a better Qualcomm chip then why would the initial lot of the same have lag in camera (mentioned in point 5). I faced this lag in a TD vehicle and I reserved my criticism and mentioned that it could be pre-production vehicle specific when assisted by other learned BHPians.

All this pretty much summarises my apprehensions for not plonking that much money on an indegenous brand. Trust me when I say this, I would love to if the niggles are somewhat sorted before deliveries itself.

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 13th October 2021 at 22:55.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 23:06   #2211
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please clarify what does "Initial lot" and "later" means in the above statement ? Specifically, is this expected to be fixed within the the current 50K bookings itself or we are looking at these fixes after that ?
Old 13th October 2021, 23:51   #2212
BHPian

Quote:
Hello bhpians.

Here is latest round of info on the XUV700

8. My sources are telling me that petrol XUV customers should not expect more than 5-6 kmpl for automatic and 6-7 kmpl for manual versions in bumper to bumper traffic. Getting double digit figures in city should be a cause for celebration.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for more info.
9k units per month translates into 300 units per day which would be a great achievement for Mahindra. By this pace Mahindra should be able to clear the 50k delivery in less than 6 months.
Mileage of 5-7kmpl for petrol is worrisome, running cost of 17-22kmpl is way too high.
Dark water is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 00:01   #2213
BHPian

Quote:
3. Mahindra has excess petrol engines in the plant as compared to diesel and also chips specific to diesel engine are in shortage which is why petrol production is being prioritized initially.
Possibly explains why the petrol variant got no driving modes at all.

Quote:
So assuming they started final production since Sept that should mean everyone in the first 25k slot should get their vehicles by Jan end.

Quote:
I’m hoping by `later` you mean later via a software update. Laggy camera feed is a safety issue and hope it’s fixed sooner than later.

As for other issues such as brake pad noise or seat recline I hope Mahindra offers a free fix for them on 1st service for those who face it.
Tanmay007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 07:03   #2214
BHPian

Quote:

6. The external consulting firm that Mahindra has hired for letting the customer know the exact delivery date of their beloved XUV700 is none other than Accenture.
I doubt this information. I work for Accenture in the same division and haven’t come across any such news. Nevertheless, will check and confirm.

Thanks for sharing
p_darshi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 08:33   #2215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post

I’m hoping by `later` you mean later via a software update. Laggy camera feed is a safety issue and hope it’s fixed sooner than later.

As for other issues such as brake pad noise or seat recline I hope Mahindra offers a free fix for them on 1st service for those who face it.
I have noticed that the XUVs that had that false wooden trim had these camera lag issues, but the one with the leather trims, I did not find any lag during my extensive TD sessions. Moreover the prior ones did have rough edges around the tail gate and innards of the bonnet section, but nothing as such was found in the leather trim ones.
If someone else who goes for a TD can verify this, that would be great.
Coming to brakepads, I didn't notice the issue in either, but it could be also because the TD vehichles are relatively new.
Monty1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 10:04   #2216
BHPian

There was a news some time back saying that Mahindra would be coming up with a Black color (not midnight Black) for XUV 7oo.

Any further news of it?
Old 14th October 2021, 10:06   #2217
Senior - BHPian

Hundreds of Mahindra XUV700s at Chakan yard

Last week, we had reported that Mahindra's Chakan plant had a huge inventory of XUV700s ready for delivery. Well, now here's the visual proof. The stockyard is packed with hundreds of XUV700s.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20211013182126_whatsapp.jpg

Deliveries of the XUV700 are expected to commence between October 31 and November 6, 2021. Mahindra aims to deliver 10,000 units before the end of this year and 25,000 units before the end of February 2022.

However, given the kind of response the XUV700 has received, we can expect delays in delivery. It is said that the Red Rage colour will be readily available, while the Midnight Black option will have the longest waiting period.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20211013182128_whatsapp.jpg

The XUV700 comes with two engine options - 2.0-litre mStallion turbo-petrol producing 197 BHP and 380 Nm and a 2.2-litre mHawk diesel engine that makes 182 BHP and 420 Nm (MT) / 450 Nm (AT). Both engines come with a choice of a 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmission. All-wheel-drive will also be available as an option.

Prices for the XUV700 start at Rs. 12.49 lakh (ex-showroom).

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 14th October 2021 at 10:11.
TusharK is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 10:18   #2218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty1 View Post
I have noticed that the XUVs that had that false wooden trim had these camera lag issues, but the one with the leather trims, I did not find any lag during my extensive TD sessions.
One I took the TD on had leatherette trim (instead of the fake wood) but it still had lag. When I slotted it to reverse gear, it took 2-3 seconds for the camera to come on but once it was on, there was no lag in the feed when I was reversing.
This made me decide that I will never rely on the blind spot monitor feature lone before changing lane (even though the blind spot camera feeds came instantly).
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 10:41   #2219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush1.a View Post
Ok this sounds really weird. What's the point of spending so much for AWD then.
That is how AWD systems generally work.
Even in Duster AWD, AWD only works upto 60km/hr.
AWD is meant to help you out in tricky situations, which most of the times, happen at low speeds.

If you want to play WRC with your vehicle; Please find a Subaru/Cheverolet Forester, or Type 1 Fortuner, They are Fulltime AWD's.
akshay4587 is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 10:44   #2220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
That is how AWD systems generally work.
Even in Duster AWD, AWD only works upto 60km/hr.
AWD is meant to help you out in tricky situations, which most of the times, happen at low speeds.

If you want to play WRC with your vehicle; Please find a Subaru/Cheverolet Forester, or Type 1 Fortuner, They are Fulltime AWD's.
Thanks for clarifying. I did not know about this. I stand more educated
piyush1.a is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks