Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2021, 01:28   #2251
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush1.a View Post
Ok this sounds really weird. What's the point of spending so much for AWD then.
The duster AWD works the same way. It gets cut off at 60kmph.

I guess it is something to do with the system. In duster, there is a central locking between both the axles that provide 50-50 power. I think this is not advisable at high speed (cornering).

Well that was a guess. Anybody who has better explanation may chip in.
Old 15th October 2021, 04:41   #2252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post

10. This generation of Mhawk diesel engines will be the last diesel engines developed by Mahindra and future will solely be Petrol and Electric.
Hold up! Is this not major news? Or is there another thread regarding this that I have missed?

I understand with increasingly stringent emissions norms, diesels are falling out of favour, but diesels are also what Mahindra is known for.

Mahindra makes some incredibly competent diesel engines, and most of their sales are diesel.

Also, diesels provide a lot of utility that petrol and electric cannot provide, namely an economical and practical way to cover long distances.

For Mahindra to cease development of new diesel engines is very surprising. Can anyone shed more light on this?
kadanaJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 08:54   #2253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Thanks. Add AX7 P MT to the list in my previous post.

No AX7L P MT variant on offer. The AX7L petrol comes with an Automatic transmission only.
Thank you. Is there any possibility of a AX7L P MT?

My friend hates auto transmission and has driven 2 generations of XUV500 MT AWD. He wanted to try petrol this time and sadly has to miss out on both AWD and L trim. He mainly missed the knee airbag in L trim. He would happily pay more to pick the top trim.

If future focus is petrol, one can't understand this bias against Petrol and MT for AWD and L trims. Maybe due to low volumes, but they are keeping true enthusiasts away from their best features.
Old 15th October 2021, 09:30   #2254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post

Found this video showcasing the Adrenox app. Nice to see such a polished app, Mahindra has set another benchmark in the connected car space.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ePRXTnuCjyo
Anyone in the forum able to get hands on with the Adrenox App?

when I tried to register in the App, it is saying KYC not done.
Old 15th October 2021, 10:21   #2255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
9. The XUV900 will get a twin scroll turbo Mhawk diesel with 210 bhp while Mahindra may decide to plonk the same engine in the XUV700 when the facelift arrives.
Thank you for the timely juicy info. So in other words. Wait for an year before buying the 700.

The XUV900 sure looks to be a successful status symbol when it will be launched. Just hope they will go the length and give it pillarless doors.
Quote:

10. This generation of Mhawk diesel engines will be the last diesel engines developed by Mahindra and future will solely be Petrol and Electric.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for more info.
No worries. They have an excellent engine line-up that will take them to the EV age. Unlike some other desis who think they can leap into the EV age by outsourcing engines till then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
Hold up! Is this not major news? Or is there another thread regarding this that I have missed?...For Mahindra to cease development of new diesel engines is very surprising. Can anyone shed more light on this?
Nothing to be alarmed. I guess like most other companies this is their final ICE family. They will continuosly improve and produce the engines. It is just that they won't develop an all new one. Mahindra's current engine line-up looks competent enough for another decade atleast.
DicKy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 11:34   #2256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
Hold up! Is this not major news? Or is there another thread regarding this that I have missed?
That's not surprising news really...A number of manufacturers have already stated that their current ICE would be their last iteration. Mercedes also has decided not to invest any more in internal combustion engines. We are on the brink of EV era. Europe and US already have a fair coverage of EV chargers and the vehicles have more than sufficient range for their usage purposes. I suspect a similar trend will very soon start in India as well. Around 2025 is when i think we will start having some form of usable EV charging network infrastructure in our country as well (maybe sooner if govt pushes for it). Around 2030, we may have enough EV charging stations that we will no longer be too worried about range anxiety. I also suspect by that time govt policies would be heavily against ICE vehicle ownership. So, all signs point to this generation of ICE vehicles being our last proper ownership (at least for people like me who like to buy and own a car for at least 8 years). I will for sure shift to an electric vehicle for my next vehicle.

Also, on a separate note, we have to understand that EV's have instant torque. So, in a way at slow or starting speeds, they have more power available than even diesel vehicles. So, the primary advantage of diesel will be covered by electric vehicles.

Furthermore, developing a new line of engine is a very capital intensive task. There is not sufficient time for manufacturers to develop an all new engine as they will not have sufficient time or range of models from which to use such engines and recover their costs. At best, they may keep tweaking their current engines to ensure all govt emissions regulatory guidelines are met. In the case of Mahindra, their 2.2 liter Mhawk engine, as you rightly pointed out, is a very competent engine already. Its been is use for a long time already for a range of products. They still managed to impress us by tuning the engine for various power levels (including the new 450 NM level for XUV 700). Not to mention they are meeting the current stringent emission norms as well. And rumors are that XUV 900 will get even more of a power boost from the same engines. So, clearly there is still life left in them for further upgrades. I am sure that Mahindra will simply keep upgrading their engine for the next decade and will shift over to EV as and when the market demand picks up.

Last edited by BharathXUV700 : 15th October 2021 at 11:43.
BharathXUV700 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 12:19   #2257

Did anybody have any sales consultant contact them after the booking.
The email from Mahindra said "We look forward to having you in the Mahindra family. Your Sales Consultant will be in touch with you shortly for the next steps".

I booked on 7th within first 20mins - Petrol version - No sales consultant has contacted me yet. No further intimation via email/sms/whatsapp either. Just the initial booking email/message.

Wondering if deliveries start last week of October for Petrol, shouldn't they have contacted customers by now as they would need time to get the vehicle registered and all formalities done?

No news/information yet, about the external consulting firm coming out with their algorithm based process to deliver the car.

wondering if dealers are catering to customers who booked via them if deliveries start end of Oct & does the online booking matter ?
Old 15th October 2021, 13:06   #2258
BHPian

Had asked dealer to book AX7L AWD on 7th , which they managed to book on 8th & forwarded me OTF number. Today while rechecking, found that AWD is missing in description & inquired from dealership. They indeed forgot to mention AWD while booking
Now asking me to book another unit( AWD) by paying 21 K and they will manage when time comes ! Pls guide
Old 15th October 2021, 13:33   #2259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhiraj View Post
The email from Mahindra said "We look forward to having you in the Mahindra family. Your Sales Consultant will be in touch with you shortly for the next steps".

I booked on 7th within first 20mins - Petrol version - No sales consultant has contacted me yet. No further intimation via email/sms/whatsapp either. Just the initial booking email/message.
I confirmed from my dealership, they have all booking details. I suggest you call your dealership they will guide you. I believe their sales teams are overwhelmed by the demand and hence not calling.

I got a call from Mahindra call centre confirming my details, a WhatsApp message and an email. I was already in touch with dealership.
Old 15th October 2021, 13:45   #2260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhiraj View Post

Wondering if deliveries start last week of October for Petrol, shouldn't they have contacted customers by now as they would need time to get the vehicle registered and all formalities done?

No news/information yet, about the external consulting firm coming out with their algorithm based process to deliver the car.
I also booked online, on 7th October. Guess we are all sailing in the same boat. No one from the dealer's end has contacted for any further procedure. When I called the dealer myself, the standard reply I got was "We'll get in touch with you soon." Honestly, this has started to get on my nerves now. There's just no clear communication.

I don't even have the final calculation of the On-road price yet. If deliveries are expected from last week of October, that's barely 2 weeks from now. When will people negotiate for insurance, accessories etc? When will the RTO formalities be completed? In this whole secretive stuff going on right now, in absence of any clear direction forward, customers are totally left in the lurch.

Also, if they had to begin deliveries within 2 weeks, the vehicles should have already been in transit or being loaded for transport to various dealerships across the country by now.

IMHO, Mahindra has just bought some time with this whole algorithm blah blah!
Old 15th October 2021, 14:05   #2261
BHPian

A 100km mixed usage mileage test for the diesel variant gave about 14km/l. Seems to be on par with what we've been hearing. These numbers are pretty decent for such a powerful engine.

Tanmay007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 14:53   #2262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionManali View Post
Today while rechecking, found that AWD is missing in description & inquired from dealership. They indeed forgot to mention AWD while booking
I can understand your frustration as I am in the same boat too! I booked Petrol Automatic and they have booked the Petrol Manual. I had written to Mahindra as well as the owner of the dealership 3 days back. They cant even assure me that if I make a new booking, I wouldn't go back in the queue.
First their online booking system which was based on some RNG and now this.. Surely, this is not the way to treat customers of a 20 Lakh Rupee car. They are making the customer suffer due to their own mistake.
Old 15th October 2021, 14:55   #2263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
A 100km mixed usage mileage test for the diesel variant gave about 14km/l.
This person seems to have driven it more on the highway with very little traffic. Sure, he's taken it out of the city too so he would've found some traffic. Even on the highway, it seems like it was driven with a very light right foot (i could be wrong) and not exceeding 100 kmph. Realistically, I feel it'll give around 10-11 kmpl in the city and about 13-14 kmpl on the highway. I've mentally prepared myself for these figures. Can't wait to get my hands on mine!
10nitin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 16:08   #2264
BHPian

Had a chance to test-drive a bit extensively on good and bad tarmac for about 20 Minutes, below are my observations.

Variant – AX7L P AT

Performance
This petrol engine has good performance and probably only enthusiast choice. I felt MT would be a better pick compared to AT. The gearbox was not the most responsive one, the upshift and downshift are super smooth for cruising but for any spirited driving I felt the gearbox was a bit confused. When I was trying to slow down for few seconds and floor the pedal, the gear was often at -1 position and had to rev high and then change to the desired gear.

ADAS
A few posts have a lot of discussion about this, let me try to share a detailed experience here

Lane Keep Assist
A feedback via steering vibration is provided when Lane Changes are made without switching on the indicators. The steering very slightly tries to put the car back to lane, but it can be easily overpowered by normal steering effort. Overall, you can change lane without switching on the indicator (why would you do it though) and the car will steer but only after yelling by the form of vibration and trying to correct the lane.

AEB (Auto Emergency Braking)
It does not engage when indicators are ON while switching lanes. However, I did feel AEB kick-in when I did not switch-on indicators and made a lane change. AEB kicks in when there is a vehicle in the parallel lane, and you try to overtake it without crossing the car fully.
ADAS can be switched off and I would prefer to keep it off inside city

Interiors
A lot of interior aspects are discussed above, so I will keep this short.
  • Front and Middle row comfort is great.
  • Sound system is wonderful.
  • Alex is a nice handy feature, finally I feel a Voice Assist system people will use.
  • Fit and Finish is good.
  • Sky roof does not auto close when the Car is locked, this is an inconvenience.
  • EPB makes the dashboard and front look premium.

Suspension
I felt the suspension was good, on bad tarmac’s (lot of potholes) it did not throw the occupants to either side but at the same time it was not super smooth. I felt it was nice upgrade to my existing feel-it-all suspension in Xylo.

My current booking mindset is to wait for Jan 2022 and then book the car by mid-Jan.
sudharshan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 16:57   #2265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10nitin View Post
This person seems to have driven it more on the highway with very little traffic. Sure, he's taken it out of the city too so he would've found some traffic. Even on the highway, it seems like it was driven with a very light right foot (i could be wrong) and not exceeding 100 kmph. Realistically, I feel it'll give around 10-11 kmpl in the city and about 13-14 kmpl on the highway. I've mentally prepared myself for these figures. Can't wait to get my hands on mine!
If driven with a heavy foot and at 120 Kmph + speeds on Highways and in bumper to bumper traffic, realistic expectations for me for a Diesel AT are around 11-12 Kmpl on Highways and about 8 Kmpl in bumper to bumper traffic.

Last edited by Manojah : 15th October 2021 at 17:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks