Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2021, 13:47   #2236
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
It will also improve fuel efficiency. BTW, I saw a separate button to enable AWD, so I am not even sure if it is a full time AWD.
XUV AWD is a front wheel drive vehicle under normal running conditions.
For AWD, there are 2 modes in XUV, one is the automatic mode and the other is the Lock Mode. By default, the vehicle is in auto mode and the system decides when to enable TOD (Torque on demand). This happens when it detects loss of traction at the front wheels. The Lock mode can be used to lock the AWD system (override the automatic system), thereby sending power to all the 4 wheels. This can be used when you already know that the help of AWD is required. I've personally used this multiple times, during tricky situations like steep slippery inclines, small excursions through forests etc. in and around my hometown in Kerala. The Lock mode will automatically cut out, after the vehicle attains a certain speed (need to check the manual for the exact speed though)
A350XWB is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 13:48   #2237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
FWIW there is a dedicated 4WD button in XUV700.
I knew that there is a dedicated 4WD engage button but the question is, when the button is not engaged, will the car be in '2WD mode' (where the 4WD doesn't kick in even when it detects slip) or 'Auto mode' where it drives as 2WD on most occasions but the 4WD kicks in when a slip is detected.
Renault Duster AWD seem to have 3 modes : 1) 2WD 2) 4WD Auto 3) 4WD Lock.
I am curious if that is the case with XUV700 also or does it only has 2) 4WD Auto 3) 4WD Lock.
Old 14th October 2021, 15:15   #2238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
'Auto mode' where it drives as 2WD on most occasions but the 4WD kicks in when a slip is detected.
XUV500 is having this behaviour and I believe that XUV700 is no different. Auto and Lock are the only two modes and in Auto mode, the system kicks in whenever required.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 15:56   #2239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
XUV500 is having this behaviour and I believe that XUV700 is no different. Auto and Lock are the only two modes and in Auto mode, the system kicks in whenever required.
I agree! Please find below an extract from XUV500 owners manual for refernce.
Source: XUV500 AT BS6 Owner manual

Quote:

12.13 All Wheel Drive (AWD) Operation

In an AWD vehicle, power is transmitted to all the wheels. This is managed by the AWD System which intelligently transfers torque to all four wheels. AWD system includes an electromagnetically operated clutch, which is controlled by an ECU. According to the driving conditions, this system automatically delivers torque to the rear wheels.

AWD system is available in two operating positions viz., AUTO mode and AWD LOCK mode.

12.13.1 AWD System AUTO

Once the ignition key is turned ON, AWD system by default turns into AUTO mode. In AUTO mode, whenever a slippage is detected in the FRONT wheels (slippery surfaces like icy roads, wet surfaces, etc.) the torque is transferred to the REAR wheels by the AWD system.

12.13.2 AWD Lock
AWD LOCK button is located on the central bezel switch bank. The LED on the switch turns ON when the AWD Lock is activated. In this mode, a fixed amount of torque is transferred to the rear wheels irrespective of the driving condition.
Even in lock mode, for daily drives, it is only logical that AWD gets disengaged after a set speed. (I couldn't find any references to that speed in the manual though). But for high-speed handling and traction control, there are other electronic safety features such as torque vectoring, traction control, etc (part of ESP suite). The purpose of AWD lock is to give you that extra traction when you think that you might need it (slush, ice, steep incline, etc), which usually happens at slow speeds.
The Alchemist is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 18:11   #2240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
XUV AWD is a front wheel drive vehicle under normal running conditions.
For AWD, there are 2 modes in XUV, one is the automatic mode and the other is the Lock Mode.
Thank you for the explanation. Clears why there was a separate button.
Old 14th October 2021, 18:25   #2241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
The purpose of AWD lock is to give you that extra traction when you think that you might need it (slush, ice, steep incline, etc), which usually happens at slow speeds.
One question for clarifying- is there any use of AWD on a rough stone ridden path, something like one might see on way to Spiti from Manali, where the path is embedded with stones, many times small pointed rocks. I guess the tyres don't really lose traction in such a case but might need extra power to push through some situations.
Thanks in advance
piyush1.a is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 19:00   #2242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
availability of ESP in lower variants?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaanSingh View Post
Any news about ESP, which variant will it be available from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by charade View Post
any info on ESP availability across variants?
Quote:
Originally Posted by msksalman View Post
ESP is available from AX5 onwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msinghal80 View Post
ESP is available in all models above AX5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogishkamath View Post
Will this be mitigated to some extent by ESP (which is only there in AX7) ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by APB98 View Post
ESP is not present for Petrol AX5 variants (AT and MT) right ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Again ESP without active dampners is not of much use is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
For the 7OO which weighs upwards of 1,700kgs, ESP is critical for road manners, stability and driver control.
I stand corrected.

Mahindra has introduced a new official brochure for the 7OO and while reading the fine print, I noticed this:-

"Electronic Stability Program (ESP) is available on AX5 (Diesel), AX7 (both Diesel and Petrol), AX7 Luxury (both Diesel and Petrol), and all Automatic variants."

Mahindra XUV700 Review-untitled.jpg
(sentence marked with arrows pointing upwards)

It was there in the first released official brochure too. Apologies for not noticing this earlier.

Which means, ESP is available in:-

AX3 P AT
AX5 P AT
AX7 P AT
AX7L P AT

AX3 D AT
AX5 D MT
AX5 D MT (7)
AX5 D AT
AX5 D AT (7)
AX7 D MT
AX7 D AT
AX7 D AT AWD
AX7L D MT
AX7L D AT
AX7L D AT AWD

Quote:
The latest-gen ESP Suite includes traction control, vehicle dynamics control, hill descent control, roll over mitigation, hill hold control, secondary collision mitigation, brake disc wiping, torque vectoring by braking and electronic brake prefill.
The Automatic variants also get the leather gear lever as standard equipment as well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf desktop-brochure.pdf (5.32 MB, 309 views)

Last edited by RavenAvi : 14th October 2021 at 19:03. Reason: added new brochure PDF.
RavenAvi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 19:23   #2243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
It works just fine, I have a MT Mazda 3 with same ADAS features and adaptive cruise control works post 30kmph and disengages itself when the speed falls below 30 where driver has to intervene.

It basically keeps the same gear and use it as an automatic with rpms increasing. Once it reaches the rev limit, it will start asking you to upshift just using clutch. No need to touch brake/accelerator.
Guess for XUV, adaptive cruise and smart pilot assist there only for automatic versions and not manual ones.
Vivek Menon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 20:38   #2244
BHPian

Quote:

Mahindra has introduced a new official brochure for the 7OO and while reading the fine print, I noticed this:-
Thanks RavenAvi for the brochure, I just noticed here that the AWD versions get EPB which I didn't know and thought was an exclusive L pack feature.
mindovermotor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 21:22   #2245
Senior - BHPian

Has Mahindra officially asked Dealers to not accept further bookings? I ask this since they have secured 50,000 orders and by their own admission they are going to take anywhere between 6-10 months to deliver these cars.

If Mahindra hasn’t stopped accepting their bookings, what does a potential buyer do? Book now and accept the risk of a much higher price during delivery, 8-10 months later?
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 22:00   #2246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post

6. The external consulting firm that Mahindra has hired for letting the customer know the exact delivery date of their beloved XUV700 is none other than Accenture.
So, Mahindra is not taking the services of Tech Mahindra, a subsidiary of Mahindra Group.

Last edited by NH08 : 14th October 2021 at 22:04.
Old 14th October 2021, 22:30   #2247
BHPian

Quote:
I stand corrected.

"Electronic Stability Program (ESP) is available on AX5 (Diesel), AX7 (both Diesel and Petrol), AX7 Luxury (both Diesel and Petrol)
Wouldn't this also include AX7 P MT and AX7L P MT?

A friend booked AX7 P MT assuming this would be there.
Mogs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 23:16   #2248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH08 View Post
So, Mahindra is not taking the services of Tech Mahindra, a subsidiary of Mahindra Group.
They hired an external firm to remain impartial, it's a good thing, this means nobody, including Mahindra employees can get any special treatment.
Tanmay007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 23:33   #2249
BHPian

Has anyone got any information regarding extended warranty and AMC options and their costs for the XUV700
Monty1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 01:24   #2250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs View Post
Wouldn't this also include AX7 P MT and AX7L P MT?
Thanks. Add AX7 P MT to the list in my previous post.

No AX7L P MT variant on offer. The AX7L petrol comes with an Automatic transmission only.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks