Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2021, 16:10   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

This is a fantastic product from M&M and quite surprising at the price point they are offering it.

Giving the Indian consumer a feature packed car like a Mercedes on the interior and driver focused like a BMW, with that powerful engine and well behaved driving manners is truly commendable especially at this price point.

As many I truly hope these features work as they designed too and not create issues for owners and get them stranded in middle of nowhere or else, that is the first thing everyone will point out too on how M&M were able to achieve such a low pricing for a feature rich product with powerful class leading engines.

Finally, hope just like the Germans its inspired from it too doesn't get finicky when it comes to battery voltage

Wishing M&M all the success for the XUV 700.
SnS_12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 18:34   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
All simulations show a structure without a skyroof. How would the car fare with one? G-NCAP tests the lower variants and in case of XUV7OO, the lower variants are available without skyroof. Shouldn't there be a crash testing of highest variant too?
Sunroofs hardly affect structural integrity at least for frontal impact. Structural members and load paths mainly comprise the lowermost parts of the vehicle body behind the bumper (longitudinal members ]=]* typically called the 'crumple zone') which in turn attach to higher strength (typically hot press-formed) frame rails below the door ]=]*, the door pillar, and the windscreen pillar along the sides of the roof. The sunroof is placed centrally on the roof and would hence have little to no role in frontal impact and I highly doubt it would play a role in side impacts with small cars either. I am not too sure about pole tests though some other cars in Europe which have sunroofs have passed them comfortably.

Where sunroofs become a major source of concern is rollover since they can cause occupant ejection, especially large panoramic ones that are becoming increasingly common. Sunroof airbags to prevent this from happening are under development but are not commonplace yet. Today, electronic rollover prevention systems often come bundled with ESC modules. There's also a problem of unrestrained children standing out of the sunroof, sometimes even on the armrest, which poses a serious risk of ejection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I wonder why the footage was cut off before rebound. Ideally the curtain airbags should deploy in front crashes to reduce forces from the dummy's head hitting the window glass (or B-pillar if the windows are left open) during rebound. NCAP tests don't measure deceleration (magnitude only) during rebound but they should have deployed nevertheless. Especially where only a small portion of the front of the car impacts the opposing car, curtain airbags become useful in front crashes to prevent the head from hitting the portion of the dash right of the steering wheel if the front airbag is missed. Again, not the NCAP 40% ODB test but in other real-life scenarios. Then again, I'm no expert so I trust the manufacturer to have a reason for them not deploying.

It really looks like Mahindra is trying to achieve a 5-star rating and I hope they do, given their efforts. I wish them the best of luck in this regard and look forward to their second 5-star car. I expect that they will sponsor a Global NCAP test soon now that production has started (since Global NCAP will not test a car that is not type approved). I wonder if the results will be released separately or along with their next round of tests (Kiger and possibly (MG seems to deny it now) Hector and maybe more)

*text-pictograms depicting location of respective members in bold, rightmost ] is the front bumper. Moderators, please delete if it is deemed that they hamper readability.

Last edited by ron178 : 25th August 2021 at 18:41.
ron178 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 20:50   #453
BHPian

Is Mahindra testing the car in the in-house facility before sending it to any reputed agency, Global/ASEAN NCAP?

I don't think any external agency will accept results/scores of a test conducted in-house. That also means that we are some time away from getting the crash results.
Old 25th August 2021, 23:29   #454
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuvamBansal View Post
Is Mahindra testing the car in the in-house facility before sending it to any reputed agency, Global/ASEAN NCAP?

I don't think any external agency will accept results/scores of a test conducted in-house. That also means that we are some time away from getting the crash results.
You should know that manufacturers have to conduct crash tests of every model sold in India to ensure that it passes basic safety crash tests(as per UN95 regulations IIRC). These tests are conducted before the vehicle is homologated and thus certified to be sold to the consumers. The Global NCAP tests on the other hand are not mandatory but voluntary in nature. There is no relationship whatsoever between the mandatory crash tests and the NCAP tests. So it would be unwise to draw any conclusion regarding the availability of crash test results from such assumptions.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 23:47   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
You should know that manufacturers have to conduct crash tests of every model sold in India to ensure that it passes basic safety crash tests(as per UN95 regulations IIRC). These tests are conducted before the vehicle is homologated and thus certified to be sold to the consumers. The Global NCAP tests on the other hand are not mandatory but voluntary in nature. There is no relationship whatsoever between the mandatory crash tests and the NCAP tests. So it would be unwise to draw any conclusion regarding the availability of crash test results from such assumptions.
Thanks for enlightening
I knew that manufactures have to ensure that all their vehicles pass the basic safety crash tests but I always believed that the same is conducted by ARAI, Pune as a part of homologation. Also, haven't seen videos of any other manufacturers internal crash test, might also speak about the interest of the car community in XUV700. Not sure how fairness is ensured if manufacturers are allowed to conduct these in-house.
Old 26th August 2021, 01:22   #456

Apologies if this has already been answered earlier or in a different thread, but how bearable is the speed chime alerts? My personal experience suggests VAG to be worst and Tata to be bearable. Which end of the spectrum would Mahindra be at?
Old 26th August 2021, 06:41   #457
Senior - BHPian

XUV 500 impressed in 2011, the XUV 700 impresses in 2021. I'm not a big fan of the front headlamp design and small spare wheel, but the SUV looks fab overall.

Indian manufacturers have grown and matured tremendously in the last decade or so with some well thought out designs. I hope it is executed to perfection while manufacturing the XUV 500.

Good luck to Mahindra.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 08:34   #458
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuvamBansal View Post
Thanks for enlightening
I knew that manufactures have to ensure that all their vehicles pass the basic safety crash tests but I always believed that the same is conducted by ARAI, Pune as a part of homologation. Also, haven't seen videos of any other manufacturers internal crash test, might also speak about the interest of the car community in XUV700. Not sure how fairness is ensured if manufacturers are allowed to conduct these in-house.
Manufacturers do conduct internal crash tests for testing and design validation purposes. This is done in addition to the multitudes of computer simulations (120+ in the 7OO's case) done for covering scenarios which are not otherwise covered in standard crash testing scenarios (its not feasible to conduct an actual physical crash test to evaluate every design change/iteration). While Tata supposedly had the first in-house crash test facility in the country (and thus Tata cars were always among the safer choices in the segment), I think almost every manufacturer has one now.

Case in point, look at the picture below (screen-grab from the launch video of the XL6). At the top right corner of the picture, you can see the XL6 undergoing frontal-overlap and side impact crash tests. These must have been done internally by Maruti as we know that GNCAP never conducted a crash test for the XL6 and no picture of an assessment conducted by a government agency could have been released publicly.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot-281.png  

Last edited by sierrabravo98 : 26th August 2021 at 08:42. Reason: Adding something
sierrabravo98 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 09:05   #459
BHPian

Any idea if the mstallion engine is E20 compatible now that the government is going to mandate 20% blending from 2024 in the metros ?
Old 26th August 2021, 10:50   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hello bhpians.
2. Mahindra is in advanced stages of setting up a plan which will enable them to produce the XUV700 at their Nashik facility to bring down the inevitable waiting periods.

Question: Is there really a need , as it is MM is replacing the xuv 500 with the 700 . What happens to the XUV 500 line in that case ?

3. According to my sources Mahindra has cut costs in the XUV700 where aam junta won't see or notice like rubber beading on the doors or engine cover. My sources also tell me that Mahindra has used an inferior quality of protective coating for wires and cables in the underbody of the XUV.

View: This is something that all OEM do on a continuous basis . Entire departments are deidicated to reducing cost .As long as it fulfills performance and safety criteria should not be a issue

Stay tuned for more info.
Drove the Kushaq recently . It has the same thin glass probably as MUL . Could hear a lot of external noise .

Last edited by abhijit 2284 : 26th August 2021 at 10:50. Reason: better view
Old 26th August 2021, 11:43   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

Meanwhile, testing rounds of the 7OO continue. This mule was spotted late last night.

From the alloy design and the gear lever, it seems to be an AX5 MT variant. (could be the 5 seater version)

Interior spyshot shows the dual-screen Visteon unit dominating the front dashboard, ACC controls, push-button start, steering-mounted controls, adjustable armrest and the beginning of the skyroof cover.

The handbrake is manual, though.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-1.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-2.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-3.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-4.jpg

(AutoRevzz)
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 11:57   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Meanwhile, testing rounds of the 7OO continue. This mule was spotted late last night.
I am unable to understand this. Testing is ok but why this camouflage now when it has been launched, shown to world? Still contemplating some design changes?
Old 26th August 2021, 12:16   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijit 2284 View Post
Drove the Kushaq recently . It has the same thin glass probably as MUL . Could hear a lot of external noise .
This issue is even there in my Kodiaq. There is lot of external noise from the side door (mainly air noise) and unless music is playing it annoys me a lot. My previous Santa Fe had very little NVH.
AnandB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 12:37   #464
BHPian

Quote:

From the alloy design and the gear lever, it seems to be an AX5 MT variant. (could be the 5 seater version)

Interior spyshot shows the dual-screen Visteon unit dominating the front dashboard, ACC controls, push-button start, steering-mounted controls, adjustable armrest and the beginning of the skyroof cover.

The handbrake is manual, though.
Seems like AX5 will too miss out on cruise control. No switches could be located on right side of steering wheel and the steering wheel looks similar to AX3's from the official teaser video.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20210826123454.png  

bwildrd#1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 12:55   #465
BHPian

Quote:

I believe the testing is an ongoing process with Mahindra even after the car officially launches. They would keep doing it to smooth out any niggles detected by the beta testers and for updating the car for future face-lift.

Anyways, this brings me to a question. Does anyone have any insider information or source as to when the bookings, official launch and the remaining prices are to be announced? What we have are speculative prices, which in my opinion are not that precise. The booking date as per Autocar is Mid-September with deliveries commencing in October. Any information would be appreciated by all members.
Moto_Bear is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks