Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2023, 11:33   #1501
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG

Never thought I'd write this, while going to work I noticed some jerks under acceleration. I wasn't driving hard, usual route, usual speeds, usual traffic, etc. The jerks were very faint, but I noticed it. The jerks were not rapid or strong, they were more like normal upshift jerks but my car was in D4 and accelerating. Next as soon as I saw a clear patch of road, I floored the throttle in S mode and did a spirited drive for about 5 kms. There were no jerks then. Scanned the car with OBDEleven, no errors on the drivetrain side, engine, transmission, electrical, etc. I just hope this was a one time thing and I swear I have never given the a car a single drop of 91 RON fuel, always 95 RON XP95 from the same two bunks I have used since forever. My car is at 37K kms in 18 months of ownership. Since there are no relative errors popping up, I know for a fact that informing this to ASC will not mean anything to them. I do plan to just go and get the car scanned with them once just to register the fact this happened, may be their ODIS does a deeper scan and something shows up, may be just a recorded event of drop in fuel pressure or something.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 23:06   #1502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post

But I don't think the root cause has been identified. It is highly likely that I will be stranded again
This is sad to hear. Had a belief that the newly released models are devoid of such issues. By the way how did you realise it as misfire? Did the vehicle not start from ignition when you tried switching the car ON from an OFF position or due to this misfire, the running vehicle came to a standstill in the middle of a travel?
Old 2nd December 2023, 00:14   #1503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Never thought I'd write this, while going to work I noticed some jerks under acceleration.
Do try flooring on all modes including an uphill - might be a miscalculated software glitch. I believe it's not a hardware issue.

DSG often fails to compute correctly.
SilverSmoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2023, 10:48   #1504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Never thought I'd write this, while going to work I noticed some jerks under acceleration. I wasn't driving hard, usual route, usual speeds, usual traffic, etc. The jerks were very faint, but I noticed it. The jerks were not rapid or strong, they were more like normal upshift jerks but my car was in D4 and accelerating. Next as soon as I saw a clear patch of road, I floored the throttle in S mode and did a spirited drive for about 5 kms. There were no jerks.
It was always present in my car since the day of purchase and it still is. I noted that in my review too that there is a Metal CLANK sound and a mild jerk between D4-5-6. I started to notice when I was driving sedately with the music off on the highway. May be you’ve noticed now and it was always present. BUT I have to say that it is not always present, it’s only on highway driving is when I feel it.
Jangra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 15:34   #1505
BHPian

Took the Kodiaq out for a short drive today. The problem is back, the whole car shakes violently even under moderate acceleration. Took some videos. Will post them later today.
novice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 15:41   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
Took the Kodiaq out for a short drive today. The problem is back, the whole car shakes violently even under moderate acceleration. Took some videos. Will post them later today.
If it’s reproducible, I suggest you take it and demonstrate to the service advisor / mechanical expert at the ASS - if it’s not fuel and any other electro - mechanical issue, driving like that may cause secondary failures.
Old 3rd December 2023, 19:26   #1507
BHPian

Attended the Skoda Exploration drive yesterday at Nandi Hills, Bangalore. This was primarily intended for their prospective new customers.

Few updates:-

1) Went there to get one single clarification directly from Skoda India - that's is, whether the MY23 (Manufactured Year 23) models of Kodiaq are E20 fuel complaint. Happy to report that it's confirmed by them that it is compliant to E20 fuel. The latest cars that are getting shipped out from Factory do have the E20 stickers, but all the MY23 model cars shipped earlier too this year are E20 fuel compliant. Some MY23 cars which have got shipped without the stickers was because of delay in receiving the official certification from authorities on E20 compatibility.

2) With the New Gen Kodiaq getting launched in Europe (the left hand drive model), India can expect the New Gen Kodiaq (right hand version) to be launched for India and finally arriving in India (again a CKD version) not before 2025. So the entire 2024 is expected to run through with the current Kodiaq itself.
kurups is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 21:54   #1508
BHPian

Test drove the Kodiaq TSI today. The demo car was a range topping L & K version. Here are a few of my observations as the owner of a W204 Mercedes C200 Avantgarde (Facelift) and a 2021 Maruti Ertiga CNG. I also sometimes use a 2021 Innova Crysta GX 2.4 BS6, which is my dad’s company car. This was the third car I test drove as I am contemplating a purchase sometime soon. Before this, I have also test driven the Hyundai Tucson Petrol and Innova Hycross. A day prior to driving the Kodiaq, I also checked out the Audi Q3.

Dealership response and experience:

I contacted Jai Auto, Safdarjung enclave on a Sunday morning and was promptly assigned a sales rep. Mr. Durvesh Kumar promptly brought the car to my place. He was responsive, knowledgeable and friendly. Definitely a 10/10 experience. The response at Mahindra and Toyota dealerships in the same area was not even in the same league.

The car:

- As indicated by above posts, the dealer was confident that all MY2023 Kodiaqs are E20 compliant.

Exteriors:

-The build quality and fit and finish are top notch. The doors are heavier and more solid than the doors of my Merc. The Tucson was comparable, but the Innova isn’t even close. The 9 airbags and 5 star Euro NCAP rating leave no doubt about the fact that this is a safe car.

-It may not have the road presence of a Fortuner, but it does have a nice sophisticated vibe to it. Ground clearance is also more than an Innova and I don’t see it being a problem for 95% of Indian roads.

Interiors, space and comfort:

-The cabin Quality, fit and finish are absolutely top notch. The dash top is entirely made up of soft-touch leather like material. Even the door pads have a mix of hard plastic and soft touch padding.
The steering wheel, stalks and switches also feel several notches above the Hycross and in the same league as my C-class.

-Close the heavy doors and you will be impressed with the sound deadening. The car insulates you really well from whatever is going on outside. The Innova is not at all comparable.

-Equipment levels are excellent. 360 camera, memory seats, headlight washers, foot operated electric tailgate, a Canton sound system etc. Misses out on the ADAS stuff though. I did kinda miss the blind spot assist at roundabouts.

-The seats are made up of nice and dense foam. They hold you really well and won’t be an issue even on 10 hour plus drives. Front seats are heated, ventilated and even have Lumbar adjustment. Another thing I noticed was that the the memory seats adjust to the presets on a single touch of the button. In my W204 Merc, you have to keep the button pressed until it attains its desired position. The headrests aren’t electrically adjustable though, unlike my C-class.

-The space on offer is quite good for a car of this size. The middle row is definitely more spacious than the Audi Q3, although the Innova Hycross may have an upper hand here. As others have mentioned before, the third row is not meant for adults. It is set very low and the backrest is upright. May be alright for short journeys, but I would keep them folded.

-Excellent luggage space. Even with the third row up, you could fit a medium sized suitcase along with a small one. With the third row down, you get a cavernous space that can swallow pretty much everything one could think about transporting in a personal car. (Including washing machines and small refrigerators).

Driving the Kodiaq:

-Start it up and you immediately realise that it isn’t as quiet as the Japanese cars, but the heavy sound insulation easily keeps that in check. The engine has a nice Swiss watch like ticking sound, similar to my C-class.

-The pick-up is absolutely mind blowing. A gentle flick of your right foot and the car just flies! I drove it in the city, so did not get a chance to check its cruising capabilities, but at the short empty stretches I came across where I could push the car, I could attain triple digit speeds with no effort. It surely feels faster than the Tucson petrol, but was comparable to my C200 and the Innova Hycross in EV mode.

-The dynamic chassis ensures that the ride and handling balance is really good. The car feels sure footed and glued to the road. At no point of time does it feel like a big fat SUV. U-turns are sedan like and the body roll is well contained. The Innova and Tucson also have that heavy feel, but this giant dances better than those two.

This car has excellent speed masking capabilities. Before you realise it, it is already time to slow down. And when you do have to shed some speed, the brakes do an excellent job.

To conclude, I have no doubt about the fact that this is an excellent car. The L & K has just had a price cut, and can now be had for 45 odd lakhs, On-road, Delhi. I also have a feeling that there is still room for negotiation.

It has everything you would expect from a long distance tourer. The best part is that it is a fine balance between durable and luxury, something which none of the others in this price bracket can do as finely. They are either utility biased (Fortuner) or too less SUV-like (GLA, X1 etc.).

Am I sold?

Well, this was certainly the most impressive car among the three I test drove. It is the only one that feels like a proper upgrade from my W204 C-class. However, I am still going to decide after I drive the Toyota Fortuner. This is undoubtedly the better car to drive, but the 40 lakh rupee question is, is it easy to live with?
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-img_5434.jpeg  

2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-img_5435.jpeg  

2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-img_5436.jpeg  

2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-img_5437.jpeg  

2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-img_5438.jpeg  

2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-img_5439.jpeg  

2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-img_5440.jpeg  

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 3rd December 2023 at 22:13.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 22:57   #1509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there no shake/vibration at idle? If there is heavy vibration even during idle, it could be just the misfiring (one of the cylinder not firing, probably because the ignition coil is gone). This happened to my previous car and problem was not picked up on an OBD tool and there was no engine check sign either. But an independent workshop guy was able to detect it in no time. (He used a crude/unconventional method of pulling out the coil going in to each cylinder when the engine was running and bringing it back to see if it creates sparks. One that didn't produce sparks was singled out to be the problematic coil). Of course my car was far simpler compared to a modern VAG car where the source of the problem could be far more complex/difficult to spot.
Guna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 23:35   #1510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
-The doors are heavier and more solid than the doors of my Merc. The Tucson was comparable, but the Innova isn’t even close.
-Close the heavy doors and you will be impressed with the sound deadening. The car insulates you really well from whatever is going on outside. The Innova is not at all comparable.
-The pick-up is absolutely mind blowing. A gentle flick of your right foot and the car just flies! but the 40 lakh rupee question is, is it easy to live with?
Did gunmetal alloys made a comeback in L&K? Or its just my illusion?

Almost all Fortuner owners who have driven my car has same opinion - car is more well built than Fortuner & doors are certainly heavier.

With Canton sound - it's my personal lounge.
Even after 1 year 6 months, I am addicted to drive her & I constantly have an itch to satisfy - even on no drive days, I go out alone on a spin & come back smiling after my date.

Last edited by SilverSmoke : 3rd December 2023 at 23:37.
SilverSmoke is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 08:31   #1511
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the Video, it feels far worse than what the video shows.

Last edited by novice : 4th December 2023 at 08:33.
novice is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 09:16   #1512
BHPian

Quote:
http://Youtube.com/watch?v=7PnrBkyjk...3Q_IzTMoW2MGqU
This may not be a like for like comparison, but my 23 year old Ford Ikon petrol was exhibiting very similar behaviour. Turned out to be a faulty ignition coil; No current was being supplied to cylinder number-4, leading to a misfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke View Post
Did gunmetal alloys made a comeback in L&K? Or its just my illusion?

Almost all Fortuner owners who have driven my car has same opinion - car is more well built than Fortuner & doors are certainly heavier.
Hello,

The alloys are plain silver. However, the accumulation of brake dust residue makes them appear gun metal grey.

Great to know that you are enjoying the car! I tend to notice that there is indeed something about Skoda/VW cars that makes the owners feel an emotional connect with the car.

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 4th December 2023 at 09:19.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 10:39   #1513
BHPian

Quote:

Escalate your matter to Skoda India if not sorted out locally.
It's really terrible to see such a fantastic machine in this condition.

Also, don't drive moderate distances until it's corrected permanently - it looks dangerous.
SilverSmoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 14:29   #1514
BHPian

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
If it’s reproducible, I suggest you take it and demonstrate to the service advisor / mechanical expert at the ASS - if it’s not fuel and any other electro - mechanical issue, driving like that may cause secondary failures.
The last time I showed it to them it wasn't that bad. It was severe the day before but ran better with only few random misfires when service technician took a test drive. It is back to it's worst currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurups View Post
This is sad to hear. Had a belief that the newly released models are devoid of such issues. By the way how did you realise it as misfire? Did the vehicle not start from ignition when you tried switching the car ON from an OFF position or due to this misfire, the running vehicle came to a standstill in the middle of a travel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Is there no shake/vibration at idle? If there is heavy vibration even during idle, it could be just the misfiring (one of the cylinder not firing, probably because the ignition coil is gone).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
This may not be a like for like comparison, but my 23 year old Ford Ikon petrol was exhibiting very similar behaviour. Turned out to be a faulty ignition coil; No current was being supplied to cylinder number-4, leading to a misfire.
Engine idles well, there is no hint of any problems. No error code either. Issue starts only when RPM goes beyond 2k. It is either an electrical or fuel issue. I suspect it is the fuel pump in the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke View Post
Escalate your matter to Skoda India if not sorted out locally.
It's really terrible to see such a fantastic machine in this condition.
Also, don't drive moderate distances until it's corrected permanently - it looks dangerous.
I plan to take the car to PPS Skoda in a day or two. It is scary indeed, stopped driving.
novice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 15:33   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurups View Post
Attended the Skoda Exploration drive yesterday at Nandi Hills, Bangalore. This was primarily intended for their prospective new customers.

Few updates:-

1) Went there to get one single clarification directly from Skoda India - that's is, whether the MY23 (Manufactured Year 23) models of Kodiaq are E20 fuel complaint. Happy to report that it's confirmed by them that it is compliant to E20 fuel. The latest cars that are getting shipped out from Factory do have the E20 stickers, but all the MY23 model cars shipped earlier too this year are E20 fuel compliant. Some MY23 cars which have got shipped without the stickers was because of delay in receiving the official certification from authorities on E20 compatibility.
Thanks for posting this. I suppose you mean all BS6.2 models (obd 2) from MY 23 are E20 compliant ? Mine is MY23 model bought in Apr 23 ( Manufactured in Feb 23) and doesn't carry the E20 sticker but I was told it would be E20 compliant.
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks