Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2022, 14:39   #436
BHPian

Re: 2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZhivago View Post
I know the Excite has like a huge backlog and its being given to fleet operators in white.

Any idea what the waiting period is like on the Excite?
Old 27th December 2022, 22:26   #437
BHPian

Quote:
I am told that the vehicle I booked will be reaching the dealer in a few days. I have the PDI document of TeamBHP but I wanted to know if there is anything specific I should look out for when I get the ZS EV. Any suggestions/pointers borne out of your experience when doing your PDI would be really helpful. God Speed
The TeamBHP list is comprehensive. Remember to photograph the Vin number so that you can check that you are being delivered the same vehicle that was hown to you. You should also check the condition of the tires to make sure there is no damage while transporting. Good luck and congratulations.
rajeshrajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 03:01   #438
BHPian

PSA: Looks like dealers in Bangalore and Chennai have ready stock of the Exclusive variant in multiple colours. Do ask around if you are still waiting for your car.
Old 28th December 2022, 08:45   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdhikR View Post
Any idea what the waiting period is like on the Excite?
I Just know that they are giving priority to the fleet operators for the Excite variant and almost all the vehicles are white in color. To be honest this waiting period stuff is just for people who are patient and dont like to pull strings because I see people getting delivery of vehicles in a short period even during the whole Chip Shortage era across brands, not just MG. The MG ZS Exclusive has a waiting of less than 2 months officially and they have all the colors coming in, even some blacks, which were the unicorns.
DrZhivago is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 16:31   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshrajan View Post
The TeamBHP list is comprehensive. Remember to photograph the Vin number so that you can check that you are being delivered the same vehicle that was hown to you. You should also check the condition of the tires to make sure there is no damage while transporting. Good luck and congratulations.
My friend did the PDI as I was not around and the car had already reached the dealer. Thank God its looking sorted and the TeamBHP checklist sure helped in educating me beforehand and I asked him to look at all those areas. Specifically photographed the VIN and Motor Number. I will now be doing the full payment and then wait for the preferred registration plate number to open up next month God willing.

The tyre that came with the car is the Continental UC6 and not the Michelin ones which were there when I test drove the vehicle in April. I guess they changed the tyres on the new deliveries. Can you and the others specify the tyre makes you all got? How does the UC6 compare? Any idea? God Speed
Old 30th December 2022, 11:04   #441
BHPian

Quote:
The tyre that came with the car is the Continental UC6 and not the Michelin ones which were there when I test drove the vehicle in April. I guess they changed the tyres on the new deliveries. Can you and the others specify the tyre makes you all got? How does the UC6 compare? Any idea? God Speed
I got the Continental UC6 as well. The good thing is that its made in India. However, i feel that at 40psi and above, the tyre noise is high. i don't recall the Michelin tyre noise being as high.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-img_20220926_163324.jpg  

rajeshrajan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 12:42   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
However the air conditioner in the ZS EV is excellent and we have never found it wanting unless in Eco mode where the air conditioner becomes almost obsolete.
Turn off the AC control which diverts the air on the legs and you should notice a significant improvement in cooling even in the Eco mode.
shrey220 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 13:04   #443
BHPian

ZS EVs delivered after mid October 2022 have slight changes than the previous ones.
1. The Grey colour has gone a shade darker.
2. Headlights had 'SAIC' written on the unit, but the newer ones have 'MG'. I'm assuming now the headlights are borrowed from the Astor since both share some components.
3. The dummy radar unit from the front bumper has been removed, while the previously delivered cars had it.

Mine was delivered on 5th October 2022 and I immediately noticed these differences during PDI.
There are exposed cable connections through the 12V battery under the co-driver seat which is sad to see, considering we are paying a premium.
Also, the inner fender walls have a covering which is not even done properly with uneven gaps for each inner fenders. Wondering if anybody else is facing this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-img_20221214_152814633.jpg  

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-img_20221214_152824733.jpg  

Old 1st January 2023, 14:55   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrey220 View Post
ZS EVs delivered after mid October 2022 have slight changes than the previous ones.
1. The Grey colour has gone a shade darker.
2. Headlights had 'SAIC' written on the unit, but the newer ones have 'MG'. I'm assuming now the headlights are borrowed from the Astor since both share some components.
3. The dummy radar unit from the front bumper has been removed, while the previously delivered cars had it.

Mine was delivered on 5th October 2022 and I immediately noticed these differences during PDI.
There are exposed cable connections through the 12V battery under the co-driver seat which is sad to see, considering we are paying a premium.
Also, the inner fender walls have a covering which is not even done properly with uneven gaps for each inner fenders. Wondering if anybody else is facing this issue.
1) The grey color does have a change like the other colors I believe. They changed the names of the colors two months back. The grey is now called Aurora Silver, while it was called Ashen Grey or silver before. I like the current grey better. The white has also gone through a change I believe, but its not easy to notice. I like the white and the grey even though most people prefer the black and the red.

2) I think all the direct China sourced components have been replaced with the ones being already made for the likes of Astor. The first few batches of the car had imported Michelin tyres which have now given way to Made in India continentals. The Michelins were expensive and a really good set for the vehicle but now they have gone into cost effective mode.

3) The Dummy Radar was a talking point when the car was first out with many claiming its not a dummy unit and that there are radar components inside. I wonder why they didnt give this car the full set of ADAS features since its a pricey vehicle. All said and done, I hate the auto braking functionality being rolled out now by manufacturers. It's dangerous in a country like ours I believe.
Old 2nd January 2023, 08:24   #445
BHPian

Quote:
1) The grey color does have a change like the other colors I believe. They changed the names of the colors two months back. The grey is now called Aurora Silver, while it was called Ashen Grey or silver before. I like the current grey better. The white has also gone through a change I believe, but its not easy to notice. I like the white and the grey even though most people prefer the black and the red.
True. Earlier I was upset that the delivery took almost 8 months, but after seeing the new shade of silver which I own now, I don't regret the wait.

Quote:
I hate the auto braking functionality being rolled out now by manufacturers. It's dangerous in a country like ours I believe.
As mentioned by many who own this car in Australia and New Zealand, level 2 ADAS is available there but the ZS EV uses brakes instead of the regeneration which they think is a missed opportunity, given the fact that this is an EV.
Old 2nd January 2023, 16:20   #446
BHPian

Quote:
1) The Michelins were expensive and a really good set for the vehicle but now they have gone into cost effective mode.
I was disappointed as well to know that Michelins are no longer being provided with the new batches of ZS EV but I don't think the UC6 is bad tyre or MG is cutting costs by providing inferior tyres.

The UC6 is a good soft compound tyre with relatively low rolling resistance which is important for an EV. MG has gone for the 94V type-rated tyre. This is rated for carrying a load of around 2500 KGs at 240 KMPH. MG could've easily gone with a lower rating and saved some money but good to see them opt for a high quality made in India tyre.
shyampsunder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 19:27   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
I was disappointed as well to know that Michelins are no longer being provided with the new batches of ZS EV but I don't think the UC6 is bad tyre or MG is cutting costs by providing inferior tyres.

The UC6 is a good soft compound tyre with relatively low rolling resistance which is important for an EV. MG has gone for the 94V type-rated tyre. This is rated for carrying a load of around 2500 KGs at 240 KMPH. MG could've easily gone with a lower rating and saved some money but good to see them opt for a high quality made in India tyre.
I didnt mean to say the tyres were bad but the Primacy setup is something enthusiasts appreciate but it was a costly affair for MG and I didnt mean to say MG cheapened the tyres but instead chose a cost effective Made In India product. I have never used Continentals on any of my vehicles until like last year when I got Continentals for the Fortuner because Dunlops werent available. Its a decent set up I feel. Dont know how long its going to last compared to the Dunlops though. Anyways I am glad the UC6 is rated good in your books as I am not that knowledgable when it comes to tyres and brands. I stick to the factory tyres and never upgrade to another brand in most cases. God Speed
DrZhivago is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 11:29   #448
BHPian

The network provided with the car is Jio. Anyone has any idea if its possible to change the provider? Can I switch the network using esim numbers as well as the imei details? If yes, then where can I find it?
Old 4th January 2023, 23:29   #449

Hello Everyone,
I'm back after a brief hiatus . I brought home the "Red Dragon" on the 28th of Nov. It was a roller coaster ride before and after the delivery. I explored almost all the options in the 15 lakhs to 40 lakhs price range (my budget was 25 Lakhs).
I had booked a black ZS EV in June '22, and had the same experience like everyone else; complete radio silence from the dealer. When things didn’t move as expected, I booked BYD Atto 3 in September and hinted at ZS EV cancellation to the MG SA. That spurred them in action. I received a call from the SA in October with an offer to allocate a silver ZS EV which I politely declined as I wanted a black one. Moreover, I was waiting for Atto 3 pricing to be announced. I heard back from the MG SA in November with a confirmation on the availability of the black vehicle by the end of the month and I had to be ready with the amount for the payment. I hesitantly agreed as all the talk pointed to Atto 3 being priced above 32 lakhs (on road).
On 14th November, the pricing of Atto 3 was announced and sadly, at 36 Lakhs it was out of my budget. I then hastened the process of loan approval for ZS EV and put up my truly amazing 2014 EcoSport 1.5 TDCi for sale.
Other cars I checked out were :
  1. Safari Dark Edition 6 Seater - This was the top contender. Its cost was close to ZS EV but I was apprehensive regarding the rattling noise and other issues of a diesel vehicle cropping up later. The costs for regular servicing and fuel were the other aspects which bothered me.
  2. Toyota Hyryder - The SA had the red car immediately available and I was looking for a black one. Something I couldn’t come to terms with in this vehicle was the interiors. It didn’t “feel” like a car worth 24 lakhs! Probably, it was the hybrid concept we were paying for beside the Toyota engine. It simply didn’t sit well with me.
  3. Maruthi Grand Vitara - Same as the Hyryder, it didn’t seem worth 24 lakhs . Additionally, the dealers were quoting a waiting period which was a turn off.
  4. Skoda Kushaq - I test drove the 1.5 DSG. It was a fun car to drive but the maintenance cost for Skoda and widely reported DSG issues were a detractor for me.
  5. VW Taigun – Same concerns as the Kushaq. Nevertheless, I’d have gone with Kushaq between the two as I quite like its interiors - especially the steering wheel.
  6. Pre-Owned Luxury Cars from Mercedes, BMW or Audi – I was uneasy about the cost of ownership of these pre-owned vehicles; not to mention the tricky part about finding the “right” pre-owned car. Another reason was the high ROI on second hand cars. Hence, this plan was dropped too.
Fast Forward two weeks and I had sold my EcoSport and didn’t own a four-wheeler with an unavoidable road trip coming up in the first week of December. Now the MG dealer (btw, there’s only one dealer for MG in Hyderabad) was saying that they do not have a black ZS EV and couldn’t tell when they’d get one! I was beyond furious! To make matters worse, there was an issue with the loan too. The approval was delayed and when it finally came through, it was for a loan tenure of 5 years rather than 7. It will take another long post to explain the confusion about the rate of interest and tenure.
Meanwhile, I checked out Hyundai Kona. The dealer was offering a flat discount of 2 lakhs. I actually liked the way the car drove but did not proceed with the purchase due to the market sentiment against it.
I then also put in a query for Creta.
After a few discussions with the showroom manager at MG, I finally decided to go ahead with the red ZS EV and selected the accessories to be fitted.
Here comes the twist -- On the night of 24th November, I had a mini anxiety attack worrying about the range of the EV. We were due to travel to Nagpur (from Hyderabad) by road the same week we receive the vehicle. As fate would have it, one of the Hyundai dealers called me about a cherry red, top-end Creta diesel being available. After a few discussions with family and friends I decided to cancel the ZS EV booking and informed the MG SA and his manager of the same. They were quite shocked and said the car was being prepared for installation of the chosen accessories. The manager tried to convince me citing the subsidy on EVs, helplessness about the (un)availability of the black colour and went as far as to say that the black colour is not suitable for Indian weather conditions. I however, insisted on cancellation.
At this point, I was quite unsure as how to proceed. I’ve never been this indecisive in my life! I consulted some of friends and spoke to my wife (who had the major say in this matter). I decided the ZS EV was better of the two. I had a chat with the showroom manager and since there was nothing to be done about the colour, confirmed to him that the sale was ON again. This time, I had to pay 2 lakhs as the down payment to assure them of my commitment.
Finally, I brought the "Red Dragon" home on the 28th of November 2022 and we’ve had memorable drives thus far. I loved the colour and the build quality of the car. I will write another post about the adventures on those drives depending on the traction of this post.

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-20221128_194542.jpg

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-20221128_194547.jpg

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-20221128_183343.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 6th January 2023 at 19:58. Reason: Go through forum rules and avoid debating mod team actions; extra smiley deleted. EDIT: Pictures inserted in-line.
praveen4839 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 00:33   #450
BHPian

I finally got the car today. Silver MG ZS EV Exclusive. Made the booking in May and finally got it. Couple of questions:

1. I find the button on the steering to call MG incredibly annoying. I know that it's possible to change the button mapping to Android Auto which would be a God send because I hate it that changing the temperature is moving away from Android Auto. I have seen several Australian youtubers do this but unable to find this option in the india variant.

2. Any option to reduce the volume of the turn indicators? Quite loud for me. Again seems to be an option abroad.
shyampsunder is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed