Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2024, 10:50   #1876

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

With summer approaching, can feel the burning heat falling on my hands now itself. Could someone please tell me if they installed sun film on their windows in Chennai and is it 100% legal? Thinking of installing a film as magnetic shades would be difficult for front row seats, especially when I have to roll down and up the windows.
Old 14th March 2024, 17:42   #1877
BHPian

Recently became the owner of a Lava Blue Topline AT, enjoying every ride so far 3000km completed, swagat service done as well. One question to the previous owners: Isn't there a Service-Manual kind of thing where the scheduled maintenance activities are mentioned (basically what all things are to be done in 15K/30K/45K/60K service etc)? Owner's manual doesn't mention any such. Service guys didn't give any direct answer as well. Is it not available for Virtus?
dieselOmaniac is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 08:22   #1878
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminivirtus View Post
With summer approaching, can feel the burning heat falling on my hands now itself. Could someone please tell me if they installed sun film on their windows in Chennai and is it 100% legal? Thinking of installing a film as magnetic shades would be difficult for front row seats, especially when I have to roll down and up the windows.
I understand your pain. Our car is White. Yet the heat inside the car is so harsh. But most of the time I use our VW cover when its parked. I dont feel the heat much when I uncover during the mid day. But still I am looking for the sun film installation with minimum 70% visibility in front windshield and 50% visibility in side windows. What makes me to hesitate is that will it control the Chennai heat and be effective with the above % as per govt norms.

One of the friend has confirmed to install sun film for his new XUV 700. I will be tagging along to check it out. I will try my best to update on this. If you get any info, pls do let me know.

Thanks!
Shiva
shiv4747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 09:11   #1879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselOmaniac View Post
Recently became the owner of a Lava Blue Topline AT, enjoying every ride so far 3000km completed, swagat service done as well. One question to the previous owners: Isn't there a Service-Manual kind of thing where the scheduled maintenance activities are mentioned (basically what all things are to be done in 15K/30K/45K/60K service etc)? Owner's manual doesn't mention any such. Service guys didn't give any direct answer as well. Is it not available for Virtus?
Not the perfect answer, but you can get some sense from the service cost calculator on the VW website.
https://www.volkswagen.co.in/app/sit...ostcalculator/

Also helpful in shooing off unnecessary and optional things that the service folks will push.
vinodbollini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 09:15   #1880

Quote:
I have recently installed sun film on our white Virtus GT. 3M CR70 on the windshield and SP70 on the windows and rear. Yet to go out on a longer drive in the sun to highlight the difference it makes but this combination was recommended by fellow enthusiasts. The total cost was around 14.5k.

Can't comment on the 100% legal part.
Roads&Wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 09:18   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
I have installed the STEK Nex 70 on all glass surfaces. Also driven a few days in the Chennai sun (although I don't live in Chennai). Primarily installed it for UV protection (skin cancer is a serious risk). But the heat rejection has been amazing. I also don't seem to need my sunglasses so much. Don't need the AC, and I can't recall the sun burning my hands.

The legality is not my domain, but I am OK to pay a fine for the cancer prevention. Having said that, have not been pulled up across Maharashtra, Karnataka, Telangana and Tamil Nadu so far - driven >2000Kms in each of those states. Also while people do say the car looks good after I tell them about the film, nobody seems to be able to tell on their own. So looks good, but not perceptible as a filmed car.

PS: I have the factory magnetic blinds for the rear seats, rear windscreen and quarter glass, and they stay on all the time. I imagine it helps with the heat rejection also.
vinodbollini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 20:54   #1882

Are there any good options for rat repellant or parking cover ? Please share links. My car is slated for delivery next week. My building has an open parking hence worried about dust accumulation and rats.
travelhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 06:38   #1883

Hi all,

Have observed a slight creaking noise coming from Co passenger side ..Anybody experienced this before ?from where it usually comes ?
Old 18th March 2024, 10:07   #1884
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhead View Post
Are there any good options for rat repellant or parking cover ? Please share links. My car is slated for delivery next week. My building has an open parking hence worried about dust accumulation and rats.
Hi Travelhead,

For cover, the VW cover from the dealership is good and the heat is controlled so much when it is parked in open parking. And also I believe the fit is perfect for the rain and windy season.

Rat repellent, I am not sure. My bro in law is trying every single thing possible for his creta. Rat has bitten fuel injectors multiple time. He has tried the sprays, Tobacco, naphthalene balls. Nothing effective so far.
shiv4747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 12:10   #1885
BHPian

I have tried all jugad but nothing worked as effective as "Car Cat". It will draw some power from the battery while the vehicle is parked (When the car remains unused for 3+ week I mostly end up with a dead battery).

https://carcat.in/

WARNING: I don't own a Virtus. I have these installed in my Swift, Verna and Tiago EV. No problems whatsoever.
kpkeerthi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 13:25   #1886

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv4747 View Post
For cover, the VW cover from the dealership is good and the heat is controlled so much when it is parked in open parking. And also I believe the fit is perfect for the rain and windy season.
Thanks, will contact VW for the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
I have tried all jugad but nothing worked as effective as "Car Cat". It will draw some power from the battery while the vehicle is parked (When the car remains unused for 3+ week I mostly end up with a dead battery).
https://carcat.in/
Thanks, will check this out.
Old 19th March 2024, 16:07   #1887
BHPian

AC vents below the infotainment screen are not throwing air whereas either sides of dash & rear vents are working good.

What could be the cause? Anybody facing same?

Mine is 2023 Aug manufactured Topline AT.
Old 20th March 2024, 09:39   #1888

I am looking to install underseat subs for my GT. Any recommendations? Underseat as I just need a little more bass than what is available now. Can it be done without voiding the warranty ?
Old 20th March 2024, 14:55   #1889
BHPian

Hey! I just came across a reel on VW India's official Instagram handle announcing GT reveal 21.03.24! I'm assuming it is just another special edition. Should we be expecting anything more?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-screenshot_20240320_145308_instagram.jpg  

Last edited by amg5610 : 20th March 2024 at 14:56.
amg5610 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 16:19   #1890

VIRTUS GT Plus – An Ownership experience

Need: An automatic car
The hunt: Begins in 2023

I began my car hunt in 2023. Special thanks to all in Team-BHP for their feedback about their respective cars. Special shout out to the Official reviews which detailed the positives and negatives of the various cars.

I will divide my review into 4 parts:
  • The Hunt
  • The Buying Experience
  • The Service Experience
  • The Driving Experience

The Hunt:
Some of the cars that I considered during my search:

Hyundai Tucson:

Positives:
  • Premium SUV which looks and feels its price
  • Loved the looks esp. the DRLs which look like wings
  • Feature-rich – typical of HYUNDAI
  • Loved the diffused AC – very powerful AC
  • Mr. Mukesh, Sales Advisor - Hyundai, Bhandup, Mumbai – very knowledgeable – maintained regular follow-up, excellent service

Negatives:
  • Felt over-priced, particularly when it didn’t set the market on fire. Would have probably purchased it if I had got a great deal.
  • With the launch of face-lifted KIA SELTOS, the TUCSON didn’t seem that attractive any more esp. due to it’s pricing.
  • Too much body-roll in the rear seat
  • Bose Stereo – very ordinary – poor acoustics and volume in the rear

Hyundai Verna:

Positives:
  • Feature-rich – typical of HYUNDAI
  • Loved the dashboard layout
  • Good AC
  • Liked the design

Negatives:
  • Driving dynamics were uninspiring
  • Futuristic looks may look out-dated after some years
  • Low ground clearance

Kia Seltos (face-lift 2023):

This is the ONE car which ticked all the right boxes for me.

Positives:
  • Looks of the Face-lift version of 2023 are very enticing. Very good design language.
  • Loved the connected DRLs in the front and the connected rear tail-lights
  • Loved the dashboard layout
  • 360-degrees camera with blind-spot monitoring in the MID is extremely useful
  • Rear-view / parking camera – excellent clarity with guide-lines
  • Powerful AC – very effective.
  • Premium interiors
  • Feature-rich car – esp. the GTX Plus and VX-Line
  • Most of the features of ADAS 2 are very useful
  • Sales Advisor maintained regular follow-up.

Negatives:
  • Driving dynamics were uninspiring
  • Safety rating not available.

Tata Nexon EV:

Enjoyed the test drive. The facelift Nexon EV looks smart and is feature-loaded with a very good stereo. But the seating position in the rear is uncomfortable with the raised knees because of the battery-pack under the floor-board (I experienced this in other EVs also).

The Buying Experience
:

I had taken a Test Drive of Volkswagen’s Virtus and Taigun and Skoda’s Kushaq in June 2023. While the 5 star safety ratings inspired confidence, the various videos on YouTube and posts/ reviews about poor AC Performance, rattling sounds, poor plastics and lack of features was disheartening. Since I already had owned Indian, Japanese and Korean cars in the past, my heart was yearning for a German/ Czech or US make this time. Sadly, Jeep had stopped selling petrol Compass in India. Similarly, Skoda Octavia and Superb were no longer available.

I kept on reading various posts on Team-bhp about VW Virtus. Similarly, I watched several videos on YouTube of Virtus and Taigun ownership reviews, drag races etc. Gradually my confidence on VW / Skoda cars increased, but the lack of features was still disappointing.

I had almost decided on buying a Kia Seltos GTX (would have preferred VX-Line with its extra features, but the matte-finish didn’t appeal to us). I decided to take one final Test Drive of VW Virtus and Taigun. The test drive of both cars was fun and brought a smile to my face. Luckily, I could take a test drive of Kia Seltos GTX DCT immediately thereafter. The drive experience of Kia Seltos was absolutely disappointing. The driving dynamics were so uninspiring to me that I checked and re-checked with the Sales Advisor if there’s something wrong with that particular car. With a heavy heart I dropped the Kia Seltos from my list of top picks.

I decided to postpone my car purchase as buying a car was not urgent for me. I already had two cars. My need was for an automatic car with the increasing traffic snarls in Mumbai. My driving had also reduced and hence, I was not in any hurry. With new car launches expected in 2024 and 2025, I decided to wait it out.

And then I got a mouth-watering offer for VW Tiguan. I took the test drive and I was bowled over. It’s a fantastic car and I enjoyed the Test Drive a lot. I had already read and watched reviews of the Tiguan. I immediately booked the Tiguan, though I knew that the current model was at the end of it’s phase of life and globally the facelift version was already launched and is expected in India by 2025. I went ahead with other aspects about buying the car – Finance, Insurance etc. Suddenly it struck me to check if the car was E20 Fuel compliant. I checked with the dealer and various web-sites incl. Team-BHP Forum. But the Tiguan is only E10 fuel compliant. With the Government having already preponed the timelines for introducing E20 Fuel nation-wide by 2025, I felt that it was too much of a risk. Again with a very heavy heart, I decided not to go ahead with the Tiguan.

Enter VW Virtus GT Plus – 1.5L TSI DSG (Reflex Silver).

I immediately went ahead with the purchase of the latest VW Virtus GT Plus (MY 2024 – with electric seats, footwell illumination, sub-woofer and amplifier). I took the delivery of the car from AUTOBAHN – ANDHERI WEST, MUMBAI in January, 2024. Huge thanks to Mr. Abhijeet Mhaskar of Autobahn, Andheri (WEST), Mumbai for his efficient, helpful and courteous service. Besides the standard accessories I added VW Puddle Lamps (they look really smart in the dark).

Here’s my ownership review of the VW’s Virtus GT Plus 1.5L TSI DSG:

Positives
:
  • Engine: Excellent engine, very refined with a good NVH.
  • Build Quality: Solid – decent thud. Door not as solid as Tiguan or Audi Q3.
  • Paint Quality: Very even, smooth finish
  • Audio Quality: The sub-woofer and amp have enhanced the sound quality. Rear speakers are still not as good as the front.
  • Ride Quality: Sporty-ride quality due to stiff suspension.
  • Five-Star safety ratings: Peace of mind.

Negatives:
  • Rattling noise in both front doors: Probably due to improper installation of the Puddle Lamps – fixed during the Swagat service (first).
  • Light switches: Flimsy, to say the least. Definitely not German standards.
  • Rear-view camera: Extremely disappointing. Probably the worst in the market – no clarity. No Guidelines at this price-point!! Really, VW?
  • Boot: Swings up and down, doesn’t stay upright when opened and likely to hurt our head. Fixed during the Swagat service (first).
  • Touch controls for AC: Scary to adjust while driving. For all the claims of safety, this is one feature which beckons an accident.
  • Footwell illumination: Very dim – almost non-existent

The following features missing in a car at this price point is unfathomable
  • No Auto-hold: Extremely useful and a much needed feature in traffic of any major city.
  • 360 degree camera with blind-view monitor in the cockpit: Extremely useful and a much needed feature in traffic of any major city.
  • Ambient Light: Not extended throughout the dashboard and both front doors. The competition offers all of the above and much more.
  • Rear window blinds: Purchased Magnetic blinds from the dealer as one of the “must have” accessories. Should have been included as a standard accessory at this price-point. And why not a pull-up blind like in KIA SELTOS?
  • No dual zone AC
  • No active TPMS
  • No Heads-up display
  • No rear disc brakes

The Service Experience:

Got my first “SWAGAT” Service done recently. The car was picked up by the Service Centre and returned in the evening. The issue of the rattling sound in the RHS door and swinging dicky door was attended to.

A week later I had to visit the Service Centre again because of a rattling sound in the LHS Door, again because of the improper fixing of the puddle lamp. Got under-bonnet dampener installed (cost Rs. 800 plus taxes). Also, got under-body and silencer coating done.

Overall, the Service experience at VW Ram Mandir Service Centre, Mumbai has been excellent. The staff are very cooperative, courteous, friendly and maintain regular follow-up.

The Drive Experience:

It is here that the Virtus GT Plus 1.5 TSI really shows its breed. The drive is smooth and planted. The NVH in the cabin is fabulous. The car begs to be driven hard and fast as it shows how stable it is even at high speeds. While it is undoubtedly exciting to drive it fast, it is equally pleasing to drive it at an even speed of 70 KMPH and experience how smooth the drive is. The high ground clearance ensures that speed-breakers are no longer a worry.

Closing remarks: While I still look longingly at a Tiguan and admire the tech-features of the Kia Seltos, I enjoy the drive experience of VW Virtus GT Plus and look for excuses to take it out on a spin. That truly brings a smile to my face.

Last edited by KarthikK : 20th March 2024 at 16:48. Reason: Multiple edits to remove upper case use. Please use the inbuilt bullets and numbering formatting options instead of using nested bullet structures of roman numerals inside alphabets and so on.
silver_bullet24 is offline   (21) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks