Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2022, 09:56   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
My question is, why does the VW group need similar cars from group companies. Can they simply not focus on one of the models instead and build numbers? Or even simpler, they could have given all sedans to Skoda and kept SUV with VW.
VW/Skoda follows the same globally not just in India. The Tiguan Allspace and Kodiaq. The Jetta/Golf and Octavia. The Polo and Fabia. The KAroq and T-ROC.

The effort for making 2 similar cars in India will probably be lesser and they are on same assembly line. If they can cater 2 different target audiences, then the job is done. VW for younger crowd and the Skoda for older crowd. It also allows brand loyalists of Vento and Polo to continue to stay within the brand and not have to go out of their comfort zone. Earlier a well you had Rapid fans as well as Vento fans. Cannibalization within your own brands is better than with others.

In the larger scheme, I do see your point and personally would have preferred all their products more spread out. For example the VW Taigun should have been a sub 4m option and gone lower in price point from the Kushaq.

They had a good strategy with the T-ROC and Karoq which were similar cars but totally different target segments.
Vid6639 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 10:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

Just because of the looks, it is Virtus over Slavia for me. I am not in the market for a sedan but watched many video reviews of Virtus, just to admire its looks. Got to give it to VW for their designs; be it SUVs or Sedans, their designs appear classier than Skoda.

I think it makes sense to ditch the MT for the top-end 1.5 engine. People who choose a manual at the 20L price point are any way shrinking and will go down further with the ever-increasing traffic density in cities. There will be purists who might want it, but then purists don't bring the volume.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 7th May 2022 at 10:53.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 10:50   #48
BHPian

Looks like few important comfort features like "driving modes (sport), 360-degree camera & electric driver's seat adjustment" missing is going to be a deal breaker for me.

360-degree camera and driver sear adjustment/memory are the absolute necessary features I am looking for in my next car.

But over all a very good looking and balanced car from VW and going to bring many people back into sedan fold or at least hold them back without defecting to SUV/Crossover fold.
Old 7th May 2022, 11:30   #49
BHPian

Nice detailed review, although the same review can more or less be interchanged with all 4 MQB-A0IN cars

What we now need is an official detailed teambhp comparison on all four cars.

Having test driven 3 of the 4 cars extensively in the city, here are my quick notes

Ride Comfort: Slavia >> Taigun=Kushaq

Handling: Taigun > Kushaq > Slavia (Personally in city, all cars felt more or less the same, but ranking this way after looking at Zigwheels handling test)

Braking: Similar, but I felt Kushaq had more initial bite

Gearbox: Slavia > Taigun = Kushaq (I believe the unit in Slavia is slightly more slick and slots in better than the SUV's, though the clutch travel and weight is exactly the same)

Interior Quality, Fit and Finish Taigun has marginally better fit and finish due to its more conventional and clean design over Slavia (flimsy multi layerered dashboard and horizontal copper element), but the quality of buttons and roof liner was noticeably better in Slavia

Going by multiple reviews on Virtus, it appears to have slightly stiffer suspension over Slavia which should translate into slightly better handling on paper, I am expecting it to drive like Taigun while retaining the improvements in gearbox and interior quality of the Slavia. Overall, the Virtus has to be the best looking car from India 2.0 stable with excellent road presence which is sorely lacking in the SUV's.
vagman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 12:26   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagman View Post
Nice detailed review, although the same review can more or less be interchanged with all 4 MQB-A0IN cars

What we now need is an official detailed teambhp comparison on all four cars.

Having test driven 3 of the 4 cars extensively in the city, here are my quick notes

Handling: Taigun > Kushaq > Slavia (Personally in city, all cars felt more or less the same, but ranking this way after looking at Zigwheels handling test)
This is very surprising. Are these mini SUVs really better at handling than the Slavia? The Rapid was relatively good at handling, what did Skoda do to make their sedan's handling worse than a mini SUV?

Edit -
OK, the official review thinks the Slavia handles better than the Kushaq.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/skoda-...n-skoda-kushaq

Last edited by Chrome6Boy : 7th May 2022 at 12:28.
Old 7th May 2022, 13:37   #51
Senior - BHPian

So weird how VW gave all media houses red cars. Comeon use the chance to send all colour combination to different media houses so public can decide what's best.
Nithesh_M is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 15:00   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Training for the Dealerships is scheduled around 18th of this Month, by then will get clarity on the 1.5 GT Manual
karan561 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 15:25   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

The VAG-customer choice, worldwide, goes like this...

Those who can't afford Audi buy VW; those that can't afford VW buy Skoda. (and Europe offers some other alternatives such as Seat).

A few years back, Skoda upset the system by not only offering lower price packages of a-bit-less-for-lower-cost but offering a bit more for lower cost. They included extras that VW hadn't even thought of. Wasn't there a European Skoda that included an umbrella?

VAG has had pecking-order problems in India, because Skoda had a presence as a posh car before VW even showed up. Without that, it might have made more sense to kick Skoda out, and continue here with VW=a-bit-posh, Audi=posher.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 16:00   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossilpastprime View Post
In the Autocar review, at around 6:50, the reviewer states that VW has hinted the possibility of a manual transmission for the Virtus 1.5 by the time the vehicle gets formally launched. That would be a clincher. Keeping fingers crossed and awaiting inputs from fellow members here.
I had booked on 1.5 DSG on day zero of unveiling. Been in touch with dealers since. One dealer representative in South Bombay had confirmed that 1.5 will be available and the other in Andheri never ruled out the possibility.

Hunch is, 1.5 manual will be there in showrooms when we go TDing.
Old 7th May 2022, 18:03   #55
BHPian

Just wow!
This car has serious potential to bring back good old days for sedans.
Have seen this car up-close in person and it's HUGE.
A diesel engine would have definitely sealed the deal for many, like me, who are sitting on the fence.

Hope it doesn't get plagued with niggle like initial VW-Skoda twins from their 2.0 lineup.
Didn't hear much of those EPC / fuel pump issues off-late so fingers crossed!

Price it perfectly and it can definitely shoot down some of the "SUV" numbers.
Launching an all new car in shrinking market segment of sedans may turn out to be smart move.
Best luck VW-Skoda!
DriveOnceMore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 18:41   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
This car has serious potential to bring back good old days for sedans.
Price it perfectly and it can definitely shoot down some of the "SUV" numbers.
Launching an all new car in shrinking market segment of sedans may turn out to be smart move.
The reality is that the Slavia/Virtus will probably end up shooting down the Kushaq/Taigun!

These two sedans make the other two SUVs seem grossly overpriced.
Old 7th May 2022, 19:38   #57

Hey,

Nice Detailed review there. This is honestly on my list as the next addition to the garage.
It should be a nice platform to build upon, it surely has the 1.5 TSI for it as well as the looks to match. I want to know what series of DSG Gearbox is this one?
Old 7th May 2022, 19:52   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan0278 View Post
Hey,

I want to know what series of DSG Gearbox is this one?
Same DQ200 as on the earlier Polo GTs, Vento TSI, though Zac Hollis has said they have done improvements on the gearbox.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 21:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

Is the interior quality any better? I drove a taigun 1.5 GT recently and while the car looked great and premium from the outside, the moment I sat inside, all I could see was cost cutting and cheap plastic. Everything from the buttons, to the shifter knob, to the backup camera quality, to the door handles, to the tiny sunroof, to the blank buttons on a top model, just scream economy car which is very surprising since it cost around 20l.

Ignore the screens and you will find that even marutis and hyundais from years ago had better interiors for around half the price. After all the talk about german quality engineering, I was very surprised. Is it really worth spending this much money just to have something that looks good to people from the outside while you sit inside in the low budget interiors? Combine this with the lack of diesel engines and this is basically a great weekend fun car but I don't know if its a good choice for people looking for a daily or for single car households.
Old 8th May 2022, 08:49   #60
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful car, but I’m biased towards Skoda and love the Slavia tail lamps especially.

IMHO the GT line should have the Dynamic line alloys, and the Dynamic Line should get silver versions of the GT Line alloys. Interior plastic quality has fallen, but I’m glad sheet metal and structural quality hasn’t.

This car looks so much like a Jetta that I’d be tempted just based on the perceived VFM. Skoda and VW will continue moving up the sales chart with these new launches. Exciting times for sedan buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
There's a good amount of knee room and headroom for the adults in the rear seat. At 5'10", I didn't have any difficulty sitting behind my driving position. Only occupants well over 6' in height might find the headroom tight. If you had to compare, the Honda City and Maruti Ciaz fare better in this area, but the Virtus isn't uncomfortable at all.
I’ve seen a lot of people praise the Ciaz rear seat head room. I’ve sat in my sister’s Ciaz, and bumped my head every time the car goes over a speed breaker or undulations in the road. I have to slide my butt forward and slouch to avoid this (I’m 179cms tall, for reference). Not sure why reviewers praise it for head room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Is the interior quality any better? I drove a taigun 1.5 GT recently and while the car looked great and premium from the outside, the moment I sat inside, all I could see was cost cutting and cheap plastic.
Lucky for us that they’ve cut costs there instead of structural integrity and sheet metal like some competitors. I’ll accept this over a gizmo-laden tin can any day. Can’t have an affordable car without compromising on something, and IMHO they’ve got their priorities right - strong build, engines, drive train and suspension.

Last edited by VeluM : 8th May 2022 at 08:54. Reason: Quote
VeluM is online now   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks