Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2022, 23:34   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Honestly speaking, the thick black portion of the front bumper along with the excess use of chrome both at the front and back is a put off. I'm a fan of the Jetta and the Polo design. The bumper makes it look like a gaudy aftermarket fitment.
Depends what you are comparing with! The Taigun has a much more artificial and grotesquely thick curly chrome bar upfront

IMO, the amount of chrome on the Virtus is acceptable. A little bit of it does add to the charm and sophistication long term. Too much of it, and it becomes hard to look at and live with every day.

The Virtus in Curcuma yellow looks mind blowing! Would be hard pressed to guess it is a 15-20 lakh car.

So wish they had given us the proper virtual cockpit as in the Octavia/T-Roc.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 13th May 2022 at 23:35.
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 00:54   #107
Senior - BHPian

Liking the Virtus a lot, especially the styling and stance in comparison with the Slavia. At the same thinking whether giving up my Altis VL which still drives swell and paying the extra cost is going to be worth it after all. Maybe a test drive will give me the answer, hopefully.
nickatnite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 00:59   #108
BHPian

The car is a looker, still can't decide whether the slavia or the virtus looks better, I wish volkswagen had given the subwoofer with the Virtus too, would have completed the package.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 05:14   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Depends what you are comparing with!
It's sibling, the Slavia, of course.

The Taigun is at least a wannabe SUV. The Virtus should have been an elegant understated timeless design, The black makes it look like a gaping mouth.

Maybe it looks better in person.

Last edited by discoverwild : 14th May 2022 at 05:21.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 09:23   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
The car is a looker, still can't decide whether the slavia or the virtus looks better, I wish volkswagen had given the subwoofer with the Virtus too, would have completed the package.
Can the subwoofer from Slavia be fitted on Virtus ? I guess it should be a coupler to coupler fit with no major modification required.
Old 14th May 2022, 09:29   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
In continuation of my above post, here are some Interior pictures of the same car;

Attachment 2307390
Happy to see the first scoop for interiors of GT line other than Wild Cherry Red without the on your face red themed panels.
The key advantage of Virtus wrt looks vis a vis Slavia is in terms of 1.5 line up. The dual tone and GT badging definitely enhances the look.
In Slavia even after spending a considerable price over 1.0 l engine, there is zilch differentiation. Hope Skoda listens and comes out with refreshed Monte Carlo version / SlaviaRS soon.
Kushaq Monte Carlo version interiors was definitely a let down.
Javelin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 10:00   #112
BHPian

Any update whether the car reached Bangalore showrooms? If anyone has details let me know.
Kashi053 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 10:02   #113
BHPian

German Engineering has been truly localised.

1. A tad too much bling in the front in the form of chrome.
2. Happy to see that both the wipers can be flexed now away from the windshield. (Assuming as the dealership would otherwise not scratch a new car) Earlier in the Vento, the passenger wiper could not be fully flexed away fully without scratching the end of the bonnet. Used to be a pain while cleaning the windshield.

The yellow looks truly dashing. Would still wait to see in person on the roads though.
nick.cs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 10:03   #114
BHPian

Quote:
1st pictures of the Curcuma Yellow GT Line;
Attachment 2307382

The Curcuma Yellow on the Virtus definitely looks more rad!
Almost looks like a wrap, will surely be quite a head turner!
Atharva14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 11:04   #115
BHPian

That Curcuma yellow color looks awesome! However while rest all design looks elegant, I am put off by the huge lower black applique on the front. To me it could have been a bit smaller.

Virtus looks clean and elegant whereas Slavia appears sophisticated. I saw a blue Slavia and it was definitely a head turner. I wish they get good numbers.
Old 14th May 2022, 11:10   #116
BHPian

The yellow GT line looks insane!

If I were to get the Virtus, the first thing I would do is change the tyre and wheel setup. Whatever I can do to reduce that enormous wheel well gap.

The stance of the car is going to be so good with some lowering too!

Is there a murdered out black exterior paint option as well?
Now that would be something.
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 11:50   #117
BHPian

If fellow BHPians remember a couple of months ago when the Škoda Slavia came to the showroom floors I just couldn't hold any patience and went to my nearest Škoda showroom to check the Slavia out and recorded and posted my first impressions on Team-BHP ( https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5256548 (Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview) ), so naturally I couldn't hold my horses when I got the news that Virtus had finally arrived the showroom floors. The showroom was pretty much deserted which was a boon for me since it allowed me to take my time and closely observe the different aspects of the car and before you ask, no I wasn't able to do a TD. So here goes my observation:
  • The car looks really nice in person and you just cannot predict the way it will look like in the real life by just seeing it via digital media and I request everybody whether interested in buying the Virtus or not to at least pay a visit and have at least a look at this car. Until now I believed that the Škoda Slavia was the best designed mid-size sedan in the segment but now there is no competition, the Virtus is the best designed car in its segment, somehow Volkswagen have managed to strike the right balance between elegance, sexiness and timeless design, VW often gets bashing for making boring(although timeless) designed cars and well here they have given their answer! Although as much as I love the design my only grouse is the fact that Volkswagen in a bid to make the car in GT line sporty have given full gloss black painted alloys which considering the extremely tough and dusty environment of our country would be a pain to maintain.

• On a related note Volkswagen have given GoodYear tyres in the Virtus which although not very good is still better than its sibling which gives rubbish CEAT tyres on its Slavia but still I believe both VW and Škoda at least in the 1.5L variants should provide better/sportier Yokohama/Michelin rubber as these cars with their ballistic engines definitely need some serious grip while dropping the anchor from silly speeds, also Virtus like other VAG 2.0 cars doesn't get rear disc brakes but the front discs on the GT version like the Taigun get red callipers, also like rest of the VAG cars there is full wheel-arch cladding on all the wheels, no cost-cutting there, good job VW.

• The boot space is similar to the Slavia and is actually quite spacious and Virtus can easily do those airport runs when you need to drop your mother-in-law back . Although on a related note the plastic panel of the boot in the area surrounding the boot latch was flimsily attached which made it look very out of place, even my dad's 2010 WagonR has better plastic around that area. I don't know if it was a specific issue in that car but better Volkswagen rectify it before delivering the cars to customers since its simply unacceptable in a 20L INR Volkswagen premium sedan, also like the Slavia the boot is having partial cladding only and the boot ceiling is actually unconcealed and not even properly painted, the covering material of the boot was not properly cut and felt like someone cut it with a pair of blade manually at the last minute

• The doors like rest of the cars from VAG were really hefty and had that proper German thud, also the insulation and rubber beadings were all present in generous amount, no cost-cutting there. Also, the doors from inside had a very nice soft leather pad for the elbow rest and the door handles too felt robust, absolutely no complaints there.

• The interiors are a step up from the Taigun for sure and more in line with the Slavia I experienced a few months ago. The dashboard plastic though hard felt nice to touch and feel and the quality of grains too was nicer and I hope it ages nicely without getting brittle considering the harsh tropical sun in our country. The red touches in real life don't look that much gaudy as they did in the pictures and actually help in the breaking the usual black and beige monotony.

• The steering wheel is IMHO the best part of the interior in this car along with the Taigun and much better looking than Škodas new 2spoke design and a nice departure from the same old VW steering which was seen right from Polo to Passat! The steering had a nice and perforated leather wrap which made it grippy to hold and the switches mounted on it felt tactile, though I've a small suggestion for not only Volkswagen but for other OEMs too, in foreign countries I've seen OEMs offer heated steering wheel as the drivers' hand there becomes too cold and car tries to comfort him, in India considering the harsh heat, especially when the car becomes like an oven when parked under the direct sunlight, can we get cooled steerings, which compounded with the ventilated seats and a chiller air-con would make our lives oh so more bearable during the harsh and humid summers.

• On the subject of seats, the front two seats in the Virtus GT now come with Ventilation which I think is implemented by VW after the feedback they received since the Taigun GT+ was devoid of this useful convenience feature, also the leather felt nice and supple and the compound was also excellent, although a tad bit softer than I would have liked but still very comfortable indeed.
    What was rather a cause of concern for me was the fact the centre console which is finished in gloss black was creaking!!, though not as bad as the one in Creta but it was very very shocking indeed, also that gloss black panel on the centre console and dashboard though looks nice would be a pain to maintain in our dusty environment and in no time would be full of scratches and swirls no matter how much you try keeping it clean with microfibres.

• The rear seats too were comfortable and spacious, though I must say that they are not all that roomy as the exterior dimensions and looks suggest and just like the Slavia the space was good but not class-leading and somehow I found the head-room to be on the lower side, also the bench is best for two only, the third passengers' seat base is raised and the seatback itself was quite hard and not comfortable for long drives, although that portion does carry an armrest with twin cupholders. A point which I noted there and found a bit weird was the fact that in the armrest, just near the cupholders the leather cover was no tucked in properly and was protruding a little bit, its hard to describe but try to imagine when your shirt isn't tucked in properly into your trousers and when it juts out it looks a bit odd, its the same case here, a small thing but felt like sharing.

Overall I would say that I'm much more happy with what Volkswagen have done with the Virtus and have incorporated many of the feedback from the Taigun and improved on those fronts with this car and feels more like a full fledged attempt by them than say the Taigun which TBH at least in the initial batches felt like a half-heated attempt, though there is a lot more way to go and a full 5-6 years ownership experience would properly analyse if these newer lot of cars age gracefully like their illustrious predecessors due to which VAG cars in India got the title of affordable luxury. Now some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

The front end looks mean and sporty but at the same time graceful and elegant

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_ae879a5d59ef1.jpeg

The side profile is particularly sporty but at the same time is very elegant and like VW says has a Limousine vibe to it.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_62c1b30257781.jpeg

The rear again keeping in line with rest of the design philosophy is sporty as well as elegant, also IMHO the new VW roundel suits the best in this car

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_956676fb02d71.jpeg

The boot ceiling like the Škoda Slavia was left unconcealed and even though there were no dangling wires it felt a bit odd and could have been covered.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_ade2294d7e391.jpeg

The alloy wheels are nicely designed but I don't know how much practical would be these jet black alloys would be in our dusty environment, also this particular car was shod with GoodYear tyres though I would have liked if VW gave some nice Michelin/Pirelli rubber keeping in line with the sporty performance especially in 1.5L variants

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_c3ec207a49b51.jpeg

The Virtus does get full wheel arch claddings on all 4wheels which is highly appreciated at a time when some SUVs costing upwards of 50L simply doesn't have any.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_986855b56e841.jpeg

The interiors are nicely designed and the quality levels too are definitely a step up from the Taigun and more in line with the Slavia. The red inserts don't look gaudy and actually lend a sporty and youthful vibe in the cabin.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_c5e00ab423dd1.jpeg

The plastic used on top of the dashboard though not soft touch, felt nice to hold and the grains were definitely of better quality than the Taigun. I hope it doesn't become brittle and start to crack after a few years of exposure under harsh sun.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_deb1868ffce41.jpeg

The doors too like other VAGs felt really hefty and had that proper, reassuring German thud, also proper rubber beadings and insulation materials were used, the hinges too were thick and properly painted, no cost-cutting there, good job VW

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_bbbeb87d7df81.jpeg

The driver's seat was comfortable and accommodating, although tad bit softer than my preference but still nothing to complain of, also VW seems to have taken feedback and equip the Virtus GT with ventilated seats unlike Taigun GT+ which didn't offer this feature.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_af1c1b2a8f2e1.jpeg

The steering wheel was by far my favourite part of the interior, it has a lovely perforated leather wrap, which makes it grippy and amazing to hold, the switches felt tactile and the new design is so much more fresher than the decade old design we are used too see from Volkswagen, also like all other VAGs it has tilt and telescopic adjustment. The horn though is meek sounding and a far cry from the sweet sounding windtone found in the Tiguan.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_6cdd89e623081.jpeg

The centre console is finished in gloss black which would definitely be a pain to maintain in our conditions, also it was creaking on applying some force though not as bad as Creta but hopefully VW solves it before it begins actual customer deliveries. The DSG lever though is smart looking though I would have loved to see a good old 6MT here along with that ballistic 1.5TSi.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_2aeaec80bc751.jpeg

The roofliner is updated and at par with the Slavia but still there was a fair bit of flex when I applied some force.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_78c7f229303e1.jpeg

The GT variant has sport Aluminium pedals which looked very sporty, also the carpeting is black which is practical for our grimy environment especially during monsoons.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_317f8cc532231.jpeg

The rear seats were spacious too but not the best in class and I personally felt it was a tad bit lower on headroom, also the bench is contoured and best for two adults only for long journeys.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_a96fc0c92f681.jpeg

The leather padding on the armrest wasn't properly tucked in and looked a bit odd and aftermarketish, hopefully VW fixes it soon

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_4faaaf3292c21.jpeg

A parting shot

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_6bd550a9409e1.jpeg

Thank you for reading!

Last edited by Tony2298 : 14th May 2022 at 11:56. Reason: Typo,proof-reading
Tony2298 is offline   (75) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 11:51   #118
BHPian

Quote:
1st pictures of the Curcuma Yellow GT Line;

Attachment 2307376
The yellow looks a killer...But I'm not sure how this would age compared to the Red. The contrast it provides for the GT bits is amazing.Hope to see it in person and take a call on RED or this juicy yellow..
kaushiksudra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 12:24   #119
BHPian

I really hope VW and Skoda aim to focus on the AC problems after the launch of the Virtus. Since the cars are from the same stable, I wouldn't be much surprised if the Virtus has been launched without the group figuring out the AC issues on this one.
adigup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 12:38   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
Happy to see the first scoop for interiors of GT line other than Wild Cherry Red without the on your face red themed panels.
It looks a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.cs View Post
Earlier in the Vento, the passenger wiper could not be fully flexed away fully without scratching the end of the bonnet.
Not actually true. There is a sequence (Polo, and I assume Vento would be the same) of ignition key and wiper switch that moves the wipers up a few inches so that they can be extended without fouling the bonnet.

It is very simple --- and very hard to remember!* And something that just should not have been necessary. I wonder how many car cleaners outside of VW dealer/service know it?

*which is why I am not quoting it: I'd have to look at the manual! When I clean the windscreen/blades I just move them up slightly taking care not to contact the bonnet.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 14th May 2022 at 12:40.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks